Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

DrPop posted:

But...her stats :(

When and how does a heresy usurp the non-heresy as the "proper" religion? Can that even happen with Orthodox?

Tutor him under any iconoclast person then. It doesn't matter who it is as long as they're iconoclast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DrPop posted:

When and how does a heresy usurp the non-heresy as the "proper" religion? Can that even happen with Orthodox?

Possibly when religious head is given to a member of that heresy? I've never tried or seen it happen.

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

DrPop posted:

They can't. Maybe it's possible with some modding, but the last time I tried the game froze when I made Orthodoxy a heresy of the Monothelites using some copied and altered Legacy of Rome events.

Turkeybro
Nov 12, 2011

Looking for strong men to discover what's under the helmet.
The new customizer dlc is pretty fun.

I think this name more accurately describes the region than Finland ever could

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

I've had a person in my prison for 55 years. I'm not sure how she avoided being blotted, but she's a trooper. There are others that are nearing their 50 year anniversary. I want to think it's a large hotel at this point.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

ChikoDemono posted:

I've had a person in my prison for 55 years. I'm not sure how she avoided being blotted, but she's a trooper. There are others that are nearing their 50 year anniversary. I want to think it's a large hotel at this point.

One thing I like to try and do if I capture sons of lords when out raiding is to teach them the ways of the Norse and then release them on the off chance they inherit their fathers lands.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Did the recent patch screw something up with fertility? I started a game with the Ua Brians and none of my daughters in any generation will have any kids. They don't have any traits that should prevent pregnancy nor do any of their husbands. I'm working on the 3rd generation of women without kids. Obviously, I haven't tested it a lot but it just seems weird.

E: Also, betrothals aren't automatically advancing to the marriage option. I have to break the betrothal and then propose a marriage each time. Time to just abandon this playthrough?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 22, 2013

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Hey people. Still looking for any interested takers for a game of multiplayer CK2+ on Friday at 7 PM EST. We would be using Mumble for voice chat on the server 76.72.167.240, and the channel CK2Goons. I'll be there from 6:30 PM onward getting people the latest dev build of CK2+ because the next official release is Saturday. If you don't have a microphone but still want in that's cool, there is chat built into the game. Got four or five for sure at the moment, would love more.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

WilliamAnderson posted:

Hey people. Still looking for any interested takers for a game of multiplayer CK2+ on Friday at 7 PM EST. We would be using Mumble for voice chat on the server 76.72.167.240, and the channel CK2Goons. I'll be there from 6:30 PM onward getting people the latest dev build of CK2+ because the next official release is Saturday. If you don't have a microphone but still want in that's cool, there is chat built into the game. Got four or five for sure at the moment, would love more.

Do you know if multiplayer games are mac & pc compatible? i.e. can a user on mac connect to a game hosted on PC? This has been an issue in the past v0v, I'll stop by and see if it works, but I'm not expecting it too.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Decided that the wunderkind member of my dynasty was my best bet to get my kingdoms of Norway and Sweden back. I marry her off to my martial, matrilineally, since he's a beast, and push her claim for Norway, and she pushes her own claim afterward for Sweden, winning both.

Then she has her first child. What the? He's inbred? That's odd. I thought my martial was a Welsh Suomenusko.

Finally it hit me. He was weird because he was my old king's sister's son, and when her Suomenusko husband died, I reinvited her back to court to take advantage of her high stats. She brought her two children with her. And the new queen of Norway and Sweden was said king's youngest daughter. I had inadvertently married the most powerful woman north of Greece to her uncle. God drat it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

Decided that the wunderkind member of my dynasty was my best bet to get my kingdoms of Norway and Sweden back. I marry her off to my martial, matrilineally, since he's a beast, and push her claim for Norway, and she pushes her own claim afterward for Sweden, winning both.

Then she has her first child. What the? He's inbred? That's odd. I thought my martial was a Welsh Suomenusko.

Finally it hit me. He was weird because he was my old king's sister's son, and when her Suomenusko husband died, I reinvited her back to court to take advantage of her high stats. She brought her two children with her. And the new queen of Norway and Sweden was said king's youngest daughter. I had inadvertently married the most powerful woman north of Greece to her uncle. God drat it.

