Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
http://thebitterscriptreader.blogspot.com/2013/08/why-spike-lees-kickstarter-campaign-is.html

quote:

Spike Lee's Kickstarter campaign ended this morning with him topping out at over $1.4 million dollars in donations. He's the third-highest film campaign in history after Veronica Mars ($5.7M) and Zach Braff's Wish I Was Here ($3.1M). After Veronica Mars walked away with its windfall, there was no shortage of editorials proclaiming that this could be the start of a trend - for good and for ill. Some hoped it would bring independent filmmakers more opportunities, while others feared that studios and the privileged would take advantage of their supporters by getting them to essentially pay for the movie. So does Spike Lee's success confirm any of that?

Veronica Mars had 91,585 donors and a total of over $5.7 M, which makes their average donation $62.36. Even though Braff raised less, $3.1 M, his average donation was pretty close - $66.76. Spike Lee's average donation? $220.98

A full 26.1% of Lee's donations were given at the $10,000 level or higher. Guess how those numbers break out for Veronica Mars and Braff - $0.6% and 0% percent, respectively.

9.2% of Spike Lee's donors are responsible for 68.9% of his campaign.

It seems like Spike Lee kickjacked his own project.

If true, Kickstarter is probably laughing all the way to the bank.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Aug 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Zaphod42 posted:

http://thebitterscriptreader.blogspot.com/2013/08/why-spike-lees-kickstarter-campaign-is.html

It seems like Spike Lee kickjacked his own project.

If true, Kickstarter is probably laughing all the way to the bank.

How did you get that from that article? I agree with bitterscriptreader that it was probably Spike Lee's rich friends who tossed in bucks.

I like Spike Lee's work, but I am always astonished at how successfully he positions himself as indie man of the people while hobnobbing with some of the richest people in the US. He's on Martha's Vineyard right now hanging with people for whom a $10K Kickstarter pledge would be pocket change.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Pretty much all I know about Spike Lee(unless I've seen stuff by him I didn't know was by him) is that he tried suing Spike TV over their name, so my opinion of this is instantly biased and suspicious.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Pretty much all I know about Spike Lee(unless I've seen stuff by him I didn't know was by him) is that he tried suing Spike TV over their name, so my opinion of this is instantly biased and suspicious.

All I remember is his :smug: defense of that god-awful Lucas production Red Tails. I don't really know of any films of his.

PrinceRandom has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Aug 22, 2013

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

WickedHate posted:

Shouldn't you be more suspicious of a guy who wanted to be mistaken as affiliated with SpikeTV?

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
My undergrad college paid Spike Lee a very generous sum (2 years worth of prestigious speaker budget) to come speak (because we are an egregiously white, private college), and it was quite literally unpracticed and off-the-cuff. Money well spent! :downs:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Spike Lee is sometimes a bit of douche but a lot of it's is blown hugely out of proposition because of his image in the media as the "angry black director". Also Do the Right Thing is one of the best films of all time so if he wants to talk poo poo he's earned it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Practically everyone in CineD supports Lee's Kickstarter, because they want to see Lee make another movie with as little studio involvement as possible. Rich people helping him is nothing new either; when he needed to raise money to distribute Malcolm X celebrities like Janet Jackson and Michael Jordan chipped in.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Spike made some good stuff but Spike with nobody to keep him honest is NOT going to get good results. Self indulgent Spike is the worst Spike

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

PrinceRandom posted:

All I remember is his :smug: defense of that god-awful Lucas production Red Tails. I don't really know of any films of his.

Inside Man is a nice caper movie, but mostly he's been riding on the coattails of his first movie a la M. Night Shyamalan.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Here's another movie aimed at the Lifetime channel crowd: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1500620446/courage-of-two

A supposedly feel good movie about two boys finding friendship in dark times is overshadowed by cheesy sad piano music, choppy acting and really poorly done sitdowns with the people involved.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

FreudianSlippers posted:

Spike Lee is sometimes a bit of douche but a lot of it's is blown hugely out of proposition because of his image in the media as the "angry black director". Also Do the Right Thing is one of the best films of all time so if he wants to talk poo poo he's earned it.

