Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Mr.McMahon's Utopia. HBK VS UT, running up that hill. CM Punk "Do I have everybody's attention now?".

Not familiar with Mr. McMahon's Utopia. What's that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I Before E posted:

Not familiar with Mr. McMahon's Utopia. What's that one?

It aired before Over the Edge 1998 (main evented by Austin and Dude Love). It basically talks about how Austin has turned the WWE upside down and Vince dreams of a world without him and there's a CPU vocieover talking about compliance and hopw it's good for you, and defiance will not be tolerated. It has a lot of facist imagery, and at the end, says "Welcome to Mr.McMahon's Utopia". it's pretty great. Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHDNapDVIZU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

It aired before Over the Edge 1998 (main evented by Austin and Dude Love). It basically talks about how Austin has turned the WWE upside down and Vince dreams of a world without him and there's a CPU vocieover talking about compliance and hopw it's good for you, and defiance will not be tolerated. It has a lot of facist imagery, and at the end, says "Welcome to Mr.McMahon's Utopia". it's pretty great. Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHDNapDVIZU

That's pretty rad, especially the little bit of footage from Metropolis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZkK55HFUDU This is the Austin/Hart package I was talking about, right at the start of the video.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Punchsport Podcast: what's your favorite announcing call of all time?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Tribute to Johnny is the best package.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDjyMTL1gQA

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tato posted:

Seeing the types of people who post on the F4W board, I can't imagine going to an event with those people as being anything other than hell on earth. Sounds like whatever happened at their China Buffet gathering this week was memorable.
I was there. He (Kremen) wasn't that bad. Nobody was. It was mostly uneventful and just a bunch of pretty cool people watching wrestlemans.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Good Listener posted:

Hurricane's podcast today with Bryan was pretty fun. It's free too so!

Do you have link to that? I can't seem to find it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Suleman posted:

Do you have link to that? I can't seem to find it.
Alvarez talks to Hurricane

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

I was there. He (Kremen) wasn't that bad. Nobody was. It was mostly uneventful and just a bunch of pretty cool people watching wrestlemans.

who was he being a dick to that drove him there?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Meeting The Kremenal must be an experience

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
Grado is on Art of Wrestling this week, it's yersel !

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bard Maddox posted:

Punchsport Podcast: what's your favorite announcing call of all time?

It has to be JR going "Aw, son of a bitch!" when Vince revealed himself as the Higher Power.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

It has to be JR going "Aw, son of a bitch!" when Vince revealed himself as the Higher Power.

Not "GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY, HE'S BROKEN IN HALF!!!"?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's also the first Ric Flair episode of the Steve Austin Show. And they record in a hotel room, for whoever was complaining about phone calls.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

When deciding between the grave situation and the call that makes you laugh, go with the one that makes you laugh.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Gaz-L posted:

Close. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypot3CYECwE. Probably my favorite call, etched in my brain that's for sure.

I think the Miz promo from right before his Wrestlemania match is one of my favorite packages they've done in recent years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O20Po-_kyuk

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's amazing how much support here Miz had when that video was produced and now you'd be hard pressed to find anyone here that would claim to still be a fan. His rise and fall was hilariously fast. I tried to stay positive about him but the face turn has just been unbearable.

That and when Riley stopped being his stooge that pretty much took all the fun out of his character. Those two trolling other wrestlers was the only reason Miz's personality worked.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It's amazing how much support here Miz had when that video was produced and now you'd be hard pressed to find anyone here that would claim to still be a fan. His rise and fall was hilariously fast.
For me, his fall happened when he came out on the ramp. He was a foot shorter than Riley, wore an overcoat that looked 3 sizes too big for him, & stomped around like a 12-year-old "tough guy". All I could think of was: "Man, they were right. He shouldn't be here."

Just like that hypothetical that Bryan Alvarez says about something being on the other side of the room, and you have to choose to go through X, X or The Miz to get it. I just don't buy him as a person who could win a professional fight.

But, that video package made me think it for a minute or so, so good job production guys.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Was I the only one that was hoping the Austin/Samoa Joe podcast would be interrupted by a surprise call-in from CM Punk, who would just laugh at Joe for 5 minutes straight?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
It sounds like on today's WO that Alvarez's recent TNA research was to write a chapter for the updated Death of WCW. TNA is so pathetic, it can't even get its own book.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmay525oCMA

This is one of my favourite video packages.

