Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Oh, I've never said being focused is bad. I mean there's a reason I've been hatin' against over- specialized characters.

Every character wants to be really good at something (for Mr Lucky it more like good at 2-ish things, but in a somewhat limited way). My problem has always been characters who only have that something. The brick wall with a gun example - a character who could be replaced by a walking wall with a gun sticking out of it, and doesn't have the skills or attributes to actually do anything for themselves.

And quite frankly I do plan on increasing some of those 1's as I gain karma. Probably not past 4, I readily admit - but the 1 is only for coming out of chargen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'd say she's close, but not yet actually, over-specializing. I mean, in terms of having well-rounded abilities, this is what I was putting together for that latest recruit before I got distracted thinking about Adepts (I'll spare you the equipment list):

pre:
Metatype:		C
Magic:			E
Skills:			B
Attributes:		A
Resources:		D

Attributes (24; Priority A/Metatype: Priority C)
	Metatype:		Ork
	Body:			6 [2]
	Agility:		5 [4]
	Reaction:		6 [5]
	Strength:		4 [1]
	Willpower:		3 [2]
	Logic:			4 [3]
	Intuition:		5 [4]
	Charisma:		2 [1]

Edge:			2 [0]-- -10 Karma

Qualities
	Quick Healer		[-03 Karma]
	Toughness		[-09 Karma]

Allergy			[+05 Karma]
		Uncommon (Pollen), Minor
	Insomnia		[+10 Karma]

Skills (36/5; Priority B; -8 Karma)
	Active Skills-
	Armorer 4, Computers 2, Demolitions 5, Firearms Skill Group 5, First Aid 4, Heavy Weapons 5,
	Palming 4, Perception 4, Running 4, Throwing 4, Unarmed Combat 2

Languages-
	English N, Japanese (Cityspeak) 2

Knowledge Skills-
	Literature 3 (Specialty: Romance), Architecture 4, UCAS Politics 3 (Specialty: Metahuman
	Politics) 3, Seattle Sprawl 3
I mean, that looks well-rounded to me.

Edit: And he's got a grenade launcher anyway, so anyone who takes issue with him quickly becomes a non-issue :getin:

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 24, 2013

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Agreed that yours is definitely better there. As I play with the system and with chargen I get a bit better at it but I'm still working at it. It's one of the reasons I'd actually like to really try a Mr Lucky - with Adepts and Sammies (sorry, I have no interest in mages or really technomancers) I always feel pushed to put Resources or Magic at B. A Mr Lucky can go Human C to his max Edge and really flex out the skills to pour his Edge into.

Hot Yellow KoolAid
Aug 17, 2012
I've come up with a technomancer build that does 12 guaranteed matrix damage (10[Attack] + 2DV[Hammer]) plus 1 DV for every net hit on my Cybercombat test of 16(6+6+2[Hotsim] + 2[Codeslinger]). Aside from bricking an opposing decker's hardware and dumpshocking him, what else can I do with that much guaranteed damage and an [Attack] stat of 10? Bricking an enemy team's guns?

I could also get biofeedback damage for this build. Would doing 10 guaranteed damage + net hits on an 18 dice Codespike be enough to toast a security spider before he could put up a fight?

I should note that this build is stupidly optimized and has only 3 Resonance while I wait to buy some Bioware.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The whole point of this dumpstat conversation is that an attribute of 1 does not make you a blitering retard - that is what an attribute of 0 does. The only way I am aware of earning a zero in a stat is by having it reduced by a Decrease Attribute spell, and in that case your character will either stand there blankly or fall into a heap. You can also burn Edge to get a zero score but that's not related exactly.

If the developers intended to have a stat of 1 make your character socially toxic, unable to read, can't tie their own shoes, then they would have spelled it out in the rules. As it stands, a 1 just means you are untrained in that area. At least in SR4, the human average was straight 2s - not exactly Einstein compared to the guy with 1s and still as likely to fail die rolls since each die only has a 1/3 chance of hitting. The solution would have been to have all stats start at 2 and raise from there, but that's not how Shadowrun works.

ProfessorCirno, I'm addressing you directly - please stop with the personal attacks and when someone gives you an answer accept it. I woke up to 100 new posts in this thread overnight and many of them were of you willingly ignoring what everyone else is saying until you got the answer you wanted. Maybe you should take a break.

