Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

Having extra memory on ML is nice and all, but is there a way to tell the OS what apps to "put to sleep" memory-wise while they're running? Some apps I have running in the background take a few seconds to appear from Hide when I click on them on the Dock, which isn't too bad a tradeoff for their memory, but there are some (mostly Alfred) that I'd like to keep "active" constantly. On Lion it was eating memory all the time and always popped up immediately upon hotkey press, but in ML it takes 3-5 seconds to appear and I'd like it to be instant again.
Weird, it shouldn't be doing that unless it's being swapped out of memory (which doesn't necessarily happen all the time with sleeping apps iirc), but it sounds like that should've happened under Lion too if that were the case. Just try emailing the devs, and make sure you're on the latest version if you're not already. What machine/specs are you on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Somehow I missed this thread in my Googling. Perfect - thanks!

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I have a 1TB USB3 external drive with three partitions on it, and one of those partitions I use for Time Machine. It works perfectly in all respects for TM.

The only thing is that the TM partition does NOT show up in Migration Assistant . The other bootable partition (my SSD clone) does show up in MA so I know the external drive is OK.

Can you guys think of any reason why the TM would not appear? I'm running 10.8.4.

(The reason I'm asking is that I did a fresh install of 10.8.4 a while back when I decoupled my Fusion drive. I could get everything I needed from my SSD clone via MA. It just struck me as peculiar that MA didn't see the Time Machine partition.)

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

binarysmurf posted:

I have a 1TB USB3 external drive with three partitions on it, and one of those partitions I use for Time Machine. It works perfectly in all respects for TM.

The only thing is that the TM partition does NOT show up in Migration Assistant . The other bootable partition (my SSD clone) does show up in MA so I know the external drive is OK.

Can you guys think of any reason why the TM would not appear? I'm running 10.8.4.

(The reason I'm asking is that I did a fresh install of 10.8.4 a while back when I decoupled my Fusion drive. I could get everything I needed from my SSD clone via MA. It just struck me as peculiar that MA didn't see the Time Machine partition.)

Edit: I guess I should ask first, when you load migration assistant, are you telling it to restore from a disk, computer, or time machine drive?

I'd say it's done that way by design. The options in migration assistant ask if you want to restore from a machine, disk, or time machine. It would seem that if you don't pick time machine backup, the assistant is just going to leave out any time machine drives.

I have no idea if it works this way, but if the time machine backup was done on a disk with other files (ie not specifically a time machine drive, I would think the assistant might see just as a data folder then (though again I really don't know), but since that partition is dedicated as only a time machine drive, it just ignores it.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

empty baggie posted:

Edit: I guess I should ask first, when you load migration assistant, are you telling it to restore from a disk, computer, or time machine drive?

I'm telling it to restore from a TM drive. When I boot into Recovery (Command-R) then the TM drive is found with no problems. I'm just curious as to why MA won't find it. Interesting quirk.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just curious: What is everyone's take on private/var/tmp and how often do you go through there and clean things up?

I'm asking because apparently that folder just eternally gets bigger as it isn't cleaned out between reboots, and because apparently the downloader/installer for League Of Legends apparently shits up the gently caress out of that folder; and that's how you download 6GB of data for a 1.5GB app file.

I probably just shouldn't have installed the drat thing, but oh well!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Craptacular! posted:

Just curious: What is everyone's take on private/var/tmp and how often do you go through there and clean things up?

I'm asking because apparently that folder just eternally gets bigger as it isn't cleaned out between reboots, and because apparently the downloader/installer for League Of Legends apparently shits up the gently caress out of that folder; and that's how you download 6GB of data for a 1.5GB app file.

