Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
I was driving through basically the "middle of nowhere" known as Albertville, Alabama the other day and looked down to see my phone wasn't on 3g anymore. Pretty impressive speeds but I imagine that's because there's only a few Sprint subscribers in that area so there's no strain. Sure gave me some hope, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

dundun posted:

For the long suffering buffalo Sprint users, my Note 2 picked up some LTE near the First Niagara Arena. I did a speed test and it was .18 mbps down which is worse than the 3g I get in Amherst so, yay?

Really? I work literally behind it and drive around it all day long, and have yet to see any kind of 4G. I'm guessing the crappy antenna on my Galaxy Nexus is showing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ninmeister posted:

Really? I work literally behind it and drive around it all day long, and have yet to see any kind of 4G. I'm guessing the crappy antenna on my Galaxy Nexus is showing.

I thought the Nexus didn't have LTE

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

Galaxy Nexus was the first sprint LTE phone.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

general chaos posted:

I had a silly question about the HTC Arrive. I remember reading a while ago that they activated for $40 per month on classic SERO ($30/month SERO + $10 premium sero fee and it somehow avoids the $10 4G data / iphone fee).

What's the cost breakdown on an adding the Arrive to an EPRP family plan?
There's no avoiding the $10 Premium Data on an EPRP plan. So if you have the standard $59.99/mo Everything Data plan, you'd be tacking an extra $10 onto that for a total of $69.99/mo.

TheReverend posted:

Te EPRP site isn't working well for me. Whats the cost and best plan for 2 people, unlimited talk and data (or at least 5 GB data)?
You really don't need unlimited talk. All plans have unlimited mobile-to-mobile (to any mobile carrier).
And there's no 5GB data plan. Only unlimited or 1GB w/ unlimited talk.

So you'd get two of those $69.99 lines I just mentioned to the other person above. $139.98 for two lines.

If you really really need unlimited talk for landlines or whatever, your options are:
Unlimited, My Way, Unlimited Data: $150/mo
Unlimited, My Way, 1GB per line: $130/mo

IOwnCalculus posted:

Amazing. What blows my mind is that Sprint's 3G coverage here is still poo poo - at a friend's house a few miles away, and actually closer into town than my place, I wasn't even getting 1X.
That sweet sweet 850MHz SMR signal still needs to be turned on in a lot of places. :(

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

PREYING MANTITS posted:

I was driving through basically the "middle of nowhere" known as Albertville, Alabama the other day and looked down to see my phone wasn't on 3g anymore. Pretty impressive speeds but I imagine that's because there's only a few Sprint subscribers in that area so there's no strain. Sure gave me some hope, though.

I'm getting a kick out of all the places in rural Alabama that I've got LTE so far. It's also on my street in Calera, but it only works in my backyard. when I get a few feet from my house it goes away.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

td4guy posted:

That sweet sweet 850MHz SMR signal still needs to be turned on in a lot of places. :(
So true, only one tower has it here in the Atlanta/Athens market. I wonder how long it's going to take them to get LTE in that band finally, it would certainly help me at work.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

dundun posted:

For the long suffering buffalo Sprint users, my Note 2 picked up some LTE near the First Niagara Arena. I did a speed test and it was .18 mbps down which is worse than the 3g I get in Amherst so, yay?

Give it some time. They've probably still messing with the towers.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dexo posted:

You may be thinking about the Nexus 4, which technically has LTE functionality but it's a terrible antenna on a band nobody uses.

Also if someone is using a Nexus 4 on Sprint they're probably a very frustrated person.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Sprint turned on LTE in my BFE Ohio location. It was formerly a WiMax site. No clue why.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

ninmeister posted:

It was right at the last train station, it was a pretty small pocket of 4g because after I traveled beyond the hsbc tower it reverted back to 3g.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
The Wall Street Journal released an incredibly useful online calculator thing:
http://graphics.wsj.com/PhonePlan/?mg=inert-wsj

Since losing my obscene discount, I'm strongly considering a switch to T-Mobile, and this seems to back up that idea pretty well. Sprint just isn't all that economical for a data heavy family share plan. :(

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

brc64 posted:

The Wall Street Journal released an incredibly useful online calculator thing:
http://graphics.wsj.com/PhonePlan/?mg=inert-wsj

Since losing my obscene discount, I'm strongly considering a switch to T-Mobile, and this seems to back up that idea pretty well. Sprint just isn't all that economical for a data heavy family share plan. :(

Just make sure to check their service (for real, not with service maps) before you do. I was considering switching, and their service map said I should be fine, but I bought a cheapo phone to try the service before switching, and it was horrible.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
So I'm trying to activate my new S4. Hands free doesn't work, it just times out. Sprint.com/activate doesn't work, it just gives me a nondescript error and tells me to either call *2 or make an appointment in a Sprint store. *2 apparently is loving closed and they want me to call during normal business hours. When I look up their hours, it says they're open until Midnight central time, what? Customer Support chat on the website is nowhere to be found.

