Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Fly McCool posted:

I just bought Civ V. Should I hold off on Brave New World or buy it immediately?

If you've never played a civ game before, hold off and see what you make of the vanilla version.

Otherwise buy it immediately and don't look back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fly McCool posted:

I just bought Civ V. Should I hold off on Brave New World or buy it immediately?

Absolutely get it as soon as you can.

uPen posted:

That's weird, have you tried reloading?

Yes, just did and it didn't fix it. But I did get the cows anyways by buying the coastal tile northwest of it first. I think what was happening was that the city south of it was the one that grabbed the iron so it "owned" that tile, meaning the city shown couldn't use that tile for expansion purposes. I still think that's a bug, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be able to buy or expand to the cows in that case rather than having to go around the tile obtained by the other city.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fly McCool posted:

My white rice just came out of the cooker. Should I hold off on other ingredients and eat it like that?

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

Chomp8645 posted:

My white rice just came out of the cooker. Should I hold off on other ingredients and eat it like that?

You should sub in the white for brown, instead.

Thanks everyone :)

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

So me and a bud are doing a co-op comp stomp and we went with a Incan/Dutch combo for the delicious, delicious double tile improvements. Bud of mine is the Dutch, this was due south of his capital.

:homebrew:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
In over 500 hours of playtime I still haven't managed to find that damned fountain of youth. :argh: Is it really that rare?

Edit: Okay, I guess it was introduced in Gods and Kings, so make that 300 hours.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well this is a bug I've never seen before:

Those cows are 3 tiles out. They can't be bought. That's pretty frustrating.

edit: Also the grassland hill but I don't care as much about that.

Seems like they're in someone else's territory.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Tarquinn posted:

In over 500 hours of playtime I still haven't managed to find that damned fountain of youth. :argh: Is it really that rare?

Edit: Okay, I guess it was introduced in Gods and Kings, so make that 300 hours.

It is, I've seen it spawn twice in 700 hours. Both times it guaranteed an easy win.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.
My empire has reached the point where I have around 15 cities, a lot of units, and a lot of desire to destroy the evil Greeks who are the civ opposing me. We're extremely evenly matched.

How the hell am I meant to have a war with them? Our happiness fluctuates around the 0 mark give or take 5 either way. If we go to war, we can't take any cities or our civ will be plunged into chaos. But we can certainly kill and be killed without getting anybody upset at all. We could kill a thousand units and lose a thousand units and nobody in my empire would care. But if we occupied a teeny tiny Greek town, there'd be revolution.

The old "war weariness" worked a lot better in my opinion. This new system forces your hand so, so hard away from a military victory. What the hell?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
The real bloom of open warfare seems to be the industrial/modern age these days. Ideologies give both reason and a means (many many more ways to generate happiness)Also if your civ is going that wide you need to seriously cap growth, each city should be working every special tile in it's radius and nothing else.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Granted, I doubt many leaders such as Genghis are much better.

Funny story, in one of my more recent games (I think it was Poland :poland:) Genghis was my southern neighbour. He invaded pretty much every city-state he could find and every other civ in the game hated him, but he was always on good terms with me and was actually my most loyal ally, even when my army consisted of maybe two units. Never backstabbed me once.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

In one game, Genghis was the leader in convincing the entire world that I wasn't a gigantic rear end in a top hat for daring to place my capital down where I started as Venice. First one in that game to DoF me, and also received the first of many research agreements, and trades in his favor.

Nebuchadnezzar, on the other hand, is just a grumpy jerk that keeps to himself.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In my current game, Genghis was my friend and had just made a declaration of friendship when he rolled in with 6 brutes and 2 spearmen around 1500 AD. It's a fairly easy invasion to repel, but all the pillaging is wreaking havoc on my economy.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Genghis tends to be one of the best AI to buddy up with exactly because he's a warmonger, but not a backstabber. Harald Bluetooth, too. They won't hate you for gobbling up a couple capitals and they usually won't get into a power block with the AI that do, so they won't turn on you because someone else hates you, either. Just don't let them conquer literally everyone else around them.

