Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

crowfeathers posted:

If their store is so big it includes multiple islands maybe he shouldn't be surprised when people make out sometimes.

But seriously, the leash thing? That's not really a "gay thing" that you see in stereotypes, so what the hell is it doing in there?

A lot of very sheltered people and basement dwellers think that homosexuality and bdsm go hand in hand. It probably has to do with how both have a history of being seen as taboo and kept secret.

wilderthanmild has a new favorite as of 03:25 on Aug 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Bonster posted:

Bullied Girl’s Friend: “Back off, you so-called popular idiots. Do you even know what texting is? In the base of it? Or even how it works? Do you know that it needs an ATSC? An ATSC is often referred to as a ‘digital input’, which negates the need for an external antenna to capture an analog signal. When the conversion happens, it will be essential that the cell you wish to continue using have the ability to receive and translate digital signals. Furthermore, should you decide to utilize a Video Cassette Recorder, you would most likely find it beneficial to connect a converter box to translate the digital signal to an analog recording outlet.”

Read this out loud. Seriously, stop what you're doing and read it out loud and try to make it sound like something a normal, functioning human being would say in the context of any conversation ever.

Now, in the unlikely event that you succeed, imagine a teenage girl yelling it during an argument.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Denzo posted:

Oh, those craaaaazy gays.

"I support gay rights wholeheartedly" is going to be the new "now I'm not racist, but" isn't it.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

It's several pages back, but that Dr. Who waiter story still has me really loving annoyed. Everything about it just sets my teeth on edge. If some loving idiot started talking to me in quotes from TV I'd be having a concerned word with his manager, and so would every other normal person.

I dunno why this one particular stdh bugs me so much more than the others. I don't even watch the Dr. Who.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

wilderthanmild posted:

A lot of very sheltered people and basement dwellers think that homosexuality and bdsm go hand in hand. It probably has to do with how both have a history of being seen as taboo and kept secret.

Yea basically, this happens a lot with the whole 'oh my god at Pride I saw one float with MEN WEARING THONGS so Pride as a whole is bad' stories. People are super sheltered and have never actually interacted with the gay community outside of stereotypes.

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

"I support gay rights wholeheartedly" is going to be the new "now I'm not racist, but" isn't it.

It already pretty much is. Just replace "my black friend" with "my gay cousin".

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I saw that 'confession bear' picture on Imgur and the comments were filled with a bunch of people saying they did things like that but had the decency to keep it indoors.

thanks imgur :thumbsup:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Shamelessly taken from the PYF Funny Pictures thread, but this is now how I view every "nerd owning a bully" story going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnPfgX82GmM

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

quote:

This troper has a Floor length black trenchcoat with skulls and studs on the front, with chains on the side. Teachers and police officers always seem scared when they see it. hell, the first day he wore it, teachers were muttering to eachother about Columbine. people move out of his way in the halls, which is AWESOME.

"I really wish that people thought I was scary and dangerous, because I'm a scrawny wuss who everybody picks on." :smith:

Bullying A Dragon is brilliant, by the way. Its entirely Tropers getting confused as to why bullies pick on them when they flip the gently caress out for minor insults, or Tropers pretending they are confused as to why bullies pick on them when they can kick them through walls and poo poo just like in my favourite animes guys please pay attention to me

quote:

This trooper while a freshmen who took martial arts once side kicked a bullying upper classmen in the chest sending him falling back through the glass of a nearby trophy case. Other kid's response was to increase taunting and ridicule for 'going nuts'. Yeah mock the kid who OHKO an effective grown adult...though makes more sense as the school was very clear on their 'don't do that again' policy.

"Oi, dork, you mind moving so I can get to my locker?"
"YOU HAVE ENRAGED THE DRAGON!"
"Don't go nuts or anything dude, just loving move."

quote:

Personally witnessed by this troper. One kid, who was being humiliated all his life from the same batch of bullies got hit with puberty early. He became a massive man who got into wrestling and studied boxing openly, even writing a report about it. Do these bullies back down? Of course not! Over the course of a week, one bully nearly got his neck broken in wrestling practice, and another bully actually got to EyeScream cry tears of blood as this kid started to rip his face open at the eyes and tried throwing the kid out of a three story building. Aesop: Sometimes the dragon bites back.

quote:

This troper took "dragon" to a whole new level when he made it clear that the kid with dried pepper in his lunch might know extra things to do with it. He also notes that bullies are like zombies in the sense that causing unimaginable eye pain to one will not deter the next two mooning the powdered-fire-wielding, annoyed kid. Nor will pouring pepper into the bully's pants do a single thing to the first one's morale.