Basically everybody thinks that one Family Guy joke was 100% accurate and anytime he candidly says something negative or critical in an interview it gets blown up as "whoa angry black man on the warpath!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t19Y98jmh0E

It was just a well put-together campaign all together. The rewards were fantastic, for less than $20 you get stuff like signed copies of his books and posters and you only have to pay $20 to see the movie. Unlike, say, Veronica Mars.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

monster on a stick posted:

Inside Man is a nice caper movie, but mostly he's been riding on the coattails of his first movie a la M. Night Shyamalan.

M. Night Shyamalan is riding on the coattails of Praying With Anger?

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

PrinceRandom posted:

If you've never seen Do The Right Thing you pretty much forfeit your right to have your opinions about films and filmmakers taken seriously.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Lee is a legitimately brilliant director who has done/said like two stupid things that for some reason (he's black) get tossed around as anchors around his neck why he's a crazy angry person who hates white people.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yes, a million times yes. Do The Right Thing is one of the quintessential films of its generation.

Also Malcolm X is pretty amazing, and he's right about Tyler Perry's bullshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTjvC3-UgQo

Manifest has a new favorite as of 01:02 on Aug 23, 2013

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.
Sad news guys....

DKS's Reality Death Maze didn't get funded...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2010618696/dkss-reality-death-maze?ref=email

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

M3wThr33 posted:

Sad news guys....

DKS's Reality Death Maze didn't get funded...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2010618696/dkss-reality-death-maze?ref=email

They should lower their funding goal to $50,000 and make it an Ouya exclusive :v:

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
I learned how to use MS Paint today. Now buy my T-shirts. My favourite reward tier is the gift basket of which he doesn't even know the contents. It's like there's a contest going on for the most uninspired T-shirt kickstarter, and this guy really wants to win.

You know those little flash banners they had on the internet in the early 2000s? The ones with those little games where you had to shoot three ducks or some other task to 'win' stuff? It's making a comeback, except this time on your mobile phone. And instead of 'winning' free PS2s, cruises and green cards, you can win discounts on pizzas and starbucks coffee.

These people probably don't realize it, but they want to make a KickStarter for mobile applications. You pay a dollar and then get to upload your idea to their Store, where people can then place orders for the piece of software you're going to write. Or are going to outsource to someone else, because you don't actually need to have anything presentable to show your future customers.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Concerning the failed Final Fantasy VII fanfilm attempt, how hard is it to get actual actors for fanfilms? Wouldn't a lot of actors (name-actors and otherwise) not want to be associated with such a thing? Or is a role a role?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm very sure there are numerous more higher paying and more respectable roles for a big name actor than putting on a Cloud wig for some no name production. Unless it was a specific passion project, I guess.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm very sure there are numerous more higher paying and more respectable roles for a big name actor than putting on a Cloud wig for some no name production. Unless it was a specific passion project, I guess.

What about non-big-name actors? Would they be willing to do such a role, or would there be too much of a risk of damaging one's reputation, like those poor actors and actresses in The Room?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, if you're talking about like a trained amateur or unknown actor, then I could see it happening.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Hang around any local film associations long enough, and you'll find plenty of people who will dedicate weeks of their life to a crappy project for no pay.

It's really sad.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Song For The Deaf posted:

Hang around any local film associations long enough, and you'll find plenty of people who will dedicate weeks of their life to a crappy project for no pay.

It's really sad.

Look this is how I make a living god drat it. Without those people I'd be hosed. I hope my projects aren't you know...crappy though. God I hope they aren't...

