Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

C-Euro posted:

I know I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, but I want to be ready in case they do hatch so I'll ask it anyway- I had an interview this morning for Job A that I thought went really well, and I expect to hear back from them within a week (it's for a part-time teaching position and classes start next Monday). However, I've also been told by a staffing agent that she's going to set me up to interview for Job B that would almost certainly offer more hours and a better pay rate, but at this rate I might not even interview there until next week, or the end of this week at the earliest. If Job A calls next week and wants to hire me before I hear back from Job B, what should I say to them? I'm also meeting with said staffing agent today- is it out of line to tell her that I need to interview with Job B ASAP? Should I ask Job B to make a quick decision because Job A might be (or has) made me an offer? It'd be nice if I could work both Job A and Job B part-time but I have no idea if that will be an option (and doubt that it will be).
<edited out because I'm a slow typer and missed an update>

quote:

Tell no one anything. Wait for offers. Pick best one. If you have to quit after a week so be it.
I really don't suggest anything like the bolded part. It offset by the the fact that this is academic and part-time, and it's highly unlikely your contract won't allow you to leave, but you'll still be burning bridges and pissing people off. I'm guessing from your previous posts that this is a paid TA position for a college or university. I spent a few semesters TAing before going to industry and both times someone left before their contract was up it hurt pretty bad.

In real world jobs obviously accepting an offer, especially FT/permanent, is a serious commitment even for a mediocre job and you'll develop a pretty bad reputation quickly hopping around like that. Don't get me wrong I'm not some dick sucking company loyalist, but you really have to weigh such a choice carefully since hiring takes a huge time investment and hiring managers do talk to each other.

quote:

I accidentally let it slip to my staffing buddy that I interviewed with Job A
This on the other hand is not a big deal at all, especially with a staffing company. They know you're interviewing with other places, it's not going to hurt you.

seacat fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

Thanks for the advice. As far as the IT =/= job experience thing, I've been doing freelance IT work for years. Mostly basic stuff, building systems, antivirus, maintenance work, etc, with a bit of networking and such thrown in here and there. My actual official jobs that pay me a weekly paycheck have nothing to do with IT, sadly, and it's a field I'm looking to get into now.

How would I go about adding that to my resume, if I should do so at all? In fact, in a more general sense, how does one even go about tailoring a resume to a career field they have no formal experience in?

Make a separate entry for your freelance work. Talk about how many clients you have helped, what kind of things your responsible for, how much you've grown that business.

Freelancing is great in this industry because it shows that you have initiative (rare among neckbeards) and at least some degree of people skills. It also provides you a convenient place to list your tech skills and your work ethic that isn't the big orange box.

I refrained from giving a critique because I didn't want to be Debbie Downer on you, but you should definitely emphasize your freelance work and significantly de-emphasize the time you spent at BOB.

Edit:

quote:

I really don't suggest anything like the bolded part. It offset by the the fact that this is academic and part-time, and it's highly unlikely your contract won't allow you to leave, but you'll still be burning bridges and pissing people off. I'm guessing from your previous posts that this is a paid TA position for a college or university. I spent a few semesters TAing before going to industry and both times someone left before their contract was up it hurt pretty bad.
Meh, nobody cares. You've napalmed your bridges with wherever you rescind your acceptance from, but it is highly unlikely to ever affect you again, unless you are in an extremely incestuous industry or that particular hiring manager moves to another job you want somewhere down the line.

Yes, it's a dickbag thing to do, yes it is going to make your name mud over there, yes it might screw you over later, but ultimately it's just business. Better offers come along and you take them. They'd throw you on the street in a microsecond if it would make the stock price go up a dime; don't think you 'owe them' out of some sort of bizarre sense of unrequited loyalty.

Bisty Q. fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 20, 2013

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Anything to keep in mind when applying for a job in a different city? I'm worried recruiters are going to skip over my resume once they see I live half way across the country.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Bombtrack posted:

Anything to keep in mind when applying for a job in a different city? I'm worried recruiters are going to skip over my resume once they see I live half way across the country.

