Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WeaponBoy posted:

Can someone clarify outfits vs. jobs? Is it like the outfits in the XIII-2 (ie; wear N7 armour forever because everything else is too anime)? I just want to turn off that awful default outfit ASAP without locking myself out of a job.

The outfits connect to jobs, apparently, so it's basically the Dress System 2.0. Apparently the costumes are just part of customizing the "schema" though, not the entire thing. Each costume has at least one ability associated with it but there are apparently like a hundred costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Enemy HP = 100%: Steal is pretty much the best bet, still a minor pain.

Yeah its what I've been rocking and works ok except when the person equipped with it becomes obsessed with some mob you haven't gotten around to wacking yet and ISN'T PULLING THEIR WEIGHT GODDAMIT BALTHIER GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME.

quote:

The IZJS characters are, in fact, more powerful then vanilla game characters, there are several more stat boosting licences on the IZJS boards then Vanilla. Also, each weapon type got a few new stronger weapons. Finally, the removal of the 9999 damage cap has some pretty major effects.

Yeah, it also doesn't hurt bosses and enemies don't seem to have been amped up (IIIDS) to counter this excluding some mark changes. I wish there were more weapons added but thems the breaks thanks Excalipoor for taking up a useful slot. We already have the Wyrmslayer blade for gimmick throwback bad weapon.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

chumbler posted:

I'm also impressed that they really are using a ton of new enemy models. Perhaps LR might be a FF game that is not the worst game in the series?

No, this will never happen.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Barudak posted:

Yeah its what I've been rocking and works ok except when the person equipped with it becomes obsessed with some mob you haven't gotten around to wacking yet and ISN'T PULLING THEIR WEIGHT GODDAMIT BALTHIER GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME.

That's why you have your thief be the party leader and make the other gambits based off the party leader's target. :eng101:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

That's why you have your thief be the party leader and make the other gambits based off the party leader's target. :eng101:

That makes too much sense so I'll just ignore it in favor of continuing to use Ashe as party leader.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

WeaponBoy posted:

Can someone clarify outfits vs. jobs? Is it like the outfits in the XIII-2 (ie; wear N7 armour forever because everything else is too anime)? I just want to turn off that awful default outfit ASAP without locking myself out of a job.

Outfits all have base stats and abilities that are locked into the outfit, but "Schema", or the ability sets, can be moved around to other outfits so you don't have to stick with an outfit you don't want.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

pretend to care posted:

So I went all :black101: on Bart 2 after I just bumped Hope's boomerang up to max level (for ch 11) with some crap upgrade materials and started the battle with a Fortisol and Aegisol, which let me bludgeon drat near half his HP down before he converted and cleared all the buffs. It was a piece of cake after that. Used Renew a few times so that I didn't have to waste time switching from Relentless Assault to Combat Clinic.

Remember to use debuffs against the final boss. He can be emperiled and his health drops like a rock when that happens. I did this every fight and I have never seen him use Doom. TBH, Bart 2 is probably the hardest story boss in the game. It's pretty smooth sailing from that point.

Also, you might wanna pick up the Grow Egg, but that's an optional thing to make grinding easier.

quote:

IZJS Chat

Ashe should be a samurai because she can make the most use out of the masamune.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I always give Balthier guns because he looks cool with them and I don't care that he's like a few fractions of a second slower than everyone else with them.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
I really hate Vaan.

Like with a burning fury.

drat this character.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
A friend told me the new final fantasy game coming out soon is going to hve multiplayer. Is this true? I can't really see that working with the traditional final fantasy formula, unless maybe its coop

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

WYA posted:

A friend told me the new final fantasy game coming out soon is going to hve multiplayer. Is this true? I can't really see that working with the traditional final fantasy formula, unless maybe its coop

Final Fantasy 14: Realm Reborn is a multiplayer only MMO. Unless he meant something else.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
What's the max amount of times its worth focusing with Vivi? I usually focus twice at the start of a boss fight and it seems to add a ton of damage to his spells. Dont know the actual numbers to the mechanic though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SSNeoman posted:

Ashe should be a samurai Knight because she can make the most use out of the masamune Save the Queen.

