Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I listen to Improv4Humans even more than CBB these days. I'd be super bummed to see it go :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

I won't lie, Sean and Hayes haven't seemed to be as committed to it since they came back, but it's still very enjoyable. I guess their numbers are low? But taking a month or two off kinda does that, most podcasts don't get popular until dozens of eps are in the bank, and I never saw them try to do any cross promotion or anything. RSS before their break was some of the funniest poo poo I've ever heard, so will be super bummed if they stop doing it :(

I agree that they've seemed less into it, I'd still be bummed if it stopped being a thing.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Harvey Wallbanger posted:

Agreed, the video thing has actually kinda revolutionized my enjoyment of I4H whereas the video CBBs are good but I'm cool just listening to the audio. I kinda wish every I4H was recorded, when there's an ep with no video it just feels like it's lacking so much compared to the ones that do.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I enjoy seeing how people react when they're off mic and them talking about the scene once it's over. It's pushed the show over the top for me, personally. And I hope Improv4Humans doesn't get cancelled, it's easily my favourite podcast.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

davidHalestorm posted:

Really? I don't believe both Jeff or Scott will cancel I4H just like that. In fact, I'll go on a limb and say I4H will go on as long as Matt wants to do it. I don't listen to RSS so I can't say what the situation is there.

Agreed. Why would you make Besser upset, and risk poising the well of UCB talent?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Where are people hearing that I4H is in danger?

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Analytic Engine posted:

Where are people hearing that I4H is in danger?

Not sure, I've been hearing that Comedy Bang Bang! is the one in danger.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Midnightghoul posted:

Not sure, I've been hearing that Comedy Bang Bang! is the one in danger.

That's...even more unlikely, IMO.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I could see RSS getting cancelled. There hasn't been any ads on it lately except for CBB live tour promotions. It definitely doesn't help that RSS doesn't have a big enough fan base for Sean and Hayes to be goofing off while reading their ad copy. You can't just piss away a business' money like that.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If they have to go, making fun of the bullshit products for sale is probably the best reason for it.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

They need to fire Matt Besser so they can rehire him for the second season of the Earwolf Challenge. Duh

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Horatio is killing it as Sly Stallone in this Batman sketch.

Can't believe everyone in the room didn't break on "I'm improving, 'cause...I can't read."

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The concept of a podcast being cancelled is the dumbest loving thing.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Yeah, if any of the shows ends it will be because the people who make it don't want to make it any more.

Hell, Totally Laime is still on Earwolf.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I would think the same, but Earwolf has been one of the more corporate podcast networks for a while now. I don't know what they would or wouldn't do.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Does anyone know how I4H does in the 18-49 demographic that is key for advertisers?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Then you live in a world where renting out studio space is free and audio engineers work out of the goodness of their heart.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

From everything I read, I4H is a pretty popular podcast as these things go. Where did anyone get the idea they would be cancelled?

If it's just because it's on VPN a lot, that's because it's easy to set up and get guests for, and doesn't need a "name" to be popular among its fans. It's already got Besser.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Trujillo posted:

The live one tonight is I4H, watch is so the show doesn't get cancelled!

All of this I4H being cancelled talk came from this post, which I'm pretty sure was just a joke. Pump the brakes, people.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Then you live in a world where renting out studio space is free and audio engineers work out of the goodness of their heart.

Actually it's a world where anyone can make a podcast and trying to build a corporation around it is like trying to absorb the worst aspects of tv, movies, etc. for some reason.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea when a podcast gets 'cancelled' that usually means 'so yea give us like a month to get poo poo together and I guess we'll start releasing stuff on our own?'

Though Earwolf has always kinda struck me as trying to run their podcast company like a real radio company.

LeaningFizz
Apr 9, 2003

So all references and downloads to Gelmania were removed from the Earwolf site the other day. I can't find the post, but Jeff said on the Earwolf forums that Gelmania is going to become independent and that there's no hard feelings between the two parties. This is sort of good news, I guess, since it means we'll probably see more Gelmania soon. I just hope it wont be the end for Brett's anti-Aukerman rants.

edit: http://forum.earwolf.com/topic/13113-why-has-gelmania-disappeared/page__view__findpost__p__72317

LeaningFizz fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 23, 2013

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

I can't find the post right now, but yeah, Reality Show Show is done too. No spinoff, no independence—just canceled. Pepsi just isn't satisfied with the in-earhole portrayal they've been getting. That said, does anyone know if Who Charted has any life after this season wraps? Once guest hosts enter the equation, usually means the show's circling the drain. Corporate is about to bring the hammer down, y'all.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Lauren Lapkus should really be on RSS with her super excitement for Bachelorette and overall great improv/sense of humor.

e: The previous 30 posts :stare:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
We have to get our posting done before they cancel the thread.
Also I agree that Lapkus should be do RSS.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Actually it's a world where anyone can make a podcast and trying to build a corporation around it is like trying to absorb the worst aspects of tv, movies, etc. for some reason.

