Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

weavernaut posted:

I'm really impressed by his art, though. When he's not being racist.
I actually quite like his art.

Nice use of light and shadow, perspective (visual, not political obviously), his characters actually have... character. Pretty decent, some other strips look rather lazy in comparison (*cough*The Express*cough*).

Shame he's for the wall really.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

(Edited out the stupid :v:)

quote:

Mail:
"The Girl guide association want to drop the pledge “Love my God” from the oath."

That caption is a bit dodgy - God was dropped from the pledge back in June, the actual news is that some troops are defying the ban.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 23, 2013

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Kegluneq posted:

(Edited out the somewhat transphobic slur.)
Uhhh...

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kegluneq posted:

(Edited out the somewhat transphobic slur.)

...why.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

It came across as a bit 'wife is a man in drag = obviously a fake family'? :ohdear: Edit: Also to make :thejoke: a bit more obvious.

(I'll assume that your shared sentence was intentional though.)

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
What transphobic slur? The picture is a reference to the publicity shot the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge released last week holding their sprog and some dogs.

It's all part of an exceptionally well managed PR charm offensive to gloss over the fact that apparently some people are worth more than others due to an accident of birth.

e: The people in the cartoon are our Dear Elected Leaders Nick Clegg and David Cameron, long may they reign for a thousand years.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kegluneq posted:

It came across as a bit 'wife is a man in drag = obviously a fake family'? :ohdear: Edit: Also to make :thejoke: a bit more obvious.

(I'll assume that your shared sentence was intentional though.)

I meant, why is it your job to edit it.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Milotic posted:

What transphobic slur? The picture is a reference to the publicity shot the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge released last week holding their sprog and some dogs.

It's all part of an exceptionally well managed PR charm offensive to gloss over the fact that apparently some people are worth more than others due to an accident of birth.

e: The people in the cartoon are our Dear Elected Leaders Nick Clegg and David Cameron, long may they reign for a thousand years.
I did actually forget about that photo (I only caught up with this thread today). It certainly makes more sense as a parody of that.

SedanChair posted:

I meant, why is it your job to edit it.
Because I was going for 'coalition.jpg' not 'fracking.jpg'? Anyway it's pretty clear I'm the real bigot here so :shrug:

v--Duly noted. Edited my post but thanks to everyone who quoted it in full :eng99:

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 23, 2013

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
There is no slur there, don't be absurd. It's good that y'all are earnest to stamp out transphobia, but c'mon. Also: We don't need you to edit out nasty words like "normal" in a thread designed for critiquing political cartoons, good or bad. I am trans, also. We don't need you to do that. Thanks.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Milotic posted:

Man, that is a really amateur photograph. Are they trying to gain some common people credibility by putting out phone camera snapshots now?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I think it's intended to be candid and humanizing. (It's not working, a horse is a horse)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I like the dog, he looks like good people. Can we have a dog for king instead? King Charles Spaniel. Now that would bring in some loving tourist money

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

baka kaba posted:

Man, that is a really amateur photograph. Are they trying to gain some common people credibility by putting out phone camera snapshots now?

It was taken by Charles.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

cloudchamber posted:

It was taken by Charles.

Close. "Michael Middleton, the duchess's father, took the pictures in the family's garden"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

quote:

Renowned photographer Terry O'Neill said he thought the pictures were "absolutely charming".

"It reminded me when I first started photography for myself - I just went for the light, and it was really interesting lighting. As a matter of fact when I heard about these pictures, I thought 'Who have they got to do these pictures' - and the thought crossed my mind they might have asked the Queen because she's quite a good photographer - I thought that would be one up to the paparazzi."

The cultural and education manager of Magnum Photos, Fiona Rogers, told Radio 4's Today programme the photograph of the couple and Prince George with the family's dogs was "technically not the most accomplished photograph".

"It's a photograph that any one of us could have in our family albums," she said.

'Interesting lighting'

There's a lot of diplomatic talk going down here, and no mistake. Still, the whole royal image is controlled and managed to gently caress, so the whole PR machine had to look at these, be fully aware they're a bit crap and dark, and realise they could easily recreate them professionally the usual way, fully staged and properly lit. But they didn't, they made an explicit, calculated decision to issue the first long awaited official pictures using some amateur snaps 'taken by dad'. Don't know about you but I'm convinced!

e- now this is a good snapshot

Surreal and unsettling

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 23, 2013

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Hahaha Charles. "Uhh, a tiny...thing!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

baka kaba posted:

'Interesting lighting'

There's a lot of diplomatic talk going down here, and no mistake. Still, the whole royal image is controlled and managed to gently caress.

