Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Red posted:

I don't understand why Joseph Gordon Levitt wasn't an option?

Because DKR set up an impossible role for JGL's character to fill and knows it, so actually following through with it would expose that.

Edit: And re-casting him as Bruce Wayne would be extremely confusing to pretty much everyone.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The wacky best-at-everything-ever-possible conception where "plans" basically substitute for "magic" as the explanation for why Batman can do ____. I think there's plenty of room for a "realistic" Batman in a Superman movie, though. In Man of Steel, Superman never actually fights crime - he opposes industrial disasters and alien invasions. Also, when he actually cuts loose, entire cities fall over. The Man of Steel Superman can't operate in that kind of hyper-precise bullet time mode in which comic book Superman wooshes off to save a life and returns so quickly that whoever he was talking to didn't notice his absence, or in which comic book Superman builds an entire supercomputer in the space of several minutes, or whatever. Someone capable of stealth and subtlety, and who's good at detective work and psychological analysis, and who's got tons of money and connections, would actually be invaluable in the fight against a canny and deeply enmeshed criminal rather than against a space monster or something.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Plus Batman is basically a ninja, and ninjas are always useful :shobon:

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Ferrinus posted:

I think there's plenty of room for a "realistic" Batman in a Superman movie, though.

Why do we need another "realistic" Batman after having just finished a trilogy featuring a "realistic" Batman?

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Yondu !

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Batman is now a soft-sided Bostonian with a butt chin? That's going to be interesting on screen. But hey, no one thought Ledger could do the Joker and he pulled it off. Guess I'll take the wait and see approach.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Mark Ruffalo is (in my opinion) a bad actor that I've never liked in anything, and I thought he was an absolutely horrible choice for Bruce Banner - but he's been the best Banner to date.

But maybe that's all Joss Whedon. I don't know if I remember Snyder pulling great performances out of people who usually suck.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

DFu4ever posted:

Why do we need another "realistic" Batman after having just finished a trilogy featuring a "realistic" Batman?

We've got a realistic Superman. The does-anything-because-he's-just-that-good cartoon Batman wouldn't make sense or be necessary to pair with a Superman that's already manifestly got strengths and limitations that the archetypical Batman character can complement. It's important to note that "realistic" doesn't translate to "Nolan", here - Nolan's Batman didn't really do much detective work or draw on experience in crime fighting or build up a big support network.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Hahaha this movie is gonna be awesome.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I am a little iffy on affleck because I heard he found putting on the daredevil costume humiliating and some say his performance shows it a bit, but maybe now that cape movies make billions (if you are marvel or nolan) I guess he might rethink that.
I'm neither watching daredevil or the new batman when it comes out (I have no goodwill left for dc unless it's something amazing) so I don't really care enough to look further.

I wonder if they'll adapt arkham asylum the comic or video game. Would be a chance to use a bunch of villains that could not support a whole movie and put out merchandise for all of them. And then they could make the villain of the next one whoever sold the most merchandise.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'll go ahead and say that the following line will be said " I analyzed and replicated the atmosphere on your home planet" Batman proceeds to beat the poo poo out of Superman.

That's pretty much how that fight is going to happen.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hollis posted:

I'll go ahead and say that the following line will be said " I analyzed and replicated the atmosphere on your home planet" Batman proceeds to beat the poo poo out of Superman.

Or he'll just use all the kryptonite that's now laying around due to Zod's machine.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Hollis posted:

Here's a better one.

"I just turned the Sun into a Red Supergiant."
"How the gently caress? Do you realize what you've done?"
"I'm Batman."
*punch*

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

whatspeakyou posted:

Batman is now a soft-sided Bostonian with a butt chin? That's going to be interesting on screen. But hey, no one thought Ledger could do the Joker and he pulled it off. Guess I'll take the wait and see approach.
Only idiots who hadn't seen Brokeback Mountain thought Ledger couldn't pull it off. The Joker wasn't some exception to his career, it was just another amazing role in a series of amazing roles.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I can't wait until they announce the Lobo movie... starring Robert Pattinson.

http://www.newsarama.com/18756-dc-reveals-new-look-for-lobo-s-first-new-52-appearance-in-what-s-new.html

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...
It's worth noting (I didn't see it mentioned here yet), that Warner Bros. was courting Affleck to direct their Justice League movie for months before he was cast as Batman yesterday. I think it's safe to say that's a lot closer to happening now than it was on Wednesday.

