Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Jeffrey posted:

Marijuana has nothing to do with the left. Which party is more friendly is a matter of history, not ideology.

It's a social issue, which is why the people who support relaxing marijuana laws tend to be "progressives" or libertarian-leaning conservatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

computer parts posted:

Basically the only determining factor for 2016 is going to be the results of the 2014 election, and there will be only two possible decisions based on that election, and I can basically guarantee that "legalizing marijuana" will not be part of the national platform.

Yeah I'm not saying it will happen anytime soon. Really it would be a gentleman's bet since I don't expect such a bill to exist for a long time, if ever.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Miltank posted:

I have long suspected that republicans are going loop right back around to the left of Obama on accident.

The future leftist party of the USA will be the Republican Party after their POLITICAL_IDEOLOGY overflows and wraps around to anarchism.

Completely unsurprised that Obama is a shithead on drug policy though. Doesn't poll quite strongly enough yet and he'd have to deal with the fallout of changing drug schedules as a black president.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

computer parts posted:

Basically the only determining factor for 2016 is going to be the results of the 2014 election, and there will be only two possible decisions based on that election, and I can basically guarantee that "legalizing marijuana" will not be part of the national platform.

Why? Do you really not think that there will be a tipping point where the corporations that want pot legalized for profit manage to build enough influence to change the positions of one of the major parties? Living in a swing state like Colorado where Obama won basically on the vote of the youth. It appears to me that the GOP is going to have to move towards being a libertarian option, especially if the Democrats keep pursuing conservative policy. The legalization of drugs could be a way to revitalize the demographics of the GOP, which suffers when it comes to young progressive voters. Considering how poo poo poor the progressive bones are that the Democrats throw, why wouldn't the GOP start doing it?

quote:

Completely unsurprised that Obama is a shithead on drug policy though. Doesn't poll quite strongly enough yet and he'd have to deal with the fallout of changing drug schedules as a black president.

Yeah, that fallout would be nasty. I mean, Fox News would definitely run some pretty nasty attack ads. Definitely not worth pardoning the tens(hundreds?) of thousands of non-violent offenders in jail due to smoking the same goddamn thing he did. Definitely not worth attempting to reform the biggest domestic public policy debacle of the past forty years. It's not like we need the additional revenue. Plus, just because we imprison more of our citizens per capita than any country on Earth, doesn't mean we can't step that sucker up a notch.

Yes siree, that fallout would be terrible! Vote team blue! We'll defeat those dastardly Republicans some day.

a lovely poster fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 22, 2013

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

a lovely poster posted:

Yeah, that fallout would be nasty. I mean, Fox News would definitely run some pretty nasty attack ads. Definitely not worth pardoning the tens(hundreds?) of thousands of non-violent offenders in jail due to smoking the same goddamn thing he did. Definitely not worth attempting to reform the biggest domestic public policy debacle of the past forty years. It's not like we need the additional revenue. Plus, just because we imprison more of our citizens per capita than any country on Earth, doesn't mean we can't step that sucker up a notch.

Yes siree, that fallout would be terrible! Vote team blue! We'll defeat those dastardly Republicans some day.

Didn't say I agreed with it. Just saying Obama does have a history of this kind of political cowardice so I don't know why anyone is surprised.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

a lovely poster posted:

It appears to me that the GOP is going to have to move towards being a libertarian option, especially if the Democrats keep pursuing conservative policy. The legalization of drugs could be a way to revitalize the demographics of the GOP, which suffers when it comes to young progressive voters. Considering how poo poo poor the progressive bones are that the Democrats throw, why wouldn't the GOP start doing it?

The same reason they won't accept minorites: Because a majority of their current base won't support it. The GOP is not just party executives, it's every voter that they have, and a lot of these voters have been conditioned that Drugs Are Bad and they will gladly support someone that doesn't call for legalization and the party executives don't control the primaries, the voters do.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Didn't say I agreed with it. Just saying Obama does have a history of this kind of political cowardice so I don't know why anyone is surprised.

"Cowardice"? What would you have Obama do?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Do what's right instead of what gets his approval rating up.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

Do what's right instead of what gets his approval rating up.

And what would that be?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Pardon nonviolent offenders with huge prison sentences which Obama himself has said were unfair and discriminatory?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Does the president have enough authority to get the FDA to reschedule marijuana away from schedule 1? Or start the process?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jeffrey posted:

Pardon nonviolent offenders with huge prison sentences which Obama himself has said were unfair and discriminatory?

How many of those are actually in federal prison?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

Does the president have enough authority to get the FDA to reschedule marijuana away from schedule 1? Or start the process?

The executive has unilateral power to reschedule drugs, so yeah he can do as he pleases without congress on this issue.

computer parts posted:

Drug Offenses: 89,669 (46.8 %)

http://www.bop.gov/news/quick.jsp

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 22, 2013

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The X-man cometh posted:

Absolutely. Every day Obama doesn't push for it he is directly and unmistakably supporting and advocating the war on drugs. Same for every single elected official in the entire government. The only reason they don't do something is because they are morally bankrupt politicians in the pockets of corporate interests. This is not hyperbole, it is the sad, Awful truth.

