Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sizone posted:

TMNT Pizza Crunchabungas. I had forgotten about them until this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk33tGuBKwc

Everyone knows the quintessential TMNT snack was the Turtle Pie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SflSwaNc0tI

"Fresh from the sewers to you."

Uhhh...k. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

pastor of muppets posted:

I'm not sure if this still exists in the era of digital cable, but in my mind this is an iconic 90's thing.

The Prevue Channel (and later TV Guide Channel.)

It still exists, it's TVGN (TV Guide Network) now, it doesn't have the listings anymore. It's just a rerun channel now.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

Everyone knows the quintessential TMNT snack was the Turtle Pie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SflSwaNc0tI

"Fresh from the sewers to you."

Uhhh...k. :barf:

I could never understand why they went with vanilla. Lime would have made sense. Watermelon, vaguely. Kiwi, unlikely but still at least green.
But vanilla? Why? It just seems so poorly-matched to bipedal reptiles living in the sewers, scarfing pizza and fighting ninja.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Darthemed posted:

I could never understand why they went with vanilla. Lime would have made sense. Watermelon, vaguely. Kiwi, unlikely but still at least green.
But vanilla? Why? It just seems so poorly-matched to bipedal reptiles living in the sewers, scarfing pizza and fighting ninja.

Vanilla's a lot easier to sell.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

pastor of muppets posted:

I'm not sure if this still exists in the era of digital cable, but in my mind this is an iconic 90's thing.

The Prevue Channel (and later TV Guide Channel.)

It was handy on basic cable, but they eventually expanded it to digital cable channels, so it'd take twenty loving minutes for the whole thing to circle around (pointless, since if you had digital, you had the guide feature). They'd also do school closings/delays as well, and it was just as painfully slow.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

DrBouvenstein posted:

The only time I've seen it in the past several years is when I had to stay in cheap motel rooms for work.

"Work." Yes...."work"

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

WebDog posted:

ooohh memories. Yeah that's the exact one I had.

Out of curiosity did you fad kick in around 1993? The main fads I recall around that time were basketball cards (the novelty was something in Australia) and following yoyos there was a huge marbles craze that only ended after broken windows and teachers twisting ankles in pits.

Around 95 to 96 in Melbourne. Not sure about later then that as i moved to High school in 97 and the craze didnt follow.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
On yoyo chat, these were the weapons of choice when I was a kid. I'm not sure if the were late 80s or early 90s though.

The black ones and the gold ones were supposed to be rare but everybody ended up with them anyway.

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008

Plan Z posted:

It was handy on basic cable, but they eventually expanded it to digital cable channels, so it'd take twenty loving minutes for the whole thing to circle around (pointless, since if you had digital, you had the guide feature). They'd also do school closings/delays as well, and it was just as painfully slow.

The upper video portion also gradually took up more space as time went on, leaving about 2 channels visible at a time, making it even more of a waste.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I can't remember/search up the name of the guy with the skunk stripe in his hair who used to be on the TV Guide Channel when it was still a slow crawl of channel listings with some D-level content about celebrities or something but I saw him recently hosting some Ninja Warrior clone where people run through an obstacle course and get bashed by various padded things and fall into the mud.

Anybody remember that guy's name? It's making my brain itch.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

syscall girl posted:

I can't remember/search up the name of the guy with the skunk stripe in his hair who used to be on the TV Guide Channel when it was still a slow crawl of channel listings with some D-level content about celebrities or something but I saw him recently hosting some Ninja Warrior clone where people run through an obstacle course and get bashed by various padded things and fall into the mud.

Anybody remember that guy's name? It's making my brain itch.

John Henson was hilarious on Talk Soup and Wipeout makes my inner 6 year old laugh.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Talk Soup is very 90's itself. I loving loved that show (especially when it was hosted by Henson), and it's a shame that there's a very small amount of it online (maybe about an hour total of best-of comps on youtube.) That's a show that definitely will never be released in any streaming platform/DVD, given all the rights they'd have to clear. The E! channel ran the poo poo out of that show, too. There was a daily half hour show which would run 4-6 times a day (both before and after Stern, usually), and then the hour-long weekend show that would run another 6-8 times a day.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Laser Cow posted:

On yoyo chat, these were the weapons of choice when I was a kid. I'm not sure if the were late 80s or early 90s though.

