Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

rotinaj posted:

Pierce's rescue mission.

Why is the giant soda can called Paul?

Because why not Paul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

rotinaj posted:

Pierce's rescue mission.

You can get some more info on that if you bring Kinzie and Pierce together and pay attention to their banter.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
It's too bad a lot of alien weapons don't have alternate models. The disintegrator really ought to look like one of those Klingon disruptor thingies. Or one of those 50s raygun rifles.

rotinaj posted:

Pierce's rescue mission.

That was a gag they had when Enter the Dominatrix was still a thing, I would assume they just didn't feel like changing it.

ZearothK posted:

You can get some more info on that if you bring Kinzie and Pierce together and pay attention to their banter.
I've heard this exchange twice now and gained nothing from it except that there are things that ought not have been seen back at the White House.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I just started playing this. Game of the year. All years.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm at the end of the game with nearly everything done, and am having some issues with challenges.

Taunting isn't so bad this time, as you can taunt while wanted and it still counts, so that's no big deal. Just letting others know.

However, DFA and stomp kills are seemingly crazy time consuming late-game. One problem is that "enemy" and "alien" are sometimes specific and sometimes not. So sometimes you can just go kill the groups of national guard dudes hanging out around the armory, but other times you can't. Those guys, and every alien that shows up for me now, seem to take like 3+ stomps or DFA hits to die. And the DFA nuke seems to not count at all. I guess I was supposed to be doing these during virus injections and stuff?

The "experimental tech" achievement is a little weird too, as I believe it wants "aliens" specifically, whereas the individual weapon challenges sometimes let you use "enemies" instead. I think most of my inflation kills were on national guard dudes, for example, so I probably need to just keep doing those on aliens until it hits. I also have the 100 TK kills challenge done but not the 100 TK alien kills achievement, I'm sure a lot of my TK kills were from Genki activities and whatnot and thus not "aliens".

So yeah, any tips on ways to actually get DFA and stomp kills that count towards the challenges/achievements would be excellent. As it is now I get like two regular guys everytime I'm wanted, and then it's just the jumping dudes, murderbots, aircraft and ball robots, which are even harder to do any of these kills on.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 23, 2013

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

anyone else hardlocking after finishing the Ben King rescue mission? I'm on PS3.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i think i broke blast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPMa7kWMmC0

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Protocol7 posted:

Pick whatever voice you like, they aren't gender-specific.

For me, it's either British Male or Laura Bailey.

Sounds more Australian to me, but yeah that male voice is the one I always use.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

I mean, this is just me, but Laura Bailey forever.

Just pick female, and enjoy the best VA for a sociopath puckish rogue.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RatHat posted:

Sounds more Australian to me

Which is the exact reason why my Boss through Saints Row 2, 3 & 4 has been Saxton Hale from TF2. His particular brand of bold, hippie-hating violence means the game fits him like a glove.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I chose a female character and I almost kind of regret it, because certain scenes and romances would have definitely been funnier as a dude.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Vargs posted:

I chose a female character and I almost kind of regret it, because certain scenes and romances would have definitely been funnier as a dude.

So go to Image As Designed and change your gender!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So what's ya'll's favorite missions so far?

Mine is Johnny Gat's recruitment mission. 2D Side scrolling beat-em-up goodness.. :allears:

Though his loyality mission is just as fun. Playing Genkibowl while catching up with your best buddy.

It's a shame you can't replay missions. I'm sure Idolninja is working on that though.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 24, 2013

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Anybody actually uses the regular alien weapons? I never used the laser stuff from SR3, and this again is the case here, they just don't seem powerful enough.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Starhawk64 posted:

So what's ya'll's favorite mission?

Mine is Johnny Gat's recruitment mission. 2D Side scrolling beat-em-up goodness.. :allears:

It's a shame you can't replay missions. I'm sure Idolninja is working on that though.

The one that certainly put the biggest smile on my face was Gat's loyalty mission. It's like the only time the Boss has ever spoken with someone as a complete equal, and the conversation was so casual and playful. Plus, Genkibowl with The Boys Are Back In Town? Perfection.

VisAbsoluta posted:

Anybody actually uses the regular alien weapons? I never used the laser stuff from SR3, and this again is the case here, they just don't seem powerful enough.

The alien pistol is pretty good especially with its unique upgrade and if you're good at headshots you can basically keep firing forever. Nevertheless, it's a good idea to give 'em a few upgrades (especially the rifle) as you're restricted to only them a few times outside of the simulation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

VisAbsoluta posted:

They are worth sticking some upgrades into, as you are required to use them a few times. Otherwise, no.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

VisAbsoluta posted:

I like the rocket launcher but that's about it. I find the overheating is really annoying.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

VisAbsoluta posted:

I find the Alien SMG pretty beastly when upgraded and dual-wielded. Just fire in short bursts as to avoid overheating. It is worth upgrading the alien guns since upgrades for them do carry over into the real world which is restricted to those.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Did australia really ban the game for the shaundi loyalty mission? because uh.