I've managed to have pretty warm relationships with Shaka, too, but don't even bother trying to get along with Nobunaga, Montezuma or Alexander.

EDIT: Oh yeah, have a standing army, too. The AI will attack you if it thinks it has a much bigger army than you.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

It is, I've seen it spawn twice in 700 hours. Both times it guaranteed an easy win.

Alright. And so the search continues. :smith:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ulvirich posted:

In one game, Genghis was the leader in convincing the entire world that I wasn't a gigantic rear end in a top hat for daring to place my capital down where I started as Venice. First one in that game to DoF me, and also received the first of many research agreements, and trades in his favor.

In my current Arabia game, Washington and Sejong are by BFFs; we've shared tech, wars, trade routes and artifacts with no prob :3: All the way to the Information Age, where I'll be sure to leave them a nice planet as I leave for the stars.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Has anyone else noticed Gandhi getting his poo poo kicked in really early? My past couple of games have seen him lose his capital well before 200 (marathon) turns have passed. It was always a coalition of unconnected civs too.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Flython posted:

Has anyone else noticed Gandhi getting his poo poo kicked in really early? My past couple of games have seen him lose his capital well before 200 (marathon) turns have passed. It was always a coalition of unconnected civs too.

I'm surprised you are seeing much fighting at all, I'm in the information age with Spain, there have been 3 wars and they were all started by me.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

kanonvandekempen posted:

I'm surprised you are seeing much fighting at all, I'm in the information age with Spain, there have been 3 wars and they were all started by me.

I'm playing a modified game so that's probably throwing it off some. Still though it's very peaceful until people decide that Gandhi needs to die and they'll happily cross a fair distance to do it.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Flython posted:

In my games it's France that's always getting their rear end kicked. I'd guess everyone has their own civ that gets kicked around.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
I wish there was a way to just buy the Incans as a civ. I have every other DLC and expansion, but I'm not going to spend the extra money to re-buy the Spanish. It makes no sense that you can't seperate the Incans into another, smaller pack.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Peaceful Tenochtilan, nestled between the gentle lakes nearby, and at the foothills of a lone mountain peak would almost seem rustic if it weren't for the daily income of sacrifices for the blood altar from nearby barbarian camps. Yes, the Aztec empire was content, it's sole army returning from a successful campaign against Venice, and preparing to go collect Swedish prisoners on the other side of the empire.

From the thick, steamy jungles to the south, a single Mongolian swordsman appeared from the thicket, then another, and another, followed by a desiccated corpse wrapped in parchment that came flying over the hills into the city; "The time for your destruction has come!"

Wise Montezuma looked upon this corpse in mid-cut of the obsidian blade. How dare these sacrifices pretend to revolt in his august presence? Ximicacan. Ximicacan! XIMICACAN! He declared as another heart lay cooling on the hungry stone slab.

The jaguar swords, six army groups in number, accompanied by two jaguar pikes made all haste to welcome the new sacrifices to the blood altars at Tenochtilan. The invaders numbered in the ten and eight, marched to their doom. Huitzilopochtli would feast well, and Montezuma's chief sacrifice-gatherer, Auitzotl, would ensure it.

At first, the Mongols had the upperhand, and numbers, and they were in firing distance of the capital. Glorious Montezuma, gazed upon the statues of Mictlantecuhtli and deemed it time, for the sacrifices came at the city in ones and twos from the hostile jungle, with the hungry jaguar hunting for prey. All of the invaders who made it to the walls of the city either perished or were taken captive, and the sanguine life flowed from the temples. Montezuma himself was so impressed by this generosity of Genghis Khan that he awarded his gatherers the privilege to shed the skin of the iron and become encased in the shining favor of Quetzalcoatl and told to go forth to the yurts of the Mongols.

Hefting his long macuahuitl and arrayed in the pelt of the Jaguar and the feathers of the Bird, honorable Auitzotl gave the fleeing Mongols two choices: Die on the altars, or die on the wicked curved obsidian blades of the Steel Jaguars.