I'd say either early 90's or both. I remember these being the bee's knee during primary and early lower secondary school.

And only scrubs went for anything other than the "super" Yo-Yo's.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Pope Guilty posted:

Did somebody say 90's shareware games?

Imagine my surprise when I found out that the full version of this game is abandonware and free to download. Also imagine my surprise when I upgraded my rig to Windows 7 only to find it won't run this game :negative:

I'll get DosBox running eventually I guess just for this.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

I never was (and still am not) able to do a loving yo-yo. It goes down, then just hangs there at the bottom no matter what I did/do. So when everyone else was showing off their sick nasty yo-yo tricks, I ended up getting this:

Motherfucker always came back, hiding my secret shame.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Moose King posted:

I never was (and still am not) able to do a loving yo-yo. It goes down, then just hangs there at the bottom no matter what I did/do. So when everyone else was showing off their sick nasty yo-yo tricks, I ended up getting this:

Motherfucker always came back, hiding my secret shame.

Also the commercials were '90s as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U_g3jYBJVQ

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Erasers that came in cool shapes, but couldn't erase for poo poo.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Aug 22, 2013

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
To go back to the mallchat, although it is currently undergoing renovations to look more modern, the West Edmonton Mall has (and for the most part still does) look very 90's.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Oh Edmonton, having the biggest mall in North America is the most 90s thing of them all. :allears:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Erasers that came in cool shapes, but couldn't erase for poo poo.

Those sunglasses erasers. I was at my parents house the other day and found some of those, and some dinosaur shaped ones.

The bigger thing for me was the pencil-top erasers, pictured here in a 90's-eque color assortment. You're supposed to jam them on the end of your pencil after the one built in ran out, but the one built in never ran out for me.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've still got two sets of Astrojax. One set lights up steady/strobe when I finally decide to replace batteries in them. Thanks to this thread I'm thinking of getting them out for when I'm out on my longboard at night.

Their website redirects to a bigger company but has their a small forum dedicated to Astrojax.

Does anybody remember Biker Mice from Mars? I've been told I was a huge fan of the show but I can't remember a thing about it. What I do know about was the action figures that came with bikes were pretty awesome and in my toybox for ages. The motorcycles were pretty sturdy and each had a cool thing it did. Wiki tells me they tried another run of the show in 2006.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
A staple of 90s television watching was seeing every so often a Matthew Lesko commercial for his book "Free Money to Change Your Life". I could never understand how running around dressed as the Riddler and shouting really went in line with getting government grants, but I guess that makes him the genius and not me. One day while I was in Annapolis, I saw his car parked on the street. I knew it was his car because it was bright yellow and had question marks all over it with the books title printed on the side. I looked around, but didn't see him so I can't confirm if he wore the suit in his everyday goings-on.

Commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPC3mLNL3B0

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hector Beerlioz posted:

A staple of 90s television watching was seeing every so often a Matthew Lesko commercial for his book "Free Money to Change Your Life". I could never understand how running around dressed as the Riddler and shouting really went in line with getting government grants, but I guess that makes him the genius and not me. One day while I was in Annapolis, I saw his car parked on the street. I knew it was his car because it was bright yellow and had question marks all over it with the books title printed on the side. I looked around, but didn't see him so I can't confirm if he wore the suit in his everyday goings-on.

Commercial:

He's still going, just online now: http://www.lesko.com/

He's gotten way more frantic and crazy since 1998 it seems, I remember his infomercials from as late as like 2006 and he seemed much crazier then.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Commercial:

I've seen him in the suit. He's a weird cat.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mechanical pencil cases with bells and whistles (well, not literally but mine had a pop-up thermometer):

(No that's not the one I had!)

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Oh Edmonton, having the biggest mall in North America is the most 90s thing of them all. :allears:

Are there even any new malls being built actually? I moved away from Los Angeles in 2000 and when I visited it again last year, there weren't any new malls built and only one had a new addition built. The only new things built in the decade I was gone seemed to be promenades or outdoor shopping complexes.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
They just build those power centres now. It's basically like a mall exploded so everyone has their own parking lot and building in a small area.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Mechanical pencil cases with bells and whistles (well, not literally but mine had a pop-up thermometer):

(No that's not the one I had!)