Obama is quite happy about the hundreds of thousands of nonviolent drug offenders in jail and is not only complicit in their situation but directly responsible for it. He has the power to change it, and he does not, and he also thinks it is funny!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The X-man cometh posted:

He can just sign an executive order. The FDA does not maintain scheduling - the DEA does, without any required outside input, so he only has to order the DEA to deschedule/reschedule it and it is done.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

computer parts posted:

Federal prison has a much higher ratio of nonviolent:violent than state prison does, at least according to "drugwarfacts.org". Their number is ~1/3. No idea how reliable they are, and obviously this is raw drug offenses, not just ones that are "disproportionate"(I think they all are).

quote:

(Drug Offenders in US Prisons 2011)
Federal: On Dec. 31, 2011, there were 197,050 sentenced prisoners under federal jurisdiction. Of these, 94,600 were serving time for drug offenses, 14,900 for violent offenses, 10,700 for property offenses, and 69,000 for "public order" offenses (of which 22,100 were sentenced for immigration offenses, 29,800 for weapons offenses, and 17.100 for "other").

State: On Dec. 31, 2011, there were 1,341,804 sentenced prisoners under state jurisdiction. Of these, 225,242 were serving time for drug offenses, 710,875 for violent offenses, 245,351 for property offenses, 141,803 for "public order" offenses (which include weapons, drunk driving, court offenses, commercialized vice, morals and decency offenses, liquor law violations, and other public-order offenses), and 18,534 for "other/unspecified".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jeffrey posted:

Federal prison has a much higher ratio of nonviolent:violent than state prison does, at least according to "drugwarfacts.org". No idea how reliable they are.

I'm not talking about ratios, though, I'm talking about how many people are the "caught in possession of weed and sentenced to 15 years" type in federal prison? Or to put it more clearly, how many of the non-violent drug offenders in prison are there for reasons other than just possession (for example, distribution)?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

computer parts posted:

I'm not talking about ratios, though, I'm talking about how many people are the "caught in possession of weed and sentenced to 15 years" type in federal prison? Or to put it more clearly, how many of the non-violent drug offenders in prison are there for reasons other than just possession (for example, distribution)?
Who cares about the exact number other than out of idle curiosity? If the number is 1, he should pardon that person, if the number is 1 million, he should pardon those million people.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I've always wondered (and I apologize if it was answered in an earlier page of the thread): Why aren't cigarette companies hurling money hand over fist to get marijuana legalized?

There's the legend/rumor/whatever that Phillip Morris et. al have the copyrights to various weed names ready to go; I'll assume that's false, but wouldn't they want to use their existing supply chain to easily just start growing weed and making tons of money? Yes, the price of weed would go down because of supply, and the ability to grow it yourself, but shouldn't they be all about legalization?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

computer parts posted:

The same reason they won't accept minorites: Because a majority of their current base won't support it. The GOP is not just party executives, it's every voter that they have, and a lot of these voters have been conditioned that Drugs Are Bad and they will gladly support someone that doesn't call for legalization and the party executives don't control the primaries, the voters do.

I think the situation for those two issues is way different, with regard to minorities it seems like the party executives are desperately trying to improve their image while the base is violently resisting. On drug issues the party executives are basically silent or unsupportive of reform while among the base there is actually a surprising level of support for dialing back the drug war.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MaxxBot posted:

I think the situation for those two issues is way different, with regard to minorities it seems like the party executives are desperately trying to improve their image while the base is violently resisting. On drug issues the party executives are basically silent or unsupportive of reform while among the base there is actually a surprising level of support for dialing back the drug war.

And that's because the executives haven't tried to push it. The problem with the GOP is that they are unable to move anywhere to improve their base numbers and their current base is dying.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

SgtScruffy posted:

I've always wondered (and I apologize if it was answered in an earlier page of the thread): Why aren't cigarette companies hurling money hand over fist to get marijuana legalized?

Because they are primarily in the business of growing tobacco and their money is better spent trying to persuade third worlders to have a fag.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

SgtScruffy posted:

There's the legend/rumor/whatever that Phillip Morris et. al have the copyrights to various weed names ready to go; I'll assume that's false, but wouldn't they want to use their existing supply chain to easily just start growing weed and making tons of money? Yes, the price of weed would go down because of supply, and the ability to grow it yourself, but shouldn't they be all about legalization?

Once taxes increase/usage declines on cigarettes to the point where the margins on selling marijuana are more profitable it will be legalized.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

SgtScruffy posted:

It's not like Phillip Morris has a sterling reputation to look out for either. Also those trademark rumors are probably not true but "Camel Highs" and "Marlboro Greens" practically write themselves.

