Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't know what it is, but he's never been anything to me but that rear end in a top hat with a paddle. There has never been an actor that lost himself less in a role to me. I accept that this is not everyone's reaction.

No, I have never not seen Ben Affleck in any of his roles. Something about his style never changes beyond what I think he's actually like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
In my mind's eye Affleck is too scrawny to be Batman, but of everything that might be wrong in a given casting that's probably the easiest thing to fix.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

DFu4ever posted:

Same here. It is pretty inspired.

I don't know. Is he even from Gotham? Like isn't he from Boston???

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

C-Euro posted:

In my mind's eye Affleck is too scrawny to be Batman, but of everything that might be wrong in a given casting that's probably the easiest thing to fix.

He was pretty jacked in The Town.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
Besides, compare Chris Hemsworth in Star Trek to Chris Hemsworth in Thor, size-wise.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

tvb posted:

Besides, compare Chris Hemsworth in Star Trek to Chris Hemsworth in Thor, size-wise.

This was a really weird post to read immediately after the Amazing Spider-Man thread's puberty dick discussion.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

tvb posted:

And honestly, I'm sure Mark Twight from Gym Jones will easily get Affleck into proper fighting shape. All you to do is just look at what that fitness maniac did to Henry Cavill.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 23, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lobok posted:

This was a really weird post to read immediately after the Amazing Spider-Man thread's puberty dick discussion.

Well guess I don't need to catch up with that thread after all.

teagone posted:

And honestly, I'm sure Mark Twight from Gym Jones will easily Affleck into proper fighting shape. All you to do is just look at what that fitness maniac did to Henry Cavill.

That's the same guy Snyder used for 300, right?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That's the same guy Snyder used for 300, right?

Yeah. Snyder has collaborated with Gym Jones/Mark Twight for a majority of his films to get his actors into shape.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I don't mind Affleck as an actor, I just would have preferred a more unknown actor like how they cast Cavill as Superman. I think it'll be too distracting having Affleck as Batman for me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

an adult beverage posted:

I don't mind Affleck as an actor, I just would have preferred a more unknown actor like how they cast Cavill as Superman. I think it'll be too distracting having Affleck as Batman for me.

No more distracting than it would have been had they cast either Josh Brolin or Jon Hamm in my opinion.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

squarerandom posted:

I don't know. Is he even from Gotham? Like isn't he from Boston???

:geno: What gives you the right?

:nolan: I'm wearing hockey pads. Wicked awesome hockey pads.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

an adult beverage posted:

No, it'll be perfect. Jokey Boston actor playing man who dresses up like a giant bat to fight crime is less of a stretch than jokey playboy billionaire dressing up like a giant bat to fight crime.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think this could work, but it's going to be weird at least for awhile. Granted, it's been like 10 years since Daredevil now.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

teagone posted:

No more distracting than it would have been had they cast either Josh Brolin or Jon Hamm in my opinion.

I doubt most people know who Brolin is by name. Like Keaton and Bale, Brolin is a character actor. Affleck is much more like Clooney in terms of appearing very similar in multiple movies.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

ghostwritingduck posted:

I doubt most people know who Brolin is by name. Like Keaton and Bale, Brolin is a character actor. Affleck is much more like Clooney in terms of appearing very similar in multiple movies.

Clooney wasn't really A list yet when he was Batman. People knew him from E.R. Mainly at that time.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Still wish Liam McIntyre had gotten the role because I love everything Spartacus and think Batman should fight more like he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmG30brMnDA

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Dacap posted:

Clooney wasn't really A list yet when he was Batman. People knew him from E.R. Mainly at that time.

True. He's also a good actor. The problem is Bruce struggles with whether he's Bruce Wayne or Batman. Having an actor who's natural qualities are apparent in all of his roles makes portraying this incredibly difficult.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

HorseRenoir posted:

So Ben Affleck is the next Batman.

I like Ben Affleck, but I'm not sure if he would work as Batman.

I want to hate this, I do. I'm trying hard to hate it.