:black101: XIMICACAN :black101:

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Flython posted:

I'm playing a modified game so that's probably throwing it off some. Still though it's very peaceful until people decide that Gandhi needs to die and they'll happily cross a fair distance to do it.

To be fair, getting rid of Ghandi early means you don't have to deal with him drowning you in an unending torrent of nukes later.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

NightConqueror posted:

I wish there was a way to just buy the Incans as a civ. I have every other DLC and expansion, but I'm not going to spend the extra money to re-buy the Spanish. It makes no sense that you can't seperate the Incans into another, smaller pack.

Think of it as them being more expensive because they're awesome and worth it, and the Spanish being a free add-on.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ulvirich posted:

Peaceful Tenochtilan, nestled between the gentle lakes nearby, and at the foothills of a lone mountain peak would almost seem rustic if it weren't for the daily income of sacrifices for the blood altar from nearby barbarian camps. Yes, the Aztec empire was content, it's sole army returning from a successful campaign against Venice, and preparing to go collect Swedish prisoners on the other side of the empire.

From the thick, steamy jungles to the south, a single Mongolian swordsman appeared from the thicket, then another, and another, followed by a desiccated corpse wrapped in parchment that came flying over the hills into the city; "The time for your destruction has come!"

Wise Montezuma looked upon this corpse in mid-cut of the obsidian blade. How dare these sacrifices pretend to revolt in his august presence? Ximicacan. Ximicacan! XIMICACAN! He declared as another heart lay cooling on the hungry stone slab.

The jaguar swords, six army groups in number, accompanied by two jaguar pikes made all haste to welcome the new sacrifices to the blood altars at Tenochtilan. The invaders numbered in the ten and eight, marched to their doom. Huitzilopochtli would feast well, and Montezuma's chief sacrifice-gatherer, Auitzotl, would ensure it.

At first, the Mongols had the upperhand, and numbers, and they were in firing distance of the capital. Glorious Montezuma, gazed upon the statues of Mictlantecuhtli and deemed it time, for the sacrifices came at the city in ones and twos from the hostile jungle, with the hungry jaguar hunting for prey. All of the invaders who made it to the walls of the city either perished or were taken captive, and the sanguine life flowed from the temples. Montezuma himself was so impressed by this generosity of Genghis Khan that he awarded his gatherers the privilege to shed the skin of the iron and become encased in the shining favor of Quetzalcoatl and told to go forth to the yurts of the Mongols.

Hefting his long macuahuitl and arrayed in the pelt of the Jaguar and the feathers of the Bird, honorable Auitzotl gave the fleeing Mongols two choices: Die on the altars, or die on the wicked curved obsidian blades of the Steel Jaguars.

B-, no fanart.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Ulvirich posted:

B+.

A Solid B+.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Is there some effective way to guard trade convoys?
I've got spare military ships, but it feels awkward to try and cover the convoy routes. Would really like to be able to attach ships to the routes or something.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've got spare military ships, but it feels awkward to try and cover the convoy routes. Would really like to be able to attach ships to the routes or something.

Obliterate every coastal barbarian camp you see, don't send ships through territory that is shadowed for everyone.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Ulvirich posted:

:siren: Morgan Shepperd account spotted! :siren:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jedit posted:

Obliterate every coastal barbarian camp you see, don't send ships through territory that is shadowed for everyone.

I try to do the former, but the latter knocks out so many early game trade routes.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Pray that this feature gets added, basically. I'm not sure why it doesn't exist already: playing the "make sure embarked units are guarded by actual naval units" dance has always been a pain.

I kid, the AI is too stupid to put up a competent naval defense.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

fivre posted:

Pray that this feature gets added, basically. I'm not sure why it doesn't exist already: playing the "make sure embarked units are guarded by actual naval units" dance has always been a pain.

I kid, the AI is too stupid to put up a competent naval defense.

Isn't the problem with trade routes that you have to watch the whole route, rather than just being able to follow the unit on each turn?

I've long wished for more defense/guard abilities on units, both naval and land. I'd love to be able to tell a ship to watch the ocean between two cities

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well there is an "alert" function, just not a "patrol" function.

