Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Powercrazy posted:

My objections are from a general societal benefit that spending literally your entire waking day, everyday, high isn't really something you should do.
Why? Should people be allowed to use anti-depressants? What about painkillers? Should we ban Benadryl too? There's absolutely nothing wrong with using THC on a daily basis. There's nothing unhealthy about it and regardless of what stereotypes you hold in your head, being "high" is not some kind of unmanageable state. For many jobs, productivity may not necessarily be a function of motor function. What's so wrong with being "high" for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Murmur Twin posted:

Your argument is that excessive cannabis use creates stay-at-home stoners who can't socialize, correct?

Nope.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Cool. So what's the issue with smoking alot?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

RichieWolk posted:

Argumentum ad populum. :rolleyes:

Still waiting on why it's a bad thing.

Because it gives the impression rightly or wrongly that people can't deal with reality and need weed and need to be high to get through the day.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Amused to Death posted:

Because it gives the impression rightly or wrongly that people can't deal with reality and need weed to get through the day.

What is wrong with being dependent on THC to be healthy. Are you against anti-depressants as well? What about someone who needs a walk outside to "get through the day". Are cigarette smokers unable to deal with reality?

It's moralizing bullshit that has no place in an argument about public policy.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Install Windows posted:

The really odd thing was the person earlier who implied being constantly drunk isn't looked down on.

Since you haven't quoted anyone, I can only assume you're arguing in bad faith.

hepatizon fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 23, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hepatizon posted:

Since you haven't quoted anyone, I guess I'll assume this is a strawman.

I'm on my phone Mr Paranoia so sorry.

veedubfreak posted:

What is funny is that if you replaced weed with beer, no one say a thing about it.

Right there bro.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

a lovely poster posted:

What is wrong with being dependent on THC to be healthy. Are you against anti-depressants as well?

This would be all fine and dandy if most of the people smoking marijuana all day long actually had some kind of serious depression. I don't find "well reality is kind of boring and better with weed" as a legitimate reason to be high all day long.

quote:

What about someone who needs a walk outside to "get through the day".

Oh hey look it's like nature isn't a drug.

quote:

Are cigarette smokers unable to deal with reality?

Cigarettes don't really alter your perception, nice try though, but yes, at the same time, anyone who has ever smoked cigarettes and then quit(or tried to) can attest to the fact, no, when smoking we really can't deal with reality without cigarettes because it's a drug we're addicted to whether it's the nicotine itself or the act of smoking and all that stuff.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Murmur Twin posted:

Cool. So what's the issue with smoking alot?

I detailed it in an earlier post, click the ? to have your questions answered.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Amused to Death posted:

This would be all fine and dandy if most of the people smoking marijuana all day long actually had some kind of serious depression. I don't find "well reality is kind of boring and better with weed" as a legitimate reason to be high all day long.

Why not? What is the negative here exactly?

quote:

Cigarettes don't really alter your perception

Nicotine is capable of altering perception just as much as THC is. That is why people smoke cigarettes.

There is nothing wrong with being high all day. If you can be a productive member of society while high, why the gently caress do you care if someone is high or not? What gives you the right to dictate which substances are ok to require every day and which aren't. I think people who need a cup of coffee to wake up in the morning are basically drug addicts but you don't see me trying to argue that they aren't able to deal with reality.

Powercrazy posted:

I detailed it in an earlier post, click the ? to have your questions answered.

Actually, you never did. Why don't you go ahead and quote it for all of us again.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

a lovely poster posted:

Why not? What is the negative here exactly?

Because things such as psychological dependencies exist and are generally not considered mentally healthy.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

quote:

Nicotine is capable of altering perception just as much as THC is. That is why people smoke cigarettes.

Lmao, have you ever actually been a smoker of both?

quote:

There is nothing wrong with being high all day. If you can be a productive member of society while high, why the gently caress do you care if someone is high or not? What gives you the right to dictate which substances are ok to require every day and which aren't. I think people who need a cup of coffee to wake up in the morning are basically drug addicts but you don't see me trying to argue that they aren't able to deal with reality.

