Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Senor Candle posted:

I keep seeing people saying Affleck isn't muscular or intimidating enough for the role.

These were released in 2004-2005. Not sure how far apart the actual filming was though.
(Sorry for the lovely image)
DeNiro had to do that for one movie (Raging Bull), which I don't envy in the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The MSJ posted:

Affleck is also known for being a comic book fan, isn't he? (or a "nerd" as they are called) I seem to recall him being more of a Superman fan, though.

He's friends with Kevin Smith, I'm sure he's forgotten more inane facts about Batman then we've ever known.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Affleck is also known for being a comic book fan, isn't he? (or a "nerd" as they are called) I seem to recall him being more of a Superman fan, though.

He's enough of a nerd/superhero aficionado that any nerds who are freaking out over the casting are literally some of the worst nerds have to offer. Affleck has proven himself as a writer and director, and he's not a bad actor to boot no matter how many lovely movies he makes.

Any video or article or blog post criticizing Affleck as a choice should be treated with heavy skepticism. Odds are said video or article is retardation, an attempt to get page views, or some combination thereof.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Hollis posted:

He's not suppose to look like a murderer, Bruce Wayne is a fantastically charming billionaire spend thrift and thrill seeker. Ben Affleck can play the hell out of that. He's suppose to be charming.

It's when he puts on the mask that he's suppose to be intimidating. Which I think he will be, he's even sort of done the "Batman" voice in Daredevil which honestly other than his performance over all how he spoke as Daredevil was fine.

If they do a Batman vs Superman thing, you may not really need him to be intimidating. Batman does not kick Superman in the dick and hang him off a building. Batman needs to think his way around the nearly insurmountable strengths of a demi-god and try to find some way to hobble him to more manageable level. So if this is really MoS 2 you have Bruce Wayne doing his silly playboy thing, and then he puts on the mask and tries to figure out "Who the hell is this freaky rear end alien blowing up poo poo all over the place, and how do I deal with this?". Cue a few attempts to look into Superman's personal life and maybe set up some traps to gauge his abilities and weaknesses, have them actually meet, blah blah at each other a bit, setup for big throw down, they do, someone pops wood and they realize they are both in to it and dig each other, best friends forever.

Which is how this sort of thing always goes down. Maybe you can add some big bad in the background they inevitably team up to stop while checking each other out. Either way you really don't need a traditional 'gruff and growling' Batman for this dynamic. That sort of poo poo looks faintly ridiculous next to a guy that could scream so loud Batman explodes on the spot.

e: Conversely this is all a long con and Batman's part is only a cameo. He tries to do the gruff voice thing and Superman screams so loud he explodes. This happens in the first 7 minutes and then the movie continues on never referencing him again.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 24, 2013

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Some new Thor 2 pictures.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Nice shorts, dork.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

The MSJ posted:

My two favourites from the Empire photo dump aren't in that batch, so here we go. A look at Asgard, which looks more like a matte painting here than it did in the first -- but I think looks awesome:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

He's enough of a nerd/superhero aficionado that any nerds who are freaking out over the casting are literally some of the worst nerds have to offer. Affleck has proven himself as a writer and director, and he's not a bad actor to boot no matter how many lovely movies he makes.

Nah, the worst nerds have to offer are people who give a poo poo about how much of a nerd/superhero aficionado an actor is rather than whether he's actually good at his job.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Jesus, you can barely even tell that's Christopher Eccleston under all of that.

Also his eyes look really stupid.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nah, the worst nerds have to offer are people who give a poo poo about how much of a nerd/superhero aficionado an actor is rather than whether he's actually good at his job.

It does explain why Affleck apparently dropped out of several projects he was attached to direct, including Warner Bros' new adaptation of The Stand.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I'm not sure why there's such an outrage at Affleck when we were given Henry Cavill for Superman. Cavill hadn't acted in all that much yet no one really cared that he was cast as Superman. I guess people feel much more protective of Batman? I really don't think Affleck is a bad actor so I don't think he'll do a terrible job. To me it was a weird choice but I guess we'll see.

I think most people are upset because Affleck is very famous and they're afraid they won't stop seeing an actor dressed up as Batman. It also seems a lot less likely that someone who has so many other career options will stick in the role long enough for a new series of films.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

Jesus, you can barely even tell that's Christopher Eccleston under all of that.

Also his eyes look really stupid.

They look photoshopped after the fact.

As for Affleck as Batman, I don't mind it! Really I'm open to different Batman simply because I'm not that attached to the character.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ghostwritingduck posted:

I think most people are upset because Affleck is very famous and they're afraid they won't stop seeing an actor dressed up as Batman. It also seems a lot less likely that someone who has so many other career options will stick in the role long enough for a new series of films.

Ben Affleck's last picture, which he produced directed and starred in, won a boatload of awards in general and a bunch for him personally. When the Director's Guild of America calls you the best director of your year, you don't suck. He could have done whatever the gently caress he wanted. He's on a fairly massive career high.

