Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Is it a cowboy brushpopper type shirt? Some of those have some weird 2 extra square feet of fabric as a flap in the back. I have no idea why and I can't find a picture of one at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Why do some men's dress shirts have a button on the back at about shoulder level, below the collar? I noticed several people in the office today with this. And it seems to sometimes have a pointless little flap of fabric fastened there, but they seem equally pointless.

You mean a hang loop and a spare button?

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
You are right about the hang/locker loop, but the button is to keep your tie from showing.

Growing up you never wanted to be the kid with the loop on the back of your shirt. Other kids would constantly pull on them and yell 'fag tag' or even try to rip them off. Its been a long time since elementary school, and I still try to avoid buying shirts with the loops.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

John McCain posted:

You mean a hang loop and a spare button?

Not a hang loop. The one I saw today was a pentagon shaped tag, with a slit for the button to fasten said tag. So it kind of looks like the below:
code:
___
| |
\O/
Where the O would be the button. I'd get a picture but no camera and GIS isn't helping. Though it does tell me that it is located on the yoke of the shirt.

Sieg posted:

You are right about the hang/locker loop, but the button is to keep your tie from showing.

Growing up you never wanted to be the kid with the loop on the back of your shirt. Other kids would constantly pull on them and yell 'fag tag' or even try to rip them off. Its been a long time since elementary school, and I still try to avoid buying shirts with the loops.

I'm not able to picture how a button on the back of your shirt prevents a tie from showing. This is a few inches below the collar. It's where a hang loop would be.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

the posted:

Looking for a good free program to take a bunch of screen captures (like 0001.png, 0002.png, ...) and output them in a movie. It also has to be at quite a custom resolution (3300x1100). Thanks.

Quicktime 7. File -> Open Image Sequence.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Is there a furniture megathread or something similar? I did some searching and skimming and found 1 thing that no one reads or replies to. That looked like the only one.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Right here, dude,
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3411978&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
it seems like every set of headphones I buy seem to end up with the same problem. The wires internally get broken or something even though there is no external damage. What's a good set of durable headphones?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Volume posted:

it seems like every set of headphones I buy seem to end up with the same problem. The wires internally get broken or something even though there is no external damage. What's a good set of durable headphones?
I was having the same problem with earbuds (I shoot video for a living, I use a pair all day, every day), and finally sucked it up and paid $120 for a pair of Sennheisers. Had a real solid feel to them, thick wires. They lasted about six months and started dropping out in one channel. (To their credit, I am rough on headphones.) They had a three year warranty, so I sent them back and they returned a new pair. This went on every six months for three or four years, until they would no longer do the exchange. I didn't feel like that system was working too well for me, so I bought a pair of well-rated headphones from MonoPrice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082303&p_id=9927&seq=1&format=2

My take is that they sound just as good, and at $7.50, I buy them three at a time and order three more when I blow through the first three. They don't feel as solid (namely, the insulation on the wires doesn't feel as thick), but they last about the same amount of time.

My experience with monoprice's headphones is that they are a little bulky and kinda cheap looking - but the earbuds are about as good as anything out there in that price range.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

CzarChasm posted:

Why do some men's dress shirts have a button on the back at about shoulder level, below the collar? I noticed several people in the office today with this. And it seems to sometimes have a pointless little flap of fabric fastened there, but they seem equally pointless.

It's so you can fasten it in to your own shirt to make office prank humping harder to escape.

Oh hey there's a whole page after that post, I have been betrayed by the forums.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Is there a collective name for insects, spiders, scorpions, and so forth?

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
Arthropod?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Volume posted:

You are probably being to rough on the connector somehow. Avoid bending the wire at a sharp angle near the connector (or anywhere) because that's what causes it usually.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Volume posted:

JVC HA-RX700. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Project1 posted:

Is there a collective name for insects, spiders, scorpions, and so forth?

Bugs.

