Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

that Vai sound posted:

And now he has a new SotN Any% WR! 18:20.32
Noooooooooooo, Daicbro% is dead! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Closer and closer to 16:26, then he can stop running the game forever.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
I just want to point out that the iQue has pretty different controls to the N64, and one of the other OoT runners (ZFG maybe?) actually called them outright bad. So using an iQue isn't automatically an improvement to your time in that regard.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So uh, this is a thing.

http://i.minus.com/ibcYA3aqNsgapp.gif

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

I guess it's pretty encouraging that a relatively unattractive dude whose real-life name is Cosmo is able to "get some" but what's the relevance here?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

SevenStringGuru posted:

Sinister1 is droppin some serious knowledge on MTPO. Going through each Piston Honda 2 strat and breaking everything down going to lead up to the last strat which got him the WR. I'm always down for this type of stream! :getin:

Mike Tyson plays Mike Tyson's Punch-Out for the 1st time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E50sUAMRH0s

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Former Human posted:

Mike Tyson plays Mike Tyson's Punch-Out for the 1st time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E50sUAMRH0s

Does this mean Sinister1 has to box?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

nerve posted:

I seriously don't get why some people are so annoyed by his new record. How is it different from using the different cart versions. Speed running is about getting the fastest time, Cosmo used the best official version of the game to do that.

A lot of people got into speedrunning through a specific person (Like Cosmo, Siglemic, etc.). So a lot of it depends on whether or not their favorite streamer is being affected positively or negatively by the console difference. Take for example Hyassin getting the 120 Star record. There were huge debates about VC versus N64, does Hyassin really have the WR. A bunch of dumb poo poo like that, and most arguments weren't really "VC versus N64," but rather "Does Siglemic have the WR or does Hyassin?" The people who actually cared weren't the runners, but rather the viewers. Hell take a look at this tweet from Fake(Real) Siglemic.

Then you take a look at Cosmo getting OOT, since it was positive for him there's been a lot less debate about it even though Cosmo admitted his run is worse. If you look at the backlash from that very few people have been asking if Cosmo really has the WR now, but you can tell he doesn't care about specifically have the WR, but rather having a good time (and good viewer count).

The cult of personality does lead to bad posts like this though:

Where congratulations, Cosmowright is having sex, does that really need to get posted here? (Though whatever that random rear end video with his old girlfriend was funny, this is... not)

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

wa27 posted:

Because people aren't crazy about buying a $100 console just to have a shot at the record, obviously.

Who are these people because there are maybe 10 people in the world who could conceivably compete for the any% record right now and none of them are making GBS threads up forums and youtube comments with 0-effort poo poo like "iQue is so dumb"

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Cosmo sure has come a long way from his "I have a webcam in the closet but I think that I'd be to shy to do facecam ever. Sorry guys" days.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 23, 2013

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
The point of that .gif is that it's a Magnum (i.e. Cosmo's got a big dick)

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

getitoffgetitoff posted:

The point of that .gif is that it's a Magnum (i.e. Cosmo's got a big dick)

They're not that much bigger than normal Trojans though

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HilyOLWzrM

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
The New Speedrun Thread - They're not that much bigger than normal Trojans though

Speaking of the SRL leaderboards, has there been any news on that front? I've caught a few (but not all) of Cosmo's recent streams and I haven't heard any discussion about them.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
There's a huge thread about them over on the SDA forums:

https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/speedrun_leaderboards_discussion_topic_srl.html

It's not as active as it was a week ago, though.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

UraniumAnchor posted:

https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/speedrun_leaderboards_discussion_topic_srl.html

I was skimming the page and thought that UA was implying there was a huge thread about condoms on the SDA forums.

http://kotaku.com/this-guy-beat-ocarina-of-time-in-less-than-twenty-minut-1189078311

Surprised this hasn't been linked yet. It's pretty... interesting? It's cool to see speedrunning get more mainstream exposure but there are some objectionable things about the article. The comments are downright hilarious though.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Why did that guy who set the human powered land speed record use that crazy bike with the carbon fiber aero shell. It doesn't even look like a bike anymore, he should have used the Schwinn in my garage. Don't even get me started on salt flats, everyone knows bicycles should only be ridden on government approved highway roads.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Never read the comments.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Wadjamaloo posted:

everyone knows bicycles should only be ridden on government approved highway roads.

I don't know if that analogy really works because "legit" runs are already limited to government Nintendo approved roads consoles with no modifications/overclocking allowed.

edit: unless you were making fun of people saying "glitches don't count" in the Kotaku article. Yeah those people are dumb and it's amazing how many show up every time there's an article like that.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 23, 2013

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Romscout's sotn record got a brief writeup on joystiq today

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

wa27 posted:

I don't know if that analogy really works because "legit" runs are already limited to government Nintendo approved roads consoles with no modifications/overclocking allowed.

edit: unless you were making fun of people saying "glitches don't count" in the Kotaku article.
Just making fun of idiots in the comments. People who think their opinion matters and that they can tell other people how they are allowed to play video games.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Wadjamaloo posted:

People who think their opinion matters and that they can tell other people how they are allowed to play video games.

For a minute I thought this was about the SRL leaderboard topic.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

TheQat posted:

Romscout's sotn record got a brief writeup on joystiq today

Good for him. Romscout seems like a legit good dude and is one of the more interactive and enjoyable streamers around. Though his mic is poo poo and his volume goes crazy all the time.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

UraniumAnchor posted:

I've never seen people get so up in arms about the idea of linking to something publicly available on the internet.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Most of that is people who think that being linked to from a list on SRL somehow makes them associated with SRL and they had this one bad experience on IRC involving someone from SRL a few years ago and so they don't want to be mentioned in the same sentence as SRL.

Only slightly exaggerated.