Why the hell is it so hard to activate a device on this stupid network? To make matters worse, it apparently won't ever activate over an Airrave connection, it doesn't even try.

Edit: I was planning on rooting this thing anyway, will there be any issues activating it in-store or with a rep or whatever if I'm running rooted stock?

Edit 2: So I finally got a hold of a chat support rep, they transferred me twice, then booted me from the system because they're apparently closed. What the gently caress Sprint?? I've never had this much trouble activating a phone on any carrier. This is so loving stupid.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 20, 2013

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

Matlock posted:

Sprint turned on LTE in my BFE Ohio location. It was formerly a WiMax site. No clue why.

Where out of curiosity?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Nnep posted:

Where out of curiosity?

ZIP 44663

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Network Vision update (counts are since 7/28):

Approximately 2,560 updated sites since our last status update: Shentel (168), West Michigan (105), Minnesota (84), Kansas (76), Nashville (68), Atlanta/Athens (66), New York City (60), North Wisconsin (56), Missouri (55), Philadelphia Metro (54), Washington DC (53), East Michigan (51), Orlando (50), Houston (49), South Carolina (49), LA Metro (47), San Diego (47), Colorado (44), Pittsburgh (43), Oklahoma (40), Boston (39), Riverside/San Bernardino (39), West Texas (38), Columbus (37), East Kentucky (34), Tampa (34), Georgia (33), Jacksonville (33), Las Vegas (33), Northern Jersey (32), Miami/West Palm (31), Phoenix (31), Raleigh/Durham (31), Milwaukee (30), Arkansas (27), Oregon/SW Washington (25), Upper Central Valley (25), Alabama (24), Austin (24), Central Pennsylvania (24), Memphis (24), New Orleans (24), Baltimore (22), Cincinnati (22), Long Island (22), Louisiana (21), Buffalo (20), DFW (20), GA/SC Coast (20), Cleveland (19), South Texas (19), Southern Jersey (19), Central Jersey (18), Indianapolis (18), South Bay (18), Winston/Salem (18), SF Bay (17), East Iowa (16), Chicago (15), Utah (15), VT/NH/ME (15), Southern Connecticut (14), Upstate NY East (14), West Kentucky (14), East Texas (13), West Washington (13), Myrtle Beach (12), Charlotte (11), Mississippi (11), Orange County (11), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (10), Central Illinois (9), San Antonio (9), The Panhandle (9), Upstate NY Central (9), West Iowa/Nebraska (9), Central Iowa (8), Lower Central Valley (8), Northern Connecticut (8), Rochester (8), South West Florida (8), Albuquerque (7), Inland Northwest (7), Tucson/Yuma (7), Providence (6), Dakotas (5), Gulf Coast (5), Toledo (5), Delaware (3), PR/VI (3), West Virginia (3), Norfolk (2), North LA (2), Idaho (1), Richmond (1).

Highlights this update: First sites accepted in the Dakotas and West Virginia markets. First LTE sites accepted in the Phoenix, Buffalo, Rochester, Northern Connecticut, Idaho and East Iowa markets.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
I can't find the old Google Voice thread... so I guess this might be close enough?

I've been trying to port my Google Voice number to another email address since February, with no help from tech support since about April. Since the last time they fiddled with it, the Sprint integration quit working so it acted like Google Voice on every other carrier. Main problem with that being that when I text other people who have GV, it shows their (202)###-#### reply to Voice number instead of the one I messaged.

I finally decided to bite the bullet, and unlocked my Google Voice number to port out. What's the best way to get it so I can port it back into the Google Account I wanted it in?

I know I have to port it to something else first, that has the ability to port out also, but I'm not sure if buying a prepaid phone that I won't use for anything else is the best option, or if there was some service online that is basically designed for people to port their number in, and back out.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

uapyro posted:

I can't find the old Google Voice thread... so I guess this might be close enough?

I've been trying to port my Google Voice number to another email address since February, with no help from tech support since about April. Since the last time they fiddled with it, the Sprint integration quit working so it acted like Google Voice on every other carrier. Main problem with that being that when I text other people who have GV, it shows their (202)###-#### reply to Voice number instead of the one I messaged.

I finally decided to bite the bullet, and unlocked my Google Voice number to port out. What's the best way to get it so I can port it back into the Google Account I wanted it in?

