Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
There was an effort post a while ago about how the A-10 would not do that well against modern AA. It probably wouldn't hurt to replace it with a cost-effective, multi-role plane.

Laser VTOL stealth fighter would not be my first choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

This is so wrong I don't even know where to start.

Please? If I'm wrong I like to learn, I don't want to end up as some of the other people here.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I suspect that the true replacement for the A-10 will be a UAV. That job is now such a high-risk endeavor that drones will be the only way in the future.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

There was an effort post a while ago about how the A-10 would not do that well against modern AA. It probably wouldn't hurt to replace it with a cost-effective, multi-role plane.

I don't really see the US getting into a shooting war with anything using a modern AA network. The current 'War on Terror' is pretty biased towards those countries that can't field such a thing.

quote:

Laser VTOL stealth fighter would not be my first choice.

Lasers aren't even that great against ground targets.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Taerkar posted:

Lasers aren't even that great against ground targets.

:suspense:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Sjurygg posted:

Why is the NASAMS in use specifically around the DC area? I mean, it's kind of cool that they're using a system from teeny lil' us to protect the airspace around the capitol and the white house, but why not just use Patriot which is well-known, pervasive, well battle-tested and indigenous?

Patriot costs more, has a MUCH larger footprint, requires far more manning, would be way more obvious to the public, is desperately needed for other missions, and is a sector coverage weapon rather than a 360 degree coverage weapon. NASAMS is just a cheaper alternative with a capable missile, albeit a much shorter range and a less lethal missile than Patriot. You can pretty effectively shove a bunch of small(ish) sensors and launchers that support NASAMS all over the capitol region, either in clear areas or even on rooftops. You can't exactly do that with a Patriot battery. There are also plenty of Avengers in the capitol region, which have an even smaller footprint than NASAMS.

A modern (Config 3+) Patriot system can fire PAC-2 family missiles and PAC-3 family missiles concurrently. It just requires a PAC-3 capable launcher and interceptors to fire both at once. The PAC-3 launchers (ELES), are backwards compatible with PAC-2.

While PAC-3s are hit-to-kill versus TBMs, they have a lethality enhancer for use against air breathing threats.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Taerkar posted:

I don't really see the US getting into a shooting war with anything using a modern AA network. The current 'War on Terror' is pretty biased towards those countries that can't field such a thing.

Well, I don't either. But it's possible we could see such a conflict sometime during the aircraft's service life, and I'm fine with the military replacing it's aging airframes with new tech. Something like a modern day equivalent to the F-16 would have been great. A capable, flexible plane that doesn't break the bank.

Instead, we got a boondoggle that sounds like a six year old designed it. "It's gonna be stealthy, so no one can see it! And, and it's gonna carry bombs, and lasers, and take off like a helicopter!"

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The problem is that the first bit of "A capable, flexible plane that doesn't break the bank." tends to lead into the second bit, the boondoggle.

One-size-fits-all is great on paper, but there's no reason why we don't use specialized airframes for what we need.

vvvv Index funds. Anything else is foolish.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 21, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Taerkar posted:

Seeing as this is the Cold War thread and all, it's worth pointing out that we don't get into fights with people who might give us a rough time by ensuring as few countries as possible think they could give us a rough time. History isn't kind to rich and powerful civilizations that let their defense go to poo poo.

Also procurement programs aren't just about the threats of today, they're about the threats 15-30+ years out. If you think you can accurately predict the geopolitical threats of the 2040s then I hope you're playing the stock markets too.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Patriot costs more, has a MUCH larger footprint, requires far more manning, would be way more obvious to the public, is desperately needed for other missions, and is a sector coverage weapon rather than a 360 degree coverage weapon. NASAMS is just a cheaper alternative with a capable missile, albeit a much shorter range and a less lethal missile than Patriot. You can pretty effectively shove a bunch of small(ish) sensors and launchers that support NASAMS all over the capitol region, either in clear areas or even on rooftops. You can't exactly do that with a Patriot battery. There are also plenty of Avengers in the capitol region, which have an even smaller footprint than NASAMS.

A modern (Config 3+) Patriot system can fire PAC-2 family missiles and PAC-3 family missiles concurrently. It just requires a PAC-3 capable launcher and interceptors to fire both at once. The PAC-3 launchers (ELES), are backwards compatible with PAC-2.