By the way, I do have one character - check Martello's Rotten Apple thread. I don't play in any SR5 games at the moment, but will be sure to avoid joining any groups you are a part of because I really don't need to get an instruction on The Right Way to play the game from someone who can't seem to figure out what point they're trying to make. It's just a fantasy game on the internet, man.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Okay, so I'm back and working on my character sheet again.

How good are the 'elemental protection'-style armor mods? (Fire Resistance, Insulation, Nonconductivity, and Chemical Protection)

Edit: Also, quick question, dirtycajun, what are the fake licenses for, exactly? You've got 6 there, but if the GM asks me what they're for... I have no idea other than a restricted weapon, augmentation, or drone permit.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 24, 2013

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES

BenRGamer posted:

How good are the 'elemental protection'-style armor mods? (Fire Resistance, Insulation, Nonconductivity, and Chemical Protection)

Edit: Also, quick question, dirtycajun, what are the fake licenses for, exactly? You've got 6 there, but if the GM asks me what they're for... I have no idea other than a restricted weapon, augmentation, or drone permit.

I got to the point where I was throwing them on because you have a bunch of restricted gear. I recommend you go through each piece of gear and see what you can free up, your drone is flat out going to be forbidden from the dual ares alphas strapped to it, so I recommend getting a rigged white van or access to one as soon as possible to keep the bastard in.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Bigass Moth posted:

The whole point of this dumpstat conversation is that an attribute of 1 does not make you a blitering retard - that is what an attribute of 0 does. The only way I am aware of earning a zero in a stat is by having it reduced by a Decrease Attribute spell, and in that case your character will either stand there blankly or fall into a heap. You can also burn Edge to get a zero score but that's not related exactly.

If the developers intended to have a stat of 1 make your character socially toxic, unable to read, can't tie their own shoes, then they would have spelled it out in the rules. As it stands, a 1 just means you are untrained in that area. At least in SR4, the human average was straight 2s - not exactly Einstein compared to the guy with 1s and still as likely to fail die rolls since each die only has a 1/3 chance of hitting. The solution would have been to have all stats start at 2 and raise from there, but that's not how Shadowrun works.

Ignoring your random insults at me (though it's funny you say I've been ignoring everything), hasn't half of this been answered or commented on already? I already pasted directly from SR4A what each stat line means (hint: 3 is "typical," not 2), we already covered that literally not one NPC had a 1 in any of their stats, we already pointed out that Logic 1 is the D&D equivalent of Intelligence 3, etc, etc.

Like, I'm pretty sure I could respond to this using only quotes from this very thread. Who's ignoring what, again?

Incidentally if you want to lower the number of attribute points you start off with but start every stat at 2, that's fine! D&D 4e did similar - it removed the grossly negative attributes from it's typical point buy chargen (though there were alternative chargens that had them) and made it so you could only start with a low score of 8 - which would match up more or less to a low score of 2 in SR5.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

BenRGamer posted:

I tend to roll with chemical and nonconductivity. Nonconductivity helps against electric damage which can mess you up rather hard, and chemical protection...is, to be honest, a habit from older editions, where the fluff was that rain was so acidic that NOT having chemical protection would make your clothing slowly dye, smell, and rot from it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dunno, the only ones that seem important is fire since if you catch fire you can end up burning for a few turns and electricity. Even though the latter has been heavily nerfed so its not as critical but it's probably the most common elemental damage you'll take.

I found the solution for my suicide problem, Cortex Bombs doesn't cost any essence so I can put one in an adept with no issue (apart from the 25k pricetag and 16F availability, drat). Kind of a let down that they don't have a wireless bonus like everything else though. :downs:

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 24, 2013

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Poil posted:

Dunno, the only ones that seem important is fire since if you catch fire you can end up burning for a few turns and electricity. Even though the latter has been heavily nerfed so its not as critical but it's probably the most common elemental damage you'll take.

I found the solution for my suicide problem, Cortex Bombs doesn't cost any essence so I can put one in an adept with no issue (apart from the 25k pricetag and 16F availability, drat). Kind of a let down that they don't have a wireless bonus like everything else though. :downs:

Yes, because you want the bomb in your head to be available online :v:

In any case, I think I finished a rough draft of all the gear I'm gonna be taking on this guy.

