Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

QueerPope posted:

Well that's certainly a lot of assumptions and a distorted idea of things. Basically, people aren't saying that there's anything wrong with white Cecil, they're just talking about how they're frustrated that a character that could be any race is being portrayed as white because it's another instance of white being seen as "normal" or "default." But it started just as a few people venting on their personal blogs, but then those people got attacked by random people for saying that, and all sorts of "But the real Cecil Baldwin is white!" (but nobody is drawing the real Cecil Baldwin) and "But his voice sounds white!" (I hope I don't have to explain how this is racist) and this came right after there was a big argument over how the popular fanon for Carlos was white for a bit (but then people sorta realized how Carlos probably isn't white and hispanic Carlos became more popular) so there was already people who were upset about these characters being drawn from a "white default." So this resulted in a full out movement in response, like "how dare you attack me for venting about this, and using racist excuses like the idea that poc have to sound a certain way or like the VA's race matters when Kevin's VA is black but everyone draws him white and Kevin and Cecil are identical doppelgangers" and there was people making graphs of the different portrayals of Cecil(there's another graph in the commentary). The people who are mad, see it like this.

And I want to point out that those blogs I linked to are people of color, of various genders. At least as far as I know, some of them didn't have things like "half-asian" or "cherokee" right in their titles or descriptions; or selfies tagged "#me" I could look at to see.

Honestly, even if the popular fanon of Cecil wasn't white, I still don't like how he's basically just being portrayed as Aziraphale from Good Omens with a third eye and (sometimes) arm tattoos. This whole debate has awoken the creativity in a lot of the fanartists and there's a lot more variety of portrayal going on with him now.

I did not want to derail this thread with a tumblr issue and I apologize and retract my comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Oh wow that sounds great. Like since they're just voices in my ear they can be drawn any way and I wouldn't really care. Really did like that one angel drawing someone posted in the thread earlier though. That was pretty cool.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

This is probably really obvious but I'm a new listener: how/where can I listen to the songs featured in each episode? Is there some place where they're all collected?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Smeep posted:

This is probably really obvious but I'm a new listener: how/where can I listen to the songs featured in each episode? Is there some place where they're all collected?

Links to the artists in the episode descriptions. Please buy any songs you liked:

http://nightvale.libsyn.com

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!
White Cecil, black Cecil, whatever. The dude works in small-town community radio. Realistically, Tumblr fans should be imagining Art Bell while they jill off.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I'm so glad this is an argument I feel like I can completely ignore.

I'm super excited about a potential comic book, though. Can you tell us anything more about that?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Tickets for late show on sale in just a few minutes. Heads up. http://nightvaleoctlate.brownpapertickets.com

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Jesus Night Vale-ing Christ

I was the 5th person to post in this thread last year, have listened to Night Vale ever since, and had no idea it had blown up like this! I tend to live in a bit of a bubble where podcasts are concerned, so I just hadn't looked into this thread since I last posted. Holy poo poo!

Congrats all around to maxnmona and his team! It's always exciting to see something genuinely creative and different get the attention it deserves.

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 22, 2013

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Paul Allen posted:

Jesus Night Vale-ing Christ

I was the 5th person to post in this thread last year, have listened to Night Vale ever since, and had no idea it had blown up like this!
This, for real, it's been a lot of fun to have all my friends suddenly start recommending this and I reply with an email or whatnot from last year where I recommended it and they blew it off.

Oh hell, does that mean we can be like, Night Vale hipsters now?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I got my ticket for the late show even though none of my friends wanted to go with me! I'm so looking forward to it.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

iostream.h posted:

This, for real, it's been a lot of fun to have all my friends suddenly start recommending this and I reply with an email or whatnot from last year where I recommended it and they blew it off.

Oh hell, does that mean we can be like, Night Vale hipsters now?

When's that next shortwave test gonna be?

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I'm so glad this is an argument I feel like I can completely ignore.

I'm super excited about a potential comic book, though. Can you tell us anything more about that?
This is the first I'm hearing about this and if it's true I'm stoked as all hell.
Ideally, I would love it if each chapter or section or whatever were drawn by a different artist so that the characters, especially Cecil, look completely different in each one. But whatever it is, if it ever exists, I'm sure as gently caress buying it.

VV Okay cool. VV

Action Yak fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 23, 2013

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

We are currently meeting with a number of different publishers. So nothing confirmed but very likely. Any comic book we did probably wouldn't focus on the main characters from the podcast so everyone can stop panicking about what they'll look like.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Comic book as in one-shots, serials or graphic novel?