I think I want to see it.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
There goes my holdout for Anson Mount :(

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
I see Affleck as a sort of pre-Frank Miller "world's greatest detective" Batman and think it could work.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Still wish Liam McIntyre had gotten the role because I love everything Spartacus and think Batman should fight more like he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmG30brMnDA

McIntyre might be an ok Batman but he'd be a terrible Bruce Wayne. Affleck is debatably the other way around, but it's a lot easier to fix the Batman part.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The nerd rage I'm reading all across the internet regarding Affleck getting cast as Batman is interesting. I remember Ledger's casting as The Joker was met with pretty similar levels of bitch-rear end whining, but then most people were put in their place once everyone heard Heath's voiceover in one of the first teasers. I imagine the same thing will happen again with Ben. The most hilarious comments I've read, by far, have been on The Verge's article posting - http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/22/4649490/ben-affleck-is-the-next-batman

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kevin Smith is predictably excited about this.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E

teagone posted:

The nerd rage I'm reading all across the internet regarding Affleck getting cast as Batman is interesting. I remember Ledger's casting as The Joker was met with pretty similar levels of bitch-rear end whining, but then most people were put in their place once everyone heard Heath's voiceover in one of the first teasers. I imagine the same thing will happen again with Ben. The most hilarious comments I've read, by far, have been on The Verge's article posting - http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/22/4649490/ben-affleck-is-the-next-batman

I hope it'll be great, and am not completely dismissing the film or anything, but the difference with Heath Ledger's casting is that Heath was a relatively unknown and unproven actor with some really great buzz from his few larger roles.

Affleck is Affleck, and has had decades in the industry with tons of types of roles, so people feel they know what he's capable of and can picture what he'll do with the character. He has an inherent softness which doesn't ever seem to get hidden.

Really hoping he'll do something great with the character though, at the minute I feel like someone in the studio has said "To hell with whatever plans you guys had for the movie, put Batman in it! And I want Batman to be a big name. Let's cast Ben Affleck."

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Remember that Ben Affleck was Daredevil...

And we all know how well that went.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

WMain00 posted:

That was mostly the fault of the lovely director and his lovely, lovely directing and GODDAMN was Ghost Rider bad.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

WMain00 posted:

That happened a decade ago. And like qbert said, Affleck was not the problem with that film. It was everything else.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm down with Affleck but...this is hilarious and at the same time :geno:. I'm more interested in how Batman's gonna be written or what his state is for the movie.

At this stage I really hope it isn't Man of Steel vibe and its more All Star Batman and Robin.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Rhyno posted:

FANTASY CASTING TIME

So we know Downey will be leaving Tony Stark in his rear view eventually right? We were talking about this at work and somebody came to mind that I think would be ideal to step into the role in a few years.

Adam Brody

He's got talent, anyone who watched the OC knows that. He's got the looks and he'll still be fairly young when RDJ retires from the role. He's got nerd cred from his Seth Cohen days. He's also pretty convincing as an arrogant prick but his believablility as a ladies man might need some work. I've also never seen him with facial hair but I'm sure they can glue something to his face.
I've been rolling this around in my head for a few days now and I am convinced he'd be the perfect guy to step into the role. Go watch his first scene in Mr. and Mrs. Smith, he's practically channeling RDJ there.

It'd be cool if they'd let the character age along with Downey - do what the comics aren't allowed to. Build a legacy that feels like it has weight instead of devaluing it by handing the character over to another actor. But since that won't happen, when they recast Stark I don't think they should just grab whatever good looking smarmy white guy seems the best choice at that moment. Go in a new direction, find a great actor with a different sensibility and give them a real chance to create their own Stark instead of making them rehash what came before.

Tripwyre posted:

In the rich tradition of slamming two things nerds love into each other: Tatiana Maslany for Scarlet Witch.