And that's where royal babies come from, kids!

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

baka kaba posted:

That's exactly what it is...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/20/royal-baby-pictures-william-kate-george?CMP=twt_gu

quote:

Say cheese! The smiles of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge say it all in their first official photographs with Prince George.

Those grins say, for a start, that we are looking at an amateur photograph. No professional asks people to beam for their portraits in the toothy way the royal parents do as they pose on a lawn with their baby and a handsome dog. The photographer is the happy mum's father, Michael Middleton. Picture editors and photographers have praised his work, as the unstoppable flood of sycophancy unleashed by the royal birth continues to sweep away sanity and proportion.

These are plainly amateur pictures: the Raphaelesque triangular composition (completed by the dog) is as innocent and old-fashioned as any moderately skilled enthusiast with a decent camera might manage under similar circumstances. This unmistakable ordinariness gives the photo its democratic charm. Here is the royal lineage of Britain, with a claim to the throne enshrined by centuries of pomp and circumstance, pictured like a middle class English family in the garden on a summer day. The happiness of the parents is so spontaneous and normal. The sentimentality we naturally share about babies is being exploited by the British monarchy to an embarrassing degree. But the trouble with the new royalism is that it is far more dishonest than the old royalism. This picture, with its amateur touches, gives that away.

I can't stop looking at those teeth. How they shine. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge may pose as totally average people, they may even think they are totally average people, but if they don't care about image, why the Hollywood teeth? In this picture everything is manicured, including the vast empty lawn. It's not an image of ordinariness but of the new elite of David Cameron's Britain who dress, relax and smile with an unostentatious confidence that's actually born of huge financial security.

And for all its attempts to look natural, it is posed: for the royal family is not middle class. The royal couple playing at "normal" parenthood is no more authentic than Marie Antoinette dressed as a shepherdess. The interesting question is why is such obvious fiction taken seriously by so many? Most of us take our own family photographs because that's the only way they will get taken. The royals have access to any star photographer going, so it is mere vanity to choose granddad to do it instead. It goes with all the other vanities of this summer's humble royal fantasy. Let's pretend we don't have an army of nannies standing by. Let's pretend the royal baby has the same life chances as every other child born in Britain. Why? Surely because this image of a lovably "ordinary" royal family is reassuring in insecure times.

The image says they are like us, but we know their happiness rests on a bedrock of massive wealth and tradition. They have nothing to worry about. So maybe if we identify with them, we have nothing to worry about either. It is anxiety that gives birth to conservatism. This is a portrait of our frightened age.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

tooterfish posted:

I actually quite like his art.

Nice use of light and shadow, perspective (visual, not political obviously), his characters actually have... character. Pretty decent, some other strips look rather lazy in comparison (*cough*The Express*cough*).

Shame he's for the wall really.

Maybe he can be re-educated?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Haha, Raphaelesque triangular composition, spontaneity and smiles that only an amateur could achieve? It's pretty easy to spot that it's an amateur picture, because only the dog is in focus and the background is completely blown out. Unless that's some sort of subtle anti-royalist statement.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

quote:

I can't stop looking at those teeth. How they shine. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge may pose as totally average people, they may even think they are totally average people, but if they don't care about image, why the Hollywood teeth?

Brushing your teeth is Counter-Revolutionary. Floss is unforgivably bourgeois. Only a bleeding jaw of cavitated tombstones will be Correct in the glorious People's Republic. :rolleyes:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Gary Barker on the Syrian conflict - Britain has said it believes forces loyal to Syrian president Bashar al-Assad were responsible for a chemical weapons attacks in the suburbs of Damascus"

Telegraph??? (Was poking around the twitters, found this. Not up on the official site yet, though.)

Cameron on holiday. Related.

Independent:

Syria crisis: US weighs military options. After Gilbert Stuart.