Dried. Pepper

MinistryofLard has a new favorite as of 12:21 on Aug 24, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Denzo posted:

Oh, those craaaaazy gays.

I am totally not homophobic, but this couple that did a thing I don't like? I need to point out that they were gays!

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*

MinistryofLard posted:

"I really wish that people thought I was scary and dangerous, because I'm a scrawny wuss who everybody picks on." :smith:

Bullying A Dragon is brilliant, by the way. Its entirely Tropers getting confused as to why bullies pick on them when they flip the gently caress out for minor insults, or Tropers pretending they are confused as to why bullies pick on them when they can kick them through walls and poo poo just like in my favourite animes guys please pay attention to me

"Oi, dork, you mind moving so I can get to my locker?"
"YOU HAVE ENRAGED THE DRAGON!"
"Don't go nuts or anything dude, just loving move."

Dried. Pepper

There was a group of tropers at my high school. They were assholes about it to the point people knew they were tropers (we had a different word but for their clique, but they were always on the TV tropes site in class, if we ever got to use computers in a lab or something) and they kept using articles as sources.

They all tried to do poo poo like Troper Tales describe and they always saw themselves as the victim/badass even though they were wimpy assholes who were told to gently caress off politely for doing poo poo like glomping Asian girls in the halls and calling them kawaii.

They're all into Homestuck now.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

MinistryofLard posted:

A couple of them actually posted poo poo That DID Happen:

quote:

One of the reasons people would bully me in school is that I had a short fuse and would easily snap, run after them and try hitting them. Subverted in that I never actually got to beat them, and even when I got to throw in a punch or two, it was so weak they just laughed. So... I wanted to show them they should mess with me. It failed because I wasn't able to actually teach them a lesson.

Isn't "subverting" the bully a dragon trope basically just getting bullied successfully?

quote:

In one roleplay this troper is in, MadScientist one character DistressedDude kidnapped one of her characters. He warned the kidnapper that he had a close friend who would make his life a living hell, LastChanceToQuit and told him that he could just let him go and they wouldn't get TheFederation to come and arrest him. Did he listen? Nope. Now LadyOfWar Runa and a whole friggin' army are attackin the planet.

It totally counts as a badass bully beatdown if your PC's fictional armies threaten the made-up planet of another PC, I guess.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
It makes me laugh thinking that all these weedy kids turn into Conan the Barbarian and go nuts when they are pushed too far, when I've seen this happen, it usually has the person in question flailing around like a windmill, or going into crying hysterics, no epic beatdowns for sure.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Dances With Fat posted:

I was five miles into a nine mile training walk for my upcoming marathon when your car pulled up beside me, I didn’t think much of it until I heard you yell “HEY FAT BITCH!” I stopped and turned to look at you and you took that opportunity to throw 2 eggs and, somewhat inexplicably, an empty egg carton, at me. (Picture at the bottom of this blog)

To recap – two adult males threw the eggs and carton at me for daring to exist outside my house in a fat body. Of course they are utter cowards who sped away immediately, leaving me with so many questions:

First of all, how did you come to have 2 eggs and an egg carton in your car? Did you throw the first ten at other fatties, or are you now dealing with 10 eggs and no carton in your car?
Were these fatty-specific eggs that you had planned to throw, or are you guys eating cereal for breakfast until somebody can get to the store?
How do you miss a 300 pound woman who is three feet away from you? I mean, I’m happy that I didn’t have to walk 5 miles covered in egg, but let’s work on that follow through son, you never know when a softball game might break out.
Finally, what the hell kind of person throws eggs at strangers from their car?
It also set up a second interaction around mile seven wherein someone yelled “YO FAT BITCH!” and I yelled back “DO YOU HAVE EGGS?” The looks on their faces were priceless as they asked “What?” and I said “The last people who harassed me today threw eggs, if you don’t have eggs then you’re behind the fat bashing curve tonight.” The guy who had yelled in the first place ducked his head and said “Wow, that’s crazy. I’m sorry ma’am.”

The story about the initial egg throwing I give a 50/50 chance of actually being real but the bolded part? Really?
Here's the whole post

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
People regularly drive around and yell at people and everyone just happens to use the phrase fat bitch. Duh.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

I was five miles into a nine mile training walk for my upcoming marathon

I've never seen a marathon runner who could be remotely described as fat. I'm not sure how I feel that affects the story, but I figured I would throw that out there.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

DrHerpington posted:

There was a group of tropers at my high school. They were assholes about it to the point people knew they were tropers (we had a different word but for their clique, but they were always on the TV tropes site in class, if we ever got to use computers in a lab or something) and they kept using articles as sources.