Put down a local address or no physical address; be prepared to explain why you can't come in for interviews on short notice ("I'm currently out of the area" isn't exactly a lie, is it...) -- realize you're going to have to pay, at your own expense, to travel to these interviews; relocation assistance is minimal to nonexistent and once they find out you're in a different area they may not be keen to help you by giving you more than 2 weeks of lead time, etc.

If at all possible, move there first then get the job, but if that's not possible, be prepared for the process to suck. It's not fun.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FrozenVent posted:

Agreed on the address, but a phone number and email address is pretty standard, isn't it? I mean they don't want to have to look trough a stack of paperwork to find how to reach you, and some jobs don't do the application thing.

Sorry, I meant he should remove the address and phone number for each job he worked.

neogeo0823 posted:

Thanks for the advice. As far as the IT =/= job experience thing, I've been doing freelance IT work for years. Mostly basic stuff, building systems, antivirus, maintenance work, etc, with a bit of networking and such thrown in here and there. My actual official jobs that pay me a weekly paycheck have nothing to do with IT, sadly, and it's a field I'm looking to get into now.

How would I go about adding that to my resume, if I should do so at all? In fact, in a more general sense, how does one even go about tailoring a resume to a career field they have no formal experience in?

Are you getting paid to do IT stuff on the side?

If I was you, and putting together an IT resume the first job entry would be something like

Freelance Computer Repair or Local IT Consultant and then list some skills you gained doing that work, then list your other jobs on it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

skipdogg posted:

Sorry, I meant he should remove the address and phone number for each job he worked.

Sorry, I was on my phone and hadn't seen the resume. Agree with all of skipdogg's comments, take that poo poo off (They've got google) and put some more IT stuff up front. I'm not seeing an IT professional with 10 years of experience reading that.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
When you're buying your keyword on Google Adwords, are you just buying for "keyword" (broad or phrase?)? Or are you also buying "keywords for sale" etc. as part of your compaign?

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

KernelSlanders posted:

I'm sure others in this thread have opinions on this, but I would not submit a word document. If I received a word document in my email I almost certainly wouldn't open it. PDF is better in every why I can think of.

I've always assumed the other way around would be better.

Okay then, I've got mine in a PDF, what's the best way to submit it to this thread for critique? I don't have a PDF editor to strip out personal info, is that an issue?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Captain Trips posted:

I've always assumed the other way around would be better.

Okay then, I've got mine in a PDF, what's the best way to submit it to this thread for critique? I don't have a PDF editor to strip out personal info, is that an issue?

How do you edit it before sending it to employers? Do you just always send the same one?

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

How do you edit it before sending it to employers? Do you just always send the same one?

I just made this one, haven't sent it to anyone yet. Built it on one of those sites because I couldn't find a good word template.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012
Most employers would be fine with a word doc. I know that they can carry viruses, but most employers either a) do not know this or b) know this and have virus protection installed.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Bombtrack posted:

I successfully did this (from Detroit to Orlando). I really can't give any tips for not getting your résumé passed over but during the interviews you can emphasize that you are moving anyway so that you live in a different city shouldn't factor for them.

My company tried to schedule an interview for the next day but I just flat out said that was too soon and they were more than happy to push it a week.

Expenses suck. The plane ticket for that short notice interview was over $800.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
How's this look, guys?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Captain Trips posted:

How's this look, guys?

I don't recall the last time I read a quality resume that didn't credit DeviantART.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Are you sure you want your GPA on there?

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.
What goes in a cover letter and what should the format be?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Thank you for the OP, already improved my resume. Two questions:

Should I name different positions in a company like separate jobs?* I haven't had that much full time work experience and since the jobs were very different and I was promoted 3 times 2 years, I figured that would look better.

*Company
+Current Position
[experience]
+Former Position
[experience] ect, ect.

I had/have 'references available on request' because I have the private cell numbers of my former bosses/co-workers. Our company is being sold so a business number wouldn't work and I'm hesitate to be throwing their private numbers out and about. Should I just lose the reference section entirely or put their names and positions without a number?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Just The Facts posted:

Thank you for the OP, already improved my resume. Two questions:

Should I name different positions in a company like separate jobs?* I haven't had that much full time work experience and since the jobs were very different and I was promoted 3 times 2 years, I figured that would look better.