I saw some pencil cases in the Disney store the other day and got super excited.. Until I found out that they were basically flat boxes with nothing special :(

The pencil cases of the 80's and 90's were awesome. Secret compartments, and mechanical pop widgets made a kid feel like they had some secret cool spy gear for going to school!

I used to bring battlebeasts to school with me, and the pencil case would be their base! And my Trapper keeper would be like the battle space.

Battle beast commercialhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL4zNgZPPHw

I know they started in 87, but they continued into the 90's. I was still buying them as late as 93.

Sorry I can't link directly to the tumblr due to websense >.< But this pencil case is awesome!http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...Q9QEwAw&dur=496

Kilazar has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Aug 23, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Zack_Gochuck posted:

They just build those power centres now. It's basically like a mall exploded so everyone has their own parking lot and building in a small area.

I'm not sure what a "power centre" is, but is it anything like the trend for cramming a bunch of smaller stores and restaurants into the same area to create a fake-y "town center" type of thing?

There's one going up "one town over" from me (well...another one, there's already one there now, as well as several box stores that are near it,) and it looks absurd. Right now, it's maybe 5 or 6 buildings, each one just slightly different looking, architecturally, so as to give the impression that they all got built over the decades with their different styles, rather than just being both a literal and figurative facade. They even have little freakin' windows and poo poo on the "upper floors" that I'm 90% sure are just empty space, to make it look like there could be little offices or apartments up there. Yeah, come to the law offices of Bouvenstein and Partners, we're above the Panera. That screams quality law services right there.

Ooh, nice, I actually found a picture:

And from the other side:

The irony being the town I actually live in has a vibrant, thriving, REAL downtown pedestrian-mall type place:

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm not sure what a "power centre" is, but is it anything like the trend for cramming a bunch of smaller stores and restaurants into the same area to create a fake-y "town center" type of thing?

It's basically a Wal-Mart, Costco, Grocery Store, Canadian Tire and a Best Buy, all with their own massive buildings and parking lots. Then a bunch of smaller businesses in plazas like Subway, Pets Unlimited, etc. A bunch of big box stores take over a street, and little stores flock around them to get the business runoff, basically.

Here is my local Power Centre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stavanger_Drive_Shopping_Area

Not to be confused with it's baby brother, the Smart Centre.

Zack_Gochuck has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Aug 23, 2013

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Laser Cow posted:

The black ones and the gold ones were supposed to be rare but everybody ended up with them anyway.

We had this craze in Finland too, it lasted maybe a month or so. Some foreign chick who was supposed to be the grand yoyo master even came to our tiny town to spread the message and judge one or two contests. I also participated (and sucked).

The galaxy was the rarest one, right?

I can't remember how you got them, did they come with a bottle of soda?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Edmonton is still going strong with the biggest shopping centre thing.
http://www.southedmontoncommon.com/

I work right near here, and it's dead during the day and a complete loving zoo from 5-9 and all day on the weekends.

2 Tim Horton's! 6 restaurants! A Best Buy AND a Future Shop!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
One of the places I grew up always had a huge problem with its downtown. Lot's of homeless people, druggies and teenagers always loitering everywhere and lot's of business that was legitimate but not the kind of stuff that got foot traffic or created a nice downtown environment (stuff like holding companies, accountants and real estate agencies). Their solution during the late 90's was to give huge tax breaks to companies and get them to develop it somehow, but naturally the town was very hostile to foreign interests taking over their beloved city center. This lead to companies getting very poorly worded contracts from the city guaranteeing them tax breaks and essentially building a second downtown about a mile away from the real downtown.

It's still jarring to go into that section because it was built in the style of an extremely 90's SoCal outdoor mall, juice bar and all (it's now a sandwich shop). Meanwhile the actual downtown is thriving because not idiots stepped in and built poo poo like brew pubs and pizza joints that people actually want to go to a visit.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

Metanaut posted:

The galaxy was the rarest one, right?
I can't remember how you got them, did they come with a bottle of soda?
I think you had to collect bottle lids or can tabs or something.