See, why are you trying to equate "You shouldn't really smoke weed all day long" with dictating to people what they should do. Nobody is saying we should't legalize weed because smoke people will smoke all day long(at least here anyways). But really, if you're a relatively healthy person mentally and physically who needs to be high all day long, I'm sorry, I don't care how productive you are, you need to reexamine your relationship with reality, or the status of your addiction. Addiction isn't all fiending like a madman for drugs or a cigarette.

e: so far today we've had someone say cigarettes can be as strong as weed and that someone who drinks a lot of beer every day wouldn't be socially looked down upon.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 23, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Is it more clear to you guys if we say "playing world of warcraft all day" instead of "smoke weed all day"? Like it isn't "wrong" but it's strange and seems symptomatic of something else? That one would be concerned for a friend who assumed that lifestyle? Smoking 15 times per day entails a good fraction of your time wrapped up in doing so, it isn't like you blink three times and then you are high.

"Addiction" as a scare word doesn't work either, it's more than that. Dependence antidepressents isn't a bad thing. I'm not concerned about the act itself, I'd be concerned about the opportunity cost of not doing other things instead. I actually think that most people who do nothing but smoke weed all day every day probably actually do have some form of "serious depression".

Also for what its worth my tolerance is such that one cigarette probably has a greater magnitude of psychooactivity than half a joint joint, though clearly for a much shorter time.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 23, 2013

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Amused to Death posted:

Lmao, have you ever actually been a smoke of both?

Excuse me? Here you go you ignorant smug poo poo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine#Psychoactive_effects

quote:

See, why are you trying to equate "You shouldn't really smoke weed all day long" with dictating to people what they should do. Nobody is saying we should't legalize weed because smoke people will smoke all day long(at least here anyways). But really, if you're a relatively healthy person mentally and physically who needs to be high all day long, I'm sorry, I don't care how productive you are, you need to reexamine your relationship with reality, or the status of your addiction. Addiction isn't all fiending like a madman for drugs or a cigarette.

I love throwing the word addiction in there. Really drives home how little you understand. It's not that people need it, it's that they desire it. The difference between someone who is drinking all day versus being "high" is that being "high" is NOT a bad thing in of itself.

You keep insisting that we should view desiring having THC in our system at all times as some kind of negative. There is nothing wrong with that whatsoever. There are no negative long-term health effects and the negative side effects like impaired motor function aren't important for many people in their day to day jobs.

You have created some monster in your head that is not based in reality. Being "high" is not as much as an "altered perception" as you're making it out to be, and you have absolutely no reason to tell anyone that they should reexamine their relationship with reality because they choose to utilize a completely natural substance with no negative health effects on a daily basis to improve their mood or whatever other reason they might have.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Jeffrey posted:

Is it more clear to you guys if we say "playing world of warcraft all day" instead of "smoke weed all day"? Like it isn't "wrong" but it's strange and seems symptomatic of something else? That one would be concerned for a friend who assumed that lifestyle? Smoking 15 times per day entails a good fraction of your time wrapped up in doing so, it isn't like you blink three times and then you are high.

No, it doesn't. You're just wrong. You can smoke 15 times a day EASILY in under an hour and a half.

One hour of video games =/= One "smoking session"

Making false equivalencies over and over again isn't going to get you anywhere.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The last 3 pages are a microcosm of the entire problem in this country. Who are you to tell anyone else how they need to live their life? Some people smoke and are perfectly capable of day to day tasks. Other people don't smoke and are incapable of day to day tasks. But, it is none of anyone else's business how someone lives their life. To sit there and tell someone that it is wrong to smoke, play games, be antisocial, be super social, who gives a gently caress, is not your decision to make, and this is why our country is so hosed up. If everyone just minded their own god damned business and left each other to their own devices unless said person is affecting them personally, the world would be a much better place.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Jeffrey posted:

Do you understand that there are people who smoke pot while doing other things? Many of which are social or productive? I see what you're saying with the WoW comparison, I just don't think it's a good analogy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

The last 3 pages are a microcosm of the entire problem in this country. Who are you to tell anyone else how they need to live their life? Some people smoke and are perfectly capable of day to day tasks. Other people don't smoke and are incapable of day to day tasks. But, it is none of anyone else's business how someone lives their life. To sit there and tell someone that it is wrong to smoke, play games, be antisocial, be super social, who gives a gently caress, is not your decision to make, and this is why our country is so hosed up. If everyone just minded their own god damned business and left each other to their own devices unless said person is affecting them personally, the world would be a much better place.