The number one complaint I've heard about them potentially making that choice is that he's never done anything with special effects, but come on. Which takes more skill, filming an actual physical car chase better than just about anyone ever has, or pointing a camera at a green-screen?

Tripwyre fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 23, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I don't see how that would be an issue, they can just have someone else worry about that part.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Tripwyre posted:

It's worth noting (I didn't see it mentioned here yet), that Warner Bros. was courting Affleck to direct their Justice League movie for months before he was cast as Batman yesterday. I think it's safe to say that's a lot closer to happening now than it was on Wednesday.

The number one complaint I've heard about them potentially making that choice is that he's never done anything with special effects, but come on. Which takes more skill, filming an actual physical car chase better than just about anyone ever has, or pointing a camera at a green-screen?

He'll have Snyder (and possibly Nolan?) to consult with on shooting VFX sequences now anyways.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I'm not sure why there's such an outrage at Affleck when we were given Henry Cavill for Superman. Cavill hadn't acted in all that much yet no one really cared that he was cast as Superman. I guess people feel much more protective of Batman? I really don't think Affleck is a bad actor so I don't think he'll do a terrible job. To me it was a weird choice but I guess we'll see.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I'm not sure why there's such an outrage at Affleck when we were given Henry Cavill for Superman. Cavill hadn't acted in all that much yet no one really cared that he was cast as Superman. I guess people feel much more protective of Batman? I really don't think Affleck is a bad actor so I don't think he'll do a terrible job. To me it was a weird choice but I guess we'll see.

I don't think it's "outrage" per se, and I think people gave Henry Cavill a chance because he hadn't acted all that much. Some people think Affleck is a bad actor, some people think he's just wrong for the part, but either away he's made enough movies that people have an established opinion. I don't give a poo poo about Batman, either, I have an interest because I'm a Zack Snyder fan (which is why, ultimately, I'll give the movie a shot when it comes out).

Tripwyre posted:

"Better than just about anyone ever has" is madness, but his style could actually work pretty well for a big superhero team-up movie.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Only idiots who hadn't seen Brokeback Mountain thought Ledger couldn't pull it off. The Joker wasn't some exception to his career, it was just another amazing role in a series of amazing roles.

This... isn't true at all. A lot of his roles didn't sync up well in the public's mind with the ability to portray someone as insane or ruthless as The Joker. It wasn't really about his acting chops. Not in my book anyways. I personally just didn't think he'd fit, but I also had no idea at the time what Nolan's iteration of The Joker would be, so I guess there's that. For all we know, Affleck could be the perfect choice for Snyder's Batman, whatever that ends up being.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

Sir Kodiak posted:

"Better than just about anyone ever has" is madness, but his style could actually work pretty well for a big superhero team-up movie.

It really isn't. I'd put the car chase in The Town in the top 1% of movie car chases, and don't feel like that's an opinion that really needs to be qualified in any way. It is absolutely outstanding.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I keep seeing people saying Affleck isn't muscular or intimidating enough for the role.

These were released in 2004-2005. Not sure how far apart the actual filming was though.
(Sorry for the lovely image)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Senor Candle posted:

I keep seeing people saying Affleck isn't muscular or intimidating enough for the role.

These were released in 2004-2005. Not sure how far apart the actual filming was though.

Bale actually had to lose weight to get to what he looks like on the right, too. After Machinist he apparently went totally overboard and was doing things like eating 2 or 3 pizzas a day because he missed food so much, and got fat. Then had to lose the fat and gain muscle because Nolan told him they were making Batman not Fatman.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Actually you need to bulk then cut. His getting bigger was definitely calculated, you can't just put on lean muscle without it taking a much longer time.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Senor Candle posted:

Affleck in the town looks like someone capable of breaking your spine

The only problem is the intimidating part , he lacks a point of malice needed, instead looking more like someone who is reluctantly breaking your spine.I don't really care about that part tho , since he is going to be in mask all the time.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Senor Candle posted:

Bale is an extreme case and has a reputation for being an extreme method actor who would do something like that. Showing a before and after isn't a fair comparison.

