Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, Singapore really is the single best airline in the world and it's obvious why once you fly. I mean when you get to the Etihad-Singapore level the distinction is pretty small, but compared to a US carrier? Yeah.

You nailed the major thing. When you're spending 14-20 hours on a plane, service and things start to matter a lot. I used to take the direct flight from Bangkok to LA on THAI's long haul A340-500s and that was like 19 hours one way. If I'd had to take that on United I would've killed myself shortly after killing most of the horrendous cabin crew, but with a THAI cabin crew and policies it was completely tolerable. I've also done Singapore "direct" (which doesn't mean non-stop) from Singapore to Houston, which just happens to stop in Moscow. Obviously an energy industry route. Like 26 hours in a single plane with one brief deboarding in Moscow. Still, such great service and staff and food and IFE that who cares?

ELBOWS AND KNEES HON! WATCH OUT! CART COMIN' THROUGH!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Brennanite posted:

I cannot endorse Singapore Airlines enough. The service was amazing and even coach felt luxurious (well, compared to Delta anyway). The in-flight entertainment selection was great: lots to choose from and a good mix of new and old. This really does matter when you are stuck on a plane for fourteen hours. I too experienced the horror of no in-flight entertainment due to a broken headphone jack (thanks Delta!) and the boredom is indescribable. I have no idea how people stay sane in solitary confinement.

I survive those long flights by not sleeping the night before, showing up half dead and then falling asleep on the plane. Then waking up, getting hammered on free booze and passing out until the drat thing lands. Oh, and obviously, never flying any american airline ever.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I flew Delta once because it was a KLM codeshare. I don't know what happened to the stewardesses but I ended up pretending only to speak Dutch so I got actual decent service. gently caress me, even the TSA interview (yay SSSS) was more friendly.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

I survive those long flights by not sleeping the night before, showing up half dead and then falling asleep on the plane. Then waking up, getting hammered on free booze and passing out until the drat thing lands. Oh, and obviously, never flying any american airline ever.

This is exactly my strategy

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Backing up the Singapore love. I've flown with them a number of times and got only good things to say. I've also flown Garuda once and it wasn't terrible at all, but I definitely didn't feel as safe and secure as I have on other flights, just because of their reputation. It was something like Jakarta to Padang so thankfully not too long. I've had two three other domestic flights in Indo and, ja, they're fine but does feel like a gamble every time...

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
In terms of American carriers, I love United. Delta turned to crap a few years ago when they switched out the 777 for a 747. Shared entertainment screen with Glee on loop. This was also the flight where I broke my headphones. If you get a Continental crew on a United flight, you're golden. Delta crew is universally surly. American flights don't exist in Shanghai as far as I'm concerned.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

My nephew got married to a woman from Shenyang last month(he teaches english there and she is a civil servant of some sort).

He said did everything legally required and above board for the marriage as he would like to return to Northern Ireland (UK) at some point in the future with his wife plus and kids they may have (he really likes the life & job there as they are much better than he could get in N.I.).

What hurdles would he likey to run into if he decides to go back to the UK?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Also, choose flights where you'll be arriving in the morning so that you can more or less take care of jet lag by pursuing this strategy.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME

I've never seen free booze on an Air China flight (domestic) though I've never flown longer than 1.5 hrs with them. I usually just buy a few tinnies in the terminal and take them on with me. I will inquire tonight and if they don't provide I'll whip out a print out of that list and gesticulate wildly. That'll learn em.

If anyone is looking for cheapish business class route from Europe to China, I would advise Austrian Air. The hardware is a bit dated but the service is outstanding.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Just Another Lurker posted:

What hurdles would he likey to run into if he decides to go back to the UK?

For the long term or the short term?

I have never done this myself, but if it is for the long term (aiming at something like Indefinite Leave to Remain for his wife) then I know that things like joint financial records are important - providing evidence of having lived together for a substantial amount of time before and after the marriage. That's above all the general paperwork you'd expect. The process can be quite expensive but not prohibitivley so.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-in-china

https://www.gov.uk/browse/citizenship/citizenship

Yonder is what you want.