I know I have to port it to something else first, that has the ability to port out also, but I'm not sure if buying a prepaid phone that I won't use for anything else is the best option, or if there was some service online that is basically designed for people to port their number in, and back out.

I've had success porting a number to GV from a VoIP carrier via Ting using my old, deactivated Sprint phone. GV wouldn't accept the port from the VoIP carrier when I tried it, and wanted it to come from a mobile carrier. The standard form hasn't worked for you? Did you try disabling the Sprint integration before submitting the request?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

SamDabbers posted:

I've had success porting a number to GV from a VoIP carrier via Ting using my old, deactivated Sprint phone. GV wouldn't accept the port from the VoIP carrier when I tried it, and wanted it to come from a mobile carrier. The standard form hasn't worked for you? Did you try disabling the Sprint integration before submitting the request?

Yeah, tried disabling it the first time, and disabling it and removing the phone number when I submitted it the second time after they "reset" it. I had one support post go so long that it got locked, another one that eventually they stopped responding to, and then another one that never even got a reply after a month or two. I did the standard form, and it's still stuck on "Transfer in progress."

I've done basically everything I could think of to try to get them to fix it, and tried dialing Wallet and other Google numbers that others had done and had luck with several times, only to be directed to the forum I had already posted in so many times each time.

With Ting, I could make a 0 minute, 0 message, 0 megabyte for $6 + surcharges; would this be the best way to go?
I have seen in the past a prepaid phone for about $5~$10 with a few minutes, but I haven't had any luck finding something that cheap that's also local and has minutes.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

You can use a referral link to get a $25 credit to Ting when you join, so you can leave a number with them for a couple months without paying anything. If you need a referral, mine is https://zid3ptrc02.ting.com/

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Baby Proof posted:

You can use a referral link to get a $25 credit to Ting when you join, so you can leave a number with them for a couple months without paying anything. If you need a referral, mine is https://zid3ptrc02.ting.com/

Thanks... and that was pretty awesome.

I already went ahead and signed up about an hour ago, and it still gave it to me!

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

So I'm trying to activate my new S4. Hands free doesn't work, it just times out. Sprint.com/activate doesn't work, it just gives me a nondescript error and tells me to either call *2 or make an appointment in a Sprint store.

Go into settings find activate my device. This will launch Device Self Service. What does it show? If there is an error message, what is it?

Also where did you get the device? Have you put your SIM card in it yet?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Stick100 posted:

Go into settings find activate my device. This will launch Device Self Service. What does it show? If there is an error message, what is it?

Also where did you get the device? Have you put your SIM card in it yet?

Thanks but I finally got a hold of support and they activated it today. Everything is good... aside from a consistent crashing/rebooting problem...

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Those of you losing discounts or just tired of Sprint's terrible data network really need to look into Prepaid options. Having gotten off of Sprint two months ago and going prepaid with an unlocked GPe GS4 I *REALLY* wish someone would have convinced me to try this ages ago. It doesn't matter if you have an ETF, it'll still be cheaper in the long run and most importantly you'll get to use your smartphone the way it was intended (with fast, reliable data.)

I pay $55 (flat with no fees/taxes) a month for 2GB of ATT LTE and unlimited voice/texts. This even includes tethering.

I was paying $71 a month before with my Sprint 25% discount but the data was almost completely worthless.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
..but but..

My SEROS!

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

ryanbruce posted:

..but but..

My SEROS!

Legacy Sero user chiming in. I signed up in '07, and even after they implemented the smart phone fee and 4g tax, its still the cheapest option at ~54 a month with 500 mins and unlimited everything else. As lovely as they have been the past 6 years, it seems Sprint is finally getting its act together in regards to closing down Nextel to free up the frequency, rolling out LTE, etc... doesn't make sense jumping ship now.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

dundun posted:

Legacy Sero user chiming in. I signed up in '07, and even after they implemented the smart phone fee and 4g tax, its still the cheapest option at ~54 a month with 500 mins and unlimited everything else. As lovely as they have been the past 6 years, it seems Sprint is finally getting its act together in regards to closing down Nextel to free up the frequency, rolling out LTE, etc... doesn't make sense jumping ship now.

Do SERO users still get 2 year device subsidies and everything? Not that it really matters.

Sprint was supposed to be fixed 2 years ago and it never happened. I've been paying monthly for a service I can't (effectively) use. The promise of them getting better has been lingering for ages. I was picking up LTE on my Sprint GNex before I finally abandoned the network. Guess what? It's garbage on 2400mhz, penetration wise, just like WiMax was. It was also slow (for LTE.) On top of that Sprint is only utilizing 5mhz wide LTE channels instead of 10 like ATT and Verizon. And yes, they are JUST NOW shutting down Nextel's 800mhz spectrum to free it up for LTE... given their track record, how long do you think it will be before you, forum user dundun, has a phone capable of using that spectrum in a market that has it utilized. 2015? Maybe.

