Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

njsykora posted:

From the Ouya site. I love this company.

:allears: that's amazing.

Is it just me or is their site down now? Isdownforeveryone.com confirms! Too much traffic, or did they pull the plug? :haw:
Nm, guess it was just a hiccup, they're back now. Although its running really slow.

That 00000 games counter is definitely live on the site and very real. :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
This article came out talking about OUYA's lovely marketing choices.

...I found out about it because OUYA killer app Towerfall creator Matt Thorson tweeted it and said "have to agree, sadly".

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.

Is that an Ouya exclusive?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Zaphod42 posted:

:allears: that's amazing.

Is it just me or is their site down now? Isdownforeveryone.com confirms! Too much traffic, or did they pull the plug? :haw:
Nm, guess it was just a hiccup, they're back now. Although its running really slow.

That 00000 games counter is definitely live on the site and very real. :aaa:

Can we have pants banned on failing the :toxx: by using this handy OFFICIAL count? :allears:

(Just kidding pants)

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Jefferoo posted:

I knew there was a reason to keep following this thread. And that commercial was it.

Kotaku comment posted:

Animations like that are why I love Japanese Anime. No matter if you like the actual drawing style or not, you can always be sure that they're never disgusting.

This was a rather disgusting animation, and then he started to throw up.

Hell, I'm sure that if done right a anime guy could rip his spine out and it still would be cute!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Next, OUYA commissions a cutesy personification of the ORA ORA ORA.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CousinKevin posted:

Is that an Ouya exclusive?

Flying Cat, the sequel to Flying Car. Coming to Ouya Summer 2014

the chaos engine posted:

This article came out talking about OUYA's lovely marketing choices.

...I found out about it because OUYA killer app Towerfall creator Matt Thorson tweeted it and said "have to agree, sadly".

Even that article has bits of "I'm claiming this because I desperately want it to be true and am journalistically bankrupt" garbage like this:

that article posted:

Affordable so-called "microconsoles" like Ouya are part of the necessary (and exciting!) disruption of the traditional business.

There is nothing necessary or exciting about this wave of garbage that runs off Android and calls themselves "consoles."

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 22, 2013

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

raditts posted:

Even that article has bits of "I'm claiming this because I desperately want it to be true and am journalistically bankrupt" garbage like this:

I played a game where I took a drink every time he used the phrase 'value proposition' and wound up re-enacting the ad.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Policenaut posted:

So it turns out that commercial was Ouya "experimenting" and released for the purposes of getting feedback for the "official video."

OUYA never inhaled.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It was one of those worst things I've ever seen. I wonder what kind of salary I could weasel out of them if I made up some quick photoshop mocks and told them they needed to hire me as their CMO.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

raditts posted:

There is nothing necessary or exciting about this wave of garbage that runs off Android and calls themselves "consoles."

I don't really care if she sees value in micro consoles or whatever, I just find it really funny that the creator of pretty much the ONLY successful / well-received OUYA game is now publicly saying negative things about OUYA.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Diet Lime posted:

Oh jesus the entire thing was worth it just for this ad.

Edit: Metal of Duty should be a real game.

Never mind the fact that they're portraying their own (potential) audience as fat dudes who sit around in their underwear and toss their empty cans on the floor. I wear pants, thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EUL6251hHg

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

The Dave posted:

It was one of those worst things I've ever seen. I wonder what kind of salary I could weasel out of them if I made up some quick photoshop mocks and told them they needed to hire me as their CMO.

You know they paid in bitcoins or downloadable codes for Towerfall or some poo poo.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

raditts posted:

Unconsoles, you loving pleb. You are so last millenium.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

OatmealRaisin posted:

You know they paid in bitcoins or downloadable codes for Towerfall or some poo poo.

"Your store credit is in the mail, really"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

TopherCStone posted:

"Your store credit is in the mail, really"

I would laugh my rear end off wholeheartedly if Ouya pulled a bait and switch with the Free The Games Fund and said "nonono, you see the fund matching was to be paid out in Ouya Store Credit! Imagine all the games you can buy with that money WOW!" :downs:

well played Ouya well played

DigitalAdhesive
May 6, 2011

"Hey kid, wanna make a dollar?"

raditts posted:

Even that article has bits of "I'm claiming this because I desperately want it to be true and am journalistically bankrupt" garbage. . .

Yeah, Leigh Alexander isn't exactly the paragon of responsible journalism.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

DigitalAdhesive posted:

Yeah, Leigh Alexander isn't exactly the paragon of responsible journalism.

Is Gameasutra not a good source of game journalism? I don't actually read a lot of gaming/tech stuff.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I feel bad for this person. https://twitter.com/S0phieH

quote:

so @leighalexander nailed it in that article; OUYA's own worst enemy right now is it's big, obnoxious mouth. like, look at their twitter feed, as I was saying that they made a pestering tweet about meat boy not on the console? frankly, @playouya is pissing me the gently caress off right now. focusing so much on what everyone else is or isn't doing, not on what it can do. and "experimenting" with vulgar advertising? that's not experimenting, that's making a giant cock-up and trying to pretend it wasn't

like if you boot up an OUYA, you get a TOTALLY different experience than the impression they are giving, it's much much better I promise you

like it or not I'm somewhat tied to the 'brand' now, my game is big and featured and I have my own playlist right at the top of the store

had I known that *this* was their 'media strategy' or whatever, I'd have rather not been associated. I don't want to support this kind of marketing push, since it's doing just that; pushing away the people who would love ouya most.

just take my word for it; the hardware and the games are brilliant and worth $100/£100. you decide if it's also worth supporting the 'brand'

Also that Leigh Alexsander article is the worst loving garbage.

quote:

Indie games, man! We gotta take down the evil corporations... by giving money to a whole other corporation! Yeah!