*Company
+Current Position
[experience]
+Former Position
[experience] ect, ect.

That's what I do; this assumes the positions were different enough.

Just The Facts posted:

I had/have 'references available on request' because I have the private cell numbers of my former bosses/co-workers. Our company is being sold so a business number wouldn't work and I'm hesitate to be throwing their private numbers out and about. Should I just lose the reference section entirely or put their names and positions without a number?

Take out the reference section entirely. When they want references, they'll ask for them.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

What is the preferred way to deal with a company being sold/bought out? I've got it listed like "Current Company Name (formerly Old Company Name)". Is that right or should I have it on my résumé as multiple entries?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Was your job substantially affected by the change?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Nope. Same job with the same people in the same building. Just a change in ownership and name, basically.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I think the way you're doing it is good then. Part of me wonders if you even need to mention the old company name (except maybe in your cover letter) unless you think there's some name recognition to be gained from it, but I don't really know.

edit: On second thought, ignore that bit.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 23, 2013

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Quick short question guys. My fiancee is looking at a virtual job fair the sunday before she has surgery. How should she go about it? The opportunity would be fantastic if she got something but she'll be doped up for a bit after.

We also are curious how she would handle relocating. She lives in ND but wants to move in with me in Louisiana. She's not sure when that'd be

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 23, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I had an interview for a position two days ago for a position that a local recruiting agency hooked me up with. I thought it went well and the manager I spoke to told me to take a day or two to think about discussing the position further while he did the same. I called him yesterday afternoon to say that I want the position but I was told he wasn't in, so I left a voicemail. I e-mailed him last night too, but so far today I've had no word from him. I spoke with my recruiting agent yesterday as well, and she had e-mailed them for a follow-up after my interview but heard nothing.

I still haven't heard from him even today, as we approach the limits of "a day or two". Should I be worried or am I psyching myself out? Would calling him again make me appear impatient and desperate, or would I come across as more of a go-getter type?

E: I e-mailed my recruiter to ask her the same thing and now she's not responding either :ohdear:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 23, 2013

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I submitted a resume to a pretty cool job recommended to me by a buddy of mine that works for the same place. I had an interview granted within about half an hour of submitting my resume, which I took to be a good sign.. It was an odd, informal interview, in that he didn't really ask any questions, just told me about the company and some of the tech I'll be working with, with occasional meaningful pauses that I took to mean I could ask a question. I think what he was doing was trying to see what kinds of questions I'd ask, to maybe gauge how interested in the sort of stuff they do I really was. Well, the things he was talking about were amazing and I was VERY interested (and kind of familiar already with lots of the tech their using), so I think the interview went really well. My buddy there knows that interviewer pretty well said he seemed to be pretty impressed with me. Basically, I think I quite likely nailed this job. Except...

The problem is I'm not sure what the status of my current job is. Last Monday there was an accident and I ended up getting drug tested. This would, of course, not normally be a concern, but there was a party I was at a day or two before, I got pretty drunk, and hit a joint once. This is not a regular thing for me at all, but of course dirty pee is dirty pee and I clearly borked up because of my own drunken stupidity. Work currently has me on administrative leave pending the test results. It's now nearly a week since then, and I've heard nothing. I'm assuming the worst, because holy crap, isn't nearly a week long enough to sort this type of thing out?

I'm not sure how to handle this with respect to this new job. Should I hang on and see if I get canned? Should I try to quit on Sunday before they can me? What do I tell this potential job? Do I tell them immediately or wait for it to come up?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I wanna use a free faxing service like fax zero to send resumes/cover letters. Think that looks tacky if they place ads on it?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Are you seriously asking if it's ok to send resumes and cover letters with ads on them?

And why are you faxing things? It's 2013, nobody even reads faxes anymore. We use a fax-to-email system (And I think a lot of people do in these days and age) so it all goes to email anyway... And the person who gets them has been on holidays for the past two weeks; I just realized as I was typing that we haven't been able to receive faxes for two weeks. Woops.

Unless they're specifically asking for faxes, don't fax poo poo in.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

I wanna use a free faxing service like fax zero to send resumes/cover letters. Think that looks tacky if they place ads on it?