While there are plenty of reasons that they shouldn't be grouped all together, they're still just bugs.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 24, 2013

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

Mario posted:

Arthropod?

Well, true enough, but not so many people know that one.

thrakkorzog posted:

Bugs.

While there are plenty of reasons that they shouldn't be grouped all together, they're still just bugs.

Bugs has always meant insects to me, but I suppose it's the closest fit.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Project1 posted:

Well, true enough, but not so many people know that one.

Bugs has always meant insects to me, but I suppose it's the closest fit.

It's not exactly a 1:1 fit. Pillbugs have way too many legs to be classified as insects or arachnids. So they just get lumped into the bug category.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Volume posted:

Don't they make headphones with detachable wires you can simply jack in or replace?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What do you call the audio accessory that does not go into your ear?

I always thought they were headphones, but apparently I'm wrong.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Headphones is the more-general term for things that play music close to/in your ears, though they often refer to only the over-ear variety. Earphones/earbuds go in your ears.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

tarepanda posted:

What do you call the audio accessory that does not go into your ear?

I always thought they were headphones, but apparently I'm wrong.

Lots of people use "cans" as slang for the kind of headphones you're talking about.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
In American work culture, is it normal to call people by their last name? I assume it depends on the job?

As a filthy foreigner it is always tricky to decipher which parts of American TV series are real and which are exaggerations. I ask because even in the standard cop buddy show after knowing each other for years they'll still often call each other Agent Smith or say "Smith, look here!". Where I live a first-name basis for all your coworkers and your (direct) supervisors is a lot more normal.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Namarrgon posted:

In American work culture, is it normal to call people by their last name? I assume it depends on the job?

As a filthy foreigner it is always tricky to decipher which parts of American TV series are real and which are exaggerations. I ask because even in the standard cop buddy show after knowing each other for years they'll still often call each other Agent Smith or say "Smith, look here!". Where I live a first-name basis for all your coworkers and your (direct) supervisors is a lot more normal.

In jobs where your last name is likely to be used by outsiders (police work is a good example, but so is teaching), you see the last name thing. When I was teaching, I saw coworkers who'd known each other for years say, "How's it going Mrs. Jones?" I think a lot of that was down to reflex, though - if you were mentioning Mrs. Jones to the kids (e.g. "those of you going on Mrs. Jones' field trip next week..."), you wouldn't want to call her Elaine. So it just seemed to carry over for some teachers. I have known cops who confirm that the last name thing is similarly true. I think it may also be due to carryover from sports culture, where "coach" calls everyone by last name.

In a normal office, yeah, it's pretty similar to what you're describing. You wouldn't use a last name until you get a step or two above your supervisor.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Until a few weeks/months ago you could load a video on youtube and then jump to any part easily. Now whenever you move the slider it seems to start a new load. Its like there is no caching anymore. Why is that?

\/ Cool, thanks for that!

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 24, 2013

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Until a few weeks/months ago you could load a video on youtube and then jump to any part easily. Now whenever you move the slider it seems to start a new load. Its like there is no caching anymore. Why is that?

They changed the caching system so that it loads in tiny chunks rather than all at once. I suppose it saves them bandwidth when people open tabs and don't finish the video, but it sucks when you're on a slow connection and need to pre-buffer, as well as the situation you mention.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
A recipe asks for heating something over "a brisk heat." I'm guessing it's just a little less than the hottest your hob can go but I really don't know.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Regarding YouTube buffering, you can apparently choose to disable "Dash Playback" to buffer a whole video (if you have the appropriate extension/userscript):
http://lifehacker.com/preload-entire-youtube-videos-by-disabling-dash-playbac-1186454034

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr. Squishy posted:

A recipe asks for heating something over "a brisk heat." I'm guessing it's just a little less than the hottest your hob can go but I really don't know.