Hey, it's historically accurate! I mean, we as players of a computer game usually manage to minimize that sort of thing because we know that inbreeding is bad, but it took a ridiculously long time for the real-life rulers of Europe to figure that out.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
They did sort of know. In the churches of western Europe, Cosanguinity was forbidden at 4 (and then later 7) degrees or less, by the scheme of their primitive geneology tables. That's a reasonably tight restriction. There were ways around it though, especially for rich nobles who only like marrying other rich nobles.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Mister Bates posted:

Hey, it's historically accurate! I mean, we as players of a computer game usually manage to minimize that sort of thing because we know that inbreeding is bad, but it took a ridiculously long time for the real-life rulers of Europe to figure that out.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DrPop posted:

Maybe never. In my Zoroastrian game, Orthodoxy got completely replaced by Iconoclasm. I searched and there's not a single Orthodox character in the game.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Playing for the first time since June, has the martial trait been strengthened? I'm winning a lot more battles were I'm outnumbered now.

Also, if I marry a lunatic is she likely to murder me in my sleep? What are the risks?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

HenessyHero posted:

They did sort of know. In the churches of western Europe, Cosanguinity was forbidden at 4 (and then later 7) degrees or less, by the scheme of their primitive geneology tables. That's a reasonably tight restriction. There were ways around it though, especially for rich nobles who only like marrying other rich nobles.

Yeah people love to post Charles II of Spain when the subject comes up but that degree of inbreeding was rare.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Charlz Guybon posted:

Also, if I marry a lunatic is she likely to murder me in my sleep? What are the risks?

Lunatics and possessed just start murder plots on random people even if they have nothing to gain from it, but since most people won't like them they have trouble getting backers against anyone liked by people.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Pyromancer posted:

Lunatics and possessed just start murder plots on random people even if they have nothing to gain from it, but since most people won't like them they have trouble getting backers against anyone liked by people.

I once had a vassal King of Finland who was Possessed and hated my guts, plotted for inpdendence etc. The new plot UI features are tremendous, I had a 640% plot power assassination project going on him with a few clicks. That's how much everyone hates Possessed characters.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Abandoned my doomed Rurikid game for now, started one as the duchy of Lithuania. Holy poo poo the Baltics are dogpile shitfest. Have already managed to make the Kingdom of Lithuania with my second ruler, though. Will be interesting to see if I can survive.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm playing as the Republic of Pisa, currently making up claims in any independent territory around Italy I can (though I'd love to cruzh Venice since they alway try to embargo or seize my territories), but now I'm a bit worried because I have the Ilkhanate to the east moving slowly but getting closer, and the Aztecs to the west, having just conquered most of France.

So, should I just wait until they get to Italy and surrender or does the Sunset Invasión stop at some point? My only hope is that the HRE manages to stop their advance.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Rather than hope, why don't you help the HRE out?

Anyways, speaking of Italy, is it just me or does Lothringia end up conquering Italy way too often?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Charlz Guybon posted:

Rather than hope, why don't you help the HRE out?

Anyways, speaking of Italy, is it just me or does Lothringia end up conquering Italy way too often?
It's usually an inheritance thing, the king of Lotharingia starts with a wife over 45 years old and no legitimate children so the king of Italy will end up inheriting it fairly often.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My Old Gods start as Catholic Thomond is a mixture of very tense and very dull.
Tense, because there are all these Norse around who could squash me very easily if they put their mind to it.
Dull, because they've mostly left me alone and the only real means of expansion at the moment is via fabricated claims.

I did manage to get the two provinces belonging to the Petty King of Tara (you start with a claim), which was very useful. Hired some mercs and that was that.
Scotland has done a reasonable job of holding back the Norse, meaning that when Ivar died, he only had a handful of provinces. This - and his son's sudden lack of alliances - let me grab Dublin with a De Jure claim. There's still an angry norseman there, but I can probably take him in a fight.

My next move is probably to try and revoke Dublin and hope my Chancellor fabricates a claim soon. Norse Cornwall is eating up coastal provinces and making me twitchy.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Kicking myself for missing the steam sale this summer. I feel like I'm cheating myself not being able to start 200 years earlier.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Maybe never. In my Zoroastrian game, Orthodoxy got completely replaced by Iconoclasm. I searched and there's not a single Orthodox character in the game.
I saw this happen in one of my games too. The first emperor went Iconoclast and took the entire empire with him. By the time I noticed Orthodox was a dead religion.