Yes, thats tacky. It looks like you're too broke to spend $0.15 or whatever to fax something from Kinko's. I'm not trying being a dick, I've been that broke, but that's just what most hiring managers will think.

Where/What industry are you applying that prefers faxes to e-mails for the initial app? I've actually applied to places that require me to fax materials in (academic hospital positions are notorious for this), but the resume/cover letter form was via online app.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
They list a fax number and no email address. I am guessing to make people put effort on them. Jokes on them though they're on the low end of the pay scale. I'm not too broke but I am too lazy for this particular job.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I know I just asked this, but when you interview somewhere and they say "we'll get back to you" is it ever OK to call them back before they call you? I had a pair of interviews last week and both claimed they would let me know early this week, but for personal reasons I'm kind of freaking out right now and really need to know if I got either of them.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

C-Euro posted:

I know I just asked this, but when you interview somewhere and they say "we'll get back to you" is it ever OK to call them back before they call you? I had a pair of interviews last week and both claimed they would let me know early this week, but for personal reasons I'm kind of freaking out right now and really need to know if I got either of them.
It's fine to call or email once after they've had reasonable time to consider you. Any more and you'll cross the line into being annoying.

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009
On that note, I'm in a very small industry. There are few jobs and according to LinkedIn applicant counts, there are tons of applicants for the few jobs. I've landed one interview that went well, but I wasn't selected. And that's it. Can I start calling these companies to express interest and try to land an interview? Should I call HR or the likely hiring manager. I already work in the industry so I know how to get in touch with the right person but is it appropriate? Is there a way around the applicant website bot?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

DwemerCog posted:

Most employers would be fine with a word doc. I know that they can carry viruses, but most employers either a) do not know this or b) know this and have virus protection installed.

I did say I suspected there would be a difference of opinion on this, and what's considered customary probably varies by industry. There's a few reasons besides viruses I prefer PDF over Word documents. For the interviewer I think its just easier to handle PDFs. They open faster, I can read them on any computer or even my phone. When they open I don't have to click through any compatibility warnings and when I view them there's nothing extraneous (table borders, tab stops, header and footer outlines) to be distracting or interfere with my experience of viewing the resume. The fact that word documents open in edit mode by default is also problematic. If the interviewer (or screener or whatever) hits a key he/she has now typed in the document. If he/she scrolls incorrectly a margin can get moved, etc. When the interviewer saves the file those changes get saved as well. As an applicant I know that my resume looks the same no matter how many people have handled ant forwarded along the file and no matter what version of Word the interviewer has or whether they use Macs or PCs the document they see will be the same as the one I saw when it was created.

Trevor Gottitall
May 9, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm a software developer that's done a little over 30 titles for a pretty solid client that are all under NDA (among others that aren't). A brief Google search says that it's fine to list these on my resume under vague terms and paint a picture of the products I've released. I could certainly give clear and descriptive bulletpoints on all of these projects, but does doing this potentially 30+ times on a resume run the risk of being obnoxious? There's certainly more than enough variety in each entry that I wouldn't be writing the same thing twice, but I'm a bit concerned about listing "-Side Scrolling Platformer published by Major Company; -Turn-based Puzzle Game published by Major Company" for however long that list would end up being.

On that note, as a software developer do I even want a full list of shipped titles on my resume regardless of NDA status? A search for others' resumes yields varying results, but there are people with way more experience than I that don't even list 10 projects, opting instead to show off their diverse work history (which isn't an option for me since I've haven't budged for the 3 years I've started working). The OP also favors a concise 1-2 page resume, but are shipped titles worth breaking this rule? For context, I'm a programmer.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Zidanqiu posted:

I'm a software developer that's done a little over 30 titles for a pretty solid client that are all under NDA (among others that aren't). A brief Google search says that it's fine to list these on my resume under vague terms and paint a picture of the products I've released. I could certainly give clear and descriptive bulletpoints on all of these projects, but does doing this potentially 30+ times on a resume run the risk of being obnoxious? There's certainly more than enough variety in each entry that I wouldn't be writing the same thing twice, but I'm a bit concerned about listing "-Side Scrolling Platformer published by Major Company; -Turn-based Puzzle Game published by Major Company" for however long that list would end up being.

