Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

It seems we've read the same books :wotwot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

FrozenVent posted:

Space on a ship is at a premium, there's no sense installing poo poo before you actually need it.

There's also no money until you need it, and often not even then.

I'll throw this out there, AWACS is only now getting an upgrade to its mission computer's processing capabilities (around 1998 the reel-to-reel memory was replaced by a hard drive the emulates a reel-to-reel system). The processor being replaced was designed in 1963. And yet it's still unclear if the entire fleet will be upgraded. Between the mission system upgrades and the flight deck upgrades (glass cockpit!), there's the potential for SIX E-3 variants on the ramp at the same time...with only about 30 airframes total. Getting funding is a bitch if you're not a flashy program.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Godholio posted:

I'll throw this out there, AWACS is only now getting an upgrade to its mission computer's processing capabilities (around 1998 the reel-to-reel memory was replaced by a hard drive the emulates a reel-to-reel system). The processor being replaced was designed in 1963. And yet it's still unclear if the entire fleet will be upgraded. Between the mission system upgrades and the flight deck upgrades (glass cockpit!), there's the potential for SIX E-3 variants on the ramp at the same time...with only about 30 airframes total. Getting funding is a bitch if you're not a flashy program.

Doesn't that sound a bit penny-wise/pound-foolish? Like, you'd save more money having a common stock of parts, and only needing to train personnel for one version of the specific E-3 mission and airframe, than you'd save only upgrading a certain subset of the airplanes.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

StandardVC10 posted:

Doesn't that sound a bit penny-wise/pound-foolish? Like, you'd save more money having a common stock of parts, and only needing to train personnel for one version of the specific E-3 mission and airframe, than you'd save only upgrading a certain subset of the airplanes.
Blame congress for asinine appropriation laws that force commands to take retarded approaches to poo poo like this.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
We should just buy MiGs. :colbert:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

We should just buy MiGs. :colbert:

License the Eurofighter and rebuild Skyraiders :freep:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Just do what we all know is going to happen anyways. Develop UAV technology.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

LP97S posted:

Glide-wings on Gavins

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Glide-wings on Gavins

Seriously, the services could save so much money, and protect so many soldiers, by switching to the Gavins as the base chassis for every single vehicle, aircraft and ship.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

StandardVC10 posted:

Welcome to every day in the US Armed Forces. :patriot:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

mlmp08 posted:

Two aircraft that take an eternity to get anywhere and require an extremely permissive environment. Hooray!

You should've posted a TACP and a Bone.

Hey, compared to the Pred the Reaper is a speed demon. Of course when you're comparing yourself to an aircraft that cruises slower than someone speeding a bit on the interstate, yeah I'd hope you seem pretty fast.

Godholio posted:

there's the potential for SIX E-3 variants on the ramp at the same time...with only about 30 airframes total.

Hahahahahaha...because AWACS mx didn't hate life enough already.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Just do what we all know is going to happen anyways. Develop UAV technology.

It's happening, there's just some missions that aren't quite ready for RPAs yet. Also we have yet to crack the "how do you (reliably and effectively) employ a remotely piloted/only semi-autonomous vehicle in a denied/degraded environment" question, along with it's corollary which is "just how much autonomy are we comfortable giving armed unmanned warplanes?"

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

LP97S posted:

Skyraider UAV.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Taerkar posted:

Skyraider UAV.

No bullshit, that is basically the Reaper. Here's a performance breakdown, Skyraider then Reaper:

Max Speed: 280 kts, 260 kts
Cruising Speed: 170 kts, 170 kts
Range: 1100 nm, 1000 nm
Ordnance Payload: 8,000 lbs, 3,000 lbs

The only real differences are in loiter time/endurance, maneuverability, and payload. Reaper's endurance is way better than the Skyraider's (obviously). The maneuverability and payload thing isn't that big of a deal because thanks to PGMs the Reaper can perform the same mission set from medium altitude with fewer and smaller munitions that are more accurate.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Sure, but can the Reaper do a goofy loop?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Call me back when a Reaper drops a toilet on-target for effect, otherwise I don't want to hear it.

Godholio I was going to ask if anyone in the USAF has ever bothered to ask "hey maybe we should get those 767-based AWACS planes" but then I realized that would be a cruel thing to say to you. Hell, did they ever even re-engine them with something that isn't 60s vintage?

Anywhere else I'd say "at what point do you just start over" but with the AF I assume that point is "two years after the last original AWACS crashes into a mountain we might start the process to write an initial pre-proposal planning proposal to consider thinking about the possibility of pursuing the proposal to get a new airframe"

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 23, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Psion posted:

Godholio I was going to ask if anyone in the USAF has ever bothered to ask "hey maybe we should get those 767-based AWACS planes" but then I realized that would be a cruel thing to say to you. Hell, did they ever even re-engine them with something that isn't 60s vintage?