Stephen Collins:

EDIT: Heh, Bob did a video based on his videogame cartoon of 9th August.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwPfCuzUfYc

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 24, 2013

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Stephen Collins :swoon:, also I lol'd at that video.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

kapparomeo posted:

Brushing your teeth is Counter-Revolutionary. Floss is unforgivably bourgeois. Only a bleeding jaw of cavitated tombstones will be Correct in the glorious People's Republic. :rolleyes:

Hollywood teeth have nothing to do with healthy teeth, or Americans wouldn't keep pestering us about having "bad teeth" (i.e.: not perfectly white) despite the fact we actually have better dentistry than them these days.

Well, they probably would because it's funny and only a bore gets butthurt about it, but you know what I mean.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Oh yeah, the thread.

Observer:

"Syria: has Assad crossed the red line? - Chris Riddell on the alleged gas attacks in Damascus"

Sunday Telegraph:

Ed Miliband hits back at Labour critics

Independent on Sunday:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

A Riddell with no labels! Good example of why he doesn't even need them, his Assad is wearing a gas mask and is still totally recognisable.

Is it me or is the Telegraph pretty one-note these days? I'm used to the travesty that is BOB with his 'haha Ed Miliband that is the joke' series, now Adams is getting in on it

Fluo
May 25, 2007

baka kaba posted:

A Riddell with no labels! Good example of why he doesn't even need them, his Assad is wearing a gas mask and is still totally recognisable.

Is it me or is the Telegraph pretty one-note these days? I'm used to the travesty that is BOB with his 'haha Ed Miliband that is the joke' series, now Adams is getting in on it

Underwater cartoons will never top:

:clegg:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Why did they throw you into the sea, Papa?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the August bank holiday – Photographs showed sunburnt, bare-chested PM struggling to put on his bathing trunks"

Telegraph:

"Christian Adams ‏@Adamstoon1

Here's tomorrow's @Telegraph #cartoon yet again having a go at hapless Ed Miliband. Oh, and he's a badger."

Independent: (possibly yesterday's, and I got the two mixed up?)

baka kaba posted:

Why did they throw you into the sea, Papa?

In case you didn't see it, I was spoofing this photo of the Spanish police:RT @ostercywriter: @Adamstoon1 @Telegraph pic.twitter.com/KD8PekIisZ

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I was talking about the Clegg one ("why are the students angry at you, Papa?") but I also did miss that! That's a pretty good setup

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its a good joke but it doesn't explain why he reversed the components (man, flag, rock, etc.) Bell would never do that!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the debate over intervention in Syria - World leaders divided over response to chemical attack in Damascus suburb"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Mail:
"A CULL OF BADGERS HAS STARTED TO TRY TO STOP THE SPREAD OF BOVINE TUBERCULOSIS."

quote:

“A fine bank holiday that was!....’Let’s go out for a nice peaceful picnic.’ you said….”

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the debate over intervention in Syria - World leaders divided over response to chemical attack in Damascus suburb"

Is Obama pulling the intervention side down or is he pushing it up?

Or is that :thejoke:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I think he's just keeping it level either way, so he can continue to ponder endlessly

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the badger cull and HS2 rows - Opposition mounts to cull of badgers and development of high-speed rail network"

Telegraph:

Syria: Cameron says use of chemical weapons 'cannot stand'

Independent:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

I think Syria is worlds apart from Iraq but I still don't know if we should stay out or go in. Generally I'm self aware its complex and just don't know. :smith:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Barack Obama and Syria – Britain and the US are under pressure to delay military intervention in Syria." Also the 50th anniversary of MLK's I Have A Dream speech.

Telegraph:

Independent:

Yesterday's Mail:
"The triumphant England cricket team have been accused of urinating on the wicket when celebrating their win."

quote:

“Sorry about that. He’s a retired England cricketer y’know.”

Mail:
"The cabinet has been recalled from holiday to debate the situation in Syria."

quote:

“Drop what you’re doing, Come immediately…….If this is about badgers or pandas I’ll be furious!”

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

'I have a dreamnightmare' cartoons are so goddamned lazy. The Telegraph one is pretty good though.

Cloud Potato posted:

Yesterday's Mail:
"The triumphant England cricket team have been accused of urinating on the wicket when celebrating their win."

drat, that's pretty rank.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its not every day that the Mail comes out with the best comic but when they do...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What's up with the MLK Obama cartoons about Syria? Did something happen regarding MLK or is this just an eerie coincidence?

• Locked thread