While PAC-3s are hit-to-kill versus TBMs, they have a lethality enhancer for use against air breathing threats.

Also field tests with PAC-3s found they handled poorly in the powerful updrafts caused by the constant and massive exhalations of hot gas in the DC metro area

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
On the subject of procurement, how badly is our ( :911: ) procurement process messed up by people looking to make a buck? Is it a very serious problem, or is it blown out of proportion?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

Also field tests with PAC-3s found they handled poorly in the powerful updrafts caused by the constant and massive exhalations of hot gas in the DC metro area

Source?

But really, unless you NEED 16 interceptors per launcher or you're going for IFC shots, you should just use PAC-2s against ABTs anyway.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

On the subject of procurement, how badly is our ( :911: ) procurement process messed up by people looking to make a buck? Is it a very serious problem, or is it blown out of proportion?

They are the gears upon which the MIC turns its money-printing press, oiled by congresscritters seeking to get votes by bringing those jobs to their districts.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

It was a joke about politicians being windbags

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

It was a joke about politicians being windbags

:downs:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hepatizon posted:

The point is that the modern battlefield doesn't necessarily include modern air defense systems.

Yeah you don't build your military to deploy to a permissive environment. :stare: Also, today's high-end IADS pieces become tomorrow's Russian/Chinese cash grab. Vietnam didn't build those SA-2s, and Yugoslavia didn't invent the SA-3.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Personally I think it's vastly UNDERpublicized.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 21, 2013

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Snowdens Secret posted:

Seeing as this is the Cold War thread and all, it's worth pointing out that we don't get into fights with people who might give us a rough time by ensuring as few countries as possible think they could give us a rough time. History isn't kind to rich and powerful civilizations that let their defense go to poo poo.

Also procurement programs aren't just about the threats of today, they're about the threats 15-30+ years out. If you think you can accurately predict the geopolitical threats of the 2040s then I hope you're playing the stock markets too.

Definitely true, but as I said before the future of this sort of stuff is going to be UCAVs, especially in a high-loss area like CAS. You might still have piloted planes are interceptors and air-superiority, but for bomb trucks and strike platforms there really isn't any advantage anymore to having people in the sky.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Eventually I think it'll go that route. But hell, where we're at now Marines don't even like non-Marines to provide their CAS...you think Reapers or whatever the replacement's gonna be is any more acceptable? Or hell...do you really think it's that CAPABLE?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Phanatic posted:

Why the hell is the AGM-130 so expensive? Isn't it just a GBU-15 with a strap-on rocket kit, just like the GBU-15 is just a Mk84 with a strap-on LGB kit?

GBU-15 is command link controlled EO/IIR, not laser. That basically explains the expense. Both it and the AGM-130 were intended for use with only the very highest priority of targets...like poo poo that is almost on the level of "we blow this up, we shorten the war by 6 months or maybe we just end it right then and there."

Taerkar posted:

t
I've said this before, but it's not about what are we realistically going to get into a shooting war with in the next 2 years, it's about long term thinking, in two ways. First, our increasingly complex weapons mean that their procurement cycle takes incredibly long to fulfill. There is a reason that the USAF started thinking about its sixth-gen F-22 replacement a few years back. Geopolitics can change quite quickly...20 years ago the PLAN was a coastal defense force incapable of deploying more than a couple hundred nm from China's shores and the backbone of the PLAAF was the MiG-21. Second, and more importantly, keeping the ability to deter near-peer adversaries is very, very important, especially given our nation's role in guaranteeing the global commons. To paraphrase Joe Sestak, we need to have a force that makes the Admirals commanding the PLAN East and South Sea Fleets wake up every day and go "today's not the day."

Yes, I understand that there is a LOT more to that than just raw military power, and I fully support efforts in those endeavors (DoS is chronically and criminally underfunded, as just one example). However, if you don't think military force is a part of that equation, you're an idiot...and it's important to point out that military force plays a role in setting the conditions that make those other efforts easier. In other words diplomatic and economic efforts to keep good relations with other countries in East and Southeast Asia are a lot easier and effective if we have a credible military force that those countries know is interested in defending access to the commons as opposed to the alternative.