I've never heard of her, but I googled her and she has a great look.

teagone posted:

It's an asinine comparison because when Ledger was announced as the Joker he was something like 15 years younger than Affleck is now and had just given a motherfucker of a performance in Brokeback Mountain. Anyone who saw it could also see that he was a powerful young actor who was growing into his talent. Ben Affleck's a middle aged man who's never been much more than competent as a performer - he is a charming guy and he can get some mileage out of that, but he doesn't have a sustaining element when it's time to get deeper into a character. He doesn't have any surprises up his sleeves, and the only reason he's in a position to get this role is because he was generous enough to allow himself to star in the two hit movies he directed for Warner Brothers, thereby proving that people will still go to see a Ben Affleck movie in theaters.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DNS posted:

It'd be cool if they'd let the character age along with Downey - do what the comics aren't allowed to. Build a legacy that feels like it has weight instead of devaluing it by handing the character over to another actor.

I actually like what they're doing now, where they give superheroes actual character arcs with conclusions (Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man 3) instead of just stretching things into perpetuity where nobody grows or changes like in the comics.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I actually like what they're doing now, where they give superheroes actual character arcs with conclusions (Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man 3) instead of just stretching things into perpetuity where nobody grows or changes like in the comics.

TDKR I agree on but Iron Man 3 wasn't really a conclusion. There was some sort of ending tacked on but it's completely undone by Tony appearing in Avengers 2 and 3, no doubt as Iron Man, and it's not like he really has an arc in the film. The PTSD goes nowhere, he's never in any way challenged emotionally/psychologically in the film and I don't really see him having honestly changed much since the end of Iron Man 1.

Also, Kevin Feige has said that Marvel sees the films as something like James Bond and everyone will be recast over the years to come...so honestly it's pretty clear that the films are going the same way as the comics.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tony becoming Iron Man in Avengers 2 and 3 does not undo anything in Iron Man 3. He even said it at the end of Iron Man 3: "I am Iron Man". It just means he will be a better Iron Man than he was before.

Ultron being the villain in Avengers 2 might even mean he will be without armor until the end of the movie. Actually, with Wanda being talked about so much I wonder if this means that the movie will end with Wanda saving the day because with Ultron controlling all technology they will need magic which is something an AI will not understand.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I've seen the Town and Argo, and I love them so I'm excited to see what Affleck does with Batman.

What are some other good Affleck films?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mallrats

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

WMain00 posted:

Yeah, you're right, Ben Affleck was in a poorly-received film ten years ago. Guess it's back to the drawing board!

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I've seen the Town and Argo, and I love them so I'm excited to see what Affleck does with Batman.

What are some other good Affleck films?

His performance in Hollywoodland is pretty darn great.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Didn't we get enough super grizzled Batman from Bale already? Grim guttural voice and all

It'd be nice with a new take on the character and Ben might just be able to bring that out

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

WMain00 posted:

Daredevil really wasn't that bad and nothing wrong with Affleck at all. Half the problem was the whole Jennifer Lopez poo poo and Gigli, plus a few other utterly godawful films that nearly killed his career gave Daredevil a reputation it really doesnt deserve. Since Jersey Girl, he paused a year or two then has been doing solid work, even great work. The distatse is more those two years when he did Pearl Harbour, Jersey Girl and Gigli, he really hosed the pooch.

Pretty much like anyone else, I'd prefer him directing or even script writing, there's no argument he's pretty loving good at those. Maybe being Batman was the price for getting him onboard? Dunno but I'm quite curious to see what he brings to the role.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Whatever your thoughts are about Affleck's acting ability, does the actor under the cowl need to be all that great in the first place? Obviously mediocrity shouldn't be the goal but has Batman had any scenes from Keaton to Bale that really required or showcased some virtuoso acting? And I'm talking about Batman himself, not the villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lobok posted:

Whatever your thoughts are about Affleck's acting ability, does the actor under the cowl need to be all that great in the first place? Obviously mediocrity shouldn't be the goal but has Batman had any scenes from Keaton to Bale that really required or showcased some virtuoso acting? And I'm talking about Batman himself, not the villains.

Batman himself demands a certain anger and intensity that Affleck has never provided. People make fun of Bale's Batman voice, but you still really felt why he would cause major fear in Batman Begins when he first dons the cowl and starts threatening people. Keaton had a brooding intensity and underlying insanity feel as Batman as well. Whenever Affleck tries to pull off anything close to similar, he generally feels "soft" and "nice."

...which would make him perfect for one of the "lighter" takes on Batman. It really depends on the direction in which they go.

• Locked thread