In other news, my latest dive into XBLIG ended with me adding three new short games from there to my speedrunning repertoire: Adventures of Captain Becky and Figment I'm already running and it's all down to execution now, Parasitus: Ninja Zero I still have to figure out a fast way of beating the final stage that doesn't involve a game over and continue from the checkpoint. There's one or two more I might get into running, apart from Bleed. The game actually named Speedrunner HD I have no plans on running at the moment, though. Even though it has a grappling hook.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I don't think I can say what I think about some of that thread's discussions and crazy arguments that wouldn't be incredibly mean and probably drag me into the argument (which is the last thing I want to happen), but what I will say is that it has opened my eyes to how some of those folks perceive the community and their role/involvement in it. It has also convinced me to unfollow at least a couple of them on Twitch because of not liking their approach to the issue (not their stance, but how they handled themselves).

Personally, I am legitimately excited to submit my only speedrun times of any note and watch them sit there alone because no one else runs Mighty Bomb Jack.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

KennyMan666 posted:

Most of that is people who think that being linked to from a list on SRL somehow makes them associated with SRL and they had this one bad experience on IRC involving someone from SRL a few years ago and so they don't want to be mentioned in the same sentence as SRL.

Yeah, nerds being children on the internet. No surprise.

I think what they should probably do is make it clear if the runner in question is registered for the site. If not, how could anyone think that their time on the leaderboard is some sort of tacit approval of some mythical SRL clique that said something that maybe could be considered a little mean once. I don't understand boycotting a useful site because someone disagreed with you on irc once.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Names on the board would most likely be a link to their account if they have one, and the run would likely also say if it was submitted by someone else.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Caracarn's FFX run is having a stroke: http://www.twitch.tv/caracarnvi

Bastard Man
Nov 15, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Gamma Nerd posted:

I guess it's pretty encouraging that a relatively unattractive dude whose real-life name is Cosmo is able to "get some" but what's the relevance here?

Is his real name Cosmo? someone asked in a donation the other day what his real name was and he said it was a secret.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I don't think I can say what I think about some of that thread's discussions and crazy arguments that wouldn't be incredibly mean and probably drag me into the argument (which is the last thing I want to happen), but what I will say is that it has opened my eyes to how some of those folks perceive the community and their role/involvement in it. It has also convinced me to unfollow at least a couple of them on Twitch because of not liking their approach to the issue (not their stance, but how they handled themselves).

Personally, I am legitimately excited to submit my only speedrun times of any note and watch them sit there alone because no one else runs Mighty Bomb Jack.

You sir are crazy. gently caress that drat game. So drat hard.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Bacon Drew posted:

Is his real name Cosmo? someone asked in a donation the other day what his real name was and he said it was a secret.

Pretty sure his real name is Cosmo.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Shindragon posted:

You sir are crazy. gently caress that drat game. So drat hard.

It's not so bad, as long as you accept the fact that almost every run you attempt will be ruined by some kind of bullshit (generally involving the Round 13 Bomb Room). I've linked them before, but if you want to check out my runs, here they are:

any% in 7:53 (my best is 7:43 but it's a buggy messed up Twitch archive): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw0u4HRVhgA
Best Ending% in 13:31 (a run I actually was/still am happy with): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfhraIWT9gY

After I got tired of running MBJ, I tried to find other games that gave me the same feeling of wanting to destroy and dominate them but nothing ended up sticking. The other issue is that my laptop is poo poo, and without even looking into it I'm almost certain I can't hope to meet Twitch's new broadcasting standards with it, so I need to get a new rig sometime.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Studio posted:

A lot of people got into speedrunning through a specific person (Like Cosmo, Siglemic, etc.). So a lot of it depends on whether or not their favorite streamer is being affected positively or negatively by the console difference. Take for example Hyassin getting the 120 Star record. There were huge debates about VC versus N64, does Hyassin really have the WR. A bunch of dumb poo poo like that, and most arguments weren't really "VC versus N64," but rather "Does Siglemic have the WR or does Hyassin?" The people who actually cared weren't the runners, but rather the viewers. Hell take a look at this tweet from Fake(Real) Siglemic.

FYI Siglemic definitely does care about this crap because he had a bunch of since-deleted tweets on that account basically calling out Cosmo for being a fraud.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
The OOT any% iQue run that Cosmo did and the VC 120 runs that Hyassin and Sig did really opened up the Pandora's Box of world record-centric viewers. Which is a thousand times worse than the world-centric streamer epidemic from a while back (where so many people seemed to put "WR attempts" in their stream title that it became a joke).

CVagts fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 25, 2013

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Feasel got RNGed to hell on his FF1 run -- got to Chaos for the first time on his new route, slightly behind WR, and got a warrior oneshotted. Still, a great sign for his route.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CVagts posted:

The OOT any% iQue run that Cosmo did and the VC 120 runs that Hyassin and Sig did really opened up the Pandora's Box of world record-centric viewers. Which is a thousand times worse than the world-centric streamer epidemic from a while back (where so many people seemed to put "WR attempts" in their stream title that it became a joke).
God forbid people want to know what the world record is. Truly this will be the downfall of speedrunning.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

FYI Siglemic definitely does care about this crap because he had a bunch of since-deleted tweets on that account basically calling out Cosmo for being a fraud.

What a baby. How surprised can anyone be that in an ultra-competitive setting that some will do what they can to try to maximize their potential to succeed.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Many speedrunners are passive aggressive children. Who was that guy who got mad at I think siglemic for doing WR attempts while people were donating money to him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

God forbid people want to know what the world record is. Truly this will be the downfall of speedrunning.

That's not what the conversation is about at all, though, people are frustrated that grabbing WRs leads to instant recognition and viewership despite their debatable worth.

• Locked thread