Now I just have to work out how to make cyberware and lifestyle work on a 270,000 budget. I may have to take out the extra drones I got, but look at all the savings on free weapon mounts!

code:
Gear:

Weapons & Accessories:

Ruger Super Warhawk                  $    400
  Mod: Smartgun, Internal            $    400

Ammo: Regular (10 Pack) x10          $    200
Ammo: Gel (10 Pack) x5               $    125
Ammo: Explosive(10 Pack) x5          $    400

Warhawk Speed Loader x4              $    100

Armor:

Armor Vest                           $    500
  Mod: Fire Resistance 2             $    500
  Mod: Nonconductivity 2             $    500
  Mod: Insulation 2                  $    500
  Mod: Chem Protection 3             $    750

Credentials:

Fake SIN 4 (Cid Grissom)             $ 10,000
Fake License 4 (R Weapons)           $    800
Fake License 4 (R 'ware)             $    800
Fake License 4 (R Drones)            $    800
Fake License 4                       $    800
Credstick, Platinum                  $    500

Tools:

Toolshop (Air Mechanic)              $  5,000
Toolshop (Ground Mechanic)           $  5,000
Toolshop (Cybertechnology)           $  5,000
Toolkit  (Air Mechanic)              $    500
Toolkit  (Ground Mechanic)           $    500

Electronics and Programs:

Vulcan Liegelord RCC                 $ 66,000

Autosoft: MCT Fly Spy Maneuvering 6  $  3,000
Autosoft: MCT Fly Spy Stealth 6      $  3,000
Autosoft: Targetting (Ares Alpha) 6  $  3,000
Autosoft: Roto-Drone Maneuvering 6   $  3,000
Autosoft: Doberman Maneuvering 6     $  3,000
Autosoft: GMC Bulldog Maneuvering 6  $  3,000
Common: Encryption                   $     80
Common: Signal Scrubber              $     80
Hacking: Wrapper                     $    250

Survival:

Respirator 6                         $    300

Vehicles and Drones:

GMC Bulldog                          $ 35,000
  Mod: Rigger Interface              $  1,000
  Mod: Standard Weapon Mount         $  2,500
  Weapon: Ares Alpha Predator        $  2,650
  Ammo: Regular Ammo (10 Pack) x05   $    100
  Grenades: Frag Grenade x2          $    200

MCT Fly-Spy Drone x2                 $  4,000

MCT-Nissan Roto-Drone                $  5,000

GM-Nissan Doberman                   $  5,000
  Mod: Standard Weapon Mount         Free

GM-Nissan Doberman                   $  5,000
  Mod: Standard Weapon Mount         Free

Total:                               $199,435
Edit: Welp, I tried fiddling with the cyberware to lower the costs and the minimum is so expensive :suicide:

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 24, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

BenRGamer posted:

Yes, because you want the bomb in your head to be available online :v:

How else are you going to keep the software up to date? You don't want the bomb to malfunction because of a bug, do you? Not to mention the whole thing where you need to connect to the manufacturer's server on a daily basis or it'll stop working. Or possibly start working. Purely as an anti piracy feature of course.

Also it allows deckers to have more fun.

I already have the bonus part worked out, you get to detonate it as a free action instead of a simple action. Kinda like smuggling compartments (which you also want to have broadcasting wi-fi signals). Does the smuggling ware come with an eject function or something?

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 24, 2013

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Oh hey, I think I found the chestnut that probably kicked off that whole malarkey some pages back. Page 3 of the Quick Start Rules:

pre:
The standard range of natural human attributes
is on a scale of 1 to 6, with 3 being
average. Physical and Mental attributes have
a maximum natural rating of 6 plus or minus
metatype modifiers—some metatypes can
have ratings higher than 6 in some attributes.
Augmented ratings (cyberware and magic)
are listed in parentheses after the natural rating,
such as: 4 (6).

They probably should have put that literally anywhere in the core book.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Poil posted:

How else are you going to keep the software up to date? You don't want the bomb to malfunction because of a bug, do you? Not to mention the whole thing where you need to connect to the manufacturer's server on a daily basis or it'll stop working. Or possibly start working. Purely as an anti piracy feature of course.

Also it allows deckers to have more fun.

I already have the bonus part worked out, you get to detonate it as a free action instead of a simple action. Kinda like smuggling compartments (which you also want to have broadcasting wi-fi signals). Does the smuggling ware come with an eject function or something?

The entire reason you PUT a bomb in someone's head is so you can kill them wirelessly.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If I want to fight non-lethally would this be a good selection of weapons?
-Defiance EX Shocker: main weapon
-Ares Predator V w Stick-n-shock: when I need the range
-Stun Baton: melee, probably not used very often.