I love how they were able to build this match so well without Taker being on TV.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

triplexpac posted:

Was I the only one that was hoping the Austin/Samoa Joe podcast would be interrupted by a surprise call-in from CM Punk, who would just laugh at Joe for 5 minutes straight?

Can somebody post that cartoon?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

dsriggs posted:

For me, his fall happened when he came out on the ramp. He was a foot shorter than Riley, wore an overcoat that looked 3 sizes too big for him, & stomped around like a 12-year-old "tough guy". All I could think of was: "Man, they were right. He shouldn't be here."

Just like that hypothetical that Bryan Alvarez says about something being on the other side of the room, and you have to choose to go through X, X or The Miz to get it. I just don't buy him as a person who could win a professional fight.

But, that video package made me think it for a minute or so, so good job production guys.

This post for some reason made me remember the stupid fuckin' ostrich dance he used to do before his finisher and now I can't stop laughing.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I think Miz was so popular here for a time because we were pretty desperate for WWE to push anyone new. This was before they had NXT filled with potential talent, things were looking kinda bleak. Miz was coming off of a funny tag team with Morrison, we were willing to give him a shot.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

Rodney the Piper posted:

It sounds like on today's WO that Alvarez's recent TNA research was to write a chapter for the updated Death of WCW. TNA is so pathetic, it can't even get its own book.

TNA doesn't deserve their own book. :colbert:

Frilled Lizard
May 22, 2004

WOOF WOOF WOOF
YOU KNOW IT

Endless Mike posted:

There's also the first Ric Flair episode of the Steve Austin Show. And they record in a hotel room, for whoever was complaining about phone calls.

GREAT podcast, pretty much just Flair and Austin telling old wrestling stories for an hour. Great insight into his career. There will be a part 2 next week.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Sydney Bottocks posted:

TNA doesn't deserve their own book. :colbert:

They do if you only care about being able to laugh at stupid people as much as possible.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

Rodney the Piper posted:

They do if you only care about being able to laugh at stupid people as much as possible.

I enjoy that as much as the next guy, but I think it's perfectly fitting that TNA--who have been hell-bent on becoming WCW 2.0, right down to trying to spend their way into the #2 spot--are merely just an afterword to the overall failure of WCW, rather than having their failures documented in their own right.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Isn't the Wrestlecrap guy doing another book? It will probably be 80% TNA so there you go.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

PaybackJack posted:

Isn't the Wrestlecrap guy doing another book? It will probably be 80% TNA so there you go.
Him and Bryan Alvarez ~! are doing an extended version of Death of WCW. Also of note, Alvarez ~! has been asking for the craziest moments in TNA history on The BOARD ~! which has led to speculation about a Death of TNA book or something.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jack Krauser posted:

Him and Bryan Alvarez ~! are doing an extended version of Death of WCW. Also of note, Alvarez ~! has been asking for the craziest moments in TNA history on The BOARD ~! which has led to speculation about a Death of TNA book or something.

I am pretty sure that all the Wrestlecrap guy did was write isn't that crazy next to something stupid WCW did.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sportsgenius86 posted:

who was he being a dick to that drove him there?
Some nice girl. Think she may have been his girlfriend? I have no idea. And I don't know anything about him being a dick to her specifically. Somebody just kept feeding him booze until he was fairly drunk and incoherent. It happens.

The wild stories of Brent Kremen are, sadly, exaggerated. Anybody who hangs out in bars or went to a university knows ten people worse than Brent.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Colt's talking to Grado on his Padcast.

S'good.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Colt's talking to Grado on his Padcast.

S'good.

The guy with the bandana who hangs around Okada?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I Before E posted:

The guy with the bandana who hangs around Okada?

The Scottish comedy wrestler, not Gedo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Gedo fluent enough to do a podcast?

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Grado. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Sr55fI6zU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

in a twist of fate, Okada will do all the translation for Gedo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

No No, I know the difference, but somebody bringing up Gedo made me wanna hear him do an interview. I know he's a big fan of U.S. style, especially brawlers and Dusty Rhodes in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

NienNunb posted:

PunchMen SomethingOrAnother: What are the best WWE-produced video packages?

While not technically a WWE video package, this is the real answer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30gonV3yjgs&t=923s

oatgan fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 23, 2013

• Locked thread