Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So uh, I finally formed the Empire of Britannia and personally hold claim on all of the kingdoms of the British Isles. I can mobilize over 100k troops so my dynasty is all powerful. However, it turns out that when I formed Britannia one of my new vassals had control of two duchies. Normally that's no big deal right? Well, due to circumstances that I can't even begin to wrap my head around, one of those duchies was the duchy of Thrace. Which means Constantinople is now part of the British Empire. Which is bordered by an unbroken Mongol blob. So, uh, what should I do here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

It's a shame she's got a younger brother who's also a Genius.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So uh, I finally formed the Empire of Britannia and personally hold claim on all of the kingdoms of the British Isles. I can mobilize over 100k troops so my dynasty is all powerful. However, it turns out that when I formed Britannia one of my new vassals had control of two duchies. Normally that's no big deal right? Well, due to circumstances that I can't even begin to wrap my head around, one of those duchies was the duchy of Thrace. Which means Constantinople is now part of the British Empire. Which is bordered by an unbroken Mongol blob. So, uh, what should I do here?

How many troops can the Mongols mobilize? If you have them outnumbered 2 to 1 or are good at navalbombing you could go to (holy) war. Make the Kingdom of Greece, put a relative on it and grant it independance. Or hold it for yourself and go nuts.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
What type of retinues are the ones that kick the most rear end?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You will be stabbed, continuously. If everyone is a part of the HRE/Byzantine Empire it will be riven by strife the entire time.

It's great.

Or you get your liege peaceing out of a war against half the world and you losing a single country and rage quitting, or all the hre superdukes and the emperor dieing in a single battle against hungary, or even your caliph betraying you and leaving your doom stack to die so he can gain the piety form winning the battle, all these things have happened in our multi-player games.

DontMockMySmock posted:

If it contains heavy cav heavy foot, or better yet horse archers or pikemen, then build as many as you can.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 23, 2013

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Either expand into Mongol Greece/Anatolia at your leisure or, if you don't want anything to do with the region, grant the Duke independence and let him get swallowed. If you do that just make sure they're not also duke of one of your de jure duchies.

Alternatively, hold it until the Mongols try to claim it and surrender without a fight.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

How many troops can the Mongols mobilize? If you have them outnumbered 2 to 1 or are good at navalbombing you could go to (holy) war. Make the Kingdom of Greece, put a relative on it and grant it independance. Or hold it for yourself and go nuts.

I'm pretty sure the Mongols can mobilize at least 250k troops. There was a Crusade called against them a few years ago and I saw a stack of 90k troops among other stacks. They control everything from the Suez Canal (to be) up to Finland. Constantinople is literally the the limit of their advance so far.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

DontMockMySmock posted:

Generally your culture specific retinue, particularly Greek cataphracts.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

Greek Cataphract retinues are regarded as the best or Frankish/German Cavalry. Usually whatever your cultural retinue is is the best one overall, although there are exceptions. Skirmish retinues are good for sieging, Cavalry and Shock retinues are ok for battles.
If a retinue has heavy cav, horse archers, or heavy infantry its pretty good, Archers and horse archers are the best for assaults during sieges.

Edit:should be noted that cultural retinues receive a bonus to their values based on whatever your highest level cultural building would be. I.E Scandinavian Housecarls start with 60% extra attack even if you dont have housecarl training grounds built, although I dont believe this bonus stacks with the cultural building.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 23, 2013

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Goddamn, the GOT mod allows you to visit courtiers. I have like a million bastards, seems a bit overpowered.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Tom Smykowski posted:

Goddamn, the GOT mod allows you to visit courtiers. I have like a million bastards, seems a bit overpowered.
You can 'visit' any character that is in the same province as you, feel free to make your character the leader of a small army and then just move around and visit the Queen or whoever you like.

