Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Well, I'm starting to think it is time to upgrade from my old Nikon D80 that I've had for a little over 6 years now. Been trying to decide between the D7000 and the D7100. Is the 7100 really leaps and bounds better than it's predecessor? And for someone who wants to make photography a career eventually, but for now just shoots freelance, is the 7000 or 7100 worth getting or should I save up a lot more and invest in a D600 or 800?

Also, where can I find a handy list of online shops to avoid? I always see sites like "Primotronix.com" selling camera bodies for 25%+ less than Amazon and other reputable stores, and can't help but think it's stuff that fell off a truck or a scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Dr. Lenin posted:

Well, I'm starting to think it is time to upgrade from my old Nikon D80 that I've had for a little over 6 years now. Been trying to decide between the D7000 and the D7100. Is the 7100 really leaps and bounds better than it's predecessor? And for someone who wants to make photography a career eventually, but for now just shoots freelance, is the 7000 or 7100 worth getting or should I save up a lot more and invest in a D600 or 800?

Also, where can I find a handy list of online shops to avoid? I always see sites like "Primotronix.com" selling camera bodies for 25%+ less than Amazon and other reputable stores, and can't help but think it's stuff that fell off a truck or a scam.

Here is your handy list of places to buy from:

B&H Photo
Adorama
Amazon direct (not third party seller)
Midwest Photo Exchange
Maybe Beach camera?

I don't buy new gear from anyone else unless it something odd like Chinese triggers or 3rd shift knock offs.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also maybe try to avoid B&H because it's run by fundamentalists.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

B&H is great. Low prices, great selection, and top notch customer service. I (well my dad) used to order from them back in pre-internet catalog days. They're definitely one of best internet dealers I've dealt with photography or otherwise.

I don't have anything to say to evil_bunnY's comment other than don't know and probably don't care.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Dr. Lenin posted:

Buy used from KEH.com. Unless you have money to burn or demands/contracts/etc. that require new equipment, it's the best way to go. The only thing I've bought new in the last ten years was a lens that KEH didn't have and would likely never get.

outcast_p
Oct 1, 2004

Buydig is androma in NJ so if the NY tax is a problem (or vise versa) you can buy from there. They also have been having deals via eBay, and you still get the warranty.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Haggins posted:

B&H is great. Low prices, great selection, and top notch customer service. I (well my dad) used to order from them back in pre-internet catalog days. They're definitely one of best internet dealers I've dealt with photography or otherwise.

B&H openly discriminates on racial and religious lines. They prefer to just settle up the lawsuits every couple of years and keep on trucking.

Adorama is the friendlier of the two shops and doesn't randomly close on weekends and stuff. But KEH is the best place to buy used gear bar none. Not many other places throw in 6 months of warranty on all used gear.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 22, 2013

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Haggins posted:

Maybe Beach camera?

Beach Camera is trustworthy, and not based in NY which is handy for avoiding sales tax...

Abe's of Maine is another good one.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Paul MaudDib posted:

B&H openly discriminates on racial and religious lines. They prefer to just settle up the lawsuits every couple of years and keep on trucking.

Adorama is the friendlier of the two shops and doesn't randomly close on weekends and stuff. But KEH is the best place to buy used gear bar none. Not many other places throw in 6 months of warranty on all used gear.

Adorama does close for the Sabbath just like B&H, but yeah, they seem friendlier when I deal with them. KEH is so much better, if I can and they have it in stock, I'd prefer to buy new from the too.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Adorama is the friendlier of the two shops

I agree with this - and if you have a problem Helen is very easy to get in touch with.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Thanks guys. I don't know how I forgot about KEH - I bought a $1000 Nikon 80-200mm/f2.8 lens through them like 5 years ago for roughly $500, and even though they rated it as EX or BGN (Can't remember exactly, just know it was a low rating) the only thing wrong with it was that the lens hood had a small gouge in it. I'll check them out again!

Haggins posted:

Maybe Beach camera?

Beach Camera is actually where I bought my D80 from, they ship pretty fast and have pretty good prices from what I remember.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now if only KEH would give their site a usable search function.

(someone had to bring it up)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

xzzy posted:

:colbert: that's just one of KEH's lovable quirks.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

Thank you. I love KEH but gently caress if their site isn't the most 1994 styled annoying thing to use.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

xzzy posted:

if you're not averse to human interaction calling them works out great.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Verman posted:

Thank you. I love KEH but gently caress if their site isn't the most 1994 styled annoying thing to use.
If their site was actually usable they'd be way too popular.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Sometimes I just have to shake my head and wonder exactly what eldritch horror lies in that site's code.

One thing it frequently does to me is insert the wrong navigation anchors and titles for that page. Like, I'm loading the pages for about 4 different camera systems and all of them will have the same navigation anchors and will all show "Nikonos V" as the category I'm in. How in the gently caress does that happen? Like, are they storing your current page in a cookie or some kind of a server-side DB table, or what? :psyduck:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Paul MaudDib posted:

Sometimes I just have to shake my head and wonder exactly what eldritch horror lies in that site's code.