Meanwhile you will be able to buy the unlocked Nexus 4 successor that is coming out in 2 months for $300, pay $55 a month to use it on fast/reliable 10mhz wide LTE channels that you can tether to, have a fully unlocked phone that works internationally, and get a device free of "Sprint Navigator" that gets updates as they are released.

Unlimited data? What a joke.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jensen posted:

Do SERO users still get 2 year device subsidies and everything? Not that it really matters.

Sprint was supposed to be fixed 2 years ago and it never happened. I've been paying monthly for a service I can't (effectively) use. The promise of them getting better has been lingering for ages. I was picking up LTE on my Sprint GNex before I finally abandoned the network. Guess what? It's garbage on 2400mhz, penetration wise, just like WiMax was. It was also slow (for LTE.) On top of that Sprint is only utilizing 5mhz wide LTE channels instead of 10 like ATT and Verizon. And yes, they are JUST NOW shutting down Nextel's 800mhz spectrum to free it up for LTE... given their track record, how long do you think it will be before you, forum user dundun, has a phone capable of using that spectrum in a market that has it utilized. 2015? Maybe.

Meanwhile you will be able to buy the unlocked Nexus 4 successor that is coming out in 2 months for $300, pay $55 a month to use it on fast/reliable 10mhz wide LTE channels that you can tether to, have a fully unlocked phone that works internationally, and get a device free of "Sprint Navigator" that gets updates as they are released.

Just to clarify, Sprint LTE is on 1900MHz. Still higher than the others of course. And SERO users get subsidies for now.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

Jensen posted:

Those of you losing discounts or just tired of Sprint's terrible data network really need to look into Prepaid options. Having gotten off of Sprint two months ago and going prepaid with an unlocked GPe GS4 I *REALLY* wish someone would have convinced me to try this ages ago. It doesn't matter if you have an ETF, it'll still be cheaper in the long run and most importantly you'll get to use your smartphone the way it was intended (with fast, reliable data.)

I was paying $71 a month before with my Sprint 25% discount but the data was almost completely worthless.

I just broke down and purchased a AT&T myfi hotspot - I got tired of not being able to use my iPhone worth a drat. I just did a road trip from North Carolina to Maine and the only place where LTE worked great was Boston. I would get no service on stretches of the New Jersey Turnpike...near exit 9. Not exactly reassuring me.

Maybe by 2015 Sprint will have a data network able to handle my needs. Till then, I can deal with a 5gb cap and paying AT&T separately - I can write it off since I use it for work at least.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

bigtom posted:

I just broke down and purchased a AT&T myfi hotspot
Yeah, I have a Verizon hotspot because my house is in a spot with no cable/dsl service available and recently said 'gently caress it' and started tucking it in my bag to use with my Sprint phone.

loving world of difference, it's amazing.
The Sprint network is amazing when you, you know, use the data from another provider through their device instead.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Duckman you're right on the spectrum. My mistake. It's still fairly high and had bad building penetration in my testing.

Jensen fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 22, 2013

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Well, after killing my Galaxy Nexus by accident yesterday (best accident ever), I picked up an S3. Now I'm seeing all sorts of 4G in downtown Buffalo. I can confirm that it's running balls slow. But it's there!. It's beautiful.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

Jensen posted:

When I was in NYC for a week, Queens and most of Manhattan had pretty fast LTE. Granted it might not be as fast as the competitors, but if I can load a HD youtube video quickly I'm pretty content.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Maybe y'all shouldn't have bought Ferraris if the roads weren't yet paved. Just sayin'.

keepin' my Touch Pro2 forever

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

td4guy posted:

Maybe y'all shouldn't have bought Ferraris if the roads weren't yet paved. Just sayin'.

keepin' my Touch Pro2 forever

That road ain't getting paved anytime soon anyway so why suffer the bumps in a Yugo?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

The Entire Universe posted:

That road ain't getting paved anytime soon anyway so why suffer the bumps in a Yugo?

Probably because that Yugo costs him $30 a month.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Is sprint down everywhere right now? Downdetector map shows like every major city in the US.

Sprint in Miami is completely down. Can't make or receive calls.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gozinbulx posted:

Is sprint down everywhere right now? Downdetector map shows like every major city in the US.

Sprint in Miami is completely down. Can't make or receive calls.

Works in Detroit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.
Still up in DC