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

PrinceRandom posted:

Is Gameasutra not a good source of game journalism? I don't actually read a lot of gaming/tech stuff.

There is no such thing as good game journalism.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

DoctorTristan posted:

There's plenty of good journalism about games. They just don't come from people who call themselves game journalists.

DigitalAdhesive
May 6, 2011

"Hey kid, wanna make a dollar?"

PrinceRandom posted:

I don't know about Gamasutra as a whole - but I do know Leigh Alexander has a history of bad journalism. A few years working for Kotaku didn't help.

DoctorTristan posted:

Giant Bomb is consistently good.

randombattle posted:

There's plenty of good journalism about games. They just don't come from people who call themselves game journalists.

^ This.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Pages back:

theflyingorc posted:

edit: does anyone have a picture of my old avatar?
This one?

We're reading people who are sitting in the middle of a golden age of gaming where more games come out than you can possibly play who talk about how much games suck, and think that a service for downloading little indie titles is the future.

If I wasn't confident it would be a probation magnet, I'd recommend your next avatar have something to do with the commercial.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

I always felt vaguely slighted by this since it's what PC gamers got instead of an actual demo that consoles did, and Bulletstorm, while thoroughly enjoyable, still fell into a lot of the pitfalls modern FPS dp (Didn't it even have a bloody screen? I know it had regenerating health).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I always felt vaguely slighted by this since it's what PC gamers got instead of an actual demo that consoles did, and Bulletstorm, while thoroughly enjoyable, still fell into a lot of the pitfalls modern FPS dp (Didn't it even have a bloody screen? I know it had regenerating health).

It had bloody screen yes, and you couldn't take many hits before dying either.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It had the most amazingly ridiculous set pieces and dialogue though. I'll always be sad there's no sequel.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SynthOrange posted:

It had the most amazingly ridiculous set pieces and dialogue though. I'll always be sad there's no sequel.

It was a very flawed game but it was actually fun, did original things, and was pretty. That's more than you can say about most games these days. :smith: Too bad that it didn't do well. I'm glad Epic's at least keeping them around.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zaphod42 posted:

It was a very flawed game but it was actually fun, did original things, and was pretty. That's more than you can say about most games these days. :smith:

I too lament when games are fun. Clearly what we need is a console that calls back to totally awesome 90's gaming.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Games were best* when i was a kid. Screw that 'nostalgia console' bullshit, ouya needs to start selling time machines, they can't possibly do worse than they already have.

*except bullestorm, that game loving ruled and gently caress everyone who ignored it and bought DNF instead.:argh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Games were best* when i was a kid. Screw that 'nostalgia console' bullshit, ouya needs to start selling time machines, they can't possibly do worse than they already have.

*except bullestorm, that game loving ruled and gently caress everyone who ignored it and bought DNF instead.:argh:
I was just about to say, OUYA 2.0 should just be a loving time machine. OUYA's best at selling impossible dreams anyways. :haw: Time to free yourself from BIG PHYSICS!

Its unfortunate Bulletstorm didn't do better, but I don't think people buying DNF instead was the reason. It didn't do too well either, right? :dukedog:

Luckily, Blood Dragon was :krad: as hell and sold surprisingly well. So hopefully we'll get some more colorful experimental games and less of the brown cover shooters.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
Ian Bogost's comment on the Ouya article is at least pretty pointed though:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Shine posted:

I too lament when games are fun. Clearly what we need is a console that calls back to totally awesome 90's gaming.

I don't know man. There are some good games out there but in a long time none of them have made me their bitch.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Morglon posted:

I don't know man. There are some good games out there but in a long time none of them have made me their bitch.

John Carmack should play Dark Souls.

E: Romero. Whatever.

Shine fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 23, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Morglon posted:

Dark Souls
Hotline Miami
DDR with only 1 leg

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Morglon posted:

Play DmC man, that game really loves talking about making people bitches.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Uh, so did that stupid free online FPS that was all about teabagging people and tired memes ever get released for the OUYA or did they give up on that idea?

I think it was called Offensive Combat?

fatedtemp
Oct 23, 2010

Shine posted:

And here comes Mark Cerny to sell it to you by saying Parappa the Rapper over and over.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Uh, so did that stupid free online FPS that was all about teabagging people and tired memes ever get released for the OUYA or did they give up on that idea?
I didn't know Duke Nukem Forever was getting an OUYA port.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Off topic I know, but why did health packs disappear? Even the game that started the "Halo Bar" had health packs. It encourages players to explore the level and really it seems like next to no one likes the regenerating health outside of select circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Because having limited health packs requires designers to put more thought into level design and players to put more thought into playing

Neither side wants that to happen

• Locked thread