I probably just shouldn't have installed the drat thing, but oh well!
Why is anything using /var/tmp? There's an actual /tmp folder which definitely does get cleared out at reboot because I use it to hold software package installers that need to be run from a local drive.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

japtor posted:

Weird, it shouldn't be doing that unless it's being swapped out of memory (which doesn't necessarily happen all the time with sleeping apps iirc), but it sounds like that should've happened under Lion too if that were the case. Just try emailing the devs, and make sure you're on the latest version if you're not already. What machine/specs are you on?
It never happened to me with Lion; every app was on full-time and eating memory. I used to wonder how I never saw the much-advertised 'sleeping apps' thing but it certainly is in ML. If I don't use an app for about 15 or so minutes, it takes 5-ish seconds to pop up from "sleep" which is fine (because again, more memory) but Alfred does this too, which isn't as fine. Everything is up-to-date and running pretty smoothly on a 3,1 MBP.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Craptacular! posted:

IIRC it gets cleaned out when you do an update to a new point release or a new major version of OS X.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Mercurius posted:

Why is anything using /var/tmp? There's an actual /tmp folder which definitely does get cleared out at reboot because I use it to hold software package installers that need to be run from a local drive.

user/var/tmp is supposed to remain across reboots. League of Legends appears to install almost 6GB of content there across ~45,000 files that have gibberish names in Finder but are accessed fine by the program. That's in addition to it's (much more forgivable) 1.5GB application file.

I decided to clean out the thing; as all of it's files were made within the 90 minutes or so that took the game to download and install. There were also folders for EA's Origin and some other things that I left alone. For what it's worth, for most people, all you'll find in there is old System logs and the like. LoL is just extremely poorly made. The funny thing is that Riot Games tells people to just throw away the application file and you'll delete anything relevant to the game, ignoring the 5+ gigs hiding in an invisible cache folder.

No wonder some fans still update a third-party client for this thing.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
Man, I'm kinda hoping Mavericks fixes the shutdown times. I really miss the 2-3 seconds from Snow Leopard. Not that it matters anyways, I always keep my stuff on sleep but to go from that to like 10-15 seconds in ML is kinda lame.

Yeah, I realize there is practically no difference in speed and it's me being extremely picky, but goddamn did it impress me when I first got a mac.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What's the best boot manager these days? rEFInd? I use Snow Leopard and Windows 8 the same amount equally and want to be asked which to log into whenever I power up my MacBook.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I just hold option, works 4 me.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yes. I don't want to hold option each time or have it load up OSX automatically. I want a choice upon boot up. I'm considering this: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/ and wondering if anyone has used it or knows of a better way.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

My boss puts rEFIt on all Macs to choose between OS X and Windows 7, seems to do the job.

e: and now I see that yours is a fork/successor anyway. Carry on.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Is there really no way to force the option menu to always start?
Dang it Tim get on that.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Nope which is really annoying and silly. I found a cool boot manager made by the guys behind Winclone: http://twocanoes.com/boot-runner

I might try it since it's only :10bux:

edit: this one is free but not as shmancy: http://buttered-cat.com/products/QuickBoot

Housh fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 22, 2013

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

:siren:
OSX 10.9 Mavericks DP6 is now out, restart steam.
E: NO WAIT DON'T, SEE BELOW.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 22, 2013

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I'm not sure what, if anything, changed.
I downloaded 1.7 gigs on my hackingtosh, and 1gb on my 13'' MBP. Neither seem at all different.
What was in that 1.7 gigs.
E: Major performance boost in games on the Nvidia powers hackintosh, I guess that explains the extra size.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 22, 2013

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Large memory leak may be a problem? Post-Update OSX is using 80% memory idle.

It's using 10.2GB idle :ohdear:
Or is this some sort of cache in OSX that I'm not familiar with? I need more info.

E: Less siren.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 22, 2013

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Settle the gently caress down, dude, it's still in beta. Radar it if it's an issue but also you are on unsupported hardware so don't be surprised if they don't care about your issues.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I know but it is AN issue, and I figured I would report it.
The fact that I really like the siren has nothing to do with it. I saw a few other reports scattered around.

E: Okay so on my MBP it's using 5 out of 8 gigs idle, but everything seems fine. I guess this must be a cache of some sort I never noticed before.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 22, 2013

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
Is it possible to install bootcamp/Windows 7 on an external thunderbolt or USB3 SSD drive connected on the new iMacs? Google gave me mixed results.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mongoibur posted:

Is it possible to install bootcamp/Windows 7 on an external thunderbolt or USB3 SSD drive connected on the new iMacs? Google gave me mixed results.
No clue on those iMacs specifically, but from looking into it a while back myself I remember it's possible, but Windows isn't meant to boot off external drives so it involves extra work and the crossing of fingers. Found this guide with a quick search:
http://bleeptobleep.blogspot.fr/2013/02/mac-install-windows-7-or-8-on-external.html