One thing it frequently does to me is insert the wrong navigation anchors and titles for that page. Like, I'm loading the pages for about 4 different camera systems and all of them will have the same navigation anchors and will all show "Nikonos V" as the category I'm in. How in the gently caress does that happen? Like, are they storing your current page in a cookie or some kind of a server-side DB table, or what? :psyduck:

I'm 95% sure it runs on an MS Access database.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Any Aussies on here purchased from KEH?

I'm looking at a Canon 70-200 F4IS thats nicely priced (considering how much praise their ratings get on here) and just wondering what it's like dealing with them from overseas? Communication good? Delivery times? Postage methods/costs?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

xcore posted:

I'm looking at a Canon 70-200 F4IS thats nicely priced (considering how much praise their ratings get on here) and just wondering what it's like dealing with them from overseas? Communication good? Delivery times? Postage methods/costs?

You can check their shipping when you checkout the item, it's usually US$59.95 to the Asian region, so Australia should be close in pricing. They use Fedex which takes usually a week or less, and their communication is superb.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

xcore posted:

I'm not overseas, but I ordered from Canada one time. It was a little disheartening paying $40 shipping for a $40 film body, but it was the only place I could find it. However, looking at lenses now, and it seems to be the same $40 flat rate shipping so just beware of customs/duties I guess?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

CarrotFlowers posted:

so just beware of customs/duties I guess?

Luckily the lense I'm looking at is about $800-$900 so it's just under our $1000 customs limit.

Thanks for the feedback guys. @alkanphel Yeah, it looks like postage is $60 via fedex.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

xcore posted:

Yup, a bunch of times. Communication is good (although for big orders they made me send through a licence/CC, not sure if that's still a thing) and shipping was quick - but expensive.

I usually get them to send it to my shipitto mailbox, then bundle it with anything else I have bought in the last month or two. Works out way cheaper.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

joelcamefalling posted:

I usually get them to send it to my shipitto mailbox

I am always tempted to use one of these services and they always looks so awesome on the service but then I start to add all the individual costs up and it the savings are negligle. The only way to save any decent money is buying hundreds of dollars of stuff on Amazon in seperate purchases every month.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

joelcamefalling posted:

Yup, a bunch of times. Communication is good (although for big orders they made me send through a licence/CC, not sure if that's still a thing) and shipping was quick - but expensive.

I usually get them to send it to my shipitto mailbox, then bundle it with anything else I have bought in the last month or two. Works out way cheaper.

They talk about filling the customs forms... You know if you can declare poo poo as a gift when using it for example? Paying over 90% in taxes on anything that costs more than 50 USD gets old fast :(

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
I've replaced my Canon 50 1.8 with a more appropriate normal prime lens for a crop sensor, but have been hanging onto it for portrait work. Was wondering though, after you guys talking about KEH checked it out, they have the Tamron 60mm f/2 macro for much cheaper than I'd expect. I've heard of it before but no details, is it a pretty decent macro lens, and how would it do for portraits? Given those uses, pretty worthy upgrade from the nifty fifty? I've also heard the effective aperture changes when focusing close, what does that mean?

I've played around with that 50 1.8 with macro tubes and had a lot of fun. How does a dedicated macro lens compare, and what can you do with one and extension tubes?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Friend of mine has the canon version of that Tamron and loves it. It and a 35 are the only lenses she uses anymore.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
So I ditched my kit lens and need something wide angle (covering 15-50ish) for an APS-C and I've got a budget of about $500, but wouldn't mind going a bit cheaper if I could.

My main lens right now is the new Sigma 30mm 1.4, and I've also got the Canon 55-250 IS to cover most of my zoom needs.

School me on what to get nerds. I've heard good things about Tamron but I feel weird buying a 6 year old lens and was hoping for some other opinions.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Wario In Real Life posted:

So I ditched my kit lens and need something wide angle (covering 15-50ish) for an APS-C and I've got a budget of about $500, but wouldn't mind going a bit cheaper if I could.

My main lens right now is the new Sigma 30mm 1.4, and I've also got the Canon 55-250 IS to cover most of my zoom needs.

School me on what to get nerds. I've heard good things about Tamron but I feel weird buying a 6 year old lens and was hoping for some other opinions.

The Tamron is a great lens and lenses don't really degrade over time like electronics. If you don't mind prime, Samyang makes a relatively cheap 14mm.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Wario In Real Life posted:

If it hasn't received major updates in 6 years and is still on the market, isn't that just an indication that it's good enough to not warrant replacement?

HolyDukeNukem posted:

If you don't mind prime, Samyang makes a relatively cheap 14mm.

Wouldn't it not really be the being prime that's the problem, but rather the manual focus? (I think also manual aperture, but not sure.)

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

nielsm posted:

If it hasn't received major updates in 6 years and is still on the market, isn't that just an indication that it's good enough to not warrant replacement?

Wouldn't it not really be the being prime that's the problem, but rather the manual focus? (I think also manual aperture, but not sure.)