I do also try and pay everyone, though.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Also, how would people making fanfilms get permission to film anywhere? That'd be a hell of a conversation with a property owner or other relevant authority. Or would they just do it on public property guerilla-style? I've read that not all towns are strict about permits.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't think the people issuing filming permits are going to refuse based on the content of what is planned to be filmed. Seems like that'd violate the first amendment or something.

Edit: Also, I doubt they care that much.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
FIlming permits aren't needed most places. They tend to only be required in places that are popular to film, or when you need to do something like halt normal traffic in public streets for a scene.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What about getting permission to film on private property?

BiggerJ has a new favorite as of 05:06 on Aug 25, 2013

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
My friend just finished a Fallout fanfilm that had the voice actors from the game in it, the permission of the rights-holders, and a premiere at PAX. I have no idea if its any good but there didn't seem to be any issues.

All these problems at applicable to normal films, too.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BiggerJ posted:

What about getting permission to film of private property?

You generally don't need that! Especially when we're talking movies that get seen by 400 people total and were produced on a budget of $500.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Why the hell do you care so drat much, man?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Why the hell do you care so drat much, man?

I'm just wondering. It's always seemed odd to me. Fanworks like that seem to have such a bad reputation, yet making fanfilms requires actually directly dealing with people.

BiggerJ has a new favorite as of 05:29 on Aug 25, 2013

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

TheJoker138 posted:

I do also try and pay everyone, though.

That's fine. I'm referring specifically to "directors" who promise only to pay in "good stuff for your reel", "publicity", and "craft services". If there's a nominal effort to pay someone something approaching a fair wage for their work, that's cool. It's just tough to believe that fan projects on Kickstarter would make the effort, especially when the inclination is to try and get as much done for free as possible. And free labor is really easy to get in creative fields.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

BiggerJ posted:

Also, how would people making fanfilms get permission to film anywhere? That'd be a hell of a conversation with a property owner or other relevant authority.

"I'd like to film a movie here."

"Okay."

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

BiggerJ posted:

Fanworks like that seem to have such a bad reputation, yet making fanfilms requires actually directly dealing with people.
Well making films requires dealing with people in general. You cannot make one single handedly. You have to know how to deal with people - especially if you can't afford things.

Private property permissions generally involves shortlisting areas found via location scouting then doing one on one negotiations with the property owner depending on what's required and usually comes with an agreement to clean up when done.

Fan films often have their bad reputation in part for being spectacularly unoriginal low-budget attempts at replicating the big screen. Nearly every Batman film has to have The Joker claim "you made me Batman!" as if this is some stunning insight into the character that no one else thought of!

Many of the ones people admire were actually made by effect and stunt men between jobs. "Batman: Dead End" was simply made for the intention of being a demo reel - it's pure fan wank!

The general ruling is you can make a fan film for fun, but can't do things like charge people to see it in a cinema.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I don't really understand the mentality behind making a fan film. If you're going to be spending money, time and effort on a film why not make something original?

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 06:32 on Aug 25, 2013

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I don't really understand the mentality behind making a fan film. If you're going to spending money, time and effort on a film why not make something original?

I've always wondered this about fan fiction too. At least that a person can make on their own though, trying to get other people to help you make your love letter to fictional characters must be tough.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

BiggerJ posted:

Concerning the failed Final Fantasy VII fanfilm attempt, how hard is it to get actual actors for fanfilms? Wouldn't a lot of actors (name-actors and otherwise) not want to be associated with such a thing? Or is a role a role?
Walter Koening and George Takei have been in some Star Trek fan films, if I recall correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Greggy posted:

I've always wondered this about fan fiction too. At least that a person can make on their own though, trying to get other people to help you make your love letter to fictional characters must be tough.
It's somewhat an easier sell to use existing characters as you don't have to explain things. "Oh we're doing a short film about Stormtroopers who act like they're on C.O.P.S.".

HEGEL CURES THESES posted:

Walter Koening and George Takei have been in some Star Trek fan films, if I recall correctly.
Star Trek: Phase II.