Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Malalol posted:

how do you cut masonite w/o any special tools? :\ especially round edges

Depending on how thick it is, but you could use a sharp razor knife and make several passes. It'll take a while, but without using a Skill saw or jigsaw, that's gonna be the best way, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

Malalol posted:

Simple! By... having special tools? Sorry, didn't stop to account for that. :nyoron: The workflow I had in mind accounted for having access to at least a jigsaw and hand-held power sander. Another thing I forgot about is that since masonite is fiberboard, there's a chance the cut edges might roughen or fray when you work with it. As such, that may not be the best material. Some kind of plastic sheeting may be better for your needs--- try raiding Home Depot and taking a look at "for sale" signs and the like, see if that would work with what you have in mind. On its own it might be a little floppy, but if you reinforce it with foamcore on the sides for the raised accents and such (ie: the golden parts on the main blade), that might give it some enough rigidity.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I've put a shitload of time into knitting my White Witch skirt...and I know I checked multiple times to make sure it wasn't twisted back when I first started it...

Yeah, it's twisted, and it's irreparable.

I'm so sad. I've seriously been working on this off and on for almost a year, and felt like I was finally making progress. Now it's ruined, and I just feel like crying over it :smith:

FloYo
May 5, 2013

Fatkraken posted:

Is the gold on his head meant to be fabric or metal? Do you want the eye pieces to be rigid or flexible? Hard or soft? It's hard to know how you're interpreting that illustration without further explanation

http://www.tencentticker.com/projectrooftop/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Iron-Fist.jpg

The gold on his head is fabric. I want to make the eye pieces rigid. But if there's an easy way to make it rubber so that it's flexible but still holds shape, that would be amazing.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

RazorBunny posted:

I've put a shitload of time into knitting my White Witch skirt...and I know I checked multiple times to make sure it wasn't twisted back when I first started it...

I'm so sad. I've seriously been working on this off and on for almost a year, and felt like I was finally making progress. Now it's ruined, and I just feel like crying over it :smith:

Is it feltable? If so maybe felt it and turn it into something?

Funhilde fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 22, 2013

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

RazorBunny posted:

How bad does it look? Is it just a few stitches that make it look bad? Could it be line frogged (where you drop the stitch off the needle and rip out just that row) back to correct it?

Pop in to ravelry there are some knitting help groups in threr, some genius ladies (and guys I'm sure) who are incredible knitters and might have a suggestion.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I've been working on Burning Man projects for other people. I know it isn't Cosplay but I'd like to share in any case. The dress form doesn't really represent either client but it is nicer to have pictures of things in 3-D

Punk/Tribal inspired Faux fur outfits.

This is actually something I had to finish from a Marie Antoinette themed party. I did the bride's dress and didn't get to finish this project until after the event.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

Come over to the knitting thread! We may be able to help!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

It's knitted in the round, and the whole thing is twisted like a Möbius strip. I've dealt with this before, it's not fixable, you have to start over. Believe me, I've made this mistake with projects in the round before, but I always caught it early and was able to start fresh with much less effort lost.

It's cotton yarn, so I can't felt it or anything. I'll just unravel it and reuse it, and be much more attentive this time.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Ah, that sucked so bad. I've "fixed" that by just knitting over the twisted part so just the first few rows are twisted and the rest is ok, but you have to catch it in the first couple inches.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
I got interviewed about costuming, I made a crack about prom dresses and of course thats the line the reporter uses.

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/story/2013/08/21/hamilton-fan-expo-cosplay.html

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Amykinz posted:

Ah, that sucked so bad. I've "fixed" that by just knitting over the twisted part so just the first few rows are twisted and the rest is ok, but you have to catch it in the first couple inches.

Hahahahahaha yeah...it's over a foot long. Even unraveling it is going to be a huge pain in the rear end. Shoot me now!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Thanks for all the congrats and everything, everybody! It's meant a lot. I'm still kind of reeling from the last ~month and it's kind of great to have gotten back from the con to lots of encouragement and congrats. I'm having a tough time settling on my next project partly because I'm not quite recovered from a really, really intense July of working--I'd been planning on making Gabranth from FF12 for Anime Central (May ish) then a new 40k costume for GenCon next year, but now I'm second-guessing if I want to take on 2 new giant armor projects. I don't know. Should probably give myself a little more time to recharge.

Malalol posted:

What do yall recommend for making a dagger prop? I was gunna go for foam core and then beveling the edge of it for the blade part....

so far plans, dowel or something tubey, shape modelmagic for the end. Not sure about the circle, with a painted foamcore blade : \

I would look into using sintra before I did foam core. It's the same general structure but it's plastic instead of paper so you can bevel it way easier/more cleanly and it'll have a way more resilient surface. Easy to work with, too!

Malalol posted:

And for masonite I used a coping saw before I got a scroll saw.

