Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

RyderNova was originally a kid friendly kid hero. Marv Wolfman wanted a more Spidey like character while Adam Warlock and Captain Marvel were tripping balls in space.

DnA's Nova was cool and all, but an essential part of the character was lost when he grew up. SamNova is easily the best teen hero right now, with only Quentin Quire from WatXM as any sort of competition.

Then we definitely like different things. I loved Wolfman Nova who grew up to be the fantastic Abnett Nova.
This kid Nova doesn't appeal to me at all. If that other guy is right & Rich is coming back, then I may start to pick it up.
Quire is a annoying character that I'm glad is not in any of the books that I pick up monthly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
It took me a while to like Sam, the major problem with the character being that he was written by Jerb Lerb as yet another dead son replacement, with all the Godawful dialogue and intensely unlikeable characterization associated with that status. But once the Lerb's fingers were prised off the character and he was written as an actual teenager rather than an obnoxious piece of poo poo, he became kind of fun. Just so long as you only read the comic book version and stay fifty feet away from his appearances in the tragically unfunny and uninteresting "Ultimate Spider-Man" cartoon. I still vastly prefer Rich, though, overall.

Now for content! From the latest Thunderbolts, issue 14, the team is Deadpool, Venom, Elektra and the Punisher, with General "Red Hulk" Ross in charge (and Samuel "The Leader" Sterns as team mascot). They're essentially going round the table and helping each other out with missions none of them can take on solo, and first up is Frank.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why's the Leader red instead of green? (And when did he go back to his top-hat-head look instead of moon-head?)

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

SynthOrange posted:

Why's the Leader red instead of green? (And when did he go back to his top-hat-head look instead of moon-head?)

And why is Venom red?

Oh my God is it literally because Red Hulk is red and he's the leader? Is Frank's skull t-shirt red too?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I think you're both ignoring the most important question: what is with Deadpool's fancy dandy hat?

So hoping the answer has something to do with Deadpool deciding to go full Zorro on their mission.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

SynthOrange posted:

Nilbop posted:

And why is Venom red?

Oh my God is it literally because Red Hulk is red and he's the leader? Is Frank's skull t-shirt red too?

Yes, Frank's skull is red. It's the team uniform, so to speak, for that exact reason. Also, the Leader is red because he got shot and in order to save his life, Ross did a blood transfusion, resulting in the classic comic book pigment shift.

As for the hat, Deadpool apparently just "found it". I guess when life gives you a cool hat, you don't question it so much.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ibntumart posted:

I think you're both ignoring the most important question: what is with Deadpool's fancy dandy hat?
He's Deadpool - why is that even a question?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Fuego Fish posted:

Yes, Frank's skull is red. It's the team uniform, so to speak, for that exact reason. Also, the Leader is red because he got shot and in order to save his life, Ross did a blood transfusion, resulting in the classic comic book pigment shift.

Before that, they used the same gamma resurrection technology on Leader that turned both Rosses into Red Hulks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It wasnt Frank that shot the Leader, was it?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

SynthOrange posted:

It wasnt Frank that shot the Leader, was it?

No, he shot the deputy.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It is Silly Hat Week at Marvel:

(edit: wow that turned out bigger than it should've)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fuego Fish posted:

It took me a while to like Sam, the major problem with the character being that he was written by Jerb Lerb as yet another dead son replacement, with all the Godawful dialogue and intensely unlikeable characterization associated with that status. But once the Lerb's fingers were prised off the character and he was written as an actual teenager rather than an obnoxious piece of poo poo, he became kind of fun.

Yo this is horribly loving wrong because Nova #1-5 were genuinely good. The transition between Loeb and Wells was seamless and it's been a fun and good book from the start.

Nova #4

The art is really good too go buy Nova.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Man, why'd they have to go and make Nova a child

I liked that other Nova guy, I'm currently reading about his adventures during the cosmic stuff right after the Annihilation arc and it's a lot of fun

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, the new Nova may or may not be good, but I wanted to read more about Dick Rider.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Endless Mike posted:

Newspaper Spider-Man is hilariously inept without needing edits.

They might not need it but they can definitely use it.
http://jaypinkerton.com/2004/06/08/spider-man-comics/

Warren Ellis reposted them back in the day because of their "brain dead glory".

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yo this is horribly loving wrong because Nova #1-5 were genuinely good. The transition between Loeb and Wells was seamless and it's been a fun and good book from the start.