Hmm but it'd be an even better world if I helped friends who were depressed and using weed to cope get out of their depression.

a lovely poster posted:

No, it doesn't. You're just wrong. You can smoke 15 times a day EASILY in under an hour and a half.
Please upload a video of you unpackaging, grinding, rolling, and smoking 15 joints worth of weed in an hour and a half. I'm sure you probably can do it if you practice and focus but that's not what anyone's routine looks like. "Oh yes well I have a soccer game at 3:30 and this meeting ends at 2, let me pencil in smoking 15 joints". Seriously measure how long you spend preparing for smoking and doing so during your normal routine if you disagree.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Jeffrey posted:

Please upload a video of you unpackaging, grinding, rolling, and smoking 15 joints worth of weed in an hour and a half. I'm sure you probably can do it if you practice and focus but that's not what anyone's routine looks like. "Oh yes well I have a soccer game at 3:30 and this meeting ends at 2, let me pencil in smoking 15 joints". Seriously time how long you spend smoking in practice if you disagree.

The biggest takeaway from this discussion for me so far is that either a lovely poster is in an extreme state of denial, or they are getting some preposterously weak marijuana.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Yeah, no. I mean if its one of your first few times smoking a cigarette, you can definitely get one hell of a head rush or light headed feeling for a few minutes. But boy does that go away quick.

quote:

The difference between someone who is drinking all day versus being "high" is that being "high" is NOT a bad thing in of itself.

I'm confused, what's the difference? High is just a euphemism for intoxicated off of marijuana or other drugs. Alcohol just wound up with its own word of drunk due to its prevalence. If being high on marijuana all day is fine, what's wrong with being a drunk all day? Drunk doesn't mean plastered, someone can be a bit drunk and still completely functional.

quote:

Being "high" is not as much as an "altered perception" as you're making it out to be

Yeah, I smoke weed because it totally isn't about altering my perception and being high off of it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Jeffrey posted:

Hmm but it'd be an even better world if I helped friends who were depressed and using weed to cope get out of their depression.

Please upload a video of you unpackaging, grinding, rolling, and smoking 15 joints worth of weed in an hour and a half. I'm sure you probably can do it if you practice and focus but that's not what anyone's routine looks like. "Oh yes well I have a soccer game at 3:30 and this meeting ends at 2, let me pencil in smoking 15 joints". Seriously measure how long you spend preparing for smoking and doing so during your normal routine if you disagree.

Still not relevant to just leaving people be.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Murmur Twin posted:

Do you understand that there are people who smoke pot while doing other things? Many of which are social or productive? I see what you're saying with the WoW comparison, I just don't think it's a good analogy.

They spend some time dedicated to just the smoking part though. Like I said, one joint usually ends up being 20 minutes for me, maybe half that is the actual smoking part. Not to mention you have to stop what you are doing in order do the preparation, which certainly will hurt productivity if that's what you're measuring. I'm not saying it is perfectly correlated 1 joint = 1 hour of wow, but 1 joint certainly = some unit of time's worth of wow, and some level of it should trigger concern.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

veedubfreak posted:

Actually this is absolutely wrong. Humans are social creatures, and if people actively avoid socialization it has some very negative psychological affects. You know the loner stereotype who goes out and shoots up a movie theater? It's not because he plays video games, it's not because he drinks, it's not because he smokes weed, it's because he does those activities to the exclusion of everything else, or worse he is excluded from social interaction (maybe he is awkward, maybe he has SAD, who knows) so he does those things to escape the isolation.

When people start doing things like that, those are the warning signs that members of a society should look out for. Those are signs of issues that should be addressed. Ignoring your fellow man as some kind of moral indignation is actually bad for society.

It's an incredibly dangerous attitude to have for an individual because of the depression spiral, it is also an unhealthy attitude for society to hold, with nothing more obvious then the lone gunman america seems to have, or the high suicide rate that other societies have. Anyway, these problems are not unique to weed, but the Warchicken example would be valid even if this was the cooking thread, or the shooting thread, or the video game thread or the movie thread.

Although Weed is unique because there is a culture surrounding it. As Warchicken says "I am awesome and I smoke weed." As if something as trivial as smoking weed has anything to do with being 'awesome,' however you want to define it.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Amused to Death posted:

Yeah, no. I mean if its one of your first few times smoking a cigarette, you can definitely get one hell of a head rush or light headed feeling for a few minutes. But boy does that go away quick.