Godholio posted:

Personally I think it's vastly UNDERpublicized.

Darleen Druyun was just the tip of the iceberg and the only reason she got caught was because her actions were SO brazen.

e: It's going to be a little while before RPAs can do anything (air to air, air to ground, or otherwise) in a contested environment.

\/ :lol: I suspect you know exactly the piece that refreshed that quote in my memory. \/

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 21, 2013

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I loving hated it when Sestak's quote came up in the increasingly inane ASB vs. Offshore Control debate.

At this point I hope someone fire Bryan McGrath into the sun. Not because of his opinions, which are refreshingly straightforward albeit positively jingoistic, but because he's p. much aching for the US military to actively shape foreign policy towards his preferred state.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

I've said this before, but it's not about what are we realistically going to get into a shooting war with in the next 2 years, it's about long term thinking, in two ways.

And that's fine, but it irritates me when people (not you) say "the modern battlefield" and actually mean a hypothetical future.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

hepatizon posted:

And that's fine, but it irritates me when people (not you) say "the modern battlefield" and actually mean a hypothetical future.

Uh pretty sure the modern battlefield is a bombed out third world america ruled by Mexico, also some awesome tactical doggies.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

On the topic of the Su-30, there were also the rules of engagement from the Cope India 2004 exercise to consider.

-Each engagement involved 4 F-15Cs on defense versus 12 Indian aircraft (Su-30MKs, Mirage 2000s, Mig29s, Mig27s) attacking. In only one engagement did they switch roles with 12 IAF defending and 4 US attacking.
-BVR weapons were limited to a 20nm range.
-The F-15s more or less simulated the use of SARH missiles as they had to continue to illuminate targets after "firing" the AMRAAM. In contrast the IAF specifically set out to practice the use of the AA-12 and Mica using proper active-seeker tactics. Keep in mind this was the IAF's wargame and the US was there to be the OpFor the IAF wanted.

It makes a lot more sense why the F-15Cs playing the OpFor for the IAF were on the losing end so often. A lot of people really don't seem to grasp that exercises are often meant as training tools, not to match up military ships/jets/whatever for glorious and honorable single combat.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Lemmie tell you about Millennium Challenge 2002...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Warbadger posted:

On the topic of the Su-30, there were also the rules of engagement from the Cope India 2004 exercise to consider.

-Each engagement involved 4 F-15Cs on defense versus 12 Indian aircraft (Su-30MKs, Mirage 2000s, Mig29s, Mig27s) attacking. In only one engagement did they switch roles with 12 IAF defending and 4 US attacking.
-BVR weapons were limited to a 20nm range.
-The F-15s more or less simulated the use of SARH missiles as they had to continue to illuminate targets after "firing" the AMRAAM. In contrast the IAF specifically set out to practice the use of the AA-12 and Mica using proper active-seeker tactics. Keep in mind this was the IAF's wargame and the US was there to be the OpFor the IAF wanted.

It makes a lot more sense why the F-15Cs playing the OpFor for the IAF were on the losing end so often. A lot of people really don't seem to grasp that exercises are often meant as training tools, not to match up military ships/jets/whatever for glorious and honorable single combat.

The USAF agreed to Cope India with the intent of using it as propaganda after the fact. There was little doubt that the Indians would come out ahead, and the future of the F-22 was still very much under debate at the time. Granted, the Indians showed more prowess than anticipated, but they were always going to win. The exercise, like most air-to-air training events are designed this way, with restrictions similar to your list. For example, today's "threat of the day" is the MiG-21, so the red air pilots will simulate MiG-21s with lovely radar and weapons. Tomorrow might be Su-30, so watch out.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Just to add a tiny bit to the Sukhoi-chat, at the Paris Air Show this year Russia's defense export conglomerate was playing up a new(?) Su-35 for export customers. From what I remember it's not the same as previous Su-35s to wear the name, being actually more of a development of the Su-30 variants for India, Malaysia, and others, but that could be a complete misinterpretation on my part.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Well at least that's pretty.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Well, I don't either. But it's possible we could see such a conflict sometime during the aircraft's service life, and I'm fine with the military replacing it's aging airframes with new tech. Something like a modern day equivalent to the F-16 would have been great. A capable, flexible plane that doesn't break the bank.

