Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Redneck torture family, eh? eh? Sure are alot of genre films about those huh guys?

And Soon the Darkness
Ax 'Em
Cabin Fever
Carver
Children of the Corn
Chernobyl Diaries
Deliverance
The Devil's Rejects
Don't Go in the Woods
Eaten Alive
Eden Lake (for Oop North)
The Final Terror
Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th Part 2
Friday the 13th Part III
Friday the 13th (2009)
Frontier(s)
Hatchet
House of 1000 Corpses
House of Wax (2005)
The Hills Have Eyes
I Drink Your Blood
I Spit on Your Grave
Jeepers Creepers
Joy Ride
Just Before Dawn
Madman
Man-Thing
Monster Man
Motel Hell
Motor Home Massacre
The Nail Gun Massacre
Pumpkinhead
Severance
Sick Girl
Straw Dogs
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre 1974
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Leatherface The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III
Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Next Generation
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Beginning
Texas Chainsaw 3 D
Tucker And Dale Vs Evil
Two Thousand Maniacs!
Violent poo poo
Venom
The Woman
Wrong Turn

I may have missed a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
How do you equate global conspiracy to redneck torture family?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Tucker And Dale Vs Evil

I may have missed a few.

You have never seen this movie if you put it on that list.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

synthetik posted:

It's a parody/subversion of the genre.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Aug 23, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
My favorite detail in Cabin in the Woods personally was when Dana first encounters "Fornicus" during the whole cube scene. There's this musical sting there, that sounds absolutely nothing like the rest of the score. What it does sound strikingly like, is Christopher Young's soundtrack to the original Hellraiser, which Fornicus is obviously a reference to. That music alone had me cackling inappropriately in the theater.

Also, fun fact: Apparently different monsters were made by different special effects teams, right? The girl I was dating at the time was close friends with the guy who made the unicorn, which was reason enough for her to want to go.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Do fans of Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead ignore Paul? I remember seeing that film and thinking it didn't come anywhere close to their usual stuff. It's actually got me pretty soured to the idea of seeing World's End. Did I just not get Paul?

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Bavius posted:

Do fans of Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead ignore Paul? I remember seeing that film and thinking it didn't come anywhere close to their usual stuff. It's actually got me pretty soured to the idea of seeing World's End. Did I just not get Paul?

Paul isn't one of the Edgar Wright movies, so it has a different style.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

And Soon the Darkness
Ax 'Em
Cabin Fever
Carver
Children of the Corn
Chernobyl Diaries
Deliverance
The Devil's Rejects
Don't Go in the Woods
Eaten Alive
Eden Lake (for Oop North)
The Final Terror
Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th Part 2
Friday the 13th Part III
Friday the 13th (2009)
Frontier(s)
Hatchet
House of 1000 Corpses
House of Wax (2005)
The Hills Have Eyes
I Drink Your Blood
I Spit on Your Grave
Jeepers Creepers
Joy Ride
Just Before Dawn
Madman
Man-Thing
Monster Man
Motel Hell
Motor Home Massacre
The Nail Gun Massacre
Pumpkinhead
Severance
Sick Girl
Straw Dogs
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre 1974
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Leatherface The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III
Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Next Generation
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Beginning
Texas Chainsaw 3 D
Tucker And Dale Vs Evil
Two Thousand Maniacs!
Violent poo poo
Venom
The Woman
Wrong Turn

I may have missed a few.

Yeah, exactly. You'd have be be living in...heheh, a Cabin In The Woods if you think that pointing out that sort of thing is clever and not obvious to anyone.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

synthetik posted:

You've forgotten the back story of the college boy who ends up being the killer. His "father" was killed and his mother raped by an actual redneck torture family, and he inadvertently continued their tradition.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Yeah, exactly. You'd have be be living in...heheh, a Cabin In The Woods if you think that pointing out that sort of thing is clever and not obvious to anyone.