Fixed that for you. :colbert:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What's the max amount of times its worth focusing with Vivi? I usually focus twice at the start of a boss fight and it seems to add a ton of damage to his spells. Dont know the actual numbers to the mechanic though.

Focus multiples Vivi's Magic stat by 1.2, to a maximum of 99. It gets more potent as his Magic gets higher and you'll need to use it less, plus the effects increase exponentially till you reach the 90s.

Personally I don't use Focus often, but if I do (like the Gizamaluke/Tantarian fights) it's no more than two or three times.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

General Morden posted:

I really hate Vaan.

Like with a burning fury.

drat this character.

Dump his worthless rear end from the party and imagine that whenever you see him in town the party is chilling pack at the inn while he runs around and does their errands for them.

The best cutscene in the game is the one where Balthier and Fran have a conversation about returning to her village and you can hear Vaan in the background interrupting but not being responded too as they walk away having their talk.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I actually beat the game with Vaan at level 15, Basch at 80, and the other 4 all around 60. I had 2 parties but both had Basch overlapping and no Vaan.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I actually beat the game with Vaan at level 15, Basch at 80, and the other 4 all around 60. I had 2 parties but both had Basch overlapping and no Vaan.

I really think FFXII would have been vastly improved by cutting Vaan and Penelo completely and just making the player party all four protagonists. Also; more and wackier accents.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Barudak posted:

I really think FFXII would have been vastly improved by cutting Vaan and Penelo completely and just making the player party all four protagonists.

Well, unless I'm forgetting something, Penelo's sole contribution to the entire plot is getting kidnapped. Other than the "3 women in the party" tradition, I'm still not sure why she was even playable. After the Leviathan, I think it was, she stops being relevant altogether. In a way, cutting her wouldn't have made any impact at all because she never does anything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Well, unless I'm forgetting something, Penelo's sole contribution to the entire plot is getting kidnapped. Other than the "3 women in the party" tradition, I'm still not sure why she was even playable. After the Leviathan, I think it was, she stops being relevant altogether. In a way, cutting her wouldn't have made any impact at all because she never does anything.

She answers Vaan's dumbass question in a condescending manner in the tomb of Raithwall so clearly she has a huge role in the plot. I don't think I've heard her talk since then.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Barudak posted:

Dump his worthless rear end from the party and imagine that whenever you see him in town the party is chilling pack at the inn while he runs around and does their errands for them.

The best cutscene in the game is the one where Balthier and Fran have a conversation about returning to her village and you can hear Vaan in the background interrupting but not being responded too as they walk away having their talk.

Yeah funny thing about that, they literally wouldn't have gotten past Eryut village if it wasn't for Vaan. Since he was the one who interjected into the Viera guilt tripping Fran and refusing to help with "Fine, then gently caress off if you aren't going to help." Balthier literally congratulates him for it and admits they probably wouldn't have gotten anything out of the Viera if it wasn't for Vaan.

Look I know it's cool to pretend he had nothing to do with the plot and disappears from the game after the initial stretch, but that's silly and wrong. The fact of the matter is that unless you rewrite the game, you can't actually get anywhere without him, and even then the game would end in a different matter.

Lets be clear here, you don't have to like him. But there's a difference between "character I don't like" and "Character who is literally pointless."

Of course it's pointless to say this because everyones already made up their minds, but what the hell, I enjoy a challenge.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Vaan is a bit bland and has painted-on abs, but I've never understood all the hate he gets.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Onmi posted:

Yeah funny thing about that, they literally wouldn't have gotten past Eryut village if it wasn't for Vaan. Since he was the one who interjected into the Viera guilt tripping Fran and refusing to help with "Fine, then gently caress off if you aren't going to help." Balthier literally congratulates him for it and admits they probably wouldn't have gotten anything out of the Viera if it wasn't for Vaan.

Look I know it's cool to pretend he had nothing to do with the plot and disappears from the game after the initial stretch, but that's silly and wrong. The fact of the matter is that unless you rewrite the game, you can't actually get anywhere without him, and even then the game would end in a different matter.