It's a small business. It's not a corporation and it's not some hippie collective. Grown ups have to make money to pay bills. Nobody is getting rich off Earwolf, let alone making a profit.

If you want your podcasts sound quality to sound like absolute poo poo, you can record it at home like Julie Klausner or Neal Brennan or Todd Barry. If you want your podcast to sound good, then you have to rent studio space with professional recording equipment and trained engineers who can edit the sound.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
The Earwolf donate page straight up mentioned they need around $ 100 a day. That's why you hear people mentioned sometimes as sponsors.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

It's a small business. It's not a corporation and it's not some hippie collective. Grown ups have to make money to pay bills. Nobody is getting rich off Earwolf, let alone making a profit.

If you want your podcasts sound quality to sound like absolute poo poo, you can record it at home like Julie Klausner or Neal Brennan or Todd Barry. If you want your podcast to sound good, then you have to rent studio space with professional recording equipment and trained engineers who can edit the sound.

That's why UYD and MBMBaM are so great, because of their studio quality recording equipment. I understand they need to make money to produce podcasts their way, I just think it's dumb to cancel a podcast over "low numbers" BUT ALSO IT IS ALL SPECULATION AT THIS POINT SO I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT I AM ARGUING ABOUT. TIIIIIIIING.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I'm pretty sure you guys are arguing over a joke Matt Besser made once as if it were fact.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

It wasn't a joke, though. And I know this is all speculation. I get it. But the mayor of LA has shut down podcasts before—don't think it couldn't happen again.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
I thought they were holding elections for the honorary Mayor of Hollywood though...did they vote someone in?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
According to the ever-reliable Wikipedia, your current Honorary Mayor of Hollywood is none other than Zapp host Chip Gardner.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

According to the ever-reliable Wikipedia, your current Honorary Mayor of Hollywood is none other than Zapp host Chip Gardner.

Surprised they made no mention of Alan Funt. Though he is a fucker and a jack rear end

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Anyone catch the Two Broke Girls episode of Yo, Is This Racist? I understand the writer couldn't necessarily bash the show he works on, but "we have to make jokes based on tired stereotypes because our dumbass audience loves it" strikes me as pretty disingenuous.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

bobservo posted:

Anyone catch the Two Broke Girls episode of Yo, Is This Racist? I understand the writer couldn't necessarily bash the show he works on, but "we have to make jokes based on tired stereotypes because our dumbass audience loves it" strikes me as pretty disingenuous.

yeah its a weak rear end cop out. Is that episode the one Matt Besser called out on i4H?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Politicalrancor posted:

yeah its a weak rear end cop out. Is that episode the one Matt Besser called out on i4H?

What exactly did Besser say? I'm caught up on I4H but I don't remember anything like that.

I just remembered the writer was also trying to justify the Chinese character's hilarious accent by bringing up the fact that he's an immigrant. The guy is fictional, and the actor has an American accent; couldn't they have just written him differently?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Besser was going off on some lady who was on Yo That's Racist by saying that the LA writers who are her friends aren't racist for writing racist stereotypes but it's us who are the real racists because we demand the stereotypes, something along those lines that was really dumb because writing racist stereotypes for cheap laughs is still just racist.

2BG is racist and always will be because the producer is an idiot who doesn't understand what sensitivity and not writing lazy representations is all about so to be fair it's not all on the writers.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Either way that guy will definitely regret being a part of that podcast sometime in the future when somebody involved in the show hears it.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

That new Dads show is even worse because it's straight-up selling itself as a racist jokes sitcom. Apparently when the Japanese tsunami happened in 2011, one of the show's co-creators was all "heh revenge for Pearl Harbor" on Twitter.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 25, 2013

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Politicalrancor posted:

That one was the person saying that there were no black people in Chicago, Detroit, or Arkansaw, and her writer friends only write racist sitcoms to appeal to the people in those places.

This time someone is blaming the racism on the show Outsourced on "middle America," and writing stereotypical caricatures is alright because it's giving an actor work. "I think it's a good thing to put these people in front of a camera."

I just hope this deepens the Besster/Ti feud. More podcasts should have beefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Can someone provide the episode/timecode with Matt's argument?