I'm confused, what's the difference? High is just a euphemism for intoxicated off of marijuana or other drugs. Alcohol just wound up with its own word of drunk due to its prevalence. If being high on marijuana all day is fine, what's wrong with being a drunk all day? Drunk doesn't mean plastered, someone can be a bit drunk and still completely functional.

Yeah, I smoke weed because it totally isn't about altering my perception and being high off of it.

The health differences between a Full Time Pot Smoker and a Full Time Drunk would be reason enough to legalize pot, and why much of the discussion comes about anyways. Most people who drink AND smoke that I know would rather be able to just smoke and leave drinking alone, myself included. Anyone who has done both knows that alcohol is WAY worse for you than pot for several reasons. The fact that it is stigmatized and people HAVE to be alone in secret half the time to enjoy smoking is the problem, not that they smoke and decide to be alone. Society created the basement loner stoner.

I like how when I'm high I can visualize books that much better, or hear subtleties in music or make a conclusion in a film I otherwise may not be tuned to see. Its not always just about leaving the existing world for a new one, but enhancing the things you already appreciate or seeing things differently than you may have. Paranoia is an artifact of enhanced interest in my experience and can be rationalized away in introspection or cultivated by rear end in a top hat friends I guess.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

Your argument is that excessive cannabis use creates stay-at-home stoners who can't socialize, correct? Can you not see how that is frustrating to people who smoke a lot who don't fall under that stereotype? Especially when laws are created based on it?

OK, awesome.

Powercrazy posted:

Actually this is absolutely wrong. Humans are social creatures, and if people actively avoid socialization it has some very negative psychological affects. You know the loner stereotype who goes out and shoots up a movie theater? It's not because he plays video games, it's not because he drinks, it's not because he smokes weed, it's because he does those activities to the exclusion of everything else, or worse he is excluded from social interaction (maybe he is awkward, maybe he has SAD, who knows) so he does those things to escape the isolation.

When people start doing things like that, those are the warning signs that members of a society should look out for. Those are signs of issues that should be addressed. Ignoring your fellow man as some kind of moral indignation is actually bad for society.

It's an incredibly dangerous attitude to have for an individual because of the depression spiral, it is also an unhealthy attitude for society to hold, with nothing more obvious then the lone gunman america seems to have, or the high suicide rate that other societies have. Anyway, these problems are not unique to weed, but the Warchicken example would be valid even if this was the cooking thread, or the shooting thread, or the video game thread or the movie thread.

This is a thread about pot legalization. Maybe you could start a thread about depression, coping mechanisms, and vices?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Hmm but there's been no more news and everyone here already thinks it should be legalized so there's not really anything to discuss there. Should we just close the thread until a news story comes out? I'm fine with not having this conversation but I've continued participating because others are.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It takes me like 2 minutes to prepare and smoke a bowl, I do it every 2 or 3 hours when I'm not at work.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Jeffrey posted:

They spend some time dedicated to just the smoking part though. Like I said, one joint usually ends up being 20 minutes for me, maybe half that is the actual smoking part. Not to mention you have to stop what you are doing in order do the preparation, which certainly will hurt productivity if that's what you're measuring. I'm not saying it is perfectly correlated 1 joint = 1 hour of wow, but 1 joint certainly = some unit of time's worth of wow, and some level of it should trigger concern.

Why do you want to equate taking in a substance with sitting stationary and playing a video game. There is no analogue, stop reaching.

Amused to Death posted:

Your anecdotes are honestly poo poo. I've smoked plenty of both and why don't we just let the science have the last say? Nicotine alters your perception, that is why people smoke cigarettes, "altering perception" is a awful metric to use anyways.

quote:

The problem is that drinking that much alchohol daily has long term health effects that are negative.

quote:

"Altering perception" doesn't mean anything. Try harder.

Bundt Cake posted:

The biggest takeaway from this discussion for me so far is that either a lovely poster is in an extreme state of denial, or they are getting some preposterously weak marijuana.

Classy

Jeffrey posted:

The claim was if he could buy a box of prepackaged joints. And I'm not saying you sit down and smoke 15 at once. I'm saying that an hour and a half of smoking time spread throughout a sixteen hour day is not some kind of crazy amount. Even three hours really isn't that bad as far as time to spend during a day on a single activity (this assumes that you aren't doing other poo poo while smoking, which is more common than not) I cannot believe how difficult it is for you and others to grasp this.