We didn't have anyone visit to do tricks for yo-yo but we did have some Brazilian guy come and show us tricks with the mini size football. I think that is what they promoted for Italia 90 but I don't think it really took off. Also I think since the yo-yo was before the football it must have been late 80s. When did I get so old.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Solar Winds haunts me and I can't really explain why. My brother and I convinced our parents to buy it for us out the shareware rack at a Faye's drug store. What I remember about it can be broken down into the following list:

1) The combat seemed awesome. (I'm pretty sure it wasn't.)
2) There was an elusive sequel we obsessed about for years but never played. (I still wonder how it was.)
3) Part of the game involved flying in one direction for about twenty minutes.
4) When you got there, the ships you had to fight were way too hard. (They were the main enemy ships. I think you meet one near the beginning. They're dudes with horns.)
5) It took forever to figure out the point allocation system that let you "customize" your lovely ship.

We were convinced we were missing large parts of the game because of what I can only imagine was a glitch wherein, on route to #3/#4, you'd sometimes see stars/ships that disappeared when you stopped.

God, I hope somebody else remembers this and can fill me in.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Frankston posted:

None of these in your neck of the woods?

Or these? (More of a boy thing I guess)

My school just latched onto every single craze going I think.

I hat both of these. Tamagotchis ended up banned in our school, to a massive uprage. They would DIE if we didn't watch over them, and we raged at our teacher when she took them and locked them away. Like refusing to do our tasks and what not. In the end, the principal ended up sending out letters to our parents telling them they should confiscate our Tamagotchis and throw them out and NEVER buy us stuff like that again. It didn't help though, and after 4 - 5 months, our interest was stuck on some other stuff.

Fingerboards were huge some years later, about late 90s to early 2000s. I had 7 different ones and we constantly trained to get better with them. I still have one left which I will take out, clean up and try to do tricks with. I never was any good with them, though.

e:

Laser Cow posted:

Those were huge in Norway for a while too. They came and went every 3 years or so. I had two different cokes, one Sprite and one Fanta. And drat if I didn't love them. Still do. Yo-yos are great fun and a grat way to kill time and vases, flower pots and hitting your friends in the eyes or the groin. Good times.

Datasmurf has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Aug 24, 2013

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I liked the Megablocks sets they released at the height of fingerboards. They were basically finger board set ups but you had a megablocks dude you could customize who would ride around on top of the board and a little stick thingy that let you control the boarder. The sets came with all kinds of grind rails and half pipes and you could put together your own badass skate part/Tony Hawk level.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

DrBouvenstein posted:

There's one going up "one town over" from me (well...another one, there's already one there now, as well as several box stores that are near it,) and it looks absurd. Right now, it's maybe 5 or 6 buildings, each one just slightly different looking, architecturally, so as to give the impression that they all got built over the decades with their different styles, rather than just being both a literal and figurative facade. They even have little freakin' windows and poo poo on the "upper floors" that I'm 90% sure are just empty space, to make it look like there could be little offices or apartments up there. Yeah, come to the law offices of Bouvenstein and Partners, we're above the Panera. That screams quality law services right there.

And from the other side:

The irony being the town I actually live in has a vibrant, thriving, REAL downtown pedestrian-mall type place:

Oh Burlington.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

And from the other side:

In the retail development business, that sort of ersatz town center is usually called a lifestyle center for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

tehschulman posted:

I haven't had a cable TV hookup in like 7 years but the TV Guide channel is probably unruly as hell these days with hundreds of channels being available. BACK IN MY DAY you could watch the TV Guide/Prevue channel and see all the listings in 5 minutes.

Still though I clearly remember sitting there for 5 minutes waiting for a certain channel to come up then without fail would be distracted or what not and miss it.

Nth Doctor posted:

Hackers owns. I work "Hacking the Gibson" into casual conversation all the time. :colbert:

Me too! My wireless network is actually called the Gibson.

Also thanks to whoever posted that link way back when to make your own homemad Gak. I look forward to having weird residue on my hands after I make a bunch of fart sounds.

• Locked thread