[edit]

List of funny things British Embassies and Consulates have been asked to do by numpties:

FCO.go.uk posted:

Enquiries received by FCO staff include:

A man who required hospital treatment in Cambodia when a monkey dislodged a stone that hit him demanded help getting compensation and wanted assurance that it would not happen again

A man asked FCO staff in Rome to translate a phrase for a tattoo that he wanted

Consular staff in Beijing were asked to help a woman who had bought a pair of football boots that were ‘Made in China’ but were poor quality

A woman requested that consular staff in Tel Aviv order her husband to get fit and eat healthily so that they could have children

Consular staff in Kuala Lumpur were asked if the FCO could help pay to send their children to an International School

A man asked consular staff in Stockholm to check the credentials of a woman whom he had met online

A man asked the Consulate in Montreal for information to settle a £1,000 wager on the colour of the British passport

A number of British Consulates have been asked to book hotels or to advise on where to watch the football

On another site I read a crash a burn story from a fool who came to China, didn't like his employer and called the US Embassy in Beijing to complain that his shower didn't work. If he'd called the British Embassy they'd have probably told him "naw mate, you want the Polish Embassy dahn the road, they do that sort of fing."

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 22, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

GuestBob posted:

On another site I read a crash a burn story from a fool who came to China, didn't like his employer and called the US Embassy in Beijing to complain that his shower didn't work. If he'd called the British Embassy they'd have probably told him "naw mate, you want the Polish Embassy dahn the road, they do that sort of fing."

A friend of mine informed me yesterday that the Polish consulate in Hong Kong handles official business from the email address poland_hk@yahoo.com.hk

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME

GuestBob posted:

advise on where to watch the football

In my defence, it was a really important match. I would have looked online for places but the FCO hadn't got back to me about setting up my internet.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Even budget carriers in Asia are more pleasant to fly with than any airline in the States. It's strange because American service is saccharine sweet in so many industries. I've had foreign friends complain that shop staff and waitresses are too nice. Meanwhile airport and airline staff default to raging rear end in a top hat mode even if you're being friendly and not requesting something that would inconvenience them, such as fulfilling one of their most basic job tasks.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

GuestBob posted:

For the long term or the short term?

I have never done this myself, but if it is for the long term (aiming at something like Indefinite Leave to Remain for his wife) then I know that things like joint financial records are important - providing evidence of having lived together for a substantial amount of time before and after the marriage. That's above all the general paperwork you'd expect. The process can be quite expensive but not prohibitivley so.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-in-china

https://www.gov.uk/browse/citizenship/citizenship

Yonder is what you want.

Didn't expect such a prompt reply, the information is much appreciated.

Probably talking years from now, he mentioned coming over if they have children for their education (though i think that might not feasable for a long duration).

Plus he wants to keep the familial obligations to his spouses parents, not something i know much about.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

Plus he wants to keep the familial obligations to his spouses parents, not something i know much about.

In a nutshell they will move in to his house and destroy his life.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Big Alf posted:

In a nutshell, this.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Big Alf posted:

Her parents are separated so :can: everywhere i guess. :cripes:

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

HONK HONK ALL ABOARD THE BROKEN FAMILY CLOWN CAR!

Seriously, this sounds like a bad idea. Your father in law will be demanding you buy him malboro cigarettes, the mother in law will be going off with her new boyfriend for weeks on end leaving your wifey distressed and unable to have sex. Then you walk in on your brother in law in your own bedroom with some costumed freak, and he continues to look at you as he licks his palm and rubs the tiny nub emerging from the crotch of the costumed monstrosity.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Your nephew will house the weaker, more embittered of the two.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

[double post - a DNS server seems to be really hosed somewhere]

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

The mum will probably move in to ruin him mentally. The father will demand his own place and ruin him financially.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The Worst Muslim posted:

Seriously, this sounds like a bad idea. Your father in law will be demanding you buy him malboro cigarettes, the mother in law will be going off with her new boyfriend for weeks on end leaving your wifey distressed and unable to have sex. Then you walk in on your brother in law in your own bedroom with some costumed freak, and he continues to look at you as he licks his palm and rubs the tiny nub emerging from the crotch of the costumed monstrosity.

Extremely happy to say it's my nephew and not me (i long ago embraced my role as strange uncle who lives in solitude). :munch:

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Extremely happy to say it's my nephew and not me (i long ago embraced my role as strange uncle who lives in solitude). :munch:

The strangest uncles have Asian brides you know.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Worst Muslim posted:

Setting them up and knocking them down today, buddy.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

goldboilermark posted:

Setting them up and knocking them down today, buddy.