Jeffrey posted:

Hmm but there's been no more news and everyone here already thinks it should be legalized so there's not really anything to discuss there. Should we just close the thread until a news story comes out? I'm fine with not having this conversation but I've continued participating because others are.

:getout: nobody cares if you think there's nothing to discuss. Yours and others stereotypes surrounding people who choose to use THC on a daily basis most certainly IS something worth discussing to many of us

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Smoking cigarettes gives you a head rush like...maybe once or twice before that stops and you start just smoking to not be cranky/agitated or out of habit. It has more subtle effects on your brain chemistry but the big effects that could be somewhat compared to weed go away very very quickly. To compare the brain effects of a smoker of cigarettes and weed just seems highly disingenuous.

Not to mention the difference between getting high 15 hours a day vs smoking 1-2 packs a day would have on your health.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
This thread has totally killed my buzz.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Stanos posted:

Smoking cigarettes gives you a head rush like...maybe once or twice before that stops and you start just smoking to not be cranky/agitated or out of habit. It has more subtle effects on your brain chemistry but the big effects that could be somewhat compared to weed go away very very quickly. To compare the brain effects of a smoker of cigarettes and weed just seems highly disingenuous.

Why is that? They are both substances people smoke to obtain very similar effects. Relaxation, alleviation of stress or anxiety. I'm not denying that marijuana has other effects that nicotine doesn't have, significantly impaired motor function is one of them. Like I said, the science bears this out. Nicotine very much is a psychoactive drug that alters your perception. If your basis for calling THC bad is that it "alters perception", there's absolutely no reason not to question whether Nicotine would meet that criteria as well. The lesson here is that "alters perception" is a terrible metric when you're trying to objectively describe the effects of a substance. Be more specific.

quote:

Not to mention the difference between getting high 15 hours a day vs smoking 1-2 packs a day would have on your health.

Which is what?

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

Powercrazy posted:

For just weed, or for everything? What is the list of approved things I can show concern about?

Until you learn to not be sanctimonious about it, not a single drat thing.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Bundt Cake posted:

It may shock you to learn this, but not everybody uses the same amount of marijuana all the time. People keep referring to "a joint" like it's the smallest amount that one would smoke in a single sitting, but the effects can start much much sooner - after the first small hit in many cases.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Powercrazy posted:

Although Weed is unique because there is a culture surrounding it. As Warchicken says "I am awesome and I smoke weed." As if something as trivial as smoking weed has anything to do with being 'awesome,' however you want to define it.

The irony here is that his whole point is that those are two completely separate things that have no impact on each other and you completely missed it and read it as some kind of support for pot as a supernatural magical substance. Impressively dense.

RichieWolk posted:

It may shock you to learn this, but not everybody uses the same amount of marijuana all the time. People keep referring to "a joint" like it's the smallest amount that one would smoke in a single sitting, but the effects can start much much sooner - after the first small hit in many cases.

Not only that but people build tolerances. Fifteen joints might sound like a lot to someone who smokes one every two weeks, but I know plenty of functional adults where I live who smoke that many joints a day and still manage to pay their taxes, go to their jobs, and ultimately be productive members of society.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

a lovely poster posted:

Why do you want to equate taking in a substance with sitting stationary and playing a video game. There is no analogue, stop reaching.
It isn't popping a pill, it is an extended activity that takes up time the same way a video game does.

a lovely poster posted:

The claim was if he could buy a box of prepackaged joints. And I'm not saying you sit down and smoke 15 at once. I'm saying that an hour and a half of smoking time spread throughout a sixteen hour day is not some kind of crazy amount. Even three hours really isn't that bad as far as time to spend during a day on a single activity (this assumes that you aren't doing other poo poo while smoking, which is more common than not) I cannot believe how difficult it is for you and others to grasp this.
I still think 3 hours is too low and it would be more like 5-6 if you were to truly have 15 independent smoking sessions. Still, we can use 3. Even if its not a lot to spend in a day on one activity, it is a lot to spend every day such that a fifth of your sixteen waking hours for your whole life are spent on it. This is the part that generalizes to every such leisure activity.

a lovely poster posted:

:getout: nobody cares if you think there's nothing to discuss. Yours and others stereotypes surrounding people who choose to use THC on a daily basis most certainly IS something worth discussing to many of us
Hmm its extra funny that I'm oppressing you with stereotypes of people who smoke weed every day. Except for the part where I do that too. (I sure as hell don't do it 15 times a day though and can't comprehend wanting to.)