I don't think it's that overpowered, you'll get denied a lot unless you have good traits.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
loving hell, I didn't realise that changing culture outright destroyed your culturally specific military buildings. Yeah, I totally spent all that time and money building up my Norse housecarl barracks or whatever they are only to lose everything when I didn't realise my heir had converted to Scottish. You'd think there'd be an alert or warning or something about this because as it stands the only way to discover it seems to be to have it happen to you. (I haven't checked, but does anyone know if these reappear as they were if you regain a character of the same culture? Like, I'm Norse and have two sons, my heir converts to Scottish and inherits, wiping out the Housecarl grounds. If he were to die before having a son, would my second son, who remains Norse, be back to level one for them?)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ThomasPaine posted:

loving hell, I didn't realise that changing culture outright destroyed your culturally specific military buildings. Yeah, I totally spent all that time and money building up my Norse housecarl barracks or whatever they are only to lose everything when I didn't realise my heir had converted to Scottish. You'd think there'd be an alert or warning or something about this because as it stands the only way to discover it seems to be to have it happen to you. (I haven't checked, but does anyone know if these reappear as they were if you regain a character of the same culture? Like, I'm Norse and have two sons, my heir converts to Scottish and inherits, wiping out the Housecarl grounds. If he were to die before having a son, would my second son, who remains Norse, be back to level one for them?)
The way the vanilla game handles cultural-specific buildings is pretty insane. It seems far more appropriate to have the province culture type determine what buildings are available, and then have them only actually buildable if the ruler culture matches (or rather, if the ruler culture would also allow that building). That way, they don't all instantly vanish if someone from a different culture is in charge of things for ten minutes.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
I think the horse archer/light cav retinue is the best one because it is majority horse archers and is only 1000 retinue cap.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Elective makes it basically impossible to marry-stab your way into inheriting a kingdom, right? I'm looking at a King of Scotland with a son and a daughter, but neither of them are the loving heir, so even if I stabbed the son it wouldn't fix a goddamn thing.

Is there something I don't know or did I just hit that horrible "welp, literally nothing to do but hope I can fabricate some claims" stage? I was really hoping to create Britannia by fabricating Ireland, marry-stabbing Scotland, and invading England, and now I'm stuck at 2 out of 3 :(

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Elective makes it basically impossible to marry-stab your way into inheriting a kingdom, right? I'm looking at a King of Scotland with a son and a daughter, but neither of them are the loving heir, so even if I stabbed the son it wouldn't fix a goddamn thing.

Is there something I don't know or did I just hit that horrible "welp, literally nothing to do but hope I can fabricate some claims" stage? I was really hoping to create Britannia by fabricating Ireland, marry-stabbing Scotland, and invading England, and now I'm stuck at 2 out of 3 :(

If you marry the children your offspring will get claims on the kingdom that you can then press. Inheriting an elective Kingdom is certainly possible just a bit more convoluted than a primogenature or Gavelkind one. The heir to the kingdom may change over time especially if the current king just became king as in the long run it tends to favor the incumbent family unless they are a different culture/religion.

Alternatively you could just form the Kingdom of Ireland and then try to inherit duchies out of the Kingdom of Scotland, combine with fabricating and pressing vassal claims you should be able to usurp the title.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

SpRahl posted:

If you marry the children your offspring will get claims on the kingdom that you can then press.
Are you sure? I checked the children and they don't have claims.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Also, if you can become an elector in the kingdom by taking a duchy, you can vote for youself. If you're likeable enough people will occasionally vote for you and you'll have a shot at being heir. That's when the stabbing happens.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Are you sure? I checked the children and they don't have claims.