Action Yak Police posted:

This is the first I'm hearing about this and if it's true I'm stoked as all hell.
Ideally, I would love it if each chapter or section or whatever were drawn by a different artist so that the characters, especially Cecil, look completely different in each one. But whatever it is, if it ever exists, I'm sure as gently caress buying it.

There is always plan 'shadowy figure behind a lighted radio microphone.' With eyes so black and endless, that the void pales in comparison. Because they know.

If a comic book doesn't cause at least 3 :gonk: a page, I will be disappointed. :colbert:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Speaking of comic books, I happend to read one yesterday that I think would really appeal to Night Vale fans.

It's called The Number 73304-23-4153-6-96-8 by Thomas Ott

No words, only great art and a very well told rather dark and surreal story. Very much like an episode of the Twilight Zone in comic form except the lack of any dialogue really enhances the atmosphere.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Number-73304-23-4153-6-96-8-T-Ott/dp/1560978759

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

maxnmona posted:

We are currently meeting with a number of different publishers. So nothing confirmed but very likely. Any comic book we did probably wouldn't focus on the main characters from the podcast so everyone can stop panicking about what they'll look like.

Huh, so would you like write the story / words for the comic book while someone else does all the art direction / whatnot? I'd be interested in hearing about what the process of going from a script to a comic book is like but you're probably busy as hell.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Venusian Weasel posted:

When's that next shortwave test gonna be?
This weekend! Probably Saturday night.
I will make sure that I let everyone know freq/time.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

OK, a bit earlier in the thread I was complaining that Cecil was a bit too monotone and has awkwardly perfect pronunciation... but I finally got to the Sandstorm episode(s), and everything has clicked. God bless this podcast and all that is involved.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

I'm wracking my brain for which indie darling I'd like to see write a Night Vale comic. Gonna go with Brandon Graham. Dude knows how to do weird, inexplicable poo poo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Dickeye posted:

I'm wracking my brain for which indie darling I'd like to see write a Night Vale comic. Gonna go with Brandon Graham. Dude knows how to do weird, inexplicable poo poo.

NO NO NO NO NO.

Bring in James Roberts from the current Transformers comics. He's the best writer in comics right now, no joke, and he'd fit perfectly.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DoctorWhat posted:

NO NO NO NO NO.

Bring in James Roberts from the current Transformers comics. He's the best writer in comics right now, no joke, and he'd fit perfectly.

Have you read Graham's Prophet? The whole thing is weird sci-fi poo poo that doesn't ever get explained but sorta kinda not really makes sense in context with the rest of the world.

Also we're gonna pretend that last bit isn't there because man there are a bunch of dudes better than him writing way better books.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Just found the podcast today. I actually went out for a second walk this evening because I wanted to hear more of it but not in my quiet, dark house. :ghost:

I'm six episodes in and the only reason I'm stopping now is because I probably should get to sleep sometime in the next several hours. This is amazing stuff.

Edit: I will never look at the dog park I walk past everyday the same way again.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

skaboomizzy posted:

Just found the podcast today. I actually went out for a second walk this evening because I wanted to hear more of it but not in my quiet, dark house. :ghost:

I'm six episodes in and the only reason I'm stopping now is because I probably should get to sleep sometime in the next several hours. This is amazing stuff.

Edit: I will never look at the dog park I walk past everyday the same way again.

Don't read the thread. The podcast has continuity and characters and such and very major things have happened long enough in the past that we talk about them without spoiler tags. Just FYI.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Ariong posted:

Don't read the thread. The podcast has continuity and characters and such and very major things have happened long enough in the past that we talk about them without spoiler tags. Just FYI.

I figured as much, I just wanted to post my appreciation. I'll read the rest of the thread when I'm caught up with the backlog so... Sunday, at this rate.

bag squad
Sep 5, 2008

by T. Finninho
http://www.buzzfeed.com/sedem/the-42-stages-of-welcome-to-night-vale-addiction-cjrb
this is great stuff op, thanks buzzfeed

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Wedemeyer posted:

In other news, has anyone heard of this idea that the Apache Tracker is actually Slavic, and that he's wearing Native Slavic dress, not Native American dress? Cecil even mentions that he's Slavic. Initially, I took him to be a mocking of hipsters wearing Native American 'inspired' fashion, but that does put a twist on the character.

