Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I think the only Technic I ever built was the Mindstorms R2-D2, so I'm not sure if that counts.

I also built a THROWBOT or two. I'm pretty sure that doesn't count as any kind of Lego. Or any kind of toy, for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some of y'all need to get your rear end to bricklink and buy some gears then, because technic is a heap of fun.

The pieces are pretty drat cheap too, because the basic pieces haven't changed much at all since the 80's so you can buy axles and spacers by the truckload.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

xzzy posted:

:monocle:

I have entire tub full of technic pieces that I'll sit out on the coffee table and make gears do stupid things while I watch TV.

Occasionally I even make something cool.

haha that is great!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

HWM-3C Fusileer (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It's so jaunty and happy!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It reminds me of The Maxx, which used to be a comic book and an MTV series in the 90s.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

It's right arm is too heavy! She's bowling over! Bail out!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Oh wow. I saw a link on a CNN story about a new tall Lego tower about the upcoming small Simpsons line, and that had a link to the anti-Simpsons 'petition' thread on Lego's community forum.

It's terrible.

It seems like it's all "Won't someone please think of THE CHILDREN" moms and sheltered kids saying how awful and immoral the show is (despite never watching anything beyond clips). There are users named Godlover1123 or Jesusrox10. Guess they don't have problems with the violent and racist Lone Ranger, or the violent and mystical Star Wars (which has recently put a huge emphasis on portraying the bad guys as the good guys)...I had no idea conservative Christians still hated The Simpsons so much.
Plus, the forum design is awful and actively obnoxious, and the moderation is poor at best.

In other news, the 2013 Star Wars Advent Calendar has been unearthed. Looks like it's 5 minifigs (exclusive Santa Jango, young Boba, Genosian, Endor Rebel Trooper, and a Scout Trooper), an R5 droid, and 2 different battle droids. The microbuilds look about as good as they did last year--crap, in other words. A droid fighter, Palpatine's shuttle, Anakin's starfighter, a droid dropship, Bespin cloudcar, gunracks, clone dropship, Acclamator Star Destroyer, AT-TE, AT-TE Dropship, Slave-1.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I thought the Simpsons controversy had died in the mid 90's.

The show is positively tame by today's standards.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I haven't watched the Simpsons in forever, but did it really encourage or involve cussing? I can't recall anything worse than maybe a "drat." Also the theme is most likely being targeted towards teenagers and adults.

And yeah, many people in the English speaking world find violence in media less objectionable than dirty words, which continues to boggle my mind.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wonder if they will adjust the pricing on that Advent calendar this year, because it seems like they had a hard time even selling them at $10 off last year.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

Ugh, they are recycling star wars micro builds from 2 years ago already. The drop ship is identical. A slave II model with new colors. Is it that hard to at least try a new model, especially when they are some expensive. I passed last year and didn't miss it. I will be doing the same again this year.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
The Star Wars advent calendar from two years ago was one of the big things to get me back into Lego; my girlfriend got it for me and we were super excited to see what each day held. It's so disappointing that they've gotten worse over time, rather than improving. :sigh:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

smackfu posted:

I wonder if they will adjust the pricing on that Advent calendar this year, because it seems like they had a hard time even selling them at $10 off last year.

I actually saw several 2012 calendars at TRU a couple weeks ago. They've clearanced and discounted them multiple times in the last year and still can't unload them.

And the guy who posted all those flickr pictures for 2013s apparently paid $58 (!) for his at TRU. For 253 pieces and 5 minifigs. TRU tax was at least $5, possibly as much as $10, so Lego's Star Wars tax is particularly high again.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

So the local Target has a display of all the Star Wars minifigs, including ones that are -NEW!-

In that display case is a Max Rebo.

What loving set do I need to buy to get a Max Rebo fig?!

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

75020 -Jabbas Sail Barge has the awesome Rebo fig.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
EDIT: IGNORE ME

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 22, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

I like clear bricks.

nws
Jul 20, 2004
Part time SCUBA Instructor......

LingcodKilla posted:

Heated baby surrender box.

I probably shouldn't have, but I laughed.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

I like clear bricks.

Hello, new wallpaper! Very nice.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Speaking of Technics - I wanted to build a tiny motor stator and rotor using 3D printing that would be Technics compatible. Problem is I just need to find magnetically soft materials that someone offers 3D printing (laser smelting) of.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Three-Phase posted:

I like clear bricks.

