Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Paul Bunyan made Lake Superior when he wanted to store some ice in a recently-cleared valley and then forgot about it. He shouldn't be that far west. :colbert:

e: Why have him up there twice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Ras Het posted:

What's with "none" in Mauritania and UAE? No doubt some horrible reason...

It's not Mauritania, it's Western Sahara which doesn't officially have anything when it comes to anything on most maps. As for the U.A.E., it's because the legislature is made up of 40 members, half of whom are selected by the seven Emirs and the other half, only advisors, who are picked from an electoral college. In effect, there's no suffrage.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

LP97S posted:

It's not Mauritania, it's Western Sahara which doesn't officially have anything when it comes to anything on most maps.

Ah, right, I'm an idiot. Thanks.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

LP97S posted:

It's not Mauritania, it's Western Sahara which doesn't officially have anything when it comes to anything on most maps. As for the U.A.E., it's because the legislature is made up of 40 members, half of whom are selected by the seven Emirs and the other half, only advisors, who are picked from an electoral college. In effect, there's no suffrage.
The cause in this case is a little more nuanced. The map is a few years old, and its explanation for Western Sahara is "none; a UN-sponsored voter identification campaign not yet completed", which is a direct copy/paste from some older versions of the CIA fact book I've found. Today the CIA reports suffrage as being "none; (residents of Moroccan-controlled Western Sahara participate in Moroccan elections)". Whereas residents of the territory controlled by the Polisario Front don't vote, because the Polisario Front controls a one-party government in exile. But that also doesn't matter much, since the area they control is some desert inhabited mainly by nomads and four refugee camps in Algeria.

So if you live on the Moroccan side, you vote as normal in Moroccan elections. Otherwise you don't vote.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Peanut President posted:

You want to hear about stupid time zones look up Arziona. They are the only state in the Union not to observe Daylight Savings. The Navajo Nation does, however.

For extra confusion, the Hopi Reservation, which is an enclave within the Navajo Nation, doesn't use DST either.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
That's Western Sahara (which isn't even a proper country), not Mauritania, although UAE is pretty disturbing. Most of what we hear about it is the massive glittering skyscrapers in Dubai, but it is actually an incredibly backwards place.

edit: oh there is another page :doh:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Map of which countries use or used Daylight Saving Time

Living in Northern Japan during the Summer was a weird experience, with the sun setting around 6 P.M. and rising at around 3:30 A.M., for a place on the same LongitudeLatitude as Montreal.

univbee fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 24, 2013

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Peanut President posted:

You want to hear about stupid time zones look up Arziona. They are the only state in the Union not to observe Daylight Savings. The Navajo Nation does, however. Indiana was another weird one, originally on Central Time, most of the state eventually switched to Eastern. Some counties didn't observe daylight savings so Indiana ended up with 3 time zones: Eastern, Indiana Central, and Central. Finally the state told the Indiana Central time zone counties to pick Eastern or Central, almost all of them switched to Eastern.

edit: Looking it up on wiki, Hawaii also doesn't observe DST.

Dude, not observing DST isn't stupid, it is awesome. DST is the loving worse. The only people who benefit from it are capitalist oppressors.

Living in Indiana when it had no DST was the best :colbert: I left the state shortly after the change because it wasn't worth living there anymore.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

wdarkk posted:

What's with Spain then?

Franco.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Peanut President posted:

You want to hear about stupid time zones look up Arziona. They are the only state in the Union not to observe Daylight Savings. The Navajo Nation does, however. Indiana was another weird one, originally on Central Time, most of the state eventually switched to Eastern. Some counties didn't observe daylight savings so Indiana ended up with 3 time zones: Eastern, Indiana Central, and Central. Finally the state told the Indiana Central time zone counties to pick Eastern or Central, almost all of them switched to Eastern.

edit: Looking it up on wiki, Hawaii also doesn't observe DST.

When I lived in El Centro, California, the local television stations were shared with Yuma, Arizona and set everything to their time. This was awesome as a little kid because I was able to "stay up late" and see programs I normally wouldn't be able to.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Shbobdb posted:

Dude, not observing DST isn't stupid, it is awesome. DST is the loving worse. The only people who benefit from it are capitalist oppressors.

Living in Indiana when it had no DST was the best :colbert: I left the state shortly after the change because it wasn't worth living there anymore.

DST is great you monster. Or would you rather the sun come up at 3:45 in the morning in June?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shbobdb posted:

What's horrible is having an area that observes it (The Navajo reservation) and then an area that doesn't (Arizona) and then an area that does (Grand Canyon National Park) and so on.

Or as I like to call it, my vacation last year.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

computer parts posted:

What's horrible is having an area that observes it (The Navajo reservation) and then an area that doesn't (Arizona) and then an area that does (Grand Canyon National Park) and so on.

Or as I like to call it, my vacation last year.

It is pretty awkward when you're traveling between relatively unfamiliar areas rather than living mostly in one place and knowing boundaries. Though it makes sense for the state not to keep it since most of the population is down in the desert where DST would just maximize the time in summer people are out during peak heat, enduring temperatures and consuming more A/C. And it makes sense for the Navajo to keep it since they're up on the plateau where it's not so bad. I don't know about the Hopi though.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Peanut President posted:

DST is great you monster. Or would you rather the sun come up at 3:45 in the morning in June?