I Kiss Dementors
Dec 11, 2007
Two questions, guys. I'd appreciate any help ^^

1) what's the best way to cover up tattoos for cosplay? Like a shitton of makeup or something? Should I get some Ben Nye in my skin color or something? I got a tattoo on my foot this year, and most of my costumes involve my feet being covered, but I'm doing Nurse Joy from Pokemon and while my koi fish could potentially pass for a magikarp, I'd prefer it to not show at all. It shows through flesh-color tights/pantyhose by the way.

2) Do you guys have any recommendations for painting details onto fabric? I printed a stencil on really thick cardstock and there was still some bleeding around the edges. T_T We ended up having to remake the whole piece and hand-paint it. It was a big let-down. Some of you guys have done AMAZING stuff though, so I figure you might be able to help.

Also, here's a WIP shot of a wig I've been working on and I'm suuuuper proud of it so I just wanted to share ^^ This picture was taken about 1/2 way through - there's been a lot more work done. We're still in the process of gluing (and in some cases actually duct-taping) hair into place around the balls, but it's like 90% done and should be ready for Dragon Con!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I've had luck with this method (before I became a professional printer, anyway): http://craft.tutsplus.com/tutorials/printmaking/how-to-make-freezer-paper-stencils/

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

^ yep. Freezer paper stencils can't be beaten (unless you can actually screen print but still) I've done some pretty intricate designs with freezer paper stencils.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FloYo posted:

http://www.tencentticker.com/projectrooftop/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Iron-Fist.jpg

The gold on his head is fabric. I want to make the eye pieces rigid. But if there's an easy way to make it rubber so that it's flexible but still holds shape, that would be amazing.

If you get some PVA/white wood glue and mix that 1:1 with water you can soak that into fabric and it'll stiffen it up without making it completely rigid. Let it dry out completely before you test it, you might also need to soak it several times before it's rigid enough and it keeps its shape.

Someone here did a great Grifter mask using that method and they used the eye section on a rigid plastic Batman mask as a mold to give their mask the right three dimensional shape.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

Oh my goodness, that wig! You're going to be adorable!

I've heard really good things about Dermablend tattoo concealer: http://www.amazon.com/Dermablend-Leg-Body-Tattoo-Primer/dp/B003TYI632 but it's super expensive. There's also the cheaper way with makeup you probably already have: http://www.wikihow.com/Cover-a-Tattoo-With-Make-up.. Whichever way you go, make sure you powder it well before you go out and about, or everything might rub off.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

leg bones posted:

Here's one from this weekend. I need to weather everything more, because it's not showing up in photos.
Plans : slight pink dye to the sash, lightening of the vest, darkening of the breeches - and then dirty everything up with tea, coffee, and a light acrylic wash

(trigger discipline)

Hmm I saw someone post a picture with you on instagram the other day

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
So is everyone watching Syfy's 'Heroes of Cosplay' show? I honestly can't tell whether the editors are overplaying all the drama and bitchiness to make a show about people who sit at home sewing costumes for weeks more interesting, or whether things are actually that bad and they're actually underplaying all the bitchiness.

I also wish that Jesse would wash his greasy goddamned hair. :gonk:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

From what I hear it sounds like it's all scripted drama, and the people are actually on really good terms in reality.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Holly and Jessica don't even try to be convincing when they 'argue.'

leg bones
Jan 14, 2011

co-dependent villain

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

So is everyone watching Syfy's 'Heroes of Cosplay' show? I honestly can't tell whether the editors are overplaying all the drama and bitchiness to make a show about people who sit at home sewing costumes for weeks more interesting, or whether things are actually that bad and they're actually underplaying all the bitchiness.

I also wish that Jesse would wash his greasy goddamned hair. :gonk:

I, uh.. I know Jesse, and I was on the first episode very briefly. From what I understand, there's a lot of editing involved to make things more interesting/turn it into a show people will watch. I mean, those people are very into competitive cosplay, and its an activity that draws a certain type of 'driven' individual. I had a chance to speak with most of the contestants as we waited to go on stage, and they were all very nice, and not crazy. at the time, i wasn't aware of any show being filmed, so a stage with a large audience, semi-celebrity judges and large camera apparatuses put me into stage fright.

FloYo
May 5, 2013
This is my Psylocke Marvel Now cosplay for this year's Fan Expo:

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

FloYo posted:

This is my Psylocke Marvel Now cosplay for this year's Fan Expo:

I'm so mad I entered the masquerade instead of just hanging out and doing the Marvel photo shoot.
Don't enter the Fanexpo masquerade unless you're a dress maker and also want to give up most of your Saturday in a green room.

FloYo
May 5, 2013

Flanker posted:

I'm so mad I entered the masquerade instead of just hanging out and doing the Marvel photo shoot.
Don't enter the Fanexpo masquerade unless you're a dress maker and also want to give up most of your Saturday in a green room.

Aaaww man. Who did you dress up as?

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

FloYo posted:

Aaaww man. Who did you dress up as?