Any chance of this in higher resolution?

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008
Apparently Cuusoo is having a mini-drama over some proposed Jurassic Park set:

http://www.reddit.com/r/cuusoo/comments/1kxbts/brickqueen_banned_from_cuusoo_after_people_with/

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

MaliciousOnion posted:

Any chance of this in higher resolution?

Yes, I do have this in higher resolution!

Oh wait, you wanted to see the file. Let me see what I can do.

Problem: IMGUR compresses the living daylights out of file size, even if it's under 1MB it gets squashed to like 350kB.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 24, 2013

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Try minus.com for large files.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Try this link, it's using this thing called "UltraIMG". Never used it before but it handles files up to 10MB no problem compared to IMGUR that does crap to files that are even under 1MB.

http://www.ultraimg.com/images/tHkUy.jpg

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 24, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Merchant of Death posted:

Wheel from 4481 hailfire droid, it was well used as a wheel in a clever way.
Yeah, here's the wheel on bricklink. It only came in that one set and good luck getting one under $25 USD.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

einTier posted:

Yeah, here's the wheel on bricklink. It only came in that one set and good luck getting one under $25 USD.

Dang, I'm glad I got 6 of em before anyone cared!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I'm refitting my Delorean to make it more screen-accurate - I'll make sure to post photos of it when it's done. The biggest change is adding more of the aluminum "track" that runs along the back quarter of the car and along the front bumper - the stock build conveys it half-assedly with 4 "grill" pieces, but I'm expanding that to be 14 grill pieces that run along the roof, down the side, and over to the rear bumper to the underside of the car. I also ended up buying some really slick SUPER SHINY grill pieces to replace the ones the set came with.

I'm also widening the front bumper by 1 stud, which requires partially rebuilding it. Once I do that, it'll be wide enough to accomodate 3 grill pieces since they were present in the movie car, as well.

I'm also redoing the hood a bit so it's "smoother" - the (slightly modified) BTTF3 hood time circuits will still work on the modified hood, as well.

I also bought replacement grill pieces in other colors so I can swap them out with the chrome ones if I want - I got light-blue, and GLOW IN THE DARK. :krad:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 24, 2013

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Xenomrph posted:

I also bought replacement grill pieces in other colors so I can swap them out with the chrome ones if I want - I got light-blue, and GLOW IN THE DARK. :krad:

You've always been one of my favorite posters, and now you're posting in one of my favorite threads and I can't wait to see the results :allears:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Three-Phase posted:

Try this link, it's using this thing called "UltraIMG". Never used it before but it handles files up to 10MB no problem compared to IMGUR that does crap to files that are even under 1MB.

http://www.ultraimg.com/images/tHkUy.jpg

This is awesome, thanks!

edit:

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 24, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I call this "Tourmaline".

Link to high resolution (3000x2000) with much less compression: http://www.ultraimg.com/images/174cd.jpg

I need to run to Beachwood Place and get another cup of 1x2 transparents. :getin:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 24, 2013

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

My mind has been blown and I'm not ashamed to say it:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

InfinEight posted:

What is mind blowing about this?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Using one of those spinny plates without the spinny part to make a smooth spot for the axle to sit?

I've never encountered that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

xzzy posted:

Using one of those spinny plates without the spinny part to make a smooth spot for the axle to sit?

Ohhhhh, I get it now. Very clever.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

xzzy posted:

Exactly this, that axle has a flat 'stop' on one end that prevents it from going all the way through a hole, but normal plates with technic holes in them don't have space for the 'stop' to sit flush. However, the turntable base leaves just enough space for the 'stop', meaning that the axle is held flush in place without any play.

So yeah, I was pretty impressed!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is that from an official set? I've never once seen lego use a part in a "broken" state like that. They tend to either make new parts for situations like that, or work around the limitation.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

InfinEight posted:

Where is this from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tkytko
Jul 15, 2007

"Hisui-chan~, it seems a few things broke."

"... Nee-san, please refrain from cleaning again."

xzzy posted:

Is that from an official set? I've never once seen lego use a part in a "broken" state like that. They tend to either make new parts for situations like that, or work around the limitation.

If you mean the turntable base without the spin-y part, they've used that in a few sets before. I know at least the Medieval Market Village uses some as decoration.