Anywhere else I'd say "at what point do you just start over" but with the AF I assume that point is "two years after the last original AWACS crashes into a mountain we might start the process to write an initial pre-proposal planning proposal to consider thinking about the possibility of pursuing the proposal to get a new airframe"

Actually the E-767 that Japan bought uses the EXACT same mission systems that ours have. So there's no benefit there, except for the joys of having more space, range, and fuel economy. And actually the 707 airframe isn't the problem, it's the ancient hardware. AWACS desperately needs this computer upgrade, and I actually would've ranked new radios above a new cockpit (radios were supposed to be part of this upgrade, but naturally were cut to save $). The radar is surprisingly capable for being such an old design. We could do better with a new rotating AESA antenna in the dome, but I'm actually not sure the added capability would be worth the cost. As far as engines...no, they're still running TF33s and they have SO MANY spare cores from the reengined and retired KC-135s, C-141s, and B-52s that they'll never invest in anything newer no matter how much it improves range, fuel economy, and noise pollution.

A replacement for the E-3 isn't even being discussed at ACC/A3. Personally, I see the replacement for the E-3 going one of two ways, based solely on initial cost estimates: something based loosely on the E-737 (Wedgetail and its family), but with the mission crew on the ground; or a completely unmanned aircraft of similar size. As far as the mission crew goes, if there's modern technology on the aircraft there's no reason to to put them in the airplane (right now, roughly 5 members of an AWACS crew are equipment techs solely there to power up/troubleshoot/tear apart/restart/power down the hardware). The controllers and surveillance team don't need to be on board, realistically. Put them in a trailer, save a poo poo-ton of space, now pick an airframe based on range/loiter capability and the ability to generate enough power to run whatever radar you throw on it. I don't think we could get by with buying a Wedgetail copy...it's radar and other systems are capable, but frankly to do what we use the E-3 for, we'd need 3-4x as many 737s as 707s, and that just ain't gonna happen.

Edit: The last discussion of an E-3 replacement was actually based on the 767...it was called the E-10 and it would've combined AWACS and JSTARS into one airframe doing both missions simultaneously. That idea was wisely killed off several years ago.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's been discussed a few times that the Air Force and it's nuclear forces have had some big issues and mission rot since the end of the cold war. Now the Army got out of the nuke game (well in terms of actually deployed) after George H.W. Bush withdrew all the tactical nuclear weapons in the early 1990s and no one ever let the Marines have nukes, leaving only the Navy.

Has the Navy had the same issues that the Air Force has had in transitioning their Strategic or strategic support service after the Cold War?

I know the Navy took over the Looking Glass role (which the Air Force had for nearly 4 decades) with the move to E-6Bs, along with the TACAMO role they already serve (Air Force still runs Nightwatch), which may have been budget consolidation, but it could have been issue with the Air Force too. I just never hear of the Navy having issues with the SSBNs like I do with the Air Force and the Missiles and Bombers crews.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The EC-135s used for Looking Glass were also loving ancient and required a lot of cash to modernize and keep up with the surviving 135 fleet.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

That's why I wondered when you said the main problem with the E-3 isn't the airframe. Aren't they also all old and beat to poo poo? I know most of an E-3 flight track consists of turning in a circle for hours on end but I'd still think the airframes would fatigue eventually :confused:

Then again the B-52 is scheduled to stay in service to what, 2040? so hell if I know. Space wizardry. Or cruel torture of enlisted maintenance guys. Probably that second one.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Godholio posted:

Edit: The last discussion of an E-3 replacement was actually based on the 767...it was called the E-10 and it would've combined AWACS and JSTARS into one airframe doing both missions simultaneously. That idea was wisely killed off several years ago.

To expand on this, Boeing built one 767 frame to use as a prototype, I think the project might have gotten canned before they actually did anything with it. No airline had ordered it but it was eventually sold as a white tail 767-400ER to Bahrain. Not sure if they're ever going to use it either.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

Two aircraft that take an eternity to get anywhere and require an extremely permissive environment. Hooray!
It's as though the low speed and high loiter time requirements for the typical CAS mission are hard to reconcile with dash performance and survivability.

quote:

You should've posted a TACP and a Bone.
:lol: By pretty much any metric the Bone is an awful CAS aircraft.

gfanikf posted:

It's been discussed a few times that the Air Force and it's nuclear forces have had some big issues and mission rot since the end of the cold war. Now the Army got out of the nuke game (well in terms of actually deployed) after George H.W. Bush withdrew all the tactical nuclear weapons in the early 1990s and no one ever let the Marines have nukes, leaving only the Navy.

Has the Navy had the same issues that the Air Force has had in transitioning their Strategic or strategic support service after the Cold War?