Besides, following caravans isn't possible because they can ignore closed borders. You wouldn't be able to get your unit into enemy territory without declaring war.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Speedball posted:

Well there is an "alert" function, just not a "patrol" function.

Besides, following caravans isn't possible because they can ignore closed borders. You wouldn't be able to get your unit into enemy territory without declaring war.

Automated exploring units can handle that, so I don't see why an automated patrol couldn't. Just follow the caravan/cargo ship's path as tightly as possible, respecting closed borders. Unless it's a land-based route that goes through multiple other civs that aren't the destination, it shouldn't be an issue, and mounted units can get the +1 sight promotion. (Naval units usually have ridiculous sight range and shouldn't be an issue)

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Kyrosiris posted:

Automated exploring units can handle that, so I don't see why an automated patrol couldn't. Just follow the caravan/cargo ship's path as tightly as possible, respecting closed borders. Unless it's a land-based route that goes through multiple other civs that aren't the destination, it shouldn't be an issue, and mounted units can get the +1 sight promotion. (Naval units usually have ridiculous sight range and shouldn't be an issue)

Basically I want a defined explore option, where you either set the path or the area. I also want to be able to have workers automate to a specific city, or to a specific function, rather than whatever the AI decides to do. When I'm doing an ICS or world domination, I'd like for my workers to do more than just build endless trading posts.

A somewhat simpler option would be to have an explore option that can roam already explored areas that aren't claimed by any civ, to beef up trade routes and keep barbarian camps in check. But I think that's probably something that breaks the gameplay design they have.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
One thing that annoys me about the trade route pillaging is that while the barbarians usually wreck things simply because they have units idling everywhere, it's actually really tough to pillage a route yourself. You have to plant your units in front of the caravans along its route; moving a unit directly onto a caravan doesn't actually do anything. And there's no indicators as to how the route is moving unless you can get vision of the caravan and mouseover it for the little trail (good luck getting this in rough terrain, they ignore movement penalties).

I'd like for caravans to use standard movement rules to make roads more important for trade purposes and make it simpler to target caravans to cripple an economy, but maybe they tried that and didn't like how it worked. Cities in hilly areas would be totally screwed in the early game, not to mention losing a bunch of your already limited income on road maintenance. Another trade overview screen to show who has trade routes with who would be awesome as well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
You can pillage a trade route by moving onto the caravan then clicking pillage. Of course you need a unit with multiple moves.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

rypakal posted:

Isn't the problem with trade routes that you have to watch the whole route, rather than just being able to follow the unit on each turn? I've long wished for more defense/guard abilities on units, both naval and land. I'd love to be able to tell a ship to watch the ocean between two cities

The way pillaging trade routes works is that an enemy combat unit can either 1) manually pillage the cargo ship/caravan on their turn, or 2) sit astride the trade route and pillage the cargo ship/caravan as it attempts to travel through the tile on your turn.

As for guarding routes goes, I think that the best solution would be to enable a "patrol" function on units, where you select a point and the unit will travel back and forth between that point and the one it is currently on, alerting when it sees an enemy unit. It's simple and it would be broadly useful. It wouldn't be a perfect defense for trade routes, only a useful tool that replicates what you can already do manually, and that's a good thing too.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 23, 2013

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Does trade route overlay in map options only show your routes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You can pillage a trade route by moving onto the caravan then clicking pillage. Of course you need a unit with multiple moves.

Man, that's completely counter-intuitive. You use pillage to attack tile improvements, not units. And this is the only instance of being able to share a tile with units of a hostile civ. Plus, what if you're in the middle of a war and want that 25 HP from pillaging but some neutral civ has a caravan that just happens to be on the tile?

fivre posted:

Does trade route overlay in map options only show your routes?

Just pulled up a save to double-check and yeah, it only seems to show your own routes. Hovering over another civ's caravan shows the trail from their city in a big thick green highlight, but there's no thin red highlight when I move my mouse away.

isndl fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 23, 2013

• Locked thread