Mystic Mongol posted:

The entire reason you PUT a bomb in someone's head is so you can kill them wirelessly.

I want to put a bomb in my own head as a last resort to avoid capture. Rp reasons.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Alright, but don't you want that bomb to have web 2.0 functionality? User generated content, plus a buy it now option where people can shorten the timer by a minute for fifty nuyen?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Poil posted:

If I want to fight non-lethally would this be a good selection of weapons?
-Defiance EX Shocker: main weapon
-Ares Predator V w Stick-n-shock: when I need the range
-Stun Baton: melee, probably not used very often.

I want to put a bomb in my own head as a last resort to avoid capture. Rp reasons.

Personally, I like the Shock Hand/Glove. It'll give you a shocking right hook. :v:

Edit: Good lord, balancing a fake checkbook is insane. It's really, really hard to make it work with the concept that I wanted. Wired Reflexes and Control Rigs and RCCs are all so ridiculously expensive.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 24, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, but it's 1 less damage and reach. Gotta at least attempt some competence.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Alright, but don't you want that bomb to have web 2.0 functionality? User generated content, plus a buy it now option where people can shorten the timer by a minute for fifty nuyen?
I want the platinum version with chrome polish.

I also want them to release splatbooks so I can create my homo sapiens nobilis vrykolakas character. :argh:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Poil posted:

Yeah, but it's 1 less damage and reach. Gotta at least attempt some competence.

Pfft. Who needs reach when you can knock someone out with a handshake? What's a better way to subdue a target than with a souped up joy buzzer?

Edit: Okay, I give up. I had to completely and utterly gut the character concept I had in mind for the backstory behind the guy for more resources--and I still cannot afford the character because of the cost of Wired Reflexes/Reaction Enhancer and the Control Rig/RCC. So, I give up.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 24, 2013

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I think the real stupidity with the "logic 1 character" is that the character generation system encourages such a character by making it optimal. Points-wise, the best thing to do is min-max stats and skills at character generation, eat whatever poo poo the GM (that bastard) throws at you for having low stats, "realise the error of your ways" after the first run and reduce your weaknesses with any karma you get given.

Hate the game, not the player. Perhaps the best thing to do is to re-release the karma character creation system (BeCKS, I think it was called) they had for 4e. Anyone done that yet? It actually encouraged people to make broad characters.

My personal feelings are that life is too short to poo poo on your players for min-maxing. The thought of actually scanning my players characters for weaknesses to exploit in the next run really wearies me. However, the system is at fault for encouraging it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Gort posted:

I think the real stupidity with the "logic 1 character" is that the character generation system encourages such a character by making it optimal. Points-wise, the best thing to do is min-max stats and skills at character generation, eat whatever poo poo the GM (that bastard) throws at you for having low stats, "realise the error of your ways" after the first run and reduce your weaknesses with any karma you get given.

Hate the game, not the player. Perhaps the best thing to do is to re-release the karma character creation system (BeCKS, I think it was called) they had for 4e. Anyone done that yet? It actually encouraged people to make broad characters.

My personal feelings are that life is too short to poo poo on your players for min-maxing. The thought of actually scanning my players characters for weaknesses to exploit in the next run really wearies me. However, the system is at fault for encouraging it.

There are a couple karma-gen systems that are fan made and seem fine, but I'll wait for the Companion for the official version.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Poil, when the new splatbooks come out, hopefully K10 will still be around. Or even K11. A couple fake teeth and you won't just be killing yourself, but everyone else in the general vicinity, too.

SR4 Arsenal 75 posted:

K-10 (Blood of Kali)
Duration: 5 x 1D6 minutes
Effect: +3 Body, +3 Agility, +6 Strength, +1 Willpower, +3 Initiative Pass, High Pain Tolerance 3, Berserk
Users of this experimental combat drug automatically go berserk when wounded, in a manner similar to Bear magicians (see Bear, p. 200, SR4A). At the end of the duration, the user suffers 18S damage (unresisted). Berserk character must also make an Edge (1) Test; if they fail, they stay berserk permanently.
All of the initial research subjects of kamikaze grade ten, aka K-10, died from the drug’s side effects or wounds sustained while under the influence. The formula for K-10 was hacked from the lab’s medical database, and the drug itself only hit the streets as a combat drug in the beginning months of 2071. Buzz regarding K-10-fueled suicide assaults is already on the rise.

Basically you go from 'decker' to 'troll'.
18S damage unresisted probably wouldn't kill you, which is why you eat another when you start to come down.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fun, especially on a melee based troll. But slightly too murderous for the idea I have.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It's really silly to compare a 1 in Shadowrun to a 3 in D&D because both are made up abstractions to serve game purposes and on top of that, the games describe them differently. Int 3 in D&D is just above animal intelligence- difficulty speaking and guaranteed illiteracy. Int 1 in Shadowrun is explicitly not stupid, just poor critical thinking skills. Int 1 can use the internet just fine, but will probably find itself frequenting Freep and the Blaze.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It's a bit like how a character with zero Perception skill isn't blind, and doesn't deserve to have invisible ninjas shooting them all the time just because the GM hates the fact that the character has "such a huge weakness".

Explorator_Vimes
Nov 21, 2012
So after reading through the book and making a few characters, I had a question I wanted to toss out here. Is there a decent amount to reduce costs of the Cyberdecks by to make the more available? Even with giving yourself Resources A you've got a crap deck and it's easier to buy it and a RCC and just slave it to the RCC to get wonderful Firewall and Data for 144k and then leave the cyberdeck running the best you've got on Offense and Sleaze. It's just that looking at the top line deck I'd rather wait another run or two and just pay for a permanent High Lifestyle and retire from running. I know you need to make your own reason to run, but both the payout system being rather shoestring and massive increase in a many of the item costs, I'm curious how/if other people are looking to address any of that. I know I could just arbitrarily start slashing prices, but I was wondering if someone else had given more thought to a better cost structure for them or if it's better to boost starting cash and money from finishing runs.

As for the stat discussion, I think if you're going to play with a 1 in a stat you should expect certain RP restrictions to come down on you. Not even bringing in the mean Ol'DM seeing a consistent weak link in the party and maybe exploiting it because, ya know, that thing happens when you get more known and people start to become aware of you in the business. I'm not necessarily saying you flat out cannot do things, but you're not going to be spouting off ideas for flanking around or doing anything particularly tactical if you're not having any mental stats because of a die pool argument, nor are you going to care much for or be aware of basic social norms when you've gotta deal with a Johnson or even just a regular shake down. The numbers still mean something outside of the dice pool and if you and your DM wants to ignore that fact then kudos on getting the free points, but I know all my gaming over the years and systems says if you wanna have a big obvious dump stat like that then be prepared to RP it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Gort posted:

It's a bit like how a character with zero Perception skill isn't blind, and doesn't deserve to have invisible ninjas shooting them all the time just because the GM hates the fact that the character has "such a huge weakness".

Like I said, just because somebody had the gall to take a shellfish allergy doesn't mean you should forcibly cram shrimp down their throat every mission.

Explorator_Vimes posted:

So after reading through the book and making a few characters, I had a question I wanted to toss out here. Is there a decent amount to reduce costs of the Cyberdecks by to make the more available? Even with giving yourself Resources A you've got a crap deck and it's easier to buy it and a RCC and just slave it to the RCC to get wonderful Firewall and Data for 144k and then leave the cyberdeck running the best you've got on Offense and Sleaze. It's just that looking at the top line deck I'd rather wait another run or two and just pay for a permanent High Lifestyle and retire from running. I know you need to make your own reason to run, but both the payout system being rather shoestring and massive increase in a many of the item costs, I'm curious how/if other people are looking to address any of that. I know I could just arbitrarily start slashing prices, but I was wondering if someone else had given more thought to a better cost structure for them or if it's better to boost starting cash and money from finishing runs.

Or you could buy a Hermes Ikon and slave it to that; commlinks have a firewall and data processing rating equal to their device rating.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 24, 2013

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Cabbit posted:

Like I said, just because somebody had the gall to take a shellfish allergy doesn't mean you should forcibly cram shrimp down their throat every mission.

I'm not really a big fan of strengths and weaknesses like this, on the other hand. They just seem like a quest to find the least damaging weaknesses possible that people are forced into because otherwise they're giving up the free points.

The solution certainly isn't for the GM to stomp on the weakness all the time, though. Just give a few extra karma to everyone instead.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
Have weaknesses give karma whenever they come up in play, like NWoD merits

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

homerlaw posted:

Have weaknesses give karma whenever they come up in play, like NWoD merits

I think that could be fun for negative qualities, but not for low stats.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Okay, after taking a couple of hours off, I went to work back on it--and I managed to make the resources fit. But I can't even afford a car. That's... kind of incredibly annoying. But I dunno what to drop, all the big stuff is stuff that's important to my characters statistics or background (The Control Rig, the RCC, the Wired Reflex/Reaction Enhancers, and the Cyberlimbs)

Can someone help me figure out what I should drop to get a van? Here's the whole sheet so far.

code:
Cyberware

Head:

Alpha Cyber Eyes 2          $  7,200  E: 0.24  C:   8
  Smartlink                 $  4,000  -------  C: [ 3]
  Low-Light vision          $  1,500  -------  C: [ 2]
  Vision Enhancement 2      $  8,000  -------  C: [ 2]
  Flare Compensation        $  1,000  -------  C: [ 1]
  Imagelink                   Free with Cyber Eyes

Alpha Control Rig 1         $ 51,600  E: 0.8

Body

Wired Reflexes 2            $149,000  E: 3

Alpha Reaction Enhancer 2   $ 31,600  E: 0.48

Cyberlimbs:

Alpha Cyberlimb Lower Arm R $ 12,000  E: 0.36  C:  10
  Enhanced: Armor 2         $  6,000  -------  C: [ 2]
  Accessory: Grapple Gun    $  5,000  -------  C: [ 4]
  Weapon: Shock Hand        $  5,000  -------  C: [ 4]

Alpha Cyberlimb Full Arm L  $ 18,000  E: 0.8   C:  15
  Custom: Agi 3             $ 15,000  -------  -------
  Enhanced: Agi 3           $ 19,500  -------  C: [ 3]
  Enhanced: Armor 2         $  6,000  -------  C: [ 2]

Cyberware Subtotal          $340,400  E: 5.68

Gear

Weapons:

Add-on: Smart Loader x4            $    100
  Ammo: Regular (10 Pk) x5           $    100
  Ammo: Gel (10 Pk) x5               $    125
  Ammo: Explosive (10 Pk) x5         $    400

Weapon Subtotal                      $  1,525

Armor:

Armor Vest                           $    500
  Mod: Fire Resistance 2             $    500
  Mod: Nonconductivity 2             $    500
  Mod: Insulation 2                  $    500
  Mod: Chem Protection 3             $    750

Armor Subtotal                       $  2,750

Credentials:

Fake SIN 4 (Cid Grissom)             $ 10,000
Fake License 4 (Restricted Weapons)  $    800
Fake License 4 (Restricted 'ware)    $    800
Fake License 4 (Restricted Drones)   $    800
Credstick, Platinum                  $    500

Credentials Subtotal                 $ 12,900

Tools:

Toolshop (Air Mechanic)              $  5,000
Toolkit  (Air Mechanic)              $    500

Tools Subtotal                       $  5,500

Electronics and Programs:

Vulcan Liegelord RCC                 $ 66,000

Autosoft: MCT Fly Spy Maneuvering 6  $  3,000
Autosoft: MCT Fly Spy Stealth 6      $  3,000
Autosoft: Targetting (Ares Alpha) 6  $  3,000
Autosoft: Roto-Drone Maneuvering 6   $  3,000
Common: Encryption                   $     80
Common: Signal Scrubber              $     80
Hacking: Wrapper                     $    250

Electronics Subtotal                 $ 78,410

Survival:

Respirator 6                         $    300

Survival Subtotal                    $    300

Vehicles and Drones:

MCT Fly-Spy Drone                    $  2,000

Mod: Standard Weapon Mount x2      $  5,000
  Weapon: Ares Alpha Predator x2     $  5,300
  Ammo: Regular (10 Pack) x10        $    200
  Ammo: Gel (10 Pack) x10            $    250
  Grenades: Frag Grenade x5          $    500
  Grenades: Flashbang x5             $    500

Roto-Drone Subtotal                  $ 16,750

Vehicle/Drone Subtotal               $ 18,750

Gear Subtotal                        $120,135

Total Resources Spent                $460,535
Math is really, really annoying.

I also feel kinda hesitant to go with 1 in Strength and Agility, as dirtycajun suggested.

I can't even try a Running check without spending edge with just one strength.

And how does the physical limit work with cyberlimbs, too? Would I be stuck with the natural limit or would the physical limit readjust for the cyberlimb when I use it?

Edit: Whoops. Didn't realize no one posted after me earlier, sorry for the double post.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cabbit posted:

I don't think anyone has ever said that you should, only that, if people pick weaknesses (which, yes, includes bottom-level attributes), then these should come into play every now and then and trip the players up so they have to find alternate solutions. Otherwise, they are no longer actual weaknesses, and you might as well throw out the whole “buy a positive for a negative” notion and just give people the extra points they want.

The whole argument started with the contention that such disadvantages should never show up as an obstacle in the game because that's somehow mean to the players.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
Benr Gamer I am going to take a long look at your build some time tomorrow and make some meaningful suggestions, but I am a little burned out on math and thinking after what can only be termed as playing a missions game with perhaps the two loudest whiners I have ever played a game with. Laphroaig was a great GM but goddamn two people were loving awful.

For my next trick I am going to make a really cool illusionist mage who actually does things!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tippis posted:

The whole argument started with the contention that such disadvantages should never show up as an obstacle in the game because that's somehow mean to the players.

The argument came up because Cirno started asserting that having a Charisma of 1 meant someone was "incapable of having a conversation." Having weaknesses come up in play is fine, "you fail to have a conversation" is bullshit on par with "your Agility is 1 so roll to see if you trip and die while walking across the floor."

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kai Tave posted:

The argument came up because Cirno started asserting that having a Charisma of 1 meant someone was "incapable of having a conversation." Having weaknesses come up in play is fine, "you fail to have a conversation" is bullshit on par with "your Agility is 1 so roll to see if you trip and die while walking across the floor."

He was exaggerating to make the point that, no, having minimum attribute scores are not something that should never come up, or even only rarely, but rather is something that is a daily problem to the character and which should define their lives in general. This as a counter argument to the implication that you could min-max without actually suffering on (or from) the min end of the equation.

And yes, rules-wise, charisma 1 (and no skills) means you can never succeed at any kind of charisma-based challenge. You can still have a conversation, but unless it's under the right circumstances (time, preparation, guidance) any part of that conversation that entails convincing people, lying, fitting in with the crowd, or any similar non-trivial task will automatically fail. To what extent you consider that “incapable of conversing” is just a matter of how you define conversation.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tippis posted:

He was exaggerating to make the point that, no, having minimum attribute scores are not something that should never come up, or even only rarely, but rather is something that is a daily problem to the character and which should define their lives in general. This as a counter argument to the implication that you could min-max without actually suffering on (or from) the min end of the equation.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Logic 1 means you are incapable of using any electronics - posting pictures of cats on the internet is beyond you, you fail at any and all academic knowledge checks, and you may as well be unable to read.

Logic 1 means you are severely mentally deficient. Charisma 1 means you are incapable of holding a conversation.

So when he said "at Logic 1 you can't look up YouTube videos and might as well be functionally illiterate," neither of which are actually supported by any text I've been able to find anywhere in either the 4E or 5E books on the subject, I should have realized he was actually just being hyperbolic and not trying to make an actual point, okay.

quote:

And yes, rules-wise, charisma 1 (and no skills) means you can never succeed at any kind of charisma-based challenge. You can still have a conversation, but unless it's under the right circumstances (time, preparation, guidance) any part of that conversation that entails convincing people, lying, fitting in with the crowd, or any similar non-trivial task will automatically fail. To what extent you consider that “incapable of conversing” is just a matter of how you define conversation.

So literally any time anybody in a game you run has a conversation you make them roll skill checks to see if they manage to successfully converse?

Seriously, the argument that Cirno has been making here, as far as I can tell, is

1). Taking a 1 in a stat means you auto-fail associated skills (okay fine, that's not really in dispute)

2). Therefore if someone takes a 1 in a stat it means that they are functionally incapable of even basic life tasks because of point the first.

So either the GM is making his players roll to chat with the 7-11 clerk and order things off of Amazon.matrix or he isn't. If he is then frankly he's an rear end in a top hat. If he isn't then Cirno's insistence that someone with a 1 in a stat is fundamentally crippled is off-base.

My point, which nobody has really addressed so far, is why the guy with a 1 Charisma deserves the GM stinkeye while the guy with 2 Charisma is A-OK even if the actual capabilities of Mr. 2 Charisma are, for all practical purposes, not that much better than the guy with 1.

But put a 2 in a stat you plan on never using and nobody starts making bullshit hyperbolic arguments about how that guy's ready to fail at basic life skills even though his lovely 1-in-3 chance of a single hit (barring spending edge or whatever) means that he's probably not going to be accomplishing anything that really requires checks either, and therefore will probably be avoiding circumstances where he has to make those checks whenever possible.

Which is, y'know, what Shadowrun characters do all the time. If your party Street Sam has a Charisma of 2 and no social skills then he (probably) doesn't make social checks whenever possible. If there's a 'run that involves a fancy party then he works around that rather than blundering in and loving things up for everybody, he lets the Face handle negotiating the payment with Mr. Johnson, sort of like how you don't let the guy with lovely Demolitions skill defuse the time bomb. Sure, if he says "hey, I want to do [THING] that requires [SOCIAL SKILL]" then the GM is entirely within their rights to go "okay man, then roll your lovely 1 die and see if you probably gently caress it up, and you will probably gently caress it up"...but most of the time a guy with a low attribute and no skills is going to not be doing that poo poo in the first place. And sure, the GM can force him to make social checks whenever he wants but the conclusion is fairly forgone at that point so I'm not really sure what's gained by that beyond "here, let me remind you that you suck at this, okay moving on."

Someone with a 2 in a stat and no associated skills is essentially saying "I probably don't give a poo poo about skill checks here, whatever" just as much as the guy with a 1. So beyond the marginal chance of paper-thin success, what did the 2 Charisma street sam really get for spending those BP/attribute points beyond the Professor Cirno Seal of Approval? Because it seems kind of weird to me that people are treating the dude with a 1 as though that needs to be an active drawback, one that someone's entire character centers around, while the guy with 2 gets a shoulder shrug even though the level at which he's "more functional" is marginal.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Kai Tave posted:

My point, which nobody has really addressed so far, is why the guy with a 1 Charisma deserves the GM stinkeye while the guy with 2 Charisma is A-OK even if the actual capabilities of Mr. 2 Charisma are, for all practical purposes, not that much better than the guy with 1.

This has been addressed multiple times for gently caress's sake.

It's because NUMBERS MEAN SOMETHING. Logic 1 means something about your character. Logic 2 means something else. It means you are objectively smarter.

The average is 3. Logic 2? That means you are dumber then the average person. Logic 1? You are significantly dumber then the average person.

And there is a difference between attributes and skills. If you have 0 in a skill you are untrained in that skill. Cool, easy, I get that. I cannot use demolitions. My character is untrained in demolitions. The average skill in demolitions is untrained. It's 0. The average person's ability in a skill they never use is "uh, I've never used that, I'm not trained." 0.

But attributes are not skills. They are your core stats of your character. Logic is not "the modifier I attach to these explicit skills." Logic is "how smart is my character?" The average Logic is not zero. The average Logic is 3.

It will never stop amazing me that people are throwing a hissy fit at being expected to actually play out their dump stats.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

ProfessorCirno posted:

It will never stop amazing me that people are throwing a hissy fit at being expected to actually play out their dump stats.

A.) Your fit is by far the hissiest of anyone in this thread.
B.) Nobody is expecting to not play out their dump stats-- the problem is while some people think Int 1 is "slow", you seem to be convinced that it's "literally a loving rock".

The difference here, and something you never addressed, is you seem to have a much lower standard as to what prompts a check and what doesn't. Somebody with Logic 1 should not be forced to make Logic checks any more than a person with Logic 9 as a matter of course in their everyday life.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 25, 2013

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Cabbit posted:

A.) Your fit is by far the hissiest of anyone in this thread.
B.) Nobody is expecting to not play out their dump stats-- the problem is while some people think Int 1 is "slow", you seem to be convinced that it's "literally a loving rock".

The difference here, and something you never addressed, is you seem to have a much lower standard as to what prompts a check and what doesn't.

This whole dumb arguement happened because people took personal offense at being told dump stats were a thing you'd have to actually deal with and not just free points.

I've already stated that Logic 2 is "slow." I've shown HOW Logic 2 is "slow." I question: if Logic 2 is not "slow" then what is Logic 2? Logic 1 is the lowest possible stat you can have while still being conscious. It is lower the any given NPC in the game. It is lower then uneducated street trash. So Logic 1 is the dumbest character possible and Logic 2 is "between that and the human average."

I would hope that speaks for itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

People took offense at your frankly loving ridiculous, argumentative hyperbole. It is a massive disservice to any argument you attempt to make, and makes it incredibly difficult to take you seriously, let alone pay attention to you.

Logic 2 is 'below average'. It is literally one notch below average.