He chose to do Batman. Not even like a starring role Batman, but a mixed Batman/Superman picture. Dude clearly wants to be Batman, and if he has a good time doing it he can probably be convinced to stick around for a bit.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Even Woody Allen decided to be in a movie he's not directing, where he plays a pimp for his best friend. He also just directed a film that have both Cate Blanchett and Andrew Dice Clay. That's stranger than Affleck being Batman any day.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

ghostwritingduck posted:

It also seems a lot less likely that someone who has so many other career options will stick in the role long enough for a new series of films.

He signed a multi-picture deal, according to Hollywood Reporter.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Yeah it looks like Affleck finally reached the point in his career where he can say "gently caress the haters, I'm going to spend all these oscars and all this goodwill on my lifelong dream: Playing Batman and acting alongside Superman."

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The MSJ posted:

It does explain why Affleck apparently dropped out of several projects he was attached to direct, including Warner Bros' new adaptation of The Stand.

What? He was attached to direct The Stand? gently caress. Boot him off the Supes/Bats project, right now.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Holy poo poo I had never seen the failed Wonder Woman pilot till now and dear god, this is on a level of terrible I can barely comprehend. No wonder WB has cold feet with Wonder Woman.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

AccountSupervisor posted:

Holy poo poo I had never seen the failed Wonder Woman pilot till now and dear god, this is on a level of terrible I can barely comprehend. No wonder WB has cold feet with Wonder Woman.

Wait, you haven't seen it until now? I have PTSD flashbacks of how awful it is. For those not in the know:

It's so bad. The dialogue. The plot. It's so, so bad.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Linkara and some others did a review of it here for anyone else who hasn't seen it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The MSJ posted:

why Affleck apparently dropped out of several projects he was attached to direct, including Warner Bros' new adaptation of The Stand.

Oh gently caress really? Goddamnit that would have been awesome

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

api call girl posted:

What? He was attached to direct The Stand? gently caress. Boot him off the Supes/Bats project, right now.

He also dropped out of directing an adaptation of a Dennis Lahane novel (Live by Night) and a remake of French thriller Tell No One. WB is now looking at Scott Cooper of Crazy Heart fame to direct The Stand.

He's still starring in David Fincher's Gone Girl, which will be filming this fall.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 24, 2013

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Brian Cranston has expressed interest in being Luthor.

I am the one that Lex. :woop:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nerds would never shut up about Cranston being Lex but I can't see it being annoying on the same level of Ledger's Joker, and lord knows a good character like Lex needs some modern representation (Spacey was boss but he was just Hackman redux).

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

jscolon2.0 posted:

I haven't seen a minute of Breaking Bad but all of Malcolm in the Middle. Incredibly excited at Hal Luthor, basically.

Honestly I thought Jeff Bridges did a great job as Luthor in the first Iron Man movie.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

Cranston would make a perfect Gordon though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I see no reason to not recast Gary Oldman :colbert:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gary Oldman hasn't been a villain in a long time so he needs to do that again.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

massive spider posted:

Cranston would make a perfect Gordon though.

Fun fact, Cranston was the voice of Gordon in the animated version of Batman: Year One.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Armani posted:

I haven't seen a minute of Breaking Bad

Change that. Especially if you like Coen movies as Breaking Bad feels similar quite often.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mu Zeta posted:

He was like two years ago in Kung Fu Panda 2.

Also he was in that Paranoia film that looked strangely okay.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

Only if he's Luthor via Zorg.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cross post from the Man of Steel thread, but figured it was important enough.

Some website I don't know anything about is now saying it may be confirmed that Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor.

Metro.co.uk posted:

Bryan Cranston has reportedly been cast as Lex Luthor in the Batman/Superman team-up sequel to Man of Steel.

The Breaking Bad star is said to have signed up to play Superman’s long-time nemesis for a minimum of six films which could extend to ten.

An official announcement of Cranston’s casting will apparently be scheduled for after Breaking Bad finishes in order for the news to ride the wave of the finale, say Cosmic Book News.

A source told the website: ‘Cranston truly is a dream casting for Luthor’.

Bolded emphasis mine. If true, holy poo poo, what is WB planning here?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Cross post from the Man of Steel thread, but figured it was important enough.

Some website I don't know anything about is now saying it may be confirmed that Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor.

Bolded emphasis mine. If true, holy poo poo, what is WB planning here?

Affleck is rumored to be signed on for 18 films.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That's a big rumor going around that is being cross reported all across the web on smaller sites, but no big ones yet (because they can't verify it anywhere, probably).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Cast Cranston as Lex. And Gordon. And... Batman and Superman. And Lois.

I want to see Walter White perform Batman vs. Superman as a one man show :colbert:.

e: I AM THE ONE WHO DETECTS

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

TheJoker138 posted:

Affleck is rumored to be signed on for 18 films.

Christ. At a rate of one movie every two years, he'd be playing Batman until he's almost 80.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

tvb posted:

Christ. At a rate of one movie every two years, he'd be playing Batman until he's almost 80.
gently caress yeah, Batman Beyond movies.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

tvb posted:

It's an "18 appearance" deal, from what I've read. So be ready for 3 Batman movies, 3 Justice League movies, 1 Batman vs Superman movie, and then for Batman to show up Nick Fury style in everything else DC ever makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Yes, more Heimdall! MORE!

:allears: Idris Elba :allears:

• Locked thread