Every time TWM rises from a probation he comes back increasingly neurotic and obscene.

Dig Yourself Lazarus!

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTkxNzA4MDg=.html

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 22, 2013

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

GuestBob posted:

The strangest uncles have Asian brides you know.

One stereotype at a time is enough, i refuse to inflict my personality on such innocent plus for me and an asian bride would involve travelling, money and a mother in law. :stonk:

Enough of my derail.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Back in Beijing, sans visa. Got stamped in for one day for my layover here. Air China flight from New York was good but I slept through the second meal.

Really need to get a smartphone soon. Life without Weixin goonchat is hardly worth living. Now it's just me and PPL in the old QQ group.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

After all that airline chat, I don't think I saw anyone mention the line I'll be flying: Hainan Airlines. Tickets bought and paid for, so I'm not going to be able to change that, but what can I expect for service? The longest stretch of flight is from Seattle to Beijing, and that's on an Airbus A330. Is my doughy, goony rear end going to be sardine canned into 10 inch wide seats?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hainan is alright, no complaints from me, but my lack of discussion on the topic mirrors my level of how much I care. I had no problems but I'm low maintence.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Hainan was one of the (3?) 5 star rated skytrax airlines, although people say they bought their rating.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Aero737 posted:

Hainan was one of the (3?) 5 star rated skytrax airlines, although people say they bought their rating.

Doing my first leg through American Airlines. Those bastards are making me claim my bag at Seattle, then go back through security and get another boarding pass. Hainan could serve me a fart to the face for my inflight meal and I'd be less pissed than having to go through that GAS charrade.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Oh, you can take me off the list. I'm back in the US for at least a year while I get my MA.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Eat This Glob posted:

After all that airline chat, I don't think I saw anyone mention the line I'll be flying: Hainan Airlines. Tickets bought and paid for, so I'm not going to be able to change that, but what can I expect for service? The longest stretch of flight is from Seattle to Beijing, and that's on an Airbus A330. Is my doughy, goony rear end going to be sardine canned into 10 inch wide seats?
I drank a shitload of beer with an American who flies for them a few months back in Phnom Penh. Leaving aside service, he had a very interesting take on things. He'd flown for Southwest and America West for like 20 years. I asked if it was sketchy and he said, "It's really the other way around. Here they're not micromanaging gate arrival times and poo poo and they're afraid of ending up in the news for a crash, so they're always like 'hey if you need to go around, go around, no problem' and it's a total 180 from the US pilot culture."

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Big Alf posted:

Oh you misunderstood, I wasn't being all supergoon or anything. I meant I think you should post this on the LAN thread as from what you have described about your employee so far, you might get some advice on there that probably isn't suitable for this thread. But advice you could probably do with hearing in your situation.

See Guestbob comment for a small taster.

Ah, ok. Yeah, I'm paranoid about breaking thread rules due to my newbie status. I've been lurking the LAN thread, but didn't want to start posting there until I was actually in China, lest I fake the funk.

Regarding the school's "direction": I've done enough research (firsthand accounts from teachers, etc) to know that they are at least a semi-reputable organization, carry a lot of "guanxi", and have been in business for awhile. Also, if one were traveling to Zhuhai from HKIA, why not take the fastest, most convenient route?

goldboilermark posted:

You're going to be cutting it super close based on everything going smoothly. I did the Chinese embassy in Chicago in 2009 and missed the cut off for same day Z processing by about 15 minutes and I had to wait the weekend. Ugh. Get there early and get same day and you should, repeat SHOULD, have it by the 28 no problem. drat you cut that close though.

I just received my letter of invitation and work permit in the mail today (flight to HK is Thursday), so I think if I'm in line at the consulate when they open Monday morning, I'll be fine.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

goldboilermark posted:

If you want to acclimate to Chinese culture right away, ignore tr ferry, go hang out with caberham for two days, then make up some transparent bullshit excuse and show up happy a few days later. Really. Do this.

Bloodnose posted:

I also endorse that suggestion. Unironically. And being in Hong Kong, I will buy you a moon cake to celebrate.

Whoops, I missed these comments. I'm totally up for this if you HK Goons would be so gracious. The school should probably tolerate it since I have to buy my own Visa, and stuff.

Rental Sting fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 24, 2013

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This is me being super helpful.

As fate would have it...

Rental Sting, today (Friday) in the US one of our new employees in the States went to the Chinese embassy in Chicago and it was a disaster.

