Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Just add all the numbers together and that gives you the result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

MinGW posted:

MinGW may have problems with paths containing spaces, and if not, usually other programs used with MinGW will experience problems with such paths. Thus, we strongly recommend that you do not install MinGW in any location with spaces in the path name reference; i.e. you should avoid installing into any subdirectory of "Program Files" or "My Documents", or the like.
What the gently caress? For how long NTFS and Linux filesystems have supported spaces in file names again?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

quote:

use python, skrew php, php is no good.

Broken clocks, etc.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

omeg posted:

What the gently caress? For how long NTFS and Linux filesystems have supported spaces in file names again?
The only reason most things on Windows support spaces in paths is because Microsoft forced the issue by putting spaces in the name of a bunch of standard directories. A typical Linux install has zero directories with spaces in their names, so no one notices when they fail to properly quote paths.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Volmarias posted:

I'm... honestly not sure if the guy was trolling or mentally ill :psyduck:

Mentally ill and very, very good about dodging bans. You know you've made it when you have a half dozen Meta posts about you and they have to change their system to deal with your insanity.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 23, 2013

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

McGlockenshire posted:

Mentally ill and very, very good about dodging bans. You know you've made it when you have a half dozen Meta posts about you and they have to change their system to deal with your insanity.

Even better, he added new poo poo on top of one of the deleted posts before the rest of the full rant:

quote:

i want to print

* yield " they came to downvote the question, but the question was temproarily deleted by the OP, OP means ORIGINAL POSTER, but the enemy thought they were intelligent beings, they waited and waited, and ended up having to read the whole post 2 times, TWICE AS HOT, ICE ICE BABY TWICE AS HOT. you know the britney spears song? TWICE AS HOT, ICE ICE BABY TWICE AS HOT ".. *

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePVHkXD_XGE*

====================================================

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

McGlockenshire posted:

Wow.

I like how most of the posts are "just ignore him, he'll go away." If he's a schizophrenic, he's not doing it for the lulz, and he's not going to just go away when people ignore him.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Volmarias posted:

Wow.

I like how most of the posts are "just ignore him, he'll go away." If he's a schizophrenic, he's not doing it for the lulz, and he's not going to just go away when people ignore him.

As opposed to doing what else? Tracking them down and somehow getting them sectioned? I don't think it's very easy for them to do anything about it other than trying to stop the person from doing too much damage to their site.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hammerite posted:

As opposed to doing what else? Tracking them down and somehow getting them sectioned? I don't think it's very easy for them to do anything about it other than trying to stop the person from doing too much damage to their site.

I guess just tell people that he's mentally ill and not to engage him.

I do like the idea of writing a filter explicitly for him since he's predictable.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I like the idea of not being a bigoted jerk and just letting him post, myself.

e: :can:

xtal fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 24, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Plorkyeran posted:

The only reason most things on Windows support spaces in paths is because Microsoft forced the issue by putting spaces in the name of a bunch of standard directories. A typical Linux install has zero directories with spaces in their names, so no one notices when they fail to properly quote paths.

That's not a good excuse, especially for such a mainstream project like mingw

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Munkeymon posted:

Broken clocks, etc.

php is not necessarily reliable even just an indeterminate twice a day

TheFreshmanWIT
Feb 17, 2012
A coworker of mine has written a TON of code like this. Nearly every method he writes uses this same goofy pattern, all in C++. Note that I'm pseudocoding most of it since I don't have any code in front of me:

code:

int Class::method()
{
    int errorCode=S_OK;

do
    {
        if(!Foo())
        {
            errorCode=S_ERROR1;
            break;
        }

** DO STUFF

if(!Bar())
        {
            errorCode=S_ERROR2;
            break;
        }

** DO STUFF

if(!Other())
        {
            errorCode=S_ERROR3;
            break;
        }

** DO STUFF

if(!Crap())
        {
            errorCode=S_ERROR4;
            break;
        }

}while(false);

** do cleanup stuff

return errorCode;
}

It is infuriating. He clearly is unwilling to do a multiple exit, and instead has put together this incredibly crazy code pattern. Nearly every function/method he writes ends up having a do/while(false) loop in it, solely so he can implement a poor-man's goto:end.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