Yeah, seriously, I couldn't stand the whole moving being about that torture family. If they ever decide to do a sequel, they should focus on the organization a little bit instead. Like, what are their motives? How does the torture family tie in?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

I must be the only person who thought The Cabin In The Woods had nothing novel or interesting to say about the genre at all. Redneck torture family, eh? eh? Sure are alot of genre films about those huh guys?

did you even finish watching the movie

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I like to imagine that this is an irony contest and nobody's actually being a dope about how great Cabin in the Woods is.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Riptor posted:

did you even finish watching the movie

Yeah.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Is it possible that you... hate fun?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Cabin in the Woods wasn't really subversive though. It makes fun of horror movie tropes and then just straight up uses them, so what exactly is it being subversive of?

''Ha ha horror movies are silly, they sometimes show tits. So we're gonna show tits too, but ironically! Honest! And other horror movies have gore. So we'll also show a bunch of gore. Man, horror movies are dumb.''

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

Is it possible that you... hate fun?

No, I liked the film. I even watched it twice. I just thought that it shouldn't be commended for its subversion of the genre when the stuff it was pointing out was obvious to literally anyone who likes horror movies at all. It's not some sort of masterful satire by any stretch of the imagination.

ravenkult posted:

Cabin in the Woods wasn't really subversive though. It makes fun of horror movie tropes and then just straight up uses them, so what exactly is it being subversive of?

''Ha ha horror movies are silly, they sometimes show tits. So we're gonna show tits too, but ironically! Honest! And other horror movies have gore. So we'll also show a bunch of gore. Man, horror movies are dumb.''

Exactly, this guy gets it.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

So I just watched Cabin in the Woods because of this thread and it basically seemed like a combination of Cube, Evil Dead and the SCP stories all crammed together. Far from original or all that subversive but a fun take on the genre none the less. Definitely worth a watch.

I loved the It and Hellraiser cameos.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
The Ancient Gods are us, the corporation is Hollywood. Hollywood uses a library dumb horror tropes to entertain and appease us in the same way the mysterious company has a zoo of monsters to unleash on their stereotypical victims, in order to appease the gods. The company even forced those characters into roles they don't actually fit into, by chemically altering them and their environment, which is examining how dumb the stereotypes are in the first place. (The Fool is the smartest person in the movie, the Athlete has a scholarship, the Scholar is the new athlete, the Whore is in a committed relationship, and the Virgin isn't a virgin.)

It's kinda hard not to make commentary on that stuff without including that stuff in the movie, though. I'm curious how else would it be done? How can you subvert something without mentioning it or showing it being subverted?

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

No, I liked the film. I even watched it twice. I just thought that it shouldn't be commended for its subversion of the genre when the stuff it was pointing out was obvious to literally anyone who likes horror movies at all. It's not some sort of masterful satire by any stretch of the imagination.

I kindof agree, but there's so much to love in that movie it doesn't take away from it at all, imo

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

VoidBurger posted:

The Ancient Gods are us, the corporation is Hollywood. Hollywood uses a library dumb horror tropes to entertain and appease us in the same way the mysterious company has a zoo of monsters to unleash on their stereotypical victims, in order to appease the gods. The company even forced those characters into roles they don't actually fit into, by chemically altering them and their environment, which is examining how dumb the stereotypes are in the first place. (The Fool is the smartest person in the movie, the Athlete has a scholarship, the Scholar is the new athlete, the Whore is in a committed relationship, and the Virgin isn't a virgin.)

It's kinda hard not to make commentary on that stuff without including that stuff in the movie, though. I'm curious how else would it be done? How can you subvert something without mentioning it or showing it being subverted?

It's more a case of "Didn't you know this stuff was dumb already?" You did, which is why you think the movie is great, it's agreeing with you. What's good about the film is not that it says anything novel, it's that it says alot of things at once you already knew. I doubt that anyone seriously learnt anything about the horror genre they didn't know prior.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I don't recall anyone but you saying that Cabin was trying to be novel. It wouldn't work at all if there wasn't a massive and trope-ridden catalog of slasher/horror flicks. I honestly think you're kind of missing the point of the film if you expect it to teach you anything.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

VoidBurger posted:

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Exactly, this guy gets it.