Weird that it's happened to at least three of us for the same heresy. I've never seen any Catholic or Muslim nation just convert almost immediately at the start like that. Is there something specific causing it?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Sindai posted:

I saw this happen in one of my games too. The first emperor went Iconoclast and took the entire empire with him. By the time I noticed Orthodox was a dead religion.

Weird that it's happened to at least three of us for the same heresy. I've never seen any Catholic or Muslim nation just convert almost immediately at the start like that. Is there something specific causing it?

Low MA, perhaps? I think Orthodoxy have less because they own less of their Holy Sites.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
If memory serves a few of the Byzantine dukes at the 867 start are Iconoclast from the off, so presumably the emperor's getting that "xyz courtier is trying to convert me to his/her heresy!" event and taking the option to convert.

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.

Fat Samurai posted:

Family tree

Besides all the cousin banging each other, I counted three guys who married their own nieces. I knew they were incestuous but the Hapsburgs were pretty hosed up. The tree grows back into itself. Charles II didn't stand a chance.

FingersMaloy fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 22, 2013

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

WilliamAnderson posted:

I think I can make this, count me in.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
So, it is 1275 and I've finally managed to create the Empire Of Brittania from a 1066 start date as Ua Brian.

Now that I've reached that goal, what is there left to do? I've no particular desire to conquer anything else, since I'm pretty sure I can beat everybody.
So, any goals left? Or should I restart with a mod perhaps? If so, any recommendations for a starting character and the mod?
Also, I've disabled Sunset Invasion, would the Aztecs still trigger if I enable it again?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

WilliamAnderson posted:

Never played multiplayer, never played CKII+, but it sounds interesting.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Rockopolis posted:

Never played multiplayer, never played CKII+, but it sounds interesting.

You will be stabbed, continuously. If everyone is a part of the HRE/Byzantine Empire it will be riven by strife the entire time.

It's great.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kalenden posted:

So, it is 1275 and I've finally managed to create the Empire Of Brittania from a 1066 start date as Ua Brian.

Now that I've reached that goal, what is there left to do? I've no particular desire to conquer anything else, since I'm pretty sure I can beat everybody.
So, any goals left? Or should I restart with a mod perhaps? If so, any recommendations for a starting character and the mod?
Also, I've disabled Sunset Invasion, would the Aztecs still trigger if I enable it again?
If you don't restart, when I'm bored of conquest I just try to get as many relatives on the thrones of different places as I can. Not to inherit down the line or anything, just to get the dynasty map as colored in as possible.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You will be stabbed, continuously. If everyone is a part of the HRE/Byzantine Empire it will be riven by strife the entire time.

It's great.

If someone plays a Byzantine guy then you should try to have as many kids as you can quickly because eventually he will capture you and then cut your balls off.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Did anyone claim Venice? It might be interesting to join in by swearing fealty to the Byz.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

nutranurse posted:

The Karlings can go straight to hell. Their incessant inter-family wars has led to my continental Europe looking like a hosed to death mishmash of ugly colors and equally ugly borders. I cannot wait for the Aztecs and the Mongols to show up and sort things out a bit.

Karlings II: The Journey Continues

:argh:

Definitely triggering the Aztecs soon.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Kalenden posted:

Switch characters to some other ruler and see what the AI does with your empire.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Alikchi posted:

Karlings II: The Journey Continues

:argh:

Definitely triggering the Aztecs soon.

This is why I pretty much never use the 867 start date.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Sorry 876 start date owns. gently caress pretty borders gently caress historical Europe.
At least the Karlings always make mainland Europe interesting, probably leads to more unique save imports into EU4. Its pretty boring always having France, England and HRE dominate western Europe in pretty much the same way, unless the player gets involved or a Muslim gets lucky though in the latter case it just turns it into a blob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
How does the HRE get so huge anyway? In my game it rules everything from just below Denmark, all the way to Brittany, down to the Italian boot and has made progress into the Byzantine empire. Are they seriously meant to grow that fast?

• Locked thread