Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

PureRok posted:

What's weird is the JP version apparently has a narrator. So they just excised it. I wonder if they couldn't get the guy who usually does it or maybe they just felt like saving some money.

I don't get why companies don't just go to a university and get students to do the voice acting. It would cost them all of $100 for lunch probably and the kids would throw themselves at the developers to get something on their resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

The GIG posted:

Also Chen Gongs weapon is a War Scroll, which let's him summon soldiers and make friendly soldiers around him attack in formation, which seems like a pretty sweet gimmick.

That would be awesome if it worked out like Geralt from Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders :allears:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

abagofcheetos posted:

I don't get why companies don't just go to a university and get students to do the voice acting. It would cost them all of $100 for lunch probably and the kids would throw themselves at the developers to get something on their resume.

I agree, bring back DW 3 dubbing.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

The GIG posted:

I agree, bring back DW 3 dubbing.

I came running as fast as I could.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeSMpetv34M

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

5er posted:

Chen Gong features so prominently in both Cao Cao and Lu Bu's lore, I'm glad to see he's getting added. It'll be interesting to see what retarded anime trope gets festooned onto him. I'm partial to his tragic and sympathetic representation from 2010 Three Kingdoms, but I kind of expect yet another sneering, obnoxious, intellectually superior villain that will immediately remind a person of what cartoon they cribbed the personality from.

Sonata Mused posted:

Chen Gong was pretty prominently featured in Ravages of Time, so it's cool to see him added now.
This is the only right answer, really.

quote:

Chen Gong: Even in death I will be loyal to Lu Bu.
Xiahou Dun: Do you think my lord is not good enough in comparison, sir?
Chen Gong: No. He's just as bad, that's all. Thank you for your good intentions.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

So... with Chen Gong added to the roster

LUBU GETS HIMSELF A STORY!

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFA08BJUtPo

I think I watch this monthly, if not weekly.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Chen Gong, everybody.

His weapon is the "tactic scroll".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

abagofcheetos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFA08BJUtPo

I think I watch this monthly, if not weekly.
It's terrible, but I could definitely see how someone would get attached to that voice acting.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Chen Gong, everybody.

His weapon is the "tactic scroll".

He looks like such a slimy motherfucker. I hope he retains his DW6 personality,

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Pretty much the two ways to go with his personality are DW6 or Ravages of Time.
Cao Cao: But why do you stubbornly insist on burying everything you have achieved?
Chen Gong: They say Lord Cao is an able minister at peacetime an an anti-hero in wartime. Now is wartime. What would I be if I help you?

Cao Cao: Not aiding evil is your definition of loyalty?
Chen Gong: And also getting my family taken care of - that is my definition of filial piety.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
I got WO3 and played it religiously at the start of the year, it was pretty good dumb fun, is DW8 any good/how does it differ? I've never played anything other than WO3, and my main complaint was that the story was a bit crazy at times.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

If Chen Gong turns out to be a skeezy villain, especially one that can be readily compared to a specific bad guy from any given anime, I want someone to award me a gold star for calling it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
That'd be odd. In the time he's been Generic, he's always been able enough and hardly skeezy at all. I'm reminded of DW....6 or so? Where he noted that sure Lu Bu 'united the land', but didn't replace the turbulence with anything, mostly because he didn't want to.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

5er posted:

If Chen Gong turns out to be a skeezy villain, especially one that can be readily compared to a specific bad guy from any given anime, I want someone to award me a gold star for calling it.

You want a gold star for the equivalent of claiming that the sun will rise tomorrow? :geno:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Not to mention that isn't even an anime stereotype, that's just a general villain stereotype.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
All I'm saying is if Lu Bu is at least somewhat tough to kill in DW9 I totally called it and should get like a million bucks.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The GIG posted:

Not to mention that isn't even an anime stereotype, that's just a general villain stereotype.

I was just betting the point spread with that.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

OatmealRaisin posted:

All I'm saying is if Lu Bu is at least somewhat tough to kill in DW9 I totally called it and should get like a million bucks.

Over/under on Liu Bei saying benevolence: 5,000,000

I'LL TAKE THE OVER

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Konig posted:

I got WO3 and played it religiously at the start of the year, it was pretty good dumb fun, is DW8 any good/how does it differ? I've never played anything other than WO3, and my main complaint was that the story was a bit crazy at times.