Instead, we got a boondoggle that sounds like a six year old designed it. "It's gonna be stealthy, so no one can see it! And, and it's gonna carry bombs, and lasers, and take off like a helicopter!"

Name me the last time that anyone designed a multirole aircraft that went on to be a huge success. Go ahead, I'll wait here.

Back? So soon?

Now, go and look at all of the really, REALLY successful designs of the last 75 years. A-4, F-4, F-16, F-15, hell, the goddamned JU-88. What do they all have in common? They were designed to a very specific mission, and to excel at it. The A-4 was built to carry a pilot and a nuclear bomb, and thats it. Turns out it's a great light attack aircraft, and maneuverable enough to serve as a fighter aggressor aircraft.

The F-4 was a fleet defence interceptor that just happened to be an excellent multi-role strike fighter.

The F-15, same, despite being developed with "Not a pound for air to ground."

The F-16 was developed as a pure daytime air superiority fighter to tangle with MiG-29s. Turns out to be possibly the worlds best light multirole fighter.

But not a single one of these was designed by a committee, and asked to do everything for everyone. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Yeah I'm familiar with the Cope India 04 stuff but earlier you stated

quote:

I mean, at this point it'd be silly to drop a bunch of cash on ground-based air defense platforms when we've got an Air Force that really doesn't have much competition in that game.

Which is decidedly not the thing we're hearing from guys trumping up the usual dangers of (future) 'near-peer competitors' - albeit primarily the $8.36t gorilla in the room. Now I don't really think the US should invest more in ADA, seeing as the days of fighting big land wars might just be over for some time, but drones and long range strike might just proliferate down the chain a bit further than they have already.

MrYenko posted:

The F-16 was developed as a pure daytime air superiority fighter to tangle with MiG-29s.

-21s and -23s really, LPFI didn't get concrete design work done until 1974, so after the YF-16 had already flown, and the -29 reached 'IOC' (or whatever weird metric they used in the VVS) only in 1984.

F-16s were already being fielded by the bucketload at that point.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MrYenko posted:

Name me the last time that anyone designed a multirole aircraft that went on to be a huge success. Go ahead, I'll wait here.

A-1 Skyraider?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

wdarkk posted:

A-1 Skyraider?

Sandy :allears:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MrYenko posted:

I don't know how "multi" multirole has to be or what exactly qualifies as a "huge" success, but how did the Viggen fare?

In general, were the Swedish jet developments less insane than the US ones? There was a lot less money to throw around so it seems plausible that they had to be a bit more focused, although I don't know any of the gory details behind Tunnan/Lansen/Draken/Viggen/Gripen... What about all the other Euro fights?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

MrYenko posted:

But not a single one of these was designed by a committee, and asked to do everything for everyone. Funny how that works, isn't it?

When I think multirole, I usually think 'fighter-bomber'. If we can turn planes into successful multirole planes, there is no reason why we can't design one from the ground up. It can be done, it just probably won't be, because of the dreaded committees and the way the process works.

How much of the F-35 trainwreck has to do with committees?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Procurement is (also) generally hosed because every business person ever sees the government as a customer and immediately sees giant fuckin' dollar signs. Even factoring in late 'penalties' and such, it's so goddamned easy to pump up your stock price / make investors happy / etc.

SSA is heating up with the current space fence falling all over itself, there's a few firms jockeying to pick up the pieces there.

216A
May 27, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Taerkar posted:

Lemmie tell you about Millennium Challenge 2002...

I thought the media details would never end and being General Petraeus driver sucked.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Actually it was more of a reference to the fact that the Air Force absolutely sucks at CAS, they should stick to dogfights and carpet bombing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

When I think multirole, I usually think 'fighter-bomber'. If we can turn planes into successful multirole planes, there is no reason why we can't design one from the ground up. It can be done, it just probably won't be, because of the dreaded committees and the way the process works.

How much of the F-35 trainwreck has to do with committees?

Almost all of it, IMO. The F-35A is not a disaster, nor is the C.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Imagine what the disaster would look like had we gotten the X-32 instead.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thwomp posted:

It's like a plane that has a neckbeard.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

It's :buddy: with wings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Thwomp posted:

Had a solid rocket booster at the end of the wings, and you've got a Kerbal Space Program model, right there.