People need to start dieing before they get the claim, note how your children dont have claims on your titles while you are alive.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

HenessyHero posted:

Also, if you can become an elector in the kingdom by taking a duchy, you can vote for youself. If you're likeable enough people will occasionally vote for you and you'll have a shot at being heir. That's when the stabbing happens.
That... is actually doable. And entertaining!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

dogstile posted:

How does the HRE get so huge anyway? In my game it rules everything from just below Denmark, all the way to Brittany, down to the Italian boot and has made progress into the Byzantine empire. Are they seriously meant to grow that fast?
They have the biggest realm with the most levies so they always win wars. And unlike other Paradox games in vanilla CK2 there's no mechanic that adds instability or slows the growth of realms as they get bigger - at least once you're past the point where you're empire-sized and most of your realm isn't a single culture. (There used to be a mechanism for this, since revolt risk increased with distance from the liege's capital until factions replaced the revolt risk system. On the whole the faction system was probably a net negative for the game. Something like CK2+'s short-lived civil war system would have been much better.)

In theory having more vassals makes things more unstable but in practice the proportions of loyal and rebellious vassals stay about the same, so civil wars are rarely successful. And most dangerous civil wars are for claimants to the throne, so regardless of outcome the realm stays together when they end.

I wish they'd tweak the AI to tend more towards independence factions than claimant factions, unless the claimant is already a prominent title-holder they have a high opinion of.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 23, 2013

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How does multi work in this game? Specifically speed-wise. Does everyone play at the slowest speed, FOREVER?

Lars Krimi
Jul 1, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

That... is actually doable. And entertaining!

Alternatively, if you successfully press a claim on a kingdom with elective succession it reverts to gavelkind. As Ireland, I just took over all of Denmark (including 5 provinces in Sweden and 5 in Germany) by inviting the aging brother of the Danish king to my court, as he had a strong claim to the danish throne. I then married his daughter, who was his heir, and when she gave birth to a son, I pressed my father in laws claim on the Danish throne. With him on the throne, succession reverted to gavelkind. At this point he was 72 and infirm, and he very quickly died, making my wife the queen of Denmark and my infant son the heir to the kingdom. All of the dukes immediately rebelled to depose her, but I offered to join the war and kept her on the throne. At this point I could have selected our son as my heir (as I was using elective myself) and waited a few decades for my son to inherit both kingdoms, but instead I plotted to assassinate both my wife and child and immediately inherited Denmark myself. After installing new Irish dukes, I switched denmark back to elective once more so both Ireland and Denmark could go to the same heir.

Lars Krimi fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 23, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
How smart is the Auto Balance feature? I've got 4 Knight retinues and 3 Defensive ones and it wants be to put the knights in the center. That seems counter intuitive.

Ha! Managed to kill the Emperor of MegaCarpathia on a crusade while he was already beat and at -100% warscore. Talk about embarrassing. :smug:

And the aftermath:

(92 holdings over the limit :shepicide:)

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 23, 2013

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

How smart is the Auto Balance feature? I've got 4 Knight retinues and 3 Defensive ones and it wants be to put the knights in the center. That seems counter intuitive.

Don't mix retinue types like that, unless you have lot of knights in one flank and just a bit of defensive retinues in others - this arrangement will let knights smash flanks one by one and not suffer increased damage from being flanked.
If you just autobalance keep retinues of same type, any leaders and tactics will usually boost just one troop type at expense of other.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Fat Samurai posted:

How does multi work in this game? Specifically speed-wise. Does everyone play at the slowest speed, FOREVER?

The speed is determined by the host. While the host has the ability to tick it all the way up to 5, it is hardly stable. Best I have been able to accomplish with 10 or so players is 3 ticks.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

kingturnip posted:

It's a shame she's got a younger brother who's also a Genius.