My favorite part of the film is when the football player drives the motorcycle into the invisible wall.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The Cabin in the Woods was a lot of fun, but I think I was let down a bit because I was expecting some crazy twist at the very end, but instead Sigourney Weaver (which, truth be told, was an awesome cameo) just came out and told me everything I'd figured out a half hour ago.

I'd still definitely recommend watching it, the whole Purge scene is a blast, but for me it was a little overhyped and didn't get into the nuts and bolts of the corporation quite enough.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

It's more a case of "Didn't you know this stuff was dumb already?" You did, which is why you think the movie is great, it's agreeing with you. What's good about the film is not that it says anything novel, it's that it says alot of things at once you already knew. I doubt that anyone seriously learnt anything about the horror genre they didn't know prior.
I think you might be underestimating how many people don't think about these tropes, and went into this movie thinking it was a regular schlocky flick at first. I think it's mildly impressive that it got a theater release, because it's smarter than the movie it's pretending to be (I think I recall that most of the trailers advertised it as pretty much a straight-up dumb horror movie without any self-awareness). Audiences hate bait-n-switches like that. Hell, I saw some people walk out of Pan's Labyrinth, saying "I didn't know I'd have to read subtitles." I'm not saying that this movie enlightened anybody, I just think it reversed expectations in an entertaining and refreshing way that you don't often see often.

I think I'm impressed that any movies that are slightly-clever-things-disguised-as-dumb-things even get funded in the first place. Idiocracy is another one of those movies that we could have this exact same conversation about, cause I have a similar loving feeling towards it, because it's basically roasting/alienating the audience in its own odd way. It's smart in dumb ways and dumb in smart ways, similarly to Cabin in the Woods. I'm also a sucker for any amount of self-awareness in media, so that also predisposes me towards appreciating Cabin in the Woods more than the average movie.

N. Senada posted:

My favorite part of the film is when the football player drives the motorcycle into the invisible wall.
I also like this movie because you can like it for multiple reasons. I can analyze it all I want and have fun with that, or I can laugh my rear end off at Mordecai getting put on speakerphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4LBIs87F68

I don't mean to imply that it's a totally cerebral movie that you have to examine in order to like it or anything dumb like that, just that there's more than one way to appreciate it (and I think I appreciate it in most of those ways.)

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Sagebrush posted:

Defibrillators shock the heart and temporarily "reset" it, knocking out any irregular shaking or quivering motion ("fibrillation") in the hopes that when the heart restarts it will be beating normally and start pumping blood again. A defibrillator will probably throw a healthy person to the floor and/or knock them out, but if their heart isn't otherwise unhealthy it will just start beating normally again in seconds.

The guy in Breaking Bad stuck one of the electrodes in his mouth, though, so the charge would probably go at least partly through his brain and that can't be good for you.

(One of the things that comes up in the Irrationally Irritating thread is the use of defibrillators on people with no heartbeat whatsoever...they don't fix that. They fix http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventricular_fibrillation)

What bothered me the most about that scene is simply the fact that AEDs don't work unless they detect V-fib. You can't just stick it on something and press shock. So many people are incapable of recognizing when one is actually needed that they have automatic safety measures to keep them from shocking someone or is just asleep or has a concussion or something.

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

It's not some sort of masterful satire by any stretch of the imagination.

Satire? It's an homage.

Not everything has to be ironic to be clever, you know.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Cabin in the Woods is a great comedy and very funny with a lot of good jokes but it's a pretty garbage horror movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

N. Senada posted:

That we'd already seen, which destroyed any hint of suspense or excitement. Cabin in the Woods was a movie about how predictable horror movies are that fell victim to its own conceit.