Probably, more so the fact that it's also manual aperture for Canon cameras. It's a fantastic lens though and I think you can find them for like $300. I don't think anyone makes prime lenses at the price point mentioned. But there is the sigma 10-20 and the tamron 10-24. If you push the budget a little higher you can get the tokina 11-16.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

nielsm posted:

Not really, because when you set the Samyang to the hyperfocal distance everything from like 1 foot to infinity is in focus.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What are must haves for a decent off camera lighting setup, assuming I don't want to spend a shitload of money? I want to do some studio stuff and maybe some weird conceptual shots outside. I also need a decent tripod capable of supporting a 6D and my mammoth lens.

Also, I have this huge fear that my poo poo will get stolen if I got outside with it alone. I live outside of Seattle and I always want to go out at night and take some shots but I'm terrified that someone is going to beat the poo poo out of me and steal my stuff. Am I being silly?

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 24, 2013

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Elderbean posted:

Also, I have this huge fear that my poo poo will get stolen if I got outside with it alone. I live outside of Seattle and I always want to go out at night and take some shots but I'm terrified that someone is going to beat the poo poo out of me and steal my stuff. Am I being silly?

Yes.

Just don't go into a bad part of town. Stay in well lit areas. Don't advertise what you've got. Keep a cell phone handy. If you're really worried, get a bag that doesn't announce "there's expensive electronics in here". Statistically speaking, you have a very low chance of getting mugged. Your gear is more likely to be stolen from your car than it is off of you, so if you leave something in your car, put it in your trunk.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GunForumMeme posted:

Yes.

Just don't go into a bad part of town. Stay in well lit areas. Don't advertise what you've got. Keep a cell phone handy. If you're really worried, get a bag that doesn't announce "there's expensive electronics in here". Statistically speaking, you have a very low chance of getting mugged. Your gear is more likely to be stolen from your car than it is off of you, so if you leave something in your car, put it in your trunk.

There is a super easy solution here.

1. Go to craigslist.
2. Buy whatever used craptacular Point and Shoot (Yourself) you can. You can get a poo poo camera for 15-20$.
3. Shoot to your heart's content in a hurricane going through Detroid at 2AM during a hailstorm.

It ain't the camera that makes the photographs. It is you. I took some of the best photographs in my life with this: http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/olympus/d-395/olympus-d-395-review.html

And I was not afraid in the bad part of the country, in the bad part of town. I took it out in the rain, frost down to -30C, hail, fog so thick that you can barely see ahead, etc...

What is there to fear? Losing 20$ worth of camera? If it dies due to the abuse you just take the memory card out and buy another 20$ special.

And by the way. I still have the D395 and it still works.

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 25, 2013

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
You could also probably tack on camera insurance to something else you have.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

No Gravitas posted:

There is a super easy solution here.

1. Go to craigslist.
2. Buy whatever used craptacular Point and Shoot (Yourself) you can. You can get a poo poo camera for 15-20$.
3. Shoot to your heart's content in a hurricane going through Detroid at 2AM during a hailstorm.

It ain't the camera that makes the photographs. It is you. I took some of the best photographs in my life with this: http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/olympus/d-395/olympus-d-395-review.html

And I was not afraid in the bad part of the country, in the bad part of town. I took it out in the rain, frost down to -30C, hail, fog so think that you can barely see ahead, etc...

What is there to fear? Losing 20$ worth of camera? If it dies due to the abuse you just take the memory card out and buy another 20$ special.

And by the way. I still have the D395 and it still works.

This is a hilariously clever way to take risks that even some of the best photographers in the world wouldn't.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

rcman50166 posted:

This is a hilariously clever way to take risks that even some of the best photographers in the world wouldn't.

On the gripping hand there is this: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/funkeycam.shtml

I own this thing and I love it.

No screen, a display with count of pictures remaining is all you get. Yes, like film. You have to get home to see your shots. Pray to Ansel Adams that the battery does not give way before that. If it does, then bye bye go the pictures. The "viewfinder" is crap, but at least you get one. I think it is of the pentaplastic kind. Fixed aperture. Fixed focal length. The pictures are tiny, with almost no dynamic range. Will outright refuse to shoot in the dark if it does not think it can get enough light. This sometimes means full daylight, if the camera is having a bad day. Very strong light sources come out black due to some overflow in the on-camera software.

Oh, and the "shutter". *BEEP* *BEEP*.

So kill the piezo speaker at first opportunity. You now have yourself a nice, perfectly silent "holdout" camera. You can literaly operate it with two fingers. People won't even know you have one. It looks like nothing. Gunfire is unlikely to hit it in case things go south. No one sane would want to steal it. You could probably weather-seal it yourself with epoxy around the seams. No moving parts, so as long as the battery holds the frost is not a worry either. Paint it matte black for that classical look and enjoy your 20 shots. That's all you get per session.

The kicker? It supports RAW mode. Yes, really. No, not with the official software, but if you get the right version of dcraw and gphoto2...

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
A $20 camera won't stop him from getting stabbed by hobos...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

INTJ Mastermind posted:

A $20 camera won't stop him from getting stabbed by hobos...

But the million dollar kevlar batman suit will.