Jesus, potential what, 29 dip? "Yes, give me all your land" "ok"

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

:smug:

(I'm hella lucky, she was tutored by the AI)

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 23, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
brb naming all my daughters after the Walküre

Lars Krimi
Jul 1, 2003
I find that it is quite easy to consistently get heirs with great stats if you use elective succession. You can marry your children and siblings for alliances and future claims, but keep a bunch of nephews and nieces etc. at court and marry them to geniuses with nice stats. When a male genius of your dynasty is born, tutor them yourself (or have someone else do it if your ruler sucks), and before long you should have a bunch of grey eminence geniuses with traits you selected sitting around ready to be nominated as heir.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Argh, I forgot, if you're looking for the CK2+ game, we're hanging out on Mumble at the IP and password listed in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521554

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

WilliamAnderson posted:

Argh, I forgot, if you're looking for the CK2+ game, we're hanging out on Mumble at the IP and password listed in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521554

Can't make it unfortunately, hope you get some folks.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Wait is it strange for the HRE to disappear in a 1066 start game? Because it evaporated for me like a hundred years ago and I just got to 1300.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wait is it strange for the HRE to disappear in a 1066 start game? Because it evaporated for me like a hundred years ago and I just got to 1300.

It happens. It's not common, especially now that empires are more stable, and the HRE probably still existed, but just as a 1-2 county realm. I've seen easily 2/3 of a realm join up for an independence revolt against a particularly unpopular emperor before.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Just inherited a new empire and some of my relatives have a -50 Called into War negative against me.

So, before I inherited he called them into one of his holy wars (he only waged two as far as I know)...why does that cause such a huge penalty. I'm missing something.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Just inherited a new empire and some of my relatives have a -50 Called into War negative against me.

So, before I inherited he called them into one of his holy wars (he only waged two as far as I know)...why does that cause such a huge penalty. I'm missing something.

You don't get annoyed when the AI calls you into a war?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

SeaTard posted:

You don't get annoyed when the AI calls you into a war?

Just because you are called into war doesn't mean you actually need to help.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
Here's a fun one:

I reformed the Roman Empire, so I gained the Imperial Conquest CB.

One of the Karlings is left with a single duchy in the Kingdom of Bavaria, which I conquer. This vassalizes him.

I then realize that being a Karling, he has a ton of crisscrossing claims. A few stabbings later, he is now king of Bavaria, Lotharingia, and Burgundy.

(Then since all of those are gavelkind, I have him stabbed in order to break up his powerbase.)

Also, the auto-invite function is hilarious in a huge empire like that where if you are well-liked and have non-terrible intrigue, you can suddenly invite dozens of people at once and end up with like 500% plot power. The silliest is when I was trying to stab a widow in order to take her barony back so I could convert a bishopric to a normal county. I must've invited half the nobles in all of Europe and got a 2000% plot power.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Let's say I wanted to play a CK2 game with an eye towards forming the Dutch Republic in an EU4 conversion of it. What's a good start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
As the King of England and then Emperor of Brittania, it seems like the AI really seems to have it out for me. For a couple of generations now, every single time my relationship with the Pope drops (usually because either my character or the Pope died and passed the title to someone else), whoever the current King of France is excommunicates me almost immediately, which then causes the Holy Roman Empire to declare war on me and roll in the gigantic doomstacks while I madly scramble to hold them off long enough to build up the cash and piety necessary to get the excommunication lifted, ending the war just before my vassals to revolt and send me running all over my realm putting out fires. It's grown incredibly predictable, to the point where I start preparing for it as soon as I see that the Pope died, but I now hold so much territory spread all over the map that it's getting more and more difficult to handle the double-whammy of HRE invasion and massive vassal revolt, especially since I won a crusade and now I have Jerusalem to deal with.

Is there any way to stop France from constantly excommunicating me at every opportunity, other than appointing an antipope or taking France for myself? And if not, how do antipopes work? Are there any big downsides for my characters, do I open myself up to holy wars or something like that, and what happens when the antipope dies? Do I have to appoint another one? I'm nervous about messing around with antipopes, but I almost lost the last excommunication war and it's going to be worse next time because I can't effectively defend all my holdings at once anymore.

Also, looking at screenshots of the map, I just realized I flat-out forgot to finish conquering Scotland after I created Brittania. Whoops!

• Locked thread