It's not as silly as WO3's plot, and of course there are no Samurai Warriors characters/crossover folks here. The gameplay is a bit slower paced but the new combat mechanics have made it more interesting. Characters aren't bound to one weapon type like in WO3 either. Pick it up if you've found yourself enjoying the genre, most seem to agree that DW8 is a great improvement for the series.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I've been playing DW8 for a while but I still don't really understand the significance of some of the four traits, specifically Shadow Sprint and Dive. Do these really do anything for you? I see the shadow sometimes and I don't think I've ever actually used Dive. Could someone tell me about them?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Shadow Sprint lets you follow up attacks by pushing X/Square during a charge attack, which is kind of lackluster but has its uses. I haven't used Dive myself, but from the sound of it it may be able to get you out of enemy combos?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Gettin some serious Fragmaster vibes off this video.

Also Chen Gong has been at the top of my "Likely to be made into an officer list" ever since I got to take Lu Su off of it. With the focus on the later years of Three Kingdoms in the last couple of games it would be nice to see them fill out some more early stuff and add Liu Biao and/or Yuan Shu but I'm not sure they have enough existing buds in the unique officer roster to put them in.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I'm really hoping for Lu Lingqi, because after seeing her in Dynasty Tactics 2 I'm really interested on where they would go with her in the main series. I'm personally hoping for thuggish or rough personality because none of the existing women really go beyond "Haughty" and it'd be a waste for the child of Lu Bu not to be reckless as hell.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The GIG posted:

I'm really hoping for Lu Lingqi, because after seeing her in Dynasty Tactics 2 I'm really interested on where they would go with her in the main series. I'm personally hoping for thuggish or rough personality because none of the existing women really go beyond "Haughty" and it'd be a waste for the child of Lu Bu not to be reckless as hell.

My first outing with Dynasty Warriors was ages ago with DW4 and that was it, never played any other game. I didn't even know Lu Bu had a daughter :v:

In that case, I would like to see, mostly, her interaction with the reigning warlords and Guan Yu's children.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

I got an order here under the name "Sonata Mused?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqF8mNNelFM

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Man, why do I even buy the new games? DW3 was obviously the peak.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'This is stupid.'

Lu Bu summarizes the entire series.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

'This is stupid.'

Lu Bu summarizes the entire series.

Lu Bu goes full anime after taking some choir/orchestra lessons.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Believe me when I say that Lu Bu having sex with Diaochan in the anime version was even worse. To this day Souten Kouro still causes me to simply:
:ughh:
Ravages of Time did Lu Bu's death better. Hell, they did Lu Bu's daughter's death :qq:

Chortles fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 24, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

On the subject of Warriors Orochi 3 I was curious how people felt about it because I'm curious to try it myself. I never played Samurai Warriors and I'm aware there's a lot of characters that only appeared in the oldest DW games who also appear in WO series as well as characters from fighting games etc (and I've never touched a fighting game outside of one iteration of Soul Calibur) so would I need to research any of the past games in WO or could I jump into WO3 and have a good time as is with my moderate knowledge on DW?

Also on another series I've never tried, I was always recommended Sengoku Basara 3 (On Wii) because it was 'a fine cousin to Dynasty Warriors.' What are some people's thoughts on that one too?

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 24, 2013

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

What gets me is the horse. Why does he kill his horse, and then use the head as a weapon?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Because the horse just took a spear to the brain. It's dead already.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

But it's Red Hare. It doesn't die until Guan Yu ascends to a higher plane.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

The gently caress did I just watch?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Calax posted:

But it's Red Hare. It doesn't die until Guan Yu ascends to a higher plane.

I can't tell you, I'm not the one who had Red Hare take a spear through the head.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

Lunethex posted:

would I need to research any of the past games in WO or could I jump into WO3 and have a good time as is with my moderate knowledge on DW?

No. The WO games have less story than a cheese sandwich and, like in dynasty warriors, all the characters are just you standard anime gimmick characters who have exactly one trait and run with it.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Calax posted:

What gets me is the horse. Why does he kill his horse, and then use the head as a weapon?
That happens in the original manga too, it wasn't just made up for the anime... but it's not like that's the only insane but inane poo poo in Souten Kouro.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

I love how here he gets a ridiculously over the top death, where everyone is weeping actual rivers of tears, and in the source material he gets captured in his sleep, then gets strangled to death (a form of execution usually reserved for women.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Errr, the river itself is from the flooding of Xiapi castle... but I'm told that Japanese adaptations had a history of having Lu Bu go out fighting; Yokoyama Mitsuteru Sangokushi had him attempt to flee on Red Hare, but then go out pincushioned by Cao Army arrows.