TheFreshmanWIT posted:

It is infuriating. He clearly is unwilling to do a multiple exit, and instead has put together this incredibly crazy code pattern. Nearly every function/method he writes ends up having a do/while(false) loop in it, solely so he can implement a poor-man's goto:end.
That's what happens when people who've heard of "Go To Statement Considered Harmful" are unwilling to read and understand the letter itself.

mjau
Aug 8, 2008
That, and being more familiar with C than C++, probably. If the cleanup's nontrivial and mostly the same for every case, I think it's better to put it all in a common block rather than duplicating it for every return. I'd use gotos instead of abusing do while though, and of course in C++ you can use stack objects for automatic cleanup.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

TheFreshmanWIT posted:

A coworker of mine has written a TON of code like this. Nearly every method he writes uses this same goofy pattern, all in C++. Note that I'm pseudocoding most of it since I don't have any code in front of me:

code:
int Class::method()
{
    int errorCode=S_OK;

if(Foo())
    {
        ** DO STUFF

if(Bar())
        {
            ** DO STUFF

if(Other())
            {
                ** DO STUFF

if(Crap())
                {
                    // Success
                }
                else // !Crap
                {
                    errorCode=S_ERROR4;
                }

}
            else // !Other
            {
                errorCode=S_ERROR3;
            }
        }
        else // !Bar
        {
            errorCode=S_ERROR2;
        }
    }
    else // !Foo
    {
        errorCode=S_ERROR1;
    }

** do cleanup stuff

return errorCode;
}
You're welcome :smug:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

QuarkJets posted:

"mainstream" is a very odd choice of word to describe mingw. They do not exactly have the manpower to audit the GNU userland for issues with spaces and then either convince people who believe that you shouldn't use spaces in paths anyway to accept the fixes or continue to maintain a bunch of patches.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Mingw consists mostly of windows ports of GNU utilities that they are not the maintainers for. So the excuse is more like "we don't have time to go through every one of the programs to find out exactly which ones can't be arsed to quote $0 properly and then convince upstream to fix them", which I think is perfectly reasonable.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Mingw consists mostly of windows ports of GNU utilities that they are not the maintainers for. So the excuse is more like "we don't have time to go through every one of the programs to find out exactly which ones can't be arsed to quote $0 properly and then convince upstream to fix them", which I think is perfectly reasonable.

Instead of saying "we don't support spaces" it would be better to support spaces and then say "we support spaces, but other projects might not support spaces, in which case it's not our fault if your poo poo breaks".

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 25, 2013

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Instead of saying "we don't support spaces" it would be better to support spaces and then say "we support spaces, but other projects might not support spaces, in which case it's not our fault if your poo poo breaks".

I think you do not understand what mingw is or something.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

That's what they said though. Specifically "MinGW may not work with paths containing spaces" - they probably do fix whatever obvious poo poo that they find, but unless you use MinGW as a digital paperweight then you will probably introduce external packages in the process of compilation. They cannot possibly know what you'll throw into it so they make a disclaimer. It's all they can do.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Plorkyeran posted:

I think you do not understand what mingw is or something.

Maybe, I only use mingw for cross compiling Linux projects into Windows environments

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Plorkyeran posted:

Windows programs support spaces in paths because users use them in paths, and all the explanations of why they shouldn't sound dumb to anyone who's not indoctrinated into the mainframe user experience.

And it happens that a lot of GNU package maintainers are so indoctrinated. Which is the real horror.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 25, 2013

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Not to mention the joy of using non case-sensitive names & using any type of slash you happen to be bothered to use.
To a user, why should you have to care? Does the other slash have a mystical meaning that cannot be inferred contextually?

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

OzyMandrill posted:

Not to mention the joy of using non case-sensitive names & using any type of slash you happen to be bothered to use.
To a user, why should you have to care? Does the other slash have a mystical meaning that cannot be inferred contextually?