That was probably the tamest sidequest I've done so far. Okay to slaughter and cause wonton destruction. Drugs however are bad m'kay.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That was probably the tamest sidequest I've done so far. Okay to slaughter and cause wonton destruction. Drugs however are bad m'kay.
Yeah, that's exactly what I heard, drugs.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The game just crashed on me in the final section of the very lengthy last mission and I'm upset. :mad:

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

GreenBuckanneer posted:

No, but they were going to so that mission got removed from the AU version.

e: Or it got banned and then they removed it and resubmitted it and it cleared I dunno what the exact process is

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
So what happened to the Dewynters Blues mission that was in the leaked achievement list from a while back? There was one in there about Donnie too so were they fakeouts? Cut content? Stuff from the DLC? Anybody know?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

I mean, this is just me, but Laura Bailey forever.

This is all right thinking people.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's specifically drugs tied to bonuses. When you smoke the stuff, your super powers become unlimited, and the Shaunies gain powers. You can smoke drugs in Aus games, from what I know about their new rating systems, but it has to either have no visible effect, or a strictly a negative effect. If drugs impact the player in a way that encourages then to do so, it's not okay. Same thing with State of Decay and drugs that healed you.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Oh man. Oleg. Josh. Even Viola. :smith:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Funkmaster General posted:

It's specifically drugs tied to bonuses. When you smoke the stuff, your super powers become unlimited, and the Shaunies gain powers. You can smoke drugs in Aus games, from what I know about their new rating systems, but it has to either have no visible effect, or a strictly a negative effect. If drugs impact the player in a way that encourages then to do so, it's not okay. Same thing with State of Decay and drugs that healed you.
It sounds like the American Comics Code to me, where they could only show villains doing bad and being hated by people, and stuff like that. Does Australia have any rules against portrayals of vampires?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm playing through Saints Row the Third at the moment. I recently started a new game.
Early on in this playthrough, I tried out some cheats for a little bit. Then I disabled them and went back to playing the game. However, since then I haven't got any achievements, including ones for missions (like finishing Act One) that you can't not get. Do cheats permanently disable achievements? Is there anyway to get rid of this without starting over?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Chickenwalker posted:

So what happened to the Dewynters Blues mission that was in the leaked achievement list from a while back? There was one in there about Donnie too so were they fakeouts? Cut content? Stuff from the DLC? Anybody know?

I was kinda curious that Kinzie offhandedly mentioned Viola being dead in the cutscene before you save Johnny because they never bring her up outside of the Matt rescue mission. From a story perspective it seemed really out of place that they'd mention missing her after not talking about her the entire game.

I'm gonna guess Zimos comes back in DLC though because the Boss specifically mentions "we don't know if Zimos made it" in the Johnny loyalty mission. Which sucks because I don't like Zimos much.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Krazyface posted:

I'm playing through Saints Row the Third at the moment. I recently started a new game.
Early on in this playthrough, I tried out some cheats for a little bit. Then I disabled them and went back to playing the game. However, since then I haven't got any achievements, including ones for missions (like finishing Act One) that you can't not get. Do cheats permanently disable achievements? Is there anyway to get rid of this without starting over?

You have to roll back to a save before you activated the cheats.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Krazyface posted:

Using cheats will flag your save. Hope you have a save from before you started using cheats!

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It sounds like the American Comics Code to me, where they could only show villains doing bad and being hated by people, and stuff like that. Does Australia have any rules against portrayals of vampires?

If you think Australia's bad, look at loving China. You're not allowed to have skeletons, time travel, or :airquote:apocalyptic themes:airquote:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bovineicide posted:

If you think Australia's bad, look at loving China. You're not allowed to have skeletons, time travel, or :airquote:apocalyptic themes:airquote:
China's a totalitarian government so that seems like a really bad comparison to make, from Australia's perspective.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

VisAbsoluta posted:

When my choices are between alien guns or That Gun, Robocop's gun, the gun from Aliens, and so on the alien weapons are going to lose every time. They really should have had the sci-fi skins or something. Style is everything in Saints Row!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 24, 2013

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
gently caress it then, it's just achievements.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Surprise, bad things aren't black and white. I don't know why games have to be. That's incredibly boring.

also achievements suddenly aren't working for me :|

There is a mod that disables the cheat flagging though if you're down for that.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Bovineicide posted:

Okay, these are all pretty arbitrary but I could see some vague reasoning behind skeletons (too spooky!) and apocalyptic themes (too depressing!) , but... Time travel? Really?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Okay, these are all pretty arbitrary but I could see some vague reasoning behind skeletons (too spooky!) and apocalyptic themes (too depressing!) , but... Time travel? Really?
My completely wild guess is that the temptation to go back to the 60s and portray the cultural revolution not exactly as the textbooks say would be too great.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

nerdbot posted:

I'm gonna guess Zimos comes back in DLC though because the Boss specifically mentions "we don't know if Zimos made it" in the Johnny loyalty mission. Which sucks because I don't like Zimos much.

Enter the Dominatrix is supposed to be the first DLC, and that sounds like the kind of scenario where Zimos would be thematically appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Clearly it's because China is the only country that understands the inherent silliness of time travel. If time travel exists, why not just give the technology for it to earlier people, allowing for more advanced time travel. Because it doesn't exist now, it will never exist. :colbert:

• Locked thread