Also, Joss Whedon needs to either stop casting his friends or get some friends who can act.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
The reason all the L4D2 characters were in the boxes is that there was a planned Cabin in the Woods campaign to be released for l4d2 alongside the movie, where you go from the woods down into the facility ending at the sacrificial altar place. Unfortunately MGM went backrupt and it never came to fruition but they kept the special infected in the movie because why not.

I for one was devastated because that campaign would have been loving amazing.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Jedit posted:

That we'd already seen, which destroyed any hint of suspense or excitement.
That was why it was funny, to hear the heroic music swell when we all knew he didn't have a chance. :suicide: It is a comedy movie.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Any movie whose title screen is a jump scare that occurs in the middle of a completely boring conversation is flat out telling you what to expect. That was the first of many, many laughs it got out of me.

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon

Jedit posted:

That we'd already seen, which destroyed any hint of suspense or excitement.

If we didn't know the wall was there, then the scene would have made no sense. He established it almost 40 minutes previously, so that he could refer to it later. It's like the set-up to a joke. The moment's only funny because it's exactly like the bird hitting it. It's not supposed to be suspenseful. It's supposed to be funny.

Instead of being a hero and landing the jump, he pathetically smacks into a wall like a bird on a clean window. How is that not amazing?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I guess I'll be the first to say it. I just plain didn't like Cabin In The Woods. I'm not a fan of Whedon in general, so maybe that played a part. It didn't do anything that a million other horror-comedy movies hadn't done earlier and better, but there was a whole hell of a lot of smugness about it. The guys actually working at the monitors were a nice touch, sadly the faux horror flick part of the film (which made up the bulk of the movie) was just an awful slog, and the ending was so loving dumb.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

VoidBurger posted:

That was why it was funny, to hear the heroic music swell when we all knew he didn't have a chance. :suicide: It is a comedy movie.

Exactly, this person gets it.

I also like that there's an intern which speaks to how corporate the organization is. Hope that dude was getting college credit.

That purge sequence is perfect with netflix, just pause and rewatch to check out all of the monitors.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bavius posted:

Paul is actually the only Simon Pegg/Nick Frost movie I've seen and I thought it was pretty decent. Jason Bateman shooting a man in the chest is a very strange sight.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Henchman of Santa posted:

Paul is actually the only Simon Pegg/Nick Frost movie I've seen and I thought it was pretty decent. Jason Bateman shooting a man in the chest is a very strange sight.

Watched Paul for the first time on Video on Demand while visiting my mom and her husband. I did not have high hopes for it but I was pleasantly surprised. I despise Seth Rogen, you see, but not having to look at him goes a long way toward making him tolerable.
It wasn't what I expected, but it was a decent movie. Bought the soundtrack just to get the Bluegrass version of the Star Wars Cantina Song. Does that count as a subtle movie moment? I imagine 98% of the audience "got it" on the first go.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Due to this thread I just watched Paul, and the bit at the end where the love interest says "sorry you got killed by my dad" and Simon Pegg replies "That's fine" is the most British thing I have ever heard.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Kruller posted:

Any movie whose title screen is a jump scare that occurs in the middle of a completely boring conversation is flat out telling you what to expect. That was the first of many, many laughs it got out of me.

It stole the title screen gag from Funny Games.

Cabin in the Woods was funny but any commentary on the horror genre was completely toothless because the kind of horror movie it was a commentary on died out a generation ago. You know, when Scream came out and made all the same salient points with a fraction of the :jerkbag:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It stole the title screen gag from Funny Games.

Cabin in the Woods was funny but any commentary on the horror genre was completely toothless because the kind of horror movie it was a commentary on died out a generation ago. You know, when Scream came out and made all the same salient points with a fraction of the :jerkbag:

I'm not a big defender of Cabin in the Woods as a salient and topical commentary on horror movies, but it's stupid to discredit something for having a precedent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I just thought Cabin in the Woods was funny.

I like that the telescopic mug-bong ends up being part of the actual plot (sorta).