Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

My friend, we are watching Pancrase in http://www.psp-tv.com/r/mma4pay if you care to partake.

Oops, didn't see this! I'm not sure what Pancrase is anyway so oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

That run with Sid and Nash was a magical time. :wcw:
WCW World Heavyweight Champions from the start of Russo's run in October 1999 to the April 10th reboot.

Sting
VACATED
Bret Hart
VACATED
Bret Hart
VACATED (injury)
Chris Benoit
VACATED
Sid Vicious
VACATED
Kevin Nash
Sid Vicious
VACATED

Benoit winning was inexcusably stupid and it still made more sense than most of that booking.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a story from the book but it's not an excerpt, although it's written about as well as one of R.D. Reynold's chapters.

It's an excerpt, though it's been lightly edited.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

VACATED
Bret Hart
VACATED
Bret Hart
VACATED (injury)

This might be one of my favorite title history excerpts ever. It's like a WWF hardcore or DDT championship history but those are supposed to be complete jokes.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

projecthalaxy posted:

This might be one of my favorite title history excerpts ever. It's like a WWF hardcore or DDT championship history but those are supposed to be complete jokes.

That's an insult to the DDT Ironman Heavymetalweight Title

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That ladder was a fighting champion, goddammit.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I mean really, the Heavymetalweight title has been vacated 4 times in 13 years. Comparing it to the WCW belt under Russo is, well, unflattering

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bret Hart
VACATED
Bret Hart
VACATED (injury)

I never understood the point of this as a kid. Bret beats Goldberg to retain the title at Starrcade. The next night on Nitro the title is vacated because of the controversial ending, only for Bret to beat Goldberg again to regain the title. Why not just have a rematch? Were they just trying to boost Hart's championship reigns up?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
What was the exact reason they stripped him again? Was that the time he hit the ref? I might be thinking about when the took the title off Sting a couple months earlier.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

quote is not edit

oatgan fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 14, 2013

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Zack_Gochuck posted:

What was the exact reason they stripped him again? Was that the time he hit the ref? I might be thinking about when the took the title off Sting a couple months earlier.

No that was another Montreal Screwjob recreation. He won the title legitimately when it was revealed he was a member of the nWo the whole time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I mean really, the Heavymetalweight title has been vacated 4 times in 13 years. Comparing it to the WCW belt under Russo is, well, unflattering

Does that title date back to 1908? I don't think so. Nor was it ever given as a gift to Ric Flair for some reason.

Edit: PS Nitro is tonight http://psp-tv.com/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport with some important early nWo Nitros! 8 PM Eastern as always.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dave Meltzer, June 10 1996 posted:

For all real purposes, the clique is now done.

Oh Dave. :allears:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was it Russo's influence that made the last(?) WCW video game take place entirely in the backstage area of an arena and never once in a wrestling ring?
Actually, you can find out the answer as I'm pretty sure the lead developer for those games was actually on Giantbomb's Thursday Night Showdown discussing those games.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

MadScientistWorking posted:

Actually, you can find out the answer as I'm pretty sure the lead developer for those games was actually on Giantbomb's Thursday Night Showdown discussing those games.

I watched this, it was pretty interesting. EA poo poo themselves when Mayhem didn't sell as well as expected and wanted Power Stone with wrestlers. Now that in itself isn't a horrible idea, but EA was breathing down the developer's neck the whole time, and forced them to rush the game out the door. On top of that, the guy basically admits the development team poo poo the bed because of the conditions they had to work under.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

On the Dave Lang edition of Thursday Night Throwdown they do a quick side by side comparison of those two WCW games and the sharp decline in quality from Mayhem to Backstage Assault is insane. The character models got a hundred times worse and to save memory they had to remove a whole bunch of frames from the animations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Astro7x posted:

I never understood the point of this as a kid. Bret beats Goldberg to retain the title at Starrcade. The next night on Nitro the title is vacated because of the controversial ending, only for Bret to beat Goldberg again to regain the title. Why not just have a rematch? Were they just trying to boost Hart's championship reigns up?

When Russo was in the WWF he did the same thing with the I-C title, I remember.

Gordy
Sep 6, 2002

oatgan posted:

On the Dave Lang edition of Thursday Night Throwdown they do a quick side by side comparison of those two WCW games and the sharp decline in quality from Mayhem to Backstage Assault is insane. The character models got a hundred times worse and to save memory they had to remove a whole bunch of frames from the animations.

It was pretty funny that they had him play Backstage Assault before playing Mayhem. He was being pretty forgiving to the game out of nostalgia, but when he started playing Mayhem he was shocked at how much worse the other game was in comparison. It was interesting to see how a developer can lose sight of the game as a whole when having to cut corners and make final decisions.

