Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Maybe it just had a Taunus V4 swapped in, why do you have to automatically assume Pivit is wrong?

[/img]

This is a cooler v4:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_1109_v4_motorcycle_engine/viewall.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

160hp out of a 1645cc v4? Weak.
206whp out of a 1078cc v4... or 202whp on pump gas.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

160hp out of a 1645cc v4? Weak.
206whp out of a 1078cc v4... or 202whp on pump gas.

it's usable power / pound that matters

I bet you think GM LS is weak as well

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Giblet Plus! posted:

it's usable power / pound that matters

I bet you think GM LS is weak as well

No, I just enjoy bikes that are actually usable on the track rather than some dyno queen. If you think that RSV4 isn't a missile on a road course then I have no idea what to tell you.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
you're comparing an all out sports bike to a sports tourer. I'd rather have the motus:

edit - also it sounds cooler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jzl_TVlWT4

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Giblet Plus! posted:

you're comparing an all out sports bike to a sports tourer. I'd rather have the motus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jzl_TVlWT4

You can't even buy a Motus or motus motor.

Maybe you're into the sport touring bike thing, I'm not and have ridden a 3000mi round trip on a sportbike without an issue.

RSV4 sounds pretty cool, imo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z-NmVNoXs0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41954jzlvhE

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 22, 2013

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Aargh posted:

As far as I understood it VW to technically owns Porsche but the Porsche family technically own about 50 percent of VW.

They're in the process of buying Porsche out from under them. Porsche is in big debt, VW Group is massively wealthy as a company.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Phone posted:

You can fit a Lexus V6 in the back of the ZZW30s...

My wife's dad has one with a 2GR swap, and it is poo poo-your-pants fast. The rear end steps out if you look at the throttle wrong (even with Toyo R1Rs), you can't hold a conversation at anything over idle, and the radio wiring is hosed thanks to a dipshit PO, but none of that matters because it goes like stink and makes glorious sounds.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Giblet Plus! posted:

[]http://i.imgur.com/AjwkZCA.jpg[/timg]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TVlWT4

He's not comparing a showroom-stock bike, either. Aprilia only claim 180 hp at the tire. I just wish i could justify the money for either bike.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

wallaka posted:

He's not comparing a showroom-stock bike, either. Aprilia only claim 180 hp at the tire. I just wish i could justify the money for either bike.

Can't really compare a bike that isn't even sold to a stock bike, can you? The RSV4 dynos like 150 something at the wheel stock out of 999ccs.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 22, 2013

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Mooseykins posted:

They're in the process of buying Porsche out from under them. Porsche is in big debt, VW Group is massively wealthy as a company.

Porsche went into debt trying to buy a controlling stake VW. VW bailed them out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phone posted:

Good point, I had forgotten about that. So now it's just BMW, Mercedes, and VW and it's 15 brands from Germany?

Don't forget Opel. Even though they're a subsidiary of GM, they pretty much do their own thing.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
133hp out of a 3cyl :smug:. Not the most but plenty and sound good too. Now I just need to get off work and ride it next week.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KozmoNaut posted:

Don't forget Opel. Even though they're a subsidiary of GM, they pretty much do their own thing.

Not for much longer!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

D C posted:

Porsche went into debt trying to buy a controlling stake VW. VW bailed them out.

VW and Porsche need to stop trying to copy Inception.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I think its funny because VW cars are the red headed step children of the German car makers

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

drgitlin posted:

Not for much longer!

I know Opel and PSA are partnering up, but what else is happening?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I think its funny because VW cars are the red headed step children of the German car makers

:stonk:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I've heard that the best engeneering students go to Porsche. the ones who arent accepted there go to BMW, than to Mercedes and finally the ones who cant get a job anywhere else go to VW.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

bandman posted:

My wife's dad has one with a 2GR swap, and it is poo poo-your-pants fast. The rear end steps out if you look at the throttle wrong (even with Toyo R1Rs), you can't hold a conversation at anything over idle, and the radio wiring is hosed thanks to a dipshit PO, but none of that matters because it goes like stink and makes glorious sounds.

I haven't done much research into it, but is the swap fairly straight forward with decent documentation? This might derail my plans for a turbo Civic 4WD wagon. :getin:

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Phone posted:

I haven't done much research into it, but is the swap fairly straight forward with decent documentation? This might derail my plans for a turbo Civic 4WD wagon. :getin:

Yeah, but plenty of people have done it to the 1st and 2nd gen cars also. Probably cheaper to buy the car and do the swap than just buying the 3rd gen to start with. I believe there are a couple in AI even.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Phone posted:

Nope you're doing that and that's that. I expect a thread by the end of the day

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Holdbrooks posted:

Yeah, but plenty of people have done it to the 1st and 2nd gen cars also. Probably cheaper to buy the car and do the swap than just buying the 3rd gen to start with. I believe there are a couple in AI even.