They all tried to do poo poo like Troper Tales describe and they always saw themselves as the victim/badass even though they were wimpy assholes who were told to gently caress off politely for doing poo poo like glomping Asian girls in the halls and calling them kawaii.

I am truly sorry for your lots. Prom night must have been peak-troper. A whole clan of badass bookworms and genius bruisers patrolling for jocks to smackdown with badass creeds and crowning moments.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DrHerpington posted:

I want to hear more about this.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

I've never seen a marathon runner who could be remotely described as fat. I'm not sure how I feel that affects the story, but I figured I would throw that out there.

A lot of older/larger people walk marathons.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

big mean giraffe posted:

People regularly drive around and yell at people and everyone just happens to use the phrase fat bitch. Duh.

Stupid teenagers do. Someone screamed "whore" at me while I was pushing a stroller down a sidewalk. A logical deduction I guess.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FrozenVent posted:

It's described as a training walk, so she's probably going to walk the marathon. Plenty of people do that -- it still gives them a chance for some healthy exertion, even if less than running it would provide, and for someone who's elderly or really out of shape in some way, walking five miles without stopping can be an accomplishment in itself.

That part of the story I have no problem with. The rest, however...

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

kelvron posted:

Shamelessly taken from the PYF Funny Pictures thread, but this is now how I view every "nerd owning a bully" story going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnPfgX82GmM

This is amazing. That pre-insult pose should be a STDH hallmark.

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*

Lyz posted:

Stupid teenagers do. Someone screamed "whore" at me while I was pushing a stroller down a sidewalk. A logical deduction I guess.

Yeah, agreed. I've had cat calls/wolf whistles, as well as someone pulling up with a car of four people and yelling "DrHerpington's a SLUT!" while I walked my dog. To be fair, I was being a woman. So yeah, I can see yelling out of cars happening.

Dean of Swing posted:

I am truly sorry for your lots. Prom night must have been peak-troper. A whole clan of badass bookworms and genius bruisers patrolling for jocks to smackdown with badass creeds and crowning moments.

WickedHate posted:

I want to hear more about this.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444416&pagenumber=139&perpage=40#post410921629

Highlights included:

- the stalking story
- the girl who decided because I looked like Kristen Stewart and my boyf looked like Rob Pattinson, we were the real Bella and Edward, and that it meant she got to stalk us and take our pictures, and decided she was being "bullied" for reading when it was called being told she was a crazy bitch for being a crazy bitch (she only read middle school novels, and to this day, we're 20 and she only reads YA, according to FB, and wants to get her AU fanfics published)
- glompings
- memes in class
- tropes in class
- cosplay outside conventions, photoshoots, and privacy of one's own home
- general assholery that reminds me why yes, my idea for an H.P. Lovecraft Appreciation Club at my college would have indeed been awkward/ugly and all around a bad idea

I just don't get why people have to take their interests and shape an identity entirely around them, when their interests are mediocre and passive. I like League of Legends, doesn't mean I have to drop League references. It doesn't mean if I was a waitress, I'd say "Oh, TGI Friday's? No, this is TGI Dravens!", "Where would you like to sit? Oh, who am I kidding, ARAM, right?", "I definitely recommend the pineapple margaritas, it'll boost your mana tremendously".

No.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

So lIKE OMG Y OU GYUS MY DAD IS SO RELEVENT AND WITHT EH TIMEZ LOL CAN U BLEEVE IT??! XDDD WACKY!!1

I have to agree with the poster that said they get mad every time they see someone suddenly switch from lower case tO CAPS mid-word to emphasize how manic they are. I just want to choke someone out. And if someone was screaming that poo poo in the theater I'd be that jackass telling him to shut his cram hole.

Denzo
Feb 19, 2013
The biggest question is, what kind of idiot cosplays for a movie?

e: and a lovely movie, too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I have, in the sense that I wore a bathrobe to a Star Wars movie when I was like 13 or 14.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

kinmik posted:

So lIKE OMG Y OU GYUS MY DAD IS SO RELEVENT AND WITHT EH TIMEZ LOL CAN U BLEEVE IT??! XDDD WACKY!!1

I have to agree with the poster that said they get mad every time they see someone suddenly switch from lower case tO CAPS mid-word to emphasize how manic they are. I just want to choke someone out. And if someone was screaming that poo poo in the theater I'd be that jackass telling him to shut his cram hole.