Gordy fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 17, 2013

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight we've got the RETURN OF THE BOOTY MAN on Nitro! Check in at 8 PM for the BOOTY MAN plus the latest happenings with the New World Odor. With only one episode left until Hog Wild we'll go to alternate programming after, part 2 of the Jerry Lawler vs Andy Kaufman feud!

http://psp-tv.com/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MassRafTer posted:

Tonight we've got the RETURN OF THE BOOTY MAN on Nitro! Check in at 8 PM for the BOOTY MAN plus the latest happenings with the New World Odor. With only one episode left until Hog Wild we'll go to alternate programming after, part 2 of the Jerry Lawler vs Andy Kaufman feud!

http://psp-tv.com/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport

What about TNA?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

What about TNA?

There's always more TNA. Plus a pre show with MatRats and THE URBAN WRESTLING ALLIANCE.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Warning: This is not the Urban Wrestling Federation.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Nitro time!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Retro Observer posted:

I think they are going to keep the identity of the third member of the Nash & Hall team a secret until the 7/7 show. There are things that lead me to believe it may not be Lex Luger after all, which is a mistake. Rumors are flying it'll be Jeff Jarrett since Vince McMahon on the WWF hotline brought up Jarrett's name with Diesel and Ramon as expecting him to join WCW. Jarrett gave notice to Titan and is working out his notice in USWA and he is WCW bound, however his WWF contract doesn't expire until the fall so it probably won't be him. The WCW team will be Sting & Savage and either Flair or Luger.

:staredog:

quote:

The most likely scenario for King of the Ring is that Steve Austin will beat Jake Roberts in the finals (I'd say chances of Vader winning are slim if not at all).

It begins. :getin:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 22, 2013

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

:staredog:

It begins. :getin:

This was my favorite quote:

quote:

It was amazing on WCW Saturday Night when the Steiners, Norton and Ice Train did an interview. Train's arms are so huge they actually make Norton and Rick Steiner look small and even dwarf Scott's bowling ball biceps. Speaking of Scott, if you're wondering how he looks the way he does, it's because he has great genetics. Also, guys who haven't signed contracts (which the Steiners haven't) don't get tested. As for the guys who have signed contracts that are so big and ripped at the same time nowadays in comparison with the WWF guys, I guess WCW simply draws its wrestlers from a more gifted gene pool. And if you ask why when those same guys were in WWF they were smaller, I guess some guys in their late 30s and early 40s can actually make great improvements in their physique through cultivating their enormous genetic potential which they were unable to do in WWF because they weren't as happy. If you buy that, I feel sorry for you.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Holy hell, that is wonderful.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's as though he's some variety of freak...

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Sting
VACATED
Bret Hart
VACATED
Bret Hart
VACATED (injury)
Chris Benoit
VACATED
Sid Vicious
VACATED
Kevin Nash
Sid Vicious
VACATED

Benoit winning was inexcusably stupid and it still made more sense than most of that booking.

I'm not up to speed on my WCW lore. Why was the title vacated so often instead of going from guy to guy like normal? Basically, briefly explain the :russo: factor please.

Also, while I tend to disagree with Meltzer's star ratings, I have to admit he's a hell of a gifted writer, and probably doesn't get enough credit for that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NowonSA posted:

I'm not up to speed on my WCW lore. Why was the title vacated so often instead of going from guy to guy like normal? Basically, briefly explain the :russo: factor please.

Also, while I tend to disagree with Meltzer's star ratings, I have to admit he's a hell of a gifted writer, and probably doesn't get enough credit for that.

He'd strip guys to do tournaments and hot shot angles for ratings. Strip a guy and people will tune in next week to see what happens!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

MassRafTer posted:

He'd strip guys to do tournaments and hot shot angles for ratings. Strip a guy and people will tune in next week to see what happens!

Or the story told recently of when there was a controversial finish, so they stripped Bret of the title. So he just won the title back. Absolute madness.

The bigger question is why Russo thought large number of title runs was a good thing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Wazzu posted:

Or the story told recently of when there was a controversial finish, so they stripped Bret of the title. So he just won the title back. Absolute madness.

The bigger question is why Russo thought large number of title runs was a good thing.

When you were a kid, how impressed were you with Ric Flair, X time World Champion?

Now imagine if you had a roster full of guys that good.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Man I always forget August is Finishers Month. :(

MassRafTer posted:

When you were a kid, how impressed were you with Ric Flair, X time World Champion?

Now imagine if you had a roster full of guys that good.