...otherwise the best bet is probably reading a bunch of experiences on the MacRumors forums:
http://www.google.com/search?q=macrumors+thunderbolt+windows+booting+site:forums.macrumors.com
I vaguely remember a thread collecting info for a guide, which may or may not be the source of info on that other link.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away

japtor posted:

No clue on those iMacs specifically, but from looking into it a while back myself I remember it's possible, but Windows isn't meant to boot off external drives so it involves extra work and the crossing of fingers. Found this guide with a quick search:
http://bleeptobleep.blogspot.fr/2013/02/mac-install-windows-7-or-8-on-external.html

...otherwise the best bet is probably reading a bunch of experiences on the MacRumors forums:
http://www.google.com/search?q=macrumors+thunderbolt+windows+booting+site:forums.macrumors.com
I vaguely remember a thread collecting info for a guide, which may or may not be the source of info on that other link.

Thanks! That looks like a lot of effort. Guess I'll just make room for a small Windows partition on the internal HD.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I have a time capsule at work and one at home. The home one is actually a Windows share, but I set it up like they do in this article and it has worked quite well so far. Problem is, when I'm not at home I get this dialog every now and again:

Any way I can suppress this error?

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

THC posted:

Any way I can suppress this error?

Is it in your login items?

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Hi OSX people! I have a short question.

I love using the multiple desktop feature on my MBA to switch between full-screen applications with a gesture, but when I use multiple displays, they're both tied to the same "desktop", so when I swipe right they both move, and when I put something in full screen, I can't put anything on the other display. Is there any way to get around this?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah, install OSX 10.9 beta or wait for it to come out, what your asking for is a new feature.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

SRQ posted:

Yeah, install OSX 10.9 beta or wait for it to come out, what your asking for is a new feature.

I see. Thanks mate!

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

SRQ posted:

And it's loving glorious, besides a few little bugs in the beta.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

empty baggie posted:

And it's loving glorious, besides a few little bugs in the beta.

Yeah 10.9Dp6 is amazing at this point.
Snow Leopard is back, in Tim form.
I just really wish it would go gold already, I want to reinstall OSX on a new SSD on my MacBook, to hell with using 10.8- So that means I have to install all 5 updates after installing 10.9DP1. Understandable for a beta but hella annoying.
Take my money Tim, take it.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 23, 2013

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

SRQ posted:

A 'feature' that should've been in from the beginning :colbert:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Agreed but w/e, works for me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way to find the location of an item that shows up when I do a Spotlight search?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to find the location of an item that shows up when I do a Spotlight search?
Command-return, command-R or command-click on it.

One random trick I just remembered related to the Spotlight menu, the results are proxies (like titlebar icons in documents) so you can grab and drag them around straight from the menu.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

japtor posted:

(like titlebar icons in documents) so you can grab and drag them around straight from the menu.

my god how did i not know this

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I think they added it in OS 8 or 9 :v:. There's also command or right clicking the icon/name in the titlebar to show the full path, which also works in Safari (albeit much less useful with most pages of course). And that stuff works in the Finder too.

10.7 or 10.8 added some stuff for documents too (but not Finder), like now you can rename or move files right from the titlebar name with a regular click.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

japtor posted:

I think they added it in OS 8 or 9 :v:. There's also command or right clicking the icon/name in the titlebar to show the full path, which also works in Safari (albeit much less useful with most pages of course). And that stuff works in the Finder too.

10.7 or 10.8 added some stuff for documents too (but not Finder), like now you can rename or move files right from the titlebar name with a regular click.

I've been a windows baby my whole life I only got in last year, boy was that an improvement.
This is all literally magic. Compared to OSX it's like Windows is still just Windows 98SE with better graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SRQ posted:

I've been a windows baby my whole life I only got in last year, boy was that an improvement.
This is all literally magic. Compared to OSX it's like Windows is still just Windows 98SE with better graphics.

I'd argue that in Win8, it's actually with worse graphics since they've somehow managed to go backwards in usability and full-featuredness.

That said, it's still a bit sad that many of OSX's really fancy UI trickery is as unintuitive and obscure as it is.