The funniest thing about this is that there's a joke in the movie about how stupid talking like that is - the whole "Doth mother know thou wearest her drapes?" thing.

Like, the directors thought that the whole thing was ridiculous. The SO WACKY AND RANDOM MONKEY DISHWASHER people really don't get their own stuff.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

It reminds me a bit of nerds who don't get that the "operatic" section of "Bohemian Rhapsody" was some goofy tongue-in-cheek pastiche.

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them

DrHerpington posted:

Yeah, agreed. I've had cat calls/wolf whistles, as well as someone pulling up with a car of four people and yelling "DrHerpington's a SLUT!" while I walked my dog. To be fair, I was being a woman. So yeah, I can see yelling out of cars happening.

You haven't lived until you put on a nice outfit, feel reel good about yourself, go for a walk, get "put some pants on fatty" shouted at you from some passing car, then right after that some other guy tells you to SMILE, IT CAN'T BE THAT BAD because God forbid a woman ever be grumpy in public. When I walked down another block and passed the bus station, the guy who made a lewd comment about my tits got one hell of an earful. I was a skinny 19 year old that day and that poo poo is still in my memory like the day it happened, one of those things that reminds you of your "place" and how you will always be seen by a lot of people.

Yeah, getting "policed" by total strangers for everything from existing to the acceptable expressions on your face to whether or not someone likes your breasts is one of those experiences women get to have.

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*

AltoidsAddict posted:

You haven't lived until you put on a nice outfit, feel reel good about yourself, go for a walk, get "put some pants on fatty" shouted at you from some passing car, then right after that some other guy tells you to SMILE, IT CAN'T BE THAT BAD because God forbid a woman ever be grumpy in public. When I walked down another block and passed the bus station, the guy who made a lewd comment about my tits got one hell of an earful. I was a skinny 19 year old that day and that poo poo is still in my memory like the day it happened, one of those things that reminds you of your "place" and how you will always be seen by a lot of people.

Yeah, getting "policed" by total strangers for everything from existing to the acceptable expressions on your face to whether or not someone likes your breasts is one of those experiences women get to have.

It's happened, from men and from women, even back when I was a skinny teen.

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

This is the picture that went with it:

Yeah. That is such an impressive Iron Man suit that they broke the law to let this kid buy some paint. Sure.

Gorbush Threekwood
May 3, 2013

Denzo posted:

An old friend of mine always cosplay for the premiere (or first date available after that) of comic book movies. In fact, she's part of a really big group doing it, and there's always at least twenty of them, cosplaying, in character. Yup, it's stupid, and it's annoying as balls, but they still end up in the newspaper almost every time. :shrug:

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Christopher Robin posted:

Yeah. That is such an impressive Iron Man suit that they broke the law to let this kid buy some paint. Sure.

I don't have time to wait for my parents to buy me paint.

I do have time, however, to cycle into a different state to do it myself though.

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*
Would it be impossible for them to buy it online or something?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Denzo posted:

I think that a better one would be, what kind of idiot cosplays for a movie with a costume from a DIFFERENT movie? Thor wasn't even in Iron Man 3 at all.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

MinistryofLard posted:

I don't have time to wait for my parents to buy me paint.

I do have time, however, to cycle into a different state to do it myself though.

He also seems to have left his bike behind since he took a train home.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dr_Amazing posted:

He also seems to have left his bike behind since he took a train home.

You can take bikes on the train.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Christopher Robin posted:

I can sort of believe the story. I can believe he showed them his costume. I doubt they were impressed, but after he said "aw but look, i'm just using the paint for my iron man suit" then sperged at them about it until they realised he wasn't going to spray a cock on the side of a building, just do up his nerdy costume. At that point they probably just figured there was no harm (after all, presumably this law is just about vandalism)

Pineapple Salad
Apr 4, 2012

What a neverending story, Mark!

winegums posted:

I can sort of believe the story. I can believe he showed them his costume. I doubt they were impressed, but after he said "aw but look, i'm just using the paint for my iron man suit" then sperged at them about it until they realised he wasn't going to spray a cock on the side of a building, just do up his nerdy costume. At that point they probably just figured there was no harm (after all, presumably this law is just about vandalism)

Actually, I think it's because they don't want kids to huff paint, just like how cough medicine is illegal to sell to minors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
If it's fake, it's sad and pathetic. If it's real, a triumph of human will and determination. You decide which is more likely.

• Locked thread