I took issue with the whole "there was a super-duper-top-secret branch of the Nova Corps who wore black and used guns (because guns are cool??!?) and were so super-duper-top-secret that when literally every other Nova Corps officer in the universe died they weren't called up to serve by the giant floating head of the organization (they didn't get massacred with the rest because so cool) and then it turns out that when some kid starts flying around screaming 'I'M NOVA' nobody bats an eye because it's not like literally every other Nova Corps officer died horribly last year and then the sole remaining guy saved the universe three-and-a-half times" thing.

Also, the writing was not "genuinely good". Loeb's writing as a whole is mediocre bordering on the idiotic and, quite frankly, he needs to retire from comic books and spend a few years in therapy, because trying to reconnect with your dead son through comics is supremely unhealthy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Didn't Richard Rider rebuild the corps before dying? Or did he take the entire nova force with him into the other dimension? It's been a while.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't Richard Rider rebuild the corps before dying? Or did he take the entire nova force with him into the other dimension? It's been a while.

Yes he took it with him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

TheJoker138 posted:

Grey meets Teen Jean:

(All New X-Men 15)
Sweet costume, except why does her zipper go all the way to her perineum? I bet that chafes.

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

They might not need it but they can definitely use it.
http://jaypinkerton.com/2004/06/08/spider-man-comics/

Next week: Snowflame tries to steal Best-Man's sugar.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Sweet costume, except why does her zipper go all the way to her perineum? I bet that chafes.

I've noticed that with some female costumes/certain artists. It's a little off-putting... I've not noticed it on male costumery, either.

Oh, wait.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Because superheroes. That's always the answer.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Silk-lined leather underwear. Sexy and comfy as all hell.

A little hot though.

Alternately:

Uses telekinesis to keep the zipper from pressing against her flesh to keep her from being too powerful, much like Cable with the techno-organic virus.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I've noticed that with some female costumes/certain artists. It's a little off-putting... I've not noticed it on male costumery, either.

Oh, wait.

Of note, the cost enhancement was in fact metallic on the physical issue.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jonny Nox posted:

Silk-lined leather underwear. Sexy and comfy as all hell.

A little hot though.

Alternately:

Uses telekinesis to keep the zipper from pressing against her flesh to keep her from being too powerful, much like Cable with the techno-organic virus.

That would totally make sense given the current state of comics, that to power up to your fullest potential you've got to unzip your clothes. :wink:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Oh, wait.

I need you to update your post to the N52 version of Lobo, thanks in advance.

(Source)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

(Source)
Is that a gun-chuck on the left?

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

(Source)

That's uh. Pretty un-Lobo. Especially the other picture of him there in which he is super scrawny. Why did DC even feel the need to bring back Lobo if they essentially just completely reinvent the character - they might as well have just created a new character.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

(Source)

I kinda like this but...Lobo?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gatts posted:

I kinda like this but...Lobo?

How can you possibly like that.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

There's multiple DC threads for nu 52 Lobo discussion.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Gun-chucks are the most loving awesomely stupid idea for a weapon ever and I don't know why I haven't seen them in any martial arts movie yet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes he took it with him.

Also didn't he massively scale down the Corps right before anyway since the rebuilding stuff was mainly done by Ego and not Worldmind?

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

TheJoker138 posted:

Yes, the teen X-Men from the 60's are running around, but the entire stance on continuity right now can be totally summed up by the panel posted a few pages back from the last issue of All New X-Men where Rachel "oh god the alternate universe paradoxes burn" Grey meets Teen Jean:

(All New X-Men 15)

Oh my god, that second-to-last panel is so great.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
More Superior Foes of Spider-Man 2.

Speed Demon is campaigning hard for Character Of The Year 2013

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 24, 2013

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nova #4

The art is really good too go buy Nova.

He looks kinda like Viewtiful Joe.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Spikey posted:

He looks kinda like Viewtiful Joe.

Funny thing. In Marvel vs Capcom 3, both Joe and Nova (Rich) point this out.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Wanderer posted:

It is Silly Hat Week at Marvel:

(edit: wow that turned out bigger than it should've)

Is Assistant D.A. Kirsten McDuffie named after Dwayne McDuffie? Because that would be kinda sweet.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

TwoPair posted:

More Superior Foes of Spider-Man 15.

Speed Demon is campaigning hard for Character Of The Year 2013

*Sigh* One more to add to my pull list, along with Thor. Glad I picked up Hawkguy though.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SpiritOfLenin posted:

That's uh. Pretty un-Lobo. Especially the other picture of him there in which he is super scrawny. Why did DC even feel the need to bring back Lobo if they essentially just completely reinvent the character - they might as well have just created a new character.

Never find out what they did to Amanda Waller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

DarkCrawler posted:

Never find out what they did to Amanda Waller.

Or Etta Candy for that matter.

• Locked thread