Dave gave some speech once about when that stopped mattering? What was the consensus? Like after he was champ in the 80s and did DQ finishes? I can't remember. But at some stage being a 2X World Champion was a pretty big deal, like a real big deal.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Wazzu posted:

Russo's explained this in shoots. He thinks title defences are boring and that no one talks about them, whereas people will rave about and go out of their way to see a title change. He seemed a bit confused when one interviewer suggested that if you kept having title changes then they cease to be special, but he never seemed to understand the conscept of diminishing returns.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

LordPants posted:

Man I always forget August is Finishers Month. :(

Dave gave some speech once about when that stopped mattering? What was the consensus? Like after he was champ in the 80s and did DQ finishes? I can't remember. But at some stage being a 2X World Champion was a pretty big deal, like a real big deal.

I started watching WWF in 1994, and I remember they always used to talk about how Bret Hart was a two-time World, Intercontinental, and Tag champ. I think they would throw in that he was a two-time King of the Ring sometimes too. That always felt like a really huge accomplishment.

The title reigns really stopped being a big deal during the Monday Night Wars era, probably as a combination of there being a PPV every month and the push to have big surprises to spike ratings.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Skinty McEdger posted:

Russo's explained this in shoots. He thinks title defences are boring and that no one talks about them, whereas people will rave about and go out of their way to see a title change. He seemed a bit confused when one interviewer suggested that if you kept having title changes then they cease to be special, but he never seemed to understand the conscept of diminishing returns.

My most memorable world title match? Outside of Punk/Cena at Money in the Bank 2011, it's Bret Hart vs. the 1-2-3 Kid from an early 90's RAW. Because I spent the match thinking...

"No way the Kid can do it."
"Maybe the Kid can do it."
"Holy crap, the Kid's GOING to do it!"
"WOW, WHAT A GREAT MATCH!"

And, on yeah, Hart retained.

I think Russo forgot that, in the end, fans (should) want to see two guys have a great (or good) match that tells a good (or great) story.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

I started watching WWF in 1994, and I remember they always used to talk about how Bret Hart was a two-time World, Intercontinental, and Tag champ. I think they would throw in that he was a two-time King of the Ring sometimes too. That always felt like a really huge accomplishment.

The title reigns really stopped being a big deal during the Monday Night Wars era, probably as a combination of there being a PPV every month and the push to have big surprises to spike ratings.

WCW titles stopped being important in the late 90s around the fingerpoke of doom time period. WWF's didn't really stop until the Invasion, when it seemed like there was a title switch every single week (and I distinctly remember a RAW where every title switched except the WWF Championship). Of course they messed up the invasion angle to such an enormous degree that they probably felt like they had to do a lot of changes constantly otherwise people would forget what was going on.

It's a combination of too much good talent in one place and a constant need to create excitement that leads to a lot of switches. Russo didn't understand this in WCW where he had nobody to hold him back, so we had all those vacancies and hot swaps.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

WCW titles stopped being important in the late 90s around the fingerpoke of doom time period. WWF's didn't really stop until the Invasion, when it seemed like there was a title switch every single week (and I distinctly remember a RAW where every title switched except the WWF Championship). Of course they messed up the invasion angle to such an enormous degree that they probably felt like they had to do a lot of changes constantly otherwise people would forget what was going on.

It's a combination of too much good talent in one place and a constant need to create excitement that leads to a lot of switches. Russo didn't understand this in WCW where he had nobody to hold him back, so we had all those vacancies and hot swaps.

Well the title itself was still important, but using the number of reigns as a metric was pretty pointless after 1999 or so in either company. There were like 13 WWF champions in 1999 alone, so by the end of the year every top guy was a 3 or 4 time champion.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Number of title reigns became kind of irrelevant once they increased the number of PPVs and Televised title defences. It's a new era, you can't really compare it to the old days.

It would be like if they had two Superbowls a year instead of just one.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The thing Russo doesn't realize is that usually when people pop for a title change, it's because a bad guy has held the belt for a long time, or that an underdog the crowd likes is challenging for the title, or because it's a great finish that gets people off their feet. A new champion is a neat thing...when you're 12. That's not wrestling's core audience though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The thing Russo doesn't realize is that usually when people pop for a title change, it's because a bad guy has held the belt for a long time, or that an underdog the crowd likes is challenging for the title, or because it's a great finish that gets people off their feet. A new champion is a neat thing...when you're 12. That's not wrestling's core audience though.

People of all ages still pop live for a title change (because it's cool to see a title change hands) but yeah, it doesn't mean as much.

Hell, people still pop for a title change even when it's a heel winning via cheating against a beloved babyface.