I think this came from the fact that he speaks Russian as he's dying. Maybe he always could; maybe it's a newly-aquired proficiency; either way we'll probably never know.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Wedemeyer posted:

In other news, has anyone heard of this idea that the Apache Tracker is actually Slavic, and that he's wearing Native Slavic dress, not Native American dress? Cecil even mentions that he's Slavic. Initially, I took him to be a mocking of hipsters wearing Native American 'inspired' fashion, but that does put a twist on the character.

Cecil specifically mentions that the headdress is plastic.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Astrofig posted:

I think this came from the fact that he speaks Russian as he's dying. Maybe he always could; maybe it's a newly-aquired proficiency; either way we'll probably never know.

He started doing it after he disappeared for a while and came back transformed into an actual native american. A native american who could only speak russian... He spoke English before that.

Crump Rocknubs
Sep 14, 2007

Maybe grind on some shit.
I feel like his self-professed "Indian Magicks" put the kibosh on that theory.

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not wearing any pants
Speaking of racist jerks, I have seen way too many people talk about wanting to cosplay the Apache Tracker! :catstare: Maybe you guys need to make some official statement making it clear that that would be a terrible idea and you don't want to be associated with that sort of thing? Because apparently you didn't spell it out enough that he was a racist rear end in a top hat.

Also is the autographed shirt for the live show going to be a new design or one of the existing ones?

QueerPope posted:

Well that's certainly a lot of assumptions and a distorted idea of things. Basically, people aren't saying that there's anything wrong with white Cecil, they're just talking about how they're frustrated that a character that could be any race is being portrayed as white because it's another instance of white being seen as "normal" or "default." But it started just as a few people venting on their personal blogs, but then those people got attacked by random people for saying that, and all sorts of "But the real Cecil Baldwin is white!" (but nobody is drawing the real Cecil Baldwin) and "But his voice sounds white!" (I hope I don't have to explain how this is racist) and this came right after there was a big argument over how the popular fanon for Carlos was white for a bit (but then people sorta realized how Carlos probably isn't white and hispanic Carlos became more popular) so there was already people who were upset about these characters being drawn from a "white default." So this resulted in a full out movement in response, like "how dare you attack me for venting about this, and using racist excuses like the idea that poc have to sound a certain way or like the VA's race matters when Kevin's VA is black but everyone draws him white and Kevin and Cecil are identical doppelgangers" and there was people making graphs of the different portrayals of Cecil(there's another graph in the commentary). The people who are mad, see it like this.

And I want to point out that those blogs I linked to are people of color, of various genders. At least as far as I know, some of them didn't have things like "half-asian" or "cherokee" right in their titles or descriptions; or selfies tagged "#me" I could look at to see.

Honestly, even if the popular fanon of Cecil wasn't white, I still don't like how he's basically just being portrayed as Aziraphale from Good Omens with a third eye and (sometimes) arm tattoos. This whole debate has awoken the creativity in a lot of the fanartists and there's a lot more variety of portrayal going on with him now.

Yes thank you for this! It's really a shame how the whole issue turned out. It could have started an interesting discussion and some reflection about race depictions in media and how 'white' ends up being the default, but instead all you got was 10 million posts of ":cry: stop shaming meeee why do you hate white people?? race doesn't matter waaahhh :cry:"

Really, for a show that spends a decent bit of time calling out racism and all, it's disturbing that the fandom is still more likely to imagine the main character as a purple multi-eyed tentacle monster than as, oh I dunno, a black or asian guy or something. :raise:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The Apache Tracker sacrificed himself to save Carlos, also who are you to say that he didn't actually have Indian Magicks?

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack

Customer Service posted:

Speaking of racist jerks, I have seen way too many people talk about wanting to cosplay the Apache Tracker! :catstare: Maybe you guys need to make some official statement making it clear that that would be a terrible idea and you don't want to be associated with that sort of thing? Because apparently you didn't spell it out enough that he was a racist rear end in a top hat.

Also is the autographed shirt for the live show going to be a new design or one of the existing ones?

Yes thank you for this! It's really a shame how the whole issue turned out. It could have started an interesting discussion and some reflection about race depictions in media and how 'white' ends up being the default, but instead all you got was 10 million posts of ":cry: stop shaming meeee why do you hate white people?? race doesn't matter waaahhh :cry:"

Really, for a show that spends a decent bit of time calling out racism and all, it's disturbing that the fandom is still more likely to imagine the main character as a purple multi-eyed tentacle monster than as, oh I dunno, a black or asian guy or something. :raise:
OP do you get more questions about the content of the episodes or of Tumblr feeds? This thread has so much talk about the fan base and fanart and third party representations of your creative content that it seems weird. Are you able to enjoy that as an aspect of the popularity of the show or does it get tired?