That being said, I don't think anyone is complaining about Affleck's physical fit for the role (except maybe Scarlet Witch/white washing guy).

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Honestly, though, if they put whoever they cast in a black-and-grey suit that doesn't just look like Halo armor with bat ears, I'll be there opening night.

If the suit's blue and grey I'll buy popcorn too.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Senor Candle posted:

As well, everyone said the same thing when Tom Hardy was cast as Bane yet the dude bulked up for the role.

Actors can bulk up in no time, I'm pretty sure there are people you can hire in Hollywood if you need to beef up for filming next year (not necessarily personal trainers).

I'm one of the few people that is actually intrigued by Ben Affleck's casting. The guy has impressed me in recent years and has improved by leaps and bounds. Nobody on my Facebook feed seems to think so actually recalling roles from a literal decade ago that Affleck has long since grown past as an actor. One dude on my feed (a hipster gently caress who literally moved to Portland to become one) is actually making Aflac duck jokes in relation to the guy's last name. I'm glad I'm dissenting from those people.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 23, 2013

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
I heard he's being worked over by the same guy who was tasked with making Cavill look Supermanish. Out of all the things I don't like about this decision, the physique is the most easily correctable.

The fact that Ben doesn't look like he could scare a child worries me some, though. :ohdear:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Justin Godscock posted:

As well, everyone said the same thing when Tom Hardy was cast as Bane yet the dude bulked up for the role.

Tom Hardy was well known for playing Bronson, I'm fairly sure no one was wondering how he'd possibly bulk up for the role but rather were complaining he wouldn't look like his silly over sized design in the comics.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

whatspeakyou posted:

I heard he's being worked over by the same guy who was tasked with making Cavill look Supermanish. Out of all the things I don't like about this decision, the physique is the most easily correctable.

The fact that Ben doesn't look like he could scare a child worries me some, though. :ohdear:

Given that this is the Superman from Man of Steel maybe he's going to be the scary one and Batman's the guy everyone likes.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'd kind of like the thought that he couldn't scare a child in this type of role. Perhaps this will be a more humane kind of Batman. A different relationship, perhaps someone Clark can take on as a mentor kind of figure to better utilize his skills in a more controlled fashion.

EDIT: I'm down for Mastercheif's Spartan Armor with pointy ears Batman.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 23, 2013

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Them casting Affleck tells me they're going for a more 70's Adams/O'Neil type of Batman than the grim dark rage monster Bale played. And I'm 100% in favor of this.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

TheJoker138 posted:

Them casting Affleck tells me they're going for a more 70's Adams/O'Neil type of Batman than the grim dark rage monster Bale played. And I'm 100% in favor of this.

My brother put it best the other day when he said "Well, that means no more Bale Batman voice at the very least".

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

PriorMarcus posted:

Tom Hardy was well known for playing Bronson, I'm fairly sure no one was wondering how he'd possibly bulk up for the role but rather were complaining he wouldn't look like his silly over sized design in the comics.

He also did Warrior right before Dark Knight Rises, a film where he had to get jacked up to play an MMA fighter. It wasn't like Christian Bale's crazy weight drop/gain.

Fun article on Hollywood Steroid Use: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywood-steroid-use-a-list-609091

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

Given that this is the Batman that both Snyder and Affleck grew up with, coupled with Snyder having a bit more say in the story this time, that wouldn't be a surprising inspiration point for the portrayal at all.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gatts posted:

EDIT: I'm down for Mastercheif's Spartan Armor with pointy ears Batman.

You should be happy then, you've gotten 3 movies of this.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Affleck is also known for being a comic book fan, isn't he? (or a "nerd" as they are called) I seem to recall him being more of a Superman fan, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
He's not suppose to look like a murderer, Bruce Wayne is a fantastically charming billionaire spend thrift and thrill seeker. Ben Affleck can play the hell out of that. He's suppose to be charming.

It's when he puts on the mask that he's suppose to be intimidating. Which I think he will be, he's even sort of done the "Batman" voice in Daredevil which honestly other than his performance over all how he spoke as Daredevil was fine.

• Locked thread