Why would anyone expect / and \ to be interchangeable? They don't really look alike. Do these same people expect l I and | to be valid substitutes as well, because they're all strait vertical lines? Why do I need type file names at all? Can't the computer just infer what file I want from context?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Nippashish posted:

Why would anyone expect / and \ to be interchangeable? They don't really look alike. Do these same people expect l I and | to be valid substitutes as well, because they're all strait vertical lines? Why do I need type file names at all? Can't the computer just infer what file I want from context?

Unfortunately, I have seen people use / and \ interchangeably far too many times, in coding context. Like, "Use the /i tag" when they mean "the \i tag". I also see people use \ in prose (outside coding context) to list alternatives even though it's / everywhere. It would seem some people really can't tell the difference between the two.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Nippashish posted:

Why would anyone expect / and \ to be interchangeable?

On Windows, they are, and intentionally. DOS was modelled after CP\M which used forward slashes to denote options. When DOS added subdirectories, they couldn't use forward slashes as path delimiters (because otherwise cp /a /b would be ambiguous) so they picked backwards slashes.

Windows NT added a tiny bit of POSIX compatibility as a result of government system requirements, and added path normalization as a feature. You can write paths like C:/butts\farts/\/whatever and the filesystem APIs understand it fine.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

But as a warning, you must absolutely never rely on the interchangeability - it doesn't exist. What works in one MS application does not work in others. Always use the relevant direction of slash or face being a coding horror to the next person who encounters your touch.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
There are no words to describe the despair when you first hear someone say, with all seriousness, the phrase "forward backslash."

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

There are no words to describe the despair when you first hear someone say, with all seriousness, the phrase "forward backslash."

Ahaha oh my god :popcorn:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

But as a warning, you must absolutely never rely on the interchangeability - it doesn't exist. What works in one MS application does not work in others. Always use the relevant direction of slash or face being a coding horror to the next person who encounters your touch.

It's implemented at the filesystem driver level, so unless something is trying super hard to prevent you from using forward slashes, it should just work.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

On the other hand, ¥ as a path separator is purely a font thing.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

On the other hand, ¥ as a path separator is purely a font thing.

Why, by the way? I've noticed it a lot. It's "U+00A5". Is A5 something or?

Edit: vvv Oh neat!

Jewel fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 26, 2013

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Jewel posted:

Why, by the way? I've noticed it a lot. It's "U+00A5". Is A5 something or?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yen_sign

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_932

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

I was in a classroom where a student was asked to read a URL off the whiteboard and they painstakingly read every forward slash as a backslash. Not nearly as bad as that, though.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Ah, the yen sign. Real fun in localization starts when your software suddenly breaks when used on a Turkish locale OS though.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

omeg posted:

Ah, the yen sign. Real fun in localization starts when your software suddenly breaks when used on a Turkish locale OS though.

You probably refer to the Turkish alphabet's dotted and undotted lower-case and capital I.

So ı -> I and i -> İ

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

omeg posted:

See also: GNU make.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's implemented at the filesystem driver level, so unless something is trying super hard to prevent you from using forward slashes, it should just work.

The real horror is MAX_PATH, a gift that will keep on giving.

As runner up, I nominate varargs/va_list. No, don't update the ABI or come up with some way to know the number and types/sizes of the arguments, just make every single function and user of those functions manually keep track of two pieces of state... The metadata about the argument list and the actual arguments themselves. Why specify information once when twice will do?

Actually strike that, as far as specifying information twice goes I nominate C's headers and #include as the ultimate waste of time. How many millions of hours of programmer effort can we waste? It's a giant study, only you aren't compensated and you can't opt out until you die. And no one gets a doctoral thesis out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Ender.uNF posted:

The real horror is MAX_PATH, a gift that will keep on giving.
Thankfully you can use Unicode winapis to make use of NTFS' 32k character limit in paths, right? Right?

quote:

2010-11-16 13:25 <DIR> qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
256 File(s) 3 219 366 975 900 894 bytes
4 Dir(s) 7 938 195 456 bytes free

C:\longpath>cd qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
The filename or extension is too long.

Windows explorer flat out refuses to do anything with that folder. Can't open it, doesn't even show "Properties" or "Copy" in the context menu for it. Total Commander allows me to enter into 3 more directories but stops there. So, yeah. :eng99: