Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

canyoneer posted:

Back to my original question: It's safe to say that the co-op play is better implemented and more likely to work in FOTS than Napoleon, right?

Well, maybe.

Thing is with Shogun 2 and Napoleon some graphic card and processors might have few issues with the engine. Most of that is now fixed, and Co-Op can be pretty buggy or smooth as hell depending on how you play it.

I'd say what the hell if you can afford it, It is as cheap as it is going to get and go for it. If it doesn't work you'll still get some pretty fun games really cheap and just risk it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Execpt that you will have to download at least twice that in patches if you install off the disk. Just stick the CD key in steam and install like a normal game.

Ragingsheep posted:

You're probably going to have to download a significant part of that on updates anyway.
Man. :(

Filthiest Alf
Jul 26, 2007

it would be spiteful to put jellyfish in a trifle
i can't speak for napolean but i've had maybe 2 desyncs out of thousands of turns of coop shogun 2. i do remember one of the desyncs the game never caught getting progressively worse over about 20 turns before we realized what had happened. that was kind of depressing to track all the way back to a good save.

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?
As a new player, is there any reason to get Shogun 2 instead of FOTS?

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

lechunnel posted:

Normal Shogun 2 is less gunpowder centric.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
I just started a play-through as the Chosokobe and fully researched the farming tech tree and now I'm raking in absolutely ludicrous amounts of money. Like, tens of thousands per turn.

lechunnel posted:

Vanilla S2 is more fun and is set during a much more interesting period of history.

Just get the Shogun 2 Gold Edition, that has everything in it, including all 3 campaigns and all the DLC factions. You can get it on Amazon for $25.

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 24, 2013

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

lechunnel posted:

It's basically a matter of flavor - do you prefer samurai charges or samurai charges getting mowed down by rifle fire?

That said, vanilla arguably is tighter-balanced, and FOTS has a better realm divide setup.

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009
So what's everyone favourite Medieval 2 mods? I've been playing it again whilst waiting for Rome 2 and forgot there's a fair few awesome mods for it, I think just for how much was changed I love third age, it's an incredible piece of work, shame I have to tinker with it to remove some of the more stupid crap in it like the garrison scripts. Anyone else been trying some mods out?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Which is the best playing Total war game at the moment? I know fun is subjective, but are there any clear standouts? And which has the best campaign AI, with or without mods?

I played some Empire and seem to recall having to download the game's size again in mods just to make the AI not terrible.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

LordPants posted:

Which is the best playing Total war game at the moment? I know fun is subjective, but are there any clear standouts? And which has the best campaign AI, with or without mods?

I played some Empire and seem to recall having to download the game's size again in mods just to make the AI not terrible.

Shogun 2, really. It's been a huge improvement gameplay wise, though people will grumble about samey factions, it plays a lot better than the previous entries.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I still prefer Rome but if the ai being better is really important then shogun 2 is the better choice.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I still prefer Rome but if the ai being better is really important then shogun 2 is the better choice.

Rome and Medieval 2 both suffer from rigidity within formations that makes selecting 'huge' unit size a terrible mistake and half of all battles become waiting for your incredibly cumbersome formations to shake out. You really end up missing the more free flowing soldiers withing formations that comes with the Empire onwards engines.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
New footage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjlL7TS9bP8

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
In my opinion Shogun 2 and Napoleon are the only options. Rome and Medieval 2 were fun but they are pretty dated at this point. The reinforcement system introduced by Napoleon is a god send for the series and both titles improved siege battles remarkably. Shogun 2 improved them to the point where they are sometimes, maybe enjoyable, and Napoleon took an even more effective approach by getting rid of them entirely.

Of course Rome 2 is only like two weeks out at this point so I'd recommend playing that unless you just gotta have some Total War action right now!

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
This pretty much looks like the best total war ever, and I'm 2,000 miles away from my computer that can actually play this until December. :shepicide: Guess I'll be watching a lot of youtube let's plays and openly weeping at internet cafes.

That said, I thought Empire looked great, so at least I'll have time to let the internet sober up and decide if it's good or not before I burn money on it.

And yeah, outside of waiting for Rome 2, Shogun 2 is the best introduction to the series at the moment.

a bad enough dude fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 24, 2013

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

That guy needs to cut his loving hair or at the very least attempt to maintain it so that it's just just a frizzle mane of ginger grossness.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

DaveCG posted:

So what's everyone favourite Medieval 2 mods? I've been playing it again whilst waiting for Rome 2 and forgot there's a fair few awesome mods for it, I think just for how much was changed I love third age, it's an incredible piece of work, shame I have to tinker with it to remove some of the more stupid crap in it like the garrison scripts. Anyone else been trying some mods out?

I'm actually really annoyed, because I discovered De Bello Mundi, which transplants Rome into Medieval 2. From what I've seen of it when I discovered it about a week ago, it's a bloody awesome mod, and it'll be utterly wasted on me since Rome 2 is due out next week.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
^^^ The campaign map for that is... huge :stare: they stuck the entirety of India, and also Iceland and a bit of Greenland in there.

I'm having a lot of fun playing this custom campaign mod. It's not much of a change from the regular game other than you can play as the Mongols, Timurids or Aztecs from the start of the game.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 25, 2013

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

nutranurse posted:

That guy needs to cut his loving hair or at the very least attempt to maintain it so that it's just just a frizzle mane of ginger grossness.

I almost feel bad about the amount of hate this guy receives on here. Don't ya'll realize he's a human being, with feelings?

(why would they make him a community coordinator why god why)

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

SHISHKABOB posted:

^^^ The campaign map for that is... huge :stare: they stuck the entirety of India, and also Iceland and a bit of Greenland in there.

:stare::respek::hist101:

Why can't CA do this in the normal game?

e: They went all the way to Bangladesh and west China. The Iceni have a lot of work to do :sigh:

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 25, 2013

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Wow it looks like they literally released it a month ago? Has it been in development for absolutely ages or something? I'd imagine it could be "Rome 2 for people with old computers" except that campaign map looks ridiculously demanding...

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The map itself looks pretty bad, very bland and boring terrain. If you could get over that then it might be cool, depending on how well they did everything else.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

SHISHKABOB posted:

The map itself looks pretty bad, very bland and boring terrain. If you could get over that then it might be cool, depending on how well they did everything else.

I could not disagree more. It's ridiculously beautiful.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
I just installed it, aside from the fog of war being super black, what I'm seeing so far is really pretty.

The music is killer too, reminds me of the Third Age mod for M2TW. You can even play as the Huns, and they spawn beyond even India. I'm starting a Bactrian campaign now just to see what it's like.

e: First impressions!

Holy crap the amount of buildings you can make is unreal. I'm not even sure where to start.

The AI turns take bloody ages. I have a decent computer, but you'll want to have a magazine or get up and do some chores between turns, it takes about 5 minutes for all the factions to finish doing their thing.

Lots of units, lots of lore fluff.

Mentioning music again, it's amazing.

e2: Unit AI during seiges is derpy at best. I outnumbered some rebels 4:1 and my troops just wouldn't go where I wanted them to. Granted it was a seige battle but still, I don't see why people have to ruin the perfectly good vanilla AI that actually sort of worked and replace it with something that's completely non functional at times.

"Charge the enemy!"

lol brb running back and forth for a bit

"Fire at will!"

Okay, we'll shoot once and then stand idle

"Regroup!"

Hey all, lets spin in circles!

This mod looks cool but I don't wanna have to autoresolve everytime I fight someone.

e3: Oh god either they had the same composer or they directly took music from the Third Age mod with his blessing, I just heard the Harad music and :allears: isn't even close to how awesome it fits.

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 26, 2013

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

THS posted:

I could not disagree more. It's ridiculously beautiful.

I guess I just glimpsed at the Indian pictures and they seemed like mostly green blurs.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

THS posted:

I almost feel bad about the amount of hate this guy receives on here. Don't ya'll realize he's a human being, with feelings?

(why would they make him a community coordinator why god why)

He's starting to grow on me, that's how hyped I'm becoming

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
Wow, so someone beat EB2 to the punch. I'll give it a shot since I won't have a computer capable of handling Rome 2 until December.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Minarchist posted:

I just installed it, aside from the fog of war being super black, what I'm seeing so far is really pretty.

The music is killer too, reminds me of the Third Age mod for M2TW. You can even play as the Huns, and they spawn beyond even India. I'm starting a Bactrian campaign now just to see what it's like.

e: First impressions!

Holy crap the amount of buildings you can make is unreal. I'm not even sure where to start.

The AI turns take bloody ages. I have a decent computer, but you'll want to have a magazine or get up and do some chores between turns, it takes about 5 minutes for all the factions to finish doing their thing.

Lots of units, lots of lore fluff.

Mentioning music again, it's amazing.

e2: Unit AI during seiges is derpy at best. I outnumbered some rebels 4:1 and my troops just wouldn't go where I wanted them to. Granted it was a seige battle but still, I don't see why people have to ruin the perfectly good vanilla AI that actually sort of worked and replace it with something that's completely non functional at times.

"Charge the enemy!"

lol brb running back and forth for a bit

"Fire at will!"

Okay, we'll shoot once and then stand idle

"Regroup!"

Hey all, lets spin in circles!

This mod looks cool but I don't wanna have to autoresolve everytime I fight someone.

e3: Oh god either they had the same composer or they directly took music from the Third Age mod with his blessing, I just heard the Harad music and :allears: isn't even close to how awesome it fits.

So it's literally EB when it came out up until the 1.2 patch? Does the base Gaulish Spearmen have a 4 paragraph description?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Mans posted:

So it's literally EB when it came out up until the 1.2 patch? Does the base Gaulish Spearmen have a 4 paragraph description?

Everything has a 4 paragraph description.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

My favorite EB description is the one for the western barbarian health building that basically went "The Gauls and Britons had soap while the Romans were stinking up the place :smug:"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I reinstalled Napoleon and S2 after Steam cards dropped and have been making some decent progress (I think) in a Satsuma campaign with 6 provinces after about 3-4 years. Until just now when my army of 12 Line Infantry and 3 Parrot Guns just had its rear end handed to it by a force half its size composed of something called Shogitai. What the hell just happened?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Shogitai are swordsmen that have ridiculous melee stats for a FotS unit plus the Banzai ability. If they survive long enough to banzai charge into your line infantry you will get shredded. I have no idea how that would happen with your force composition, though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gimnbo posted:

Shogitai are swordsmen that have ridiculous melee stats for a FotS unit plus the Banzai ability. If they survive long enough to banzai charge into your line infantry you will get shredded. I have no idea how that would happen with your force composition, though.

Thanks. If my post hadn't made it obvious I'm still very new at this game, and my battle tactics don't stretch much further than forming lines of riflemen and maneuvering them to outflank the enemy when I get the chance. Is there a guide to tactics and/or army composition (for FOTS) that I can brush up on?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Once you get Rank Fire, set your guys up, turn it on (they can't move with Rank Fire on), put artillery behind them, and force the enemy to come to you. This'll eat any Samurai army and usually do pretty good against a modern force, too. Naval bombardment is your friend, too.

Is FotS even more broken once you have Armstrong Guns? Because my Parrotts made mincemeat out of everything anyway.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Is FotS even more broken once you have Armstrong Guns? Because my Parrotts made mincemeat out of everything anyway.

Technically yes, but it won't change your tactics any. You'll just kill dudes faster.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Armstrong Guns are better in every way, so upgrade if you would like more artillery in your armies. Your main problem is probably that you have no melee troops to fight traditional infantry. Line infantry have garbage melee stats while Shogitai are the strongest infantry in the game.

I pretty much bring up cavalry everytime I talk about tactics, but they're the hard counter to sword units and have a ton of uses on the battlefield, even in the shooty-rooty times of the 19th century. Your basic sabre cavalry unit will really gently caress up shogitai in a charge, as long as you pull them back to regroup shortly after impact. You can cycle cavalry charges and line infantry volleys to really devastate them. Later in the game you infantry become more competent in melee and shoot faster as well.

You can also try recruiting katana kachi from traditional recruitment buildings, but those are a waste of a building slot imo. Revolver cavalry are hilarious, but they take a lot of micromanaging to work well. If you park them beside an enemy general they will totally decimate them.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

^^
edit: do i have to micro cycling cavalry charges to use them successfully?

Can someone give me advice on how to use cavalry in vanilla shogun 2? I never really used cavalry in shogun 2 and when i did it was to just harass archers or kill routing enemies. Such cases would usually end up with my light cavalry routing or sustaining really heavy casualties.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

ughhhh posted:

^^

Yeah. Cavalry power and usefulness is directly tied to micro. That being said, the bare minimum is taking your (melee) cav to the side or behind an engaged enemy unit. Making sure you have a bit of wind up room, double click dash into the side or rear, and when roughly half the unit is engaged, double tap back to where you started, and repeat. This works even better with wedge formation if your general has it. Against low Morale units 1/2 smashes will rout an unit allowing you to fold your line over and start a chain rout.

Now, its also important to note that light cav is garbage stat-wise, but Katana and naginata cav can hold their own in melee combat requiring less micro, and are much better (and most importantly more numerous) units.

stanislaus
Aug 5, 2008

ughhhh posted:

^^

Can someone give me advice on how to use cavalry in vanilla shogun 2? I never really used cavalry in shogun 2 and when i did it was to just harass archers or kill routing enemies. Such cases would usually end up with my light cavalry routing or sustaining really heavy casualties.

On light cavalry:

Light cavalry are definitely the way to go early on, they're pretty cheap, easy to make, and have a low upkeep (100?). Keep them around the flanks of your army and use them as anti-cavalry units at the beginning, they're incredibly good at sniping generals. They're also good for charging archers that wander too far, or charging into the back of their infantry line if you can get around the flanks and have taken care of their cavalry. Just make sure you never leave them in melee except against some other cavalry units, generals, or routing ashigaru, they'll die very quickly after the initial charge and do no damage.

Later on katana cavalry are great, they're good on charges against bows/katanas and can actually win prolonged melees against non-spear infantry (they have much higher base stats than katana samurai for some reason, but still lose to yari/light cav). Keep your cav outside the walls during a siege defense, you'll almost always be able to get some easy archer charges. You can also just run your cav in circles and have the AI follow you while your archers kill them, but that's kind of exploitative IMO. Naginata monk cavalry is also really good, I'd generally stay away from ranged cavalry though besides the unique gunpowder ones.

Also don't make the mistake of prioritizing charge upgrades on your cav, it's actually by far the worst upgrade for them. Your attack:enemy defense ratio is gonna be so ridiculous on charge anyway that an extra 4-8 won't do anything meaningful, whereas 5 armor helps a ton versus missile units and massively increases their melee staying power. Always upgrade armor (unless maybe youre making a ton of naginatas, but that seems like a horrible idea anyway).

e: I would also say don't overinvest in cav though, expensive infantry is almost always gonna help you more than expensive cav will. The AI is pretty drat good at army composition in shogun 2 now, and a stack with 6-8 expensive cav will be trivialized by enough yari ashigarus.

stanislaus fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
You don't need to do a lot of cavalry charge cycling, but it's generally good practice. Cavalry's strongest in the charge, and less so during prolonged melee. Because they're mobile, regrouping cav units after they finish charging is a good way to conserve your horses. If you charge into a unit and it doesn't start breaking, you probably want to reform and try again.

In vanilla Shogun 2 you basically have two groups of cavalry.

Katana cavalry are dedicated anti-infantry. They've got very high stats and are mostly limited by their small unit size. Their charge is very strong, and will wreck any unit that doesn't have some sort of polearm. They cut through katana foot very easily, and that is their main role.

Yari and light cavalry have spears that give them a very high bonus to attack in a charge, but lesser overall stats than sword cavalry. It's most important to cycle with these guys, because they are moderately weak in melee, unlike katana cavalry who have some staying power. Spear-armed cavalry also get a bonus against other cavalry units, which is important if you want to gank a general or want to protect your archers or something. They're also faster than sword cavalry.

(Light cavalry is a unit that is identical to Yari cavalry in everything besides their stats, which are uniformly worse. Of course, they're cheaper, but they're not really suitable for front-line work. Charging into pre-occupied ashigaru is always safe though.)

The problem most people have with cavalry is that their counter is Yari anything. And the most common unit in the game is yari ashigaru. When you fight anything armed with spears in cavalry, you need to make sure you are routing them as soon as they horses hit men. Otherwise you will take appalling casualties.

When you charge something, you want your cavalry line to be as broad as the body of men you want them to wreck. You generally want to charge from behind or the flank. Some units are very weak to cavalry and you can charge them from the front, but hitting a unit that's already engaged tends to cause a rout, and that's the best outcome for any fight.

More poo poo:
-Don't leave your cavalry lying around in plain view of archers because they will usually get wrecked.
-Don't even try to engage yari samurai with anything that was hooves.
-Leaving a unit of spear cavalry hiding in a forest is a good way to murder generals.
-There is a distance that all units need to build up speed before they start charging.
-You need horses, a stable, and a corresponding weapon dojo before you can build horse units besides light cavalry.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 26, 2013