The 2GR is a bit different than the standard 1MZ, 3VZ, 5VZ swaps. The dual VVT-I setup means a lot of wiring tom foolery with immobilizes, etc if you plan on running with stock electronics.

I mean, it can be done, but it's not quite as cut and dry as the more basic 90s engines that came before it.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I've heard that the best engeneering students go to Porsche. the ones who arent accepted there go to BMW, than to Mercedes and finally the ones who cant get a job anywhere else go to VW.

Nah, Audi has been the most popular employer with engineers in Germany for years, then it's BMW, Porsche, VW and Mercedes (Siemens pops up in there somewhere, but they don't make cars).

e: Also, calling VW the red headed step child seems really weird, at least if you are talking about their image in Germany itself. Golfs and Passats are virtually class-less cars over here. They say nothing about your income or social position, they are simply accepted as Good And Very Reasonable Cars, a sort of automotive non-statement.
If you want to poo poo on a German car maker, look no further than Opel.

Babies Getting Rabies fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 22, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

meatpimp posted:

... anymore. They tried it, hard core, by buying Chrysler. And they failed miserably and disastrously.

That's because they fuckin' bought Chrysler. Why would anyone ever want to do that?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

That's because they fuckin' bought Chrysler. Why would anyone ever want to do that?

Chrysler USED to have redeeming qualities. 727 TF, the Slant 6, 318 V8...... Umm after that I dont really think of any other redeeming things, unless you lump jeep poo poo into it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kastein posted:

Fiat seems to be doing reasonably well.

I want a Charger SRT8 badged as a Lancia, shut up.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

kastein posted:

Pretty sure they bought/merged with Chrysler with a sort of hostile intent to suck away all of Chrysler's money which they had at the time. Someone who is smarter than me knows better.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

KozmoNaut posted:

:stare::fh:

New life goal.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Chrysler USED to have redeeming qualities. 727 TF, the Slant 6, 318 V8...... Umm after that I dont really think of any other redeeming things, unless you lump jeep poo poo into it.
Their 8.25 and 8.75 rears are pretty nice too.

I'm not really sure where they went wrong, or how they managed to make the descendants of the tf727 so goddamn horrible, but I don't like it. The replacements for the 318/360 (the 3.7/4.7 v6/v8) are pretty bad reliability wise too, but nowhere near as bad as a few others I can think of.

KozmoNaut posted:

Fiat seems to be doing reasonably well.

Yeah, I don't really agree with their body styling of the new Cherokee but you can put that down to "grumpy jeep dude" syndrome. They haven't hosed anything up horribly yet and are pushing diesels so I'm cautiously optimistic.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

kastein posted:

They introduced the Viper, LH cars, new minivans, and the Ram truck in the early 90s. As I recall they were the most profitable automaker in the world before the buyout.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
For the LH cars - I used to have an LHS. That was a pretty good car actually, and never had any issues with it. Comfy big seats, decent handling for a large FWD luxury car, and it actually had some decent get up and go.

And yes, the transmission didn't explode.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I call bullshit; everyone knows Porsche hasn't hired any engineers since 1963.

:haw:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MrChips posted:

Correction: they haven't hired any DESIGNERS since 1963.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MrChips posted:

Id say they've EXCLUSIVELY hired engineers since 1963. Ones who have dreams about efficiency and haven't the slightest clue about how to make aesthetic changes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Maker Of Shoes posted:

:stare::fh:

New life goal.

They're already selling the Lancia Thema based onrebadged from the Chrysler 300, it's not a huge leap from there to the Charger.

Italian coachwork and American engines used to be A Thing. Let's bring it back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iso_Grifo

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 23, 2013

big cheese
Apr 29, 2009

Tintern on t'internet
Here's the last car I had, beautiful shitheap it was...

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KakerMix posted:

Pretty sure they bought/merged with Chrysler with a sort of hostile intent to suck away all of Chrysler's money which they had at the time. Someone who is smarter than me knows better.

The merger made no sense for shareholders, but it allowed management to pay themselves obscene bonuses. Mark this one up as a win for the .01%ers. When being rich just isn't good enough, you have to go for super rich. Minivans were a fing money machine. Take a 10K car and put a $1000 more metal box on top of it and get $18k out of it. Oh yeah.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

fingerling posted:

Always wondered, do you suckers in Qld have to have no tint on your front windows? I've seen quite a few cars like that, and even some in SA with no tint on the drivers or passenger's window.

We have that in Sweden, you can't have tinted front side windows or windshield (more than one of those strips at the top), all other windows are okay though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

afen posted:

3B/RR: 147 teeth
ABY/AAN: 151 teeth
ADU: 150 teeth

I've tried shopping around, but everyone sells 151 teeth belts as RS2 belts. I find it pretty amazing that they discontinue such a critical part.

This was a page ago, but did you try these guys?

http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-components-audi-i5-20vt-timing-belt-kit-22t-aanabyadu-p-19588.html