I know the Navy took over the Looking Glass role (which the Air Force had for nearly 4 decades) with the move to E-6Bs, along with the TACAMO role they already serve (Air Force still runs Nightwatch), which may have been budget consolidation, but it could have been issue with the Air Force too. I just never hear of the Navy having issues with the SSBNs like I do with the Air Force and the Missiles and Bombers crews.
I'd guess it's because command of a navy boomer is still a highly regarded billet, whereas commanding an AF missile squadron during the GWOT... Not so much.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Godholio posted:

A replacement for the E-3 isn't even being discussed at ACC/A3. Personally, I see the replacement for the E-3 going one of two ways, based solely on initial cost estimates: something based loosely on the E-737 (Wedgetail and its family), but with the mission crew on the ground; or a completely unmanned aircraft of similar size. As far as the mission crew goes, if there's modern technology on the aircraft there's no reason to to put them in the airplane (right now, roughly 5 members of an AWACS crew are equipment techs solely there to power up/troubleshoot/tear apart/restart/power down the hardware). The controllers and surveillance team don't need to be on board, realistically. Put them in a trailer, save a poo poo-ton of space, now pick an airframe based on range/loiter capability and the ability to generate enough power to run whatever radar you throw on it. I don't think we could get by with buying a Wedgetail copy...it's radar and other systems are capable, but frankly to do what we use the E-3 for, we'd need 3-4x as many 737s as 707s, and that just ain't gonna happen.

Solution seems obvious to me

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^They used to include AWACS in the long list of things the F-22 was going to be able to do. Laughable, but yeah it has a good radar for a fighter.

Psion posted:

That's why I wondered when you said the main problem with the E-3 isn't the airframe. Aren't they also all old and beat to poo poo? I know most of an E-3 flight track consists of turning in a circle for hours on end but I'd still think the airframes would fatigue eventually :confused:

I assume so. But it seems like 9/10 mission cancellations/early RTBs were due to engine problems. Although there WAS a rash of landing gear problems in 2011-12 (this doesn't include the Nellis crash because that was the copilot's fault).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Snowdens Secret posted:

Solution seems obvious to me

This is fantastic.

Dead Reckoning posted:

but where else will we get our Liveleak videos of a simultaneous drop of 8 JDAMs?

Think of the American people watching that video :patriot:

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 23, 2013

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Psion posted:

Space wizardry. Or cruel torture of enlisted maintenance guys. Probably that second one.

One theory I've read is that older aircraft like the b52 and 707 based awacs have larger safety margins due to being designed before computational structural optimization was a thing. Makes sense to me. Modern aircraft try to squeeze every last bit of performance out of the structural weight, while older designs are comparatively over-designed.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

just got back from the evergreen air museum in hillsboro with my grandpa

jesus christ I forgot how loving huge the spruce goose is. I saw it when I was a kid, but man, that thing is gigantic

their space museum was pretty cool too. helped fuel my KSP sperginess, plus the sr71 was in there and that thing owns

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

right arm posted:

It's in McMinnville(?).

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Craptacular posted:

It's in McMinnville(?).

umm close enough??

(I'm running on like zero sleep)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

Badassedness is a metric :colbert:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

right arm posted:

umm close enough??

(I'm running on like zero sleep)

30 miles, NBD.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

all oregon cities look the same to me (because they're full of white people)

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

right arm posted:

Did you take gramps to the water park? Fun fact: that 747 on top is the one MCLAAAAAAANE blew up at the end of Die Hard 2.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

haha no, I did ask him if he wanted to go, but he said he was concerned that he'd get lodged sideways in the tube and they'd have to cut him out of there

that owns wrt to the 747. didn't even notice it was actually part of the park til I got on the other side of it and saw the slide tubes coming out of it

a friend of mine works sales for evergreen (free passes for the museum woo) and she got to fly in one of their customers' planes today. super jealous

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

The controllers and surveillance team don't need to be on board, realistically. Put them in a trailer, save a poo poo-ton of space, now pick an airframe based on range/loiter capability and the ability to generate enough power to run whatever radar you throw on it.

lolololololololright

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I know this was a few pages back, but speaking of the Army/Air Force split: Robert Farley has a book coming out called "Grounded: The Case for Abolishing the United States Air Force"...

America Does Not Need the Air Force

accompanying ID post

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

MrYenko posted:

lolololololololright

Just compare the MTF for lithium-ion batteries exploding to TF33 engine failures, it might still be more reliable :haw:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

gfanikf posted:

I've heard that the air force units in charge of the land based ICBMs keep failing readiness tests. Is this what you were referring to?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've heard that the air force units in charge of the land based ICBMs keep failing readiness tests. Is this what you were referring to?

Yep

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

also whoops we left live warheads on these cruise missiles on this transport flight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PCjr sidecar posted:

also whoops we left live warheads on these cruise missiles on this transport flight

Yep along with shipping the nuke fuses to Taiwan. I forgot if that was AF or someone else.