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

a lovely poster posted:

Your anecdotes are honestly poo poo. I've smoked plenty of both and why don't we just let the science have the last say? Nicotine alters your perception, that is why people smoke cigarettes, "altering perception" is a awful metric to use anyways.

I don't think you have.

quote:

The problem is that drinking that much alchohol daily has long term health effects that are negative.

No, not necessarily. Why are you trying to moralize behavior. Plenty of people drink and smoke tobacco in ample amounts and die at old age in good health. Also you seem rather eager to say there are literally no possible long term effects of marijuana, especially long term cognitive effects. It reeks of the whole "weed isn't really a drug dude" schtick. gently caress there have been 3 studies just in the past year linking marijuana to a potentially increased risk of testicular cancer.
http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20120910/marijuana-tied-to-testicular-cancer

quote:

"Altering perception" doesn't mean anything. Try harder.

It's why I also said high :ssh: and made the point high is just euphemism for having perception altered enough to be intoxicated off something. My god you are freakin' pedantic though.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Jeffrey posted:

It isn't popping a pill, it is an extended activity that takes up time the same way a video game does.

Why not compare it to smoking a cigarette instead? Since you know, it makes more sense and all.

quote:

I still think 3 hours is too low and it would be more like 5-6 if you were to truly have 15 independent smoking sessions. Still, we can use 3. Even if its not a lot to spend in a day on one activity, it is a lot to spend every day such that a fifth of your sixteen waking hours for your whole life are spent on it. This is the part that generalizes to every such leisure activity.

Yeah, again, I totally disagree with your idea that you need 6 hours to have 15 smoking sessions, the entire thing where you're trying to equate amount smoked with time smoked is such a stupid derail I'm just going to stop trying to give you baby's first lesson on how to smoke a pack of cigarettes in a day without spending 6 hours doing it.

quote:

Hmm its extra funny that I'm oppressing you with stereotypes of people who smoke weed every day. Except for the part where I do that too. (I sure as hell don't do it 15 times a day though and can't comprehend wanting to.)

You're not oprressing me, don't try to make it out like I'm playing the victim. You are the one with the poorly thought out analogies and inconsistent beliefs. I've made a point of not expressing my own personal preferences, but I live in an area where marijuana is largely accepted by society and the language that I see some of you use is just comedic. Your own internal prejudices just shine through again and again as you try to justify poorly thought out arguments with increasingly absurd analogies.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RichieWolk posted:

a joint can be a whole couch full of people's single sitting. give or take.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Amused to Death posted:

No, not necessarily. Why are you trying to moralize behavior. Plenty of people drink and smoke tobacco in ample amounts and die at old age in good health. Also you seem rather eager to say there are literally no possible long term effects of marijuana, especially long term cognitive effects. It reeks of the whole "weed isn't really a drug dude" schtick. gently caress there have been 3 studies just in the past year linking marijuana to a potentially increased risk of testicular cancer.
http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20120910/marijuana-tied-to-testicular-cancer

Hahaha you're really going to try to pretend like drinking large amounts of ethanol daily is not necessarily harmful to your health. Why don't you just take a step back and let that set in. Do you really want me to post studies?

Also, laughing at your webmd article, very gripping. Post some actual literature if you want to have a discussion. I'm not going to sit here and debunk the first result you got on your google search and dig for the studies behind the poo poo articles you find perpetuated by western media outlets that have spent literal decades misinforming the population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

RichieWolk posted:

Why would it shock me to learn that? I didn't choose the 15 joints per day scenario.

a lovely poster posted:

Hahaha you're really going to try to pretend like drinking large amounts of ethanol daily is not necessarily harmful to your health. Why don't you just take a step back and let that set in. Do you really want me to post studies?

Also, laughing at your webmd article, very gripping. Post some actual literature if you want to have a discussion. I'm not going to sit here and debunk the first result you got on your google search and dig for the studies behind the poo poo articles you find perpetuated by western media outlets that have spent literal decades misinforming the population.

You're doing a great job of refuting the stereotypes about people who smoke weed being friendly, calm and creative.

• Locked thread