Better than killing people

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc0807104

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/11/news/la-heb-daylight-saving-time-health-dangers-20130311

http://gizmodo.com/5891801/springing-forward-with-daylight-savings-could-kill-you

And why would I give a gently caress when the sun comes up or goes down? I live in a first world country with electricity.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
So what you're saying is that it doesn't matter to you when the sun is shining outdoors?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Peanut President posted:

If the sun is coming up too early, maybe your region should be in another time zone.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

reignonyourparade posted:

If the sun is coming up too early, maybe your region should be in another time zone.
That would be a latitude problem.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

computer parts posted:

That would be a latitude problem.

Either/or.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wow, I've never met anyone who felt strongly about daylight saving time. Did it make you miss a flight once, Shbobdb?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Wow, I've never met anyone who felt strongly about daylight saving time.

At least they made the trains run on DST time :godwin:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

:hist101: Readopt the Roman hora, exactly 12 hours between sunrise and sunset, whatever the time of year!

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

univbee posted:

Living in Northern Japan during the Summer was a weird experience, with the sun setting around 6 P.M. and rising at around 3:30 A.M., for a place on the same Longitude as Montreal.

Do you mean latitude?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Per posted:

Do you mean latitude?

...yes, I did. :negative:

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

univbee posted:

...yes, I did. :negative:

Lat is fat, remember.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
"Lat" is like the rungs of a ladder.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Phlegmish posted:

Wow, I've never met anyone who felt strongly about daylight saving time. Did it make you miss a flight once, Shbobdb?

I became a flier after I moved from Indiana. So it never made me miss a flight. But boy do I hate DST.

George Vernon Hudson is history's greatest monster.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Long goes along the world.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Latitude is the one with physical meaning, longitude is an incredibly useful but ultimately just made up number.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
PYF lat/lon mnemonics.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Latitude is the one with physical meaning, longitude is an incredibly useful but ultimately just made up number.

Both are just angular measurements from some arbitrary baseline.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

withak posted:

"Intersection of a sphere's surface with the plane perpendicular to the sphere's axis of rotation and midway between the poles" is hardly arbitrary, unlike a line going through a certain town in England.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

withak posted:

Nah, latitude is pretty damned meaningful, in that it's based on angle from a plane orthogonal to the spin axis of the planet. That meaning means that you can actually measure it using external indicators (other celestial bodies). So if you find yourself in the middle of the ocean with a sextant and some documentation about the earth and the heavens, you can figure out pretty easily what latitude you're at.

Longitude on the other hand is angle from some arbitrary meridian. Because the starting point is arbitrary, you can never really measure it directly. You need a reference that tells you what time it is at the arbitrary start line.

Fun bonus fact: Because the Earth isn't actually a sphere, but instead an oblate spheroid, we estimate it's shape with an ellipsoid rather than a sphere. Because of that, there are actually two different latitudes to worry about. Geocentric latitude, is the angle between a straight line from your position and the center of the ellipse, and the equatorial plane. This is probably the latitude you think about when you imagine it, but the latitude people actually use for stuff is in fact geodetic latitude! Geodetic latitude is the angle between a line defined by "downwards from wherever you are" (down is easy to measure!) and the equatorial plane. The difference between the two is pretty slight, but it is measurable.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 24, 2013

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

PittTheElder posted:

Longitude on the other hand is angle from some arbitrary meridian. Because the starting point is arbitrary, you can never really measure it directly. You need a reference that tells you what time it is at the arbitrary start line.
Finding that reference point was a pretty significant challenge though, and the story of clockmaker John Harrison is definitely worth a read.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The axis of rotation drifts around though.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Longitude is a phase and like most things with a phase assigning absolute phase involves setting an arbitrary starting point.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Dusseldorf posted:

Longitude is a phase
Eh, we'll grow out of it eventually.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

Finding that reference point was a pretty significant challenge though, and the story of clockmaker John Harrison is definitely worth a read.

Yep, our inability to build effective clocks is actually a really cool topic. And it's not a saga that stops with there either, it goes into a whole host of other issues. The biggest errors in a GPS position are usually clock related, satellite based clocks give us direct evidence of relativity (due to reduced gravity, not speed), variations in the Earths motion are detectable and are modeled out by adding leap seconds to UTC time to keep that in sync with the real day (now out by 16 seconds from GPS time, and 35 from TAI), plus the sheer cool science that goes into building a hyper accurate clock. But that's not map chat, so I'll say no more.

withak posted:

The axis of rotation drifts around though.

True, but only relative to the stars. It's the Earth itself moving, so latitude is actually always relative to the same plane and therefore doesn't change as the rotation does (the tropic lines do move though, since those are defined relative to the sun). And while the precession and nutation of the Earth's axis does add error into star fixes, it's on the order of about 20 arcseconds, which as I recall is less than the atmospheric error in star sighting, so it all washes out!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

We're used to thinking of Latin America as the US's backyard, and I like how this map shows just how far away South America is. Rio, Buenos Aires, and Santiago de Chile are about as far away from the US mainland as Moscow and Tokyo are.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Pakled posted:

We're used to thinking of Latin America as the US's backyard, and I like how this map shows just how far away South America is. Rio, Buenos Aires, and Santiago de Chile are about as far away from the US mainland as Moscow and Tokyo are.

Well, to be fair, that map doesn't give the best perspective to compare the distane between the USA to Buenos Aires and Moscow to Tokyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
More useful would be a projection based on travel time from the US to wherever in the late 19th/early 20th century.