Is this an old recipe? "Slow" would often mean a stove or oven that was just barely on, "quick" or "fast" would mean it turned up all the way. Brisk heat probably mean to put it at about the middle point, but a little higher.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's from '95. You just saved me from burning some oil.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

hooah posted:

Regarding YouTube buffering, you can apparently choose to disable "Dash Playback" to buffer a whole video (if you have the appropriate extension/userscript):
http://lifehacker.com/preload-entire-youtube-videos-by-disabling-dash-playbac-1186454034
Does this allow seeking to an already-buffered section without buffering it all over again?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hogburto posted:

Does this allow seeking to an already-buffered section without buffering it all over again?

No idea.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

According to this page (http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2013/08/20/why-dont-we-tip-flight-attendants/) we don't tip flight attendants because they've always been white. It's the first time I've heard racial ideas about why we tip. "We" meaning Americans, I guess. I can't dig up other references to this idea, does anybody have further information?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
That simply doesn't sound likely at all. Several airlines in areas of the US with a lot of black people would have black flight attendants, and in most places everything we do tip for would be very unlikely to have a black person working that position.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Maybe its because flights are international and Europeans are used to not having to tip because their waitstaff get paid a liveable wage, and the concept caught on.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

SIHappiness posted:

In jobs where your last name is likely to be used by outsiders (police work is a good example, but so is teaching), you see the last name thing. When I was teaching, I saw coworkers who'd known each other for years say, "How's it going Mrs. Jones?" I think a lot of that was down to reflex, though - if you were mentioning Mrs. Jones to the kids (e.g. "those of you going on Mrs. Jones' field trip next week..."), you wouldn't want to call her Elaine. So it just seemed to carry over for some teachers. I have known cops who confirm that the last name thing is similarly true. I think it may also be due to carryover from sports culture, where "coach" calls everyone by last name.

In a normal office, yeah, it's pretty similar to what you're describing. You wouldn't use a last name until you get a step or two above your supervisor.

Your teaching example is kind of funny to me, because in my small city/town (somewhere in the Netherlands) we've got 4 secondary schools, one which I went to and later taught at, but I know plenty of people from every one of them. My experience (both from my teaching at a secondary school, but also my all my other odd jobs and professions) is that it varies quite a bit from institution to institution and company to company. At the school (second biggest in town) I went to and taught at, it was pretty much unthinkable to call a teacher by their first name as a student or as a colleague within earshot of (and especially when talking to) a student. As colleagues amongst each other we'd use our first names, though, which was something I really had to get used to. For years I'd known a teacher as Mr. Smith, never even known his first name, but now I had to remember to call him Peter. At the biggest school in town, however, it was commonly accepted for everyone to call everyone by their first names, as long as it was done respectfully, of course. There's also a pretty uptight Christian school that required strictly formal addresses (I'd guess Sir or Teacher Smith as apposed to Mister, in a rough translation), and I haven't got a clue what the agricultural school does, because I never taught there, don't really know any people from there (they're all from out of town) and I honestly couldn't give a drat.

In my experience it's pretty much the same in any profession. Cultural differences can be huge on all levels, and it's not just related to the country/area/profession/whatever, although I'm sure there's certain trends, of course.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hogburto posted:

Maybe its because flights are international and Europeans are used to not having to tip because their waitstaff get paid a liveable wage, and the concept caught on.

International flights are a minority of flights, and it was especially so in the first couple decades of airlines.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I really want to know what is up with that shirt/button thing... I have never seen a shirt with a button below the collar on the back of a shirt - I've seen hang loops, but nothing close to what was described.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
If I send an email to someone (craigslist, for example) through gmail they are added to my contacts on my android phone. How do I stop it from automatically adding these people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Install Windows posted:

That simply doesn't sound likely at all. Several airlines in areas of the US with a lot of black people would have black flight attendants, and in most places everything we do tip for would be very unlikely to have a black person working that position.

I don't know if you read the linked article, but it's about historical reasons rather than current ones.