On that note, as a software developer do I even want a full list of shipped titles on my resume regardless of NDA status? A search for others' resumes yields varying results, but there are people with way more experience than I that don't even list 10 projects, opting instead to show off their diverse work history (which isn't an option for me since I've haven't budged for the 3 years I've started working). The OP also favors a concise 1-2 page resume, but are shipped titles worth breaking this rule? For context, I'm a programmer.

It is obnoxious, especially given that you're not actually saying anything about any of them. You don't have to specifically list every single project/title you've worked on, you should instead be trying to say what you did, in general terms, and how you earned your employer loads of money. For all it's worth, one of your bullet points could be, "Shipped 30 titles that were published by a major company".

With regard to your last question, everyone favors a 1 page resume, and 2 is really pushing it, but acceptable for people with a lot of experience. We've gotten 3 page (front and back) resumes and we always joke that the resume's length has an inverse relationship with their likelihood of getting hired. Our HR department may sometimes forward these long behemoth resumes, but they color our opinion of you long before we meet you in person.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ok, next draft is up and ready to go. Could I please get some critique on the new version? Don't worry about being a downer about the thing. I'd rather have a bunch of negative, but constructive criticism instead of nothing at all.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

Ok, next draft is up and ready to go. Could I please get some critique on the new version? Don't worry about being a downer about the thing. I'd rather have a bunch of negative, but constructive criticism instead of nothing at all.

Here is a VERY basic critique. Hope this helps!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I'm working through an online job application. In one of the sections, it runs through all the "required" and "desirable" qualifications/experience asking for a yes/no answer (drop-down list) and has little boxes for each saying "If yes, provide examples of how you gained this experience".

Obviously, for the required qualifications I can/will give unequivocal yesses along with good examples, but for some of the desirable qualifications that I don't quite have, I'm not sure how to answer them.

For example:

"Do you have experience with x y and z?" I've done z but nothing resembling x and y. I think I should say "yes" and explain that I've done z, but how do I avoid giving the impression that I haven't properly understood the question? Preface with "While I have not yet had the opportunity to do x and y..." or will that make them not look at the rest of it?

"Have you lead and coordinated [program]?" I have not, but I have contributed to the planning and implementation. Do I say yes? How do I frame it?

e: I just checked and it won't let me fill in the little box if I answer "no".

toe knee hand fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 27, 2013

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
I'm trying to figure up on follow up etiquette after a phone interview.

I had one last Wednesday afternoon and waited until Friday to send a polite follow up email. I'm told that's a huge faux pas and I should have sent it RIGHT after we got off the phone.

So
1) how long should I wait after the initial call to send an email? and

2) how often after that should I send followup emails? I'm not even sure what to say in these except "yep, I'm still interested and still think you should bring me in for an in-person interview"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006

Lackadaisical posted:

I'm trying to figure up on follow up etiquette after a phone interview.

I had one last Wednesday afternoon and waited until Friday to send a polite follow up email. I'm told that's a huge faux pas and I should have sent it RIGHT after we got off the phone.

So
1) how long should I wait after the initial call to send an email? and

2) how often after that should I send followup emails? I'm not even sure what to say in these except "yep, I'm still interested and still think you should bring me in for an in-person interview"

If you're going to just send a thank you e-mail, do so a couple of hours later. If you want to follow up with some clarifications or additional information you feel might help, do so ASAP. I've had candidates who felt they didn't completely answer a phone screen question write back that evening with a more complete answer. While you don't always get bonus points, it does make you stick in their mind.

If you're at the phone screen phase, honestly, they'll let you know. Usually no amount of badgering on your part, no matter how polite, will change their mind on whether you should move on to the real interviews. If they think you should, they've already got a follow up scheduled with you in their calendar, or have passed you on to the people whose job it is to schedule the interview. That being said, unless they are a dedicated recruiter, it may take them a while to follow up (less than a month, more than a week), especially at a larger company where people get stacks of resumes to phone screen though in addition to their real jobs.