Mm yes, that is quite a major contribution and not at all one that could have been solved by, say, giving Vaan's lines to someone else.

Of course given SE's usual development process I can definitely imagine the task of Ctrl-X + Ctrl-V taking three to six months to complete.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Vaan is a bit bland and has painted-on abs, but I've never understood all the hate he gets.

He has two plot arcs; one is resolved about a dungeon after you get Basch and the second is never resolved and doesn't come up again until late in the game. This means for huge stretches of the game he doesn't really have any direction or reason to tag along with the main cast other than he was there and is a nobody so presumably he can get them things in town without them being noticed. Penelo is such a non-entity that her non-existence in the story hurts Vaan because he's supposed to play off of her and she doesn't do jack for the majority of the game.

Vaan isn't the worst character in an FF game but in one where there is only a total of 6 playable characters being as marginal as he is really stands out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vaan even has a distinct character arc and plays a large part in how Ashe's resolves.

Edit: I'm not even arguing that his arc is good (It's really simplistic, he just grows up and stops being so focused on revenge and yeah, not a lot happens in it for long, long stretches of time), just that it happens.

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 22, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Mm yes, that is quite a major contribution and not at all one that could have been solved by, say, giving Vaan's lines to someone else
Characters have personalities. Would any of the other characters besides maybe Penelo make sense saying what Vaan said?

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
I'M BASCH VON RONSENBERG, OF DALMASCA

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

Characters have personalities. Would any of the other characters besides maybe Penelo make sense saying what Vaan said?

Yes, because Vaan has no personality of his own. His lines (which are sparse to begin with) are therefore easily transferable between established characters, with the exception of a few very, very stupid bits.

And even then, tell me you wouldn't have liked to see Basch Von Rosenberg of Dalmasca proudly informing everyone of this fact.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I'M BASCH VON RONSENBERG, OF DALMASCA

This is the pettiest thing but I would have enjoyed this sequence more if they had used his full and correct title; Basch von Ronsenberg of Landis, Captain of the Knights of Dalmasca.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Oxxidation posted:

Mm yes, that is quite a major contribution and not at all one that could have been solved by, say, giving Vaan's lines to someone else.

Of course given SE's usual development process I can definitely imagine the task of Ctrl-X + Ctrl-V taking three to six months to complete.

Actually you can't. Since the lines are character sensitive, he's the driving force of the early game. the only reason they ever go to Bhujerba is because Vaan browbeats Balthier into taking them, since he has no desire to go for Penelo or Basch, only for the Nethicite. Which he wouldn't need to get if Vaan wasn't there, and which Basch wouldn't have access to without rewriting the game.

Let's clarify something chums, for a character to be 'useless' they have to be completely replaceable as in "I can drop you from the game, and nothing will change, your function is served by an item." Several of these characters will pop up in any game, where there jobs could be fulfilled by a key. I use KOTOR 1 as an example as lot since outside of 3 party members, the entire games cast is completely pointless and could utterly be replaced by an assortment of keys.

You can't do that with Vaan. He needs to be in that role for the entire game to function, if you remove him, you have to rewrite the plot. And that by definition means he's not useless.

And if you start throwing in "Oh we rewrite this, we rewrite that" well then we can rewrite loving anything we please. Turns out, oddly enough, you can't just drop the character who pushes the early game forward and is responsible for the late game not ending on the Pharos, from the game, without having SOMEONE play his role. Which you just admitted to, since you said they would give someone else his lines. Wouldn't fit of course but hey.