Beta Ray Bill

http://i.imgur.com/NkE2iEyl.jpg

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

I've seen pictures of you floating around tumblr/twitter! I remembered you were working on the mask and had some pictures up in this thread, but I don't remember seeing everything come together. It looks really great! You've got to post some close up shots of that mask, though. From what I remember, it was pretty badass. And had terrifying horse teeth.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
So as a bald man, I'm considering Lex Luthor for Halloween/conventions. Of all his varied costumes over the years the All-Star Superman variant stood out to me, since it's simplistic, iconic and just plain cool.

The purple turtleneck and pants I can probably acquire without too much effort, but the coat is proving difficult. I thought finding a men's costume trenchcoat in lime green would be easy (because hey, it's the internet!) but so far my search has been fruitless, save for a Green Hornet replica coat that's too pricey for me.

So my options are either:

A) find some costume supplier with the coloured clothes I need, or

B) buy the entire costume in white and dye it myself. While it would probably be easier to find the pieces, I've never dyed anything in my life.

Any suggestions for online vendors? Or dying tips?

Thanks muchly :)

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Just got back from Glitchcon. I am exhausted. But I wanted to share this, while I want to rework the sleeves because they are a nightmare but I wanted to share how well the center cut out worked there is actually a flesh colored mesh layer there to hold it in place. I was pretty pleased with the outcome.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Hatter106 posted:

So as a bald man, I'm considering Lex Luthor for Halloween/conventions. Of all his varied costumes over the years the All-Star Superman variant stood out to me, since it's simplistic, iconic and just plain cool.

The purple turtleneck and pants I can probably acquire without too much effort, but the coat is proving difficult. I thought finding a men's costume trenchcoat in lime green would be easy (because hey, it's the internet!) but so far my search has been fruitless, save for a Green Hornet replica coat that's too pricey for me.

So my options are either:

A) find some costume supplier with the coloured clothes I need, or

B) buy the entire costume in white and dye it myself. While it would probably be easier to find the pieces, I've never dyed anything in my life.

Any suggestions for online vendors? Or dying tips?

Thanks muchly :)

Hmm, maybe a doctor's coat as a base for this costume? A doctor's coat would have the length and collar that you need, and you could probably find one that is 100% cotton that you'd need for it to take dye. They're easy to find and you could alter it to give it the tail coats that Luthor's jacket seems to have. I also recommend checking out a site like Rit Dye's to see what kinds of fabric accept dye and what kinds won't. It will help you in your hunt for the right jacket.

If you can find the right lime green fabric and have mediocre sewing skills, you can also make that jacket pretty easily if the dye route is too harrowing.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
This years Toronto FanExpo was definitely the most exhausting one from previous years, however I think my costume turned out pretty awesome.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

So! I was asking about tinting the blue plastic sword I had before, since dye didn't work. I ended up ordering some pink headlight tinting film from eBay, and I have to say that it worked really well (seen below). I just have the tiniest raw edge and maybe two tiny bubbles under the plastic, and it only took about three attempts for me to learn the technique.

Random question: In all photos with the LEDs lit, it still looks bright blue, even though the sword is now purple and the LEDs themselves are pink. What's up with that?

That said, here's my final progress shots before Dragon Con!

Rex "Power" Colt, from Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon & LED accessories. (I will also have a Dr. Darling with me)

Jimmy Lee from Double Dragon Neon (will have Billy & Marian)

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

duros posted:

If anyone has more questions just shoot.

I'm actually curious where you got yours chromed and what it ended up costing you? The kit from Volpin is $$$ so I'm just curious how much more to figure in for the chroming too.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

PezMaster posted:

I've seen pictures of you floating around tumblr/twitter! I remembered you were working on the mask and had some pictures up in this thread, but I don't remember seeing everything come together. It looks really great! You've got to post some close up shots of that mask, though. From what I remember, it was pretty badass. And had terrifying horse teeth.

Where did you see pics?

I got Stormbreaker (the hammer/axe thing) signed by Walt Simonson, who created the character, he was super thrilled, as were some of the other staff from Marvel. Just makes me want to go more hardcore next year.

Anyway I took these for you, with bonus Frog of Thunder action

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
^Holy crap this puts my wip shot to shame.

Scrapped my original design on my Corvo mask and I think I works for the better.

fallin1 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 28, 2013

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

fallin1 posted:

^Holy crap this puts my wip shot to shame.

Scrapped my original design on my Corvo mask and I think I works for the better.

No thats the finished/mask and helmet I wore to the con :/

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Flanker posted:

No thats the finished/mask and helmet I wore to the con :/

I realized, even when mine is fully done I doubt it will anywhere near as good as what you made.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

fallin1 posted:

I realized, even when mine is fully done I doubt it will anywhere near as good as what you made.

I am overall un satisfied with it. I think your split open skull mask is way cooler.

For all the time I spent making mine, I should have gone all in and made a hard core foam latex mask or something cool like that. Probably for next year, the character was a huge hit so I'm going to build him all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Flanker posted:

I am overall un satisfied with it. I think your split open skull mask is way cooler.

For all the time I spent making mine, I should have gone all in and made a hard core foam latex mask or something cool like that. Probably for next year, the character was a huge hit so I'm going to build him all over again.

Oh hey foam latex is what that is. Was kind of a pain to cut too.