Computer parts, I'm purposely not limiting my claim to "possession of marijuana" convictions. Obama himself has pointed out the discriminatory nature of cocaine vs crack sentencing, but hasn't done anything for those already convicted for it. I stop at "drug offenses" because that is sufficient for it to be an unethical conviction to me.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Monsanto being behind an advertising push to legalize feels like one of those deal with the devil type things that would probably make a lot of pro-legalization people nervous.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

SgtScruffy posted:

I don't think tobacco companies want people smoking an plant that isn't nearly as habit forming as tobacco. I've never met a 2pack a day joint smoker (except when I chill with Juicy j i guess).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jeffrey posted:

I think it is unlikely but not impossible. I don't think predicting what the republican party will do for 2016/2020/etc is very tenable at this point, a lot can happen in that time. I don't think it is the likely outcome but if you gave me like 2.5:1 odds I'd bet :tenbux: that the future federal weed legalization bill has at least as many republicans as democrats voting yes.

This assumes the RNC will exist as a national party by 2020. I wouldn't take that bet.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

the black husserl posted:

I don't think tobacco companies want people smoking an plant that isn't nearly as habit forming as tobacco. I've never met a 2pack a day joint smoker (except when I chill with Juicy j i guess).

Speak for yourself, I've known plenty of people who blast through more than an ounce every three weeks and I've done the same myself. I don't smoke cigarettes and never, ever will. But if weed was in the gas station with it I'd be smoking fifteen joints a day.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
You really shouldn't do that. Not because of physical detriments, though I'm sure there are some, but because its symptomatic of escapism which like all things should be a "sometimes" thing.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powercrazy posted:

You really shouldn't do that. Not because of physical detriments, though I'm sure there are some, but because its symptomatic of escapism which like all things should be a "sometimes" thing.

Uh, or I just really like weed? Thanks for the "advice"?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I guess my perspective is different because the accessibility of weed isn't the only thing stopping me from being in a 24hr greenout.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powercrazy posted:

I guess my perspective is different because the accessibility of weed isn't the only thing stopping me from being in a 24hr greenout.

Look, you need to step back and realize you're actively trying to shame me because I like weed so much I would smoke it a lot every day. I am successful and productive in my life in literally any metric you'd care to name, and the only thing you know about me is that I really like marijuana. Does this really seem ok to you?

It's just unconsciously buying into 'weed is bad hurrrr' propaganda that you actually don't support. And it's kind of nasty and definitely not appreciated, because it gets really loving old having to carefully couch my opinions about weed so that people don't instantly assume I'm just some stoner hippy loser.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 23, 2013

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
If you are super successful on every possible metric, what is stopping you from smoking 15 joints a day right now, why is the availability of weed in a gas station going to change your habits?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powercrazy posted:

If you are super successful on every possible metric, what is stopping you from smoking 15 joints a day right now, why is the availability of weed in a gas station going to change what your habits?

If weed was legal, I wouldn't have to hide my use of it. Right now, I am living in a place I don't feel comfortable smoking. It is my own space, but because it's illegal here, I can't smoke it. Is this a difficult concept?

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 23, 2013

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

the black husserl posted:

I know people who smoke a quarter a week which is a lot and plenty more who do an eighth a week, it might not be as habit forming but it can also be difficult to quit because there's little motivation to. I've been a daily smoker for about three years and just recently started to cut back because I think I've been using it too much for escapism and the money saved doesn't hurt either (quite considerable when you build up a tolerance like mine). It never negatively affected my career, strict workout/diet routine, social life, etc while being tons of fun which is part of the reason why I had been a heavy user for so long.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 23, 2013

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Powercrazy posted:

If you are super successful on every possible metric, what is stopping you from smoking 15 joints a day right now, why is the availability of weed in a gas station going to change your habits?

Because as the risk/cost of things that consumers desire get lower, consumers are more likely to use/buy them. Welcome to reality, enjoy your stay.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Dear god, it's as though all recreational drugs have potential for abuse but this fact alone does not mean they should be illegal, or that people should be put in prison for it, or that it's wise to use it to a great extent just because you can!

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Dear god, it's as though all recreational drugs have potential for abuse but this fact alone does not mean they should be illegal, or that people should be put in prison for it, or that it's wise to use it to a great extent just because you can!

This idea is literally laughable in "realistic" political circles. :911:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

a lovely poster posted:

This idea is literally laughable in "realistic" political circles. :911:

It's not like we're locking up any future presidents of the united states here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Warchicken posted:

Look, you need to step back and realize you're actively trying to shame me because I like weed so much I would smoke it a lot every day. I am successful and productive in my life in literally any metric you'd care to name, and the only thing you know about me is that I really like marijuana. Does this really seem ok to you?

It's just unconsciously buying into 'weed is bad hurrrr' propaganda that you actually don't support. And it's kind of nasty and definitely not appreciated, because it gets really loving old having to carefully couch my opinions about weed so that people don't instantly assume I'm just some stoner hippy loser.

What is funny is that if you replaced weed with beer, no one say a thing about it.

• Locked thread