Again. You do not have to like Vaan, when it comes to writing and storytelling and all that wonderful nonsense, whether you like something or not tends to mean jack poo poo. You can claim he was an utterly unlikable protagonist, and I wont fight you on that, but fact of the matter is He, Balthier and Ashe are basically the three most rounded of the games characters. Basch hardly says a word all game, and does less. But you like him, cause of who he is. But don't for a second delude yourself into thinking he does anything for most of the game but stand there.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Onmi posted:

Turns out, oddly enough, you can't just drop the character who pushes the early game forward and is responsible for the late game not ending on the Pharos, from the game, without having SOMEONE play his role.
Reddas was the second of those :colbert:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Reddas was the second of those :colbert:

Reddas was the one who made sure they didn't all blow up. Except for himself. Vaan was the one who made sure Ashe didn't go Dynast-Queen.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I just want to know why, going by voices, Vaan and Penelo are the only Americans in Ivalice.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ProfessorProf posted:

I just want to know why, going by voices, Vaan and Penelo are the only Americans in Ivalice.

Poor people don't get cool accents, QED.

Seriously, Maquis Ondere should have had an even more expanded role so that I could hear the voice. They should also have maybe recorded everyone's voices using something better than tin cans and string but hey.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ProfessorProf posted:

None of the other accents in the game are natural, it's just everyone trying to sound intelligent. Balthier practices his slight twang in the mirror every morning.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Barudak posted:

Poor people don't get cool accents, QED.

Seriously, Maquis Ondere should have had an even more expanded role so that I could hear the voice. They should also have maybe recorded everyone's voices using something better than tin cans and string but hey.

I think the main reason for the quality drop is how compressed the audio is for the game. But I could be wrong, for some reason the japanese version doesn't sound like that but eh.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Onmi posted:

I think the main reason for the quality drop is how compressed the audio is for the game. But I could be wrong, for some reason the japanese version doesn't sound like that but eh.

Really? Because its definitely present in the IZJS version as well but I wouldn't put it past SE to not have saved an uncompressed copy of the English sound files.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Barudak posted:

Really? Because its definitely present in the IZJS version as well but I wouldn't put it past SE to not have saved an uncompressed copy of the English sound files.

I recall that SE pretty much had the worst management in that era. And yeah the IZJS just uses the same voice files from the english version of the game, No idea why they wouldn't beyond "Why the hell would we need to keep those laying around."

Wouldn't be the first time, Capcoms lost the original annotated source for Megaman 1-6 I believe.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

He has two plot arcs; one is resolved about a dungeon after you get Basch and the second is never resolved and doesn't come up again until late in the game. This means for huge stretches of the game he doesn't really have any direction or reason to tag along with the main cast other than he was there and is a nobody so presumably he can get them things in town without them being noticed. Penelo is such a non-entity that her non-existence in the story hurts Vaan because he's supposed to play off of her and she doesn't do jack for the majority of the game.

Vaan isn't the worst character in an FF game but in one where there is only a total of 6 playable characters being as marginal as he is really stands out.

There's nothing wrong with having characters that don't have much to do with the main plot. That's the least people will forgive about the plot so long as the characters are entertaining, but the problem with XII is that it does nothing with its main characters after halfway into the game. And honestly you kind of see how the game forgets about the character dynamics it had set up even earlier than that.

I mean the moments where it does feel like there's point to Vaan is when it looks like he's going to be Balthier's protege or Ashe's window to how the everyman in her kingdom feels about things, but the game just drops that kind of character driven thing when the fetch quest for the magic stones starts, and then remembers it has character arcs to wrap up right at the end.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I've been replaying FF6 for the first time in years. I've been in an art slump so I decided to draw some of the enemies and thought you guys might like to see

from this guy:

I've been playing a challenge run to make it more interesting.

1. No shopping (except for 1 dried meat for Gau and a single sprint shoes)
2. Any item equipped by a character can never be equipped to another character, including magicite and relics.
3. If a weapon/armor/relic has any elements associated with it, a character can't use it unless you know at least one spell/lore to match each element. Exception: if a character knows NO elemental spells at all, then they don't have this restriction.
4. No farming XP or items.

Floating continent was a bit hairy with only 6 fenix downs!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
A video with FFXHD's new music compared to the old music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym9WyzSQ2oo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I don't like it. That guitar is super distracting and makes it sound like a shittier OCRemix version, and I don't want to hear Kimahri take a poo poo every time he uses an overdrive.

EDIT: After repeat listenings, I've warmed up a bit to it, but I still thinks it's a little overdone.