I really like how any given episode is enjoyable standalone. I'll often listen once as background audio just for Cecil's pleasant voice and the overt weird-as-normal content, then more intently later for bits of continuity.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Astrofig posted:

Weird coincidence that this was brought up just now, as I was coming here to ask if anyone can translate what he's saying? I Googled it and came up with nothing.
However, I did find a translation of what he says in in "A Story About You," which seems to be, "You’re in danger. They will come from below. Pies will not help." [source]

Dickeye posted:

The Apache Tracker sacrificed himself to save Carlos, also who are you to say that he didn't actually have Indian Magicks?
The first time I listened to "One Year Later," I thought that the Apache Tracker used his "Magicks" to heal Carlos at the cost of his own life, revealing that he did, in fact, actually have magical powers as he claimed to. The second time I listened to it I realized that he just carried him out of the city.

fake edit: I know that the post I quoted makes my spoiler tags irrelevant, but I'm still going to use them, dammit. :colbert:

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Brownview posted:

OP do you get more questions about the content of the episodes or of Tumblr feeds? This thread has so much talk about the fan base and fanart and third party representations of your creative content that it seems weird. Are you able to enjoy that as an aspect of the popularity of the show or does it get tired?

I really like how any given episode is enjoyable standalone. I'll often listen once as background audio just for Cecil's pleasant voice and the overt weird-as-normal content, then more intently later for bits of continuity.

Fans are awesome and the fan art we've seen has been awesome. We wouldn't be in the position where we are now without them.

That said, we will never ever ever ever ever under any circumstance ever get involved in any sort of fan argument or dispute, so everyone can stop asking us.

As for questions and contact, we get around 200 emails a day, so obviously some of those are interesting and some aren't and some are crazy and some are from people who don't seem to be aware that google exists. The mix you'd expect.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack

maxnmona posted:

Fans are awesome and the fan art we've seen has been awesome. We wouldn't be in the position where we are now without them.

That said, we will never ever ever ever ever under any circumstance ever get involved in any sort of fan argument or dispute, so everyone can stop asking us.

As for questions and contact, we get around 200 emails a day, so obviously some of those are interesting and some aren't and some are crazy and some are from people who don't seem to be aware that google exists. The mix you'd expect.
Cool, and the tone of your answer kind of addresses an assumption I had made when I asked if off-topic chatter is bothersome. You're not (just) a goon that created a thread about a thing he made, you're the co-creator of a very popular entertainment product listened to by millions(?).

I wasn't *really* considering the sunny and dark sides of internet fandom as a driving force behind the popularity of your podcast, I was asking if it's annoying that nerds are nerding in your thread. Congratulations on your growing success, I can't even imagine what the road's been like. :)

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Whats the word on the night vale book by the way. That sounds really fun.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Action Yak Police posted:

However, I did find a translation of what he says in in "A Story About You," which seems to be, "You’re in danger. They will come from below. Pies will not help." [source]

The Apache Tracker was not a lot of things. A man capable of seeing the future is one of those. If someone hucked a few pies at the people of the Underground City, I bet it would've caused them some problems! If he had taken some pies, he might still be alive, in fact! So basically, the Apache Tracker's death is completely meaningless. He can't even be considerate in death! What an rear end in a top hat.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 24, 2013

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I don't really even "see" Cecil, when my brain start making a movie out of an episode it shoots around him. It's just a 1980's era radio dj both with cuts to microphones, lit "on air" signs, blinking control panels with tiny levers and a rare shot of a dress shirt clothed shoulder or back. Like those old shows and movies where the director just wanted somebody to be a voice on the radio and nothing more.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

SirDan3k posted:

I don't really even "see" Cecil, when my brain start making a movie out of an episode it shoots around him. It's just a 1980's era radio dj both with cuts to microphones, lit "on air" signs, blinking control panels with tiny levers and a rare shot of a dress shirt clothed shoulder or back. Like those old shows and movies where the director just wanted somebody to be a voice on the radio and nothing more.

This exactly. I have a clear mental image of every character except Cecil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Cecil (somehow) looks like the bathroom floor tile in the extended-stay hotel I was in for two months for the National Guard when I started listening to Welcome to Night Vale. I always listened to it after EMT/Medic classes late at night (classes were from 0800-2200) on my Note 10.1 while sitting in the bathtub trying to unwind for sleep.

I don't know how better to explain it that somehow the voice of Cecil "looks" like red saltillo tile in a diamond pattern and will never change for me.