She got there an hour before lunch, waited around, they came back from lunch, finally got to see someone around 2, and they told her she had to have a photo like the passport kind, as well as photocopies of all of the papers, plus she had to fill out two more papers, including one asking for her address in China. Furthermore, they informed her they no longer did same day processing.

So she waited around all day to be told to fill out more paperwork and go get a photo taken. She did this, and by the time she got back, it was after 2:30pm, when the embassy closed.

So she'll be there Monday morning as well. Perhaps you'll bump into her, wouldn't that be cute?

I would suggest being there as early as possible, with your photo, and all four or five pieces of paper. I would make a ridiculous amount of copies of these papers, because who knows what they will ask you to do. If you can't get same day processing, you are looking at getting your visa by Tuesday at the earliest, barring any kind of Super Chinese Handling Of The Situation.

I'm not trying to freak you out, I would just recommend you do all the stuff I said and hope it goes smoothly. Are you getting a Z visa? I imagine you are, and if that is the case, then all of this applies.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

I was going to laugh at you for not knowing which forms she needed but the website of the Chicago Consulate is pish. The one in Houston has a much better section on visas, including both of the forms required and full instructions:

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/fd/

FYI, someone applying to a university in Henan had their Z denied because the college screwed up section 7 on the "V...B" form - which is understandable because the loving visa form is wrong. There is such a thing as an "Alien Employment License Reference Number" which institutions licensed to hire foreigners are issued with by SAFEA (you can find lists of these institutions via the SAFEA website of your province). But what the form actualy wants is your work permit number, which for teachers begins WP...blahblahblah. It's a pretty retarded place to have an ambiguous translation which points to two different things!

Sting, if you are in any doubt about completing the form then leave any troubling section blank and ask the staff at the consulate.

[edit]

Speaking of provincial SAFEA websites, the notice about "Strengthening the Administration of Foreign Experts" which announced the implementation of criminal record checks for new foreign education staff in Henan seems to have dissapeared from the website. Hmm. Clusterfuuuuuuck! Yeah.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 24, 2013

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Aw man. gently caress all that! I don't even have a Chinese address!

I was naive to think this process wouldn't be a frustrating, lovely ordeal, especially after visiting the their mess of a website (which does admittedly have some darkly humorous articles on hot button issues with titles like, "Tibet celebrates 60th anniversary of peaceful liberation" and "In order to 'remove the demon', I almost killed my father with a screw driver"). I'll just try and get there bright and early with 10 copies of every conceivable document I might need and hope for the best.

Thanks for the heads up goldboilermark and Guest Bob.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Rental Sting posted:

Aw man. gently caress all that! I don't even have a Chinese address!

You do:

C/O Foreign Affairs Office
[your employer's address]

[edit]

Does anyone care enough about the upcoming changes to the CET battery to want to hear about them?

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 24, 2013

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

ReindeerF posted:

I drank a shitload of beer with an American who flies for them a few months back in Phnom Penh. Leaving aside service, he had a very interesting take on things. He'd flown for Southwest and America West for like 20 years. I asked if it was sketchy and he said, "It's really the other way around. Here they're not micromanaging gate arrival times and poo poo and they're afraid of ending up in the news for a crash, so they're always like 'hey if you need to go around, go around, no problem' and it's a total 180 from the US pilot culture."

Hahaha glad I read that after I landed. Wait...I still have to fly back in like a week. poo poo. They were pretty alright, and very permissive. People were getting up to piss as we were circling to land. However, a steward asked me to turn my phone off even though it was on airplane mode and I was listening to music. Happy to do it, but c'mon man. In flight entertainment was surprising decent with personal screens and a (small) assortment of western movies and t.v. shows. In-flight meal was pretty legit.

After landing our group went to some restaurant in Beijing that was founded in 1412. They served Peking duck...skin :getin: as a course, followed by the duck and way more food than even my other doughy American compatriots could eat. Our modest-sized Chinese hosts then ordered a bowl of noodles for a "meal". That blew my mind. I'm off to breakfast and my first full day in-country. As I sit here in my hotel in Chengde, smoking on a cigarette and reflecting on my first day, I feel like like I'm some 50's New York Times reporter, but since I spent most of this post talking about food, I know I'm a fat loving goon. Either way, where's my fedora?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

...followed by the duck...

You got the fried bones at the end too though, right?