Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm on the neutral path trying to beat all challenge quests. Does that include the VR simulations and Mido's quest? I've taken all the demon missions and checked every board and those are the only ones left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nope. Chances are you've missed the Nozomi photography quests that are strewn about the residential areas of Tokyo. You also may have missed the demon-given quest "Tokyo Cosmos".

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

Nope. Chances are you've missed the Nozomi photography quests that are strewn about the residential areas of Tokyo. You also may have missed the demon-given quest "Tokyo Cosmos".

I got the cosmos and Nozomi is now queen of the fairies Although I don't know if that is the end of the story for her.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dehry posted:

I got the cosmos and Nozomi is now queen of the fairies Although I don't know if that is the end of the story for her.

There's NPCs in some of the towns that will want you to take pictures using the camera Nozomi gave you, you have to do all those as well.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Dehry posted:

I don't mean finish Nozomi's quest line, although that is a requirement. I mean there are 4 people around Tokyo who want you to take pictures of certain areas for them. You can't do these quests until you've done the first Nozomi quest, where she gives you a camera.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Die for Me isn't inheritable but Light Judgment or whatever the light equivalent is? Weird.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
They did that in P3P too and it drove me nuts. I spent so much time trying to make the perfect Thanatos and couldn't.

It worked in SJ, though, if I recall. I think I got that and Light Judgement on Anubis and just kept him walking around murdering entire enemy parties with a glance long after he should've been outdated. It was so great.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't mean finish Nozomi's quest line, although that is a requirement. I mean there are 4 people around Tokyo who want you to take pictures of certain areas for them. You can't do these quests until you've done the first Nozomi quest, where she gives you a camera.

I think I've only met two or 3 wanting pictures, so I guess that's what I missed. Thanks.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dehry posted:

I think I've only met two or 3 wanting pictures, so I guess that's what I missed. Thanks.

As a tip:
  • 3 of the 4 photo-quest givers are located in Shinjuku. Nozomi's acquaintance, an old lady who's located near the lockers at the west side, the hunter dude at the start of the route towards the Government Offices.
  • The fourth one is a little weird, since it requires you to go and seek Yuriko and then to go at the “fancier” parts of Ginza, but I remember triggering the quest a good deal earlier than that.

gently caress, this game gives you a lot of stuff to do. :allears:

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

MarsDragon posted:

They did that in P3P too and it drove me nuts. I spent so much time trying to make the perfect Thanatos and couldn't.

It worked in SJ, though, if I recall. I think I got that and Light Judgement on Anubis and just kept him walking around murdering entire enemy parties with a glance long after he should've been outdated. It was so great.

You can get it to work in FES, I have an Odin with it.
For some reason.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

subhelios posted:

You can get it to work in FES, I have an Odin with it.
For some reason.

They probably changed it between FES and P3P because I remember having Die for Me! on Thanatos in FES.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

They probably changed it between FES and P3P because I remember having Die for Me! on Thanatos in FES.

IIRC P3P uses a similar fusion system to P4 whereas in P3 and FES you could get anything to be inherited if you kept cancelling.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
e: misread.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Zoness posted:

IIRC P3P uses a similar fusion system to P4 whereas in P3 and FES you could get anything to be inherited if you kept cancelling.

Nocturne as well, to an extent.
Victory cry on everything!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

subhelios posted:

Nocturne as well, to an extent.
Victory cry on everything!

Victory Cry has never been unique as far as I know. Nocturne did have unique skills; notably Fiend skills like Andalucia or Pestilence Blade.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

Victory Cry has never been unique as far as I know. Nocturne did have unique skills; notably Fiend skills like Andalucia or Pestilence Blade.

I wasn't meaning that I thought it was unique, just saying I did a lot of cancelling and retrying to get it (and mana drain and megidolaon) on pretty much every single demon in the compendium.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

How specific are the requirements for Neutral?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

MrAristocrates posted:

How specific are the requirements for Neutral?

Your alignment has to be within 8 points of true neutral after making the final alignment choice. If it is, you'll be put on the path to the Neutral ending. There are no other requirements, but the alignment window is pretty narrow -- so narrow, in fact, that it's actually possible to be too neutral to get the Neutral ending (the final alignment choice gives you 10 points toward either Law or Chaos, so you have to tack a little in the opposite direction).

If you don't mind some spoilers, there's a full list of every alignment choice and its effects on GameFAQs.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Thuryl posted:

If you don't mind some spoilers, there's a full list of every alignment choice and its effects on GameFAQs.

That list isn't accurate, unfortunately. It looks like it's pulled from/a translation of this list which is outdated and hasn't been updated since the actual values were published later on. There are a couple of places where the changes are backwards, and at least one place where the actual alignment shift is substantially more than what's listed there.

ed: Here are the actual changes:

The choices for Dullahan are backwards--killing her is +Law, not killing her is +Chaos

The choices for the Black Samurai conversation are backwards--saying you could live in Tokyo is +Chaos, saying you couldn't is +Law.

Killing Lilith gives you +5 Law. (Not Listed)

Killing Yasomagatsuhi gives you +1 Chaos. (Not listed)

Accepting the quest to free Blasted Shibuya gives you +5 Law (required, also not listed)

Telling Akira you'd like to stay in Infernal Tokyo gives you +5 Chaos, not +1 Chaos

Telling Akira his world of Equality is not strange is +5 Law, not +1 Law

Also do not follow that guide's instructions for being Neutral or you'll end up being too Neutral to be Neutral when the final choice arrives.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 24, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone encountered random Japanese text in Persona 3 Portable? I was doing Yuko's 7>8 social link, said I like kids, gender doesn't matter and got a line of text that looked like it was supposed to have my name inserted into it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Genpei Turtle posted:

That list isn't accurate, unfortunately. It looks like it's pulled from/a translation of this list which is outdated and hasn't been updated since the actual values were published later on. There are a couple of places where the changes are backwards, and at least one place where the actual alignment shift is substantially more than what's listed there.

Ha, that explains why according to the guide I should have been at around -8 immediately before the final decision but actually ended up having to make the Chaos choice to end up Neutral. I assumed I'd just forgotten to count some +10 Law choice somewhere. Thanks for the corrections.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Dehry posted:

Has anyone encountered random Japanese text in Persona 3 Portable? I was doing Yuko's 7>8 social link, said I like kids, gender doesn't matter and got a line of text that looked like it was supposed to have my name inserted into it.

There's also some problems in some of the Velvet Room text when fusing or after fusions. Blame the editor.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Quick question since I didn't see opinions in the OP and this thread is too long to search, but what's the opinion on Soul Hackers? I have SMT IV and I'm loving it but when I'm done with it, that's looking tempting. But I didn't know if it was any good, so what is the general consensus on it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Quick question since I didn't see opinions in the OP and this thread is too long to search, but what's the opinion on Soul Hackers? I have SMT IV and I'm loving it but when I'm done with it, that's looking tempting. But I didn't know if it was any good, so what is the general consensus on it?

Soul Hackers isn't a bad game but it is unarguably a dated game. Coming right off SMTIV it may be pretty hard to get used to 1997-era design again.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I kind of want to play it because it's $30 now and I haven't redeemed the $30 bonus I got yet, but also I have Persona 2 in my Old SMT Games I Haven't Played Yet pile. I'll just wait for Devil Summoner 2 3DS.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I decided to pick up and try Nocturne. I loved SMT4 and always want to try 3, so I figured why not now? Is there anything I should keep in mind while play, like anything I should look for in the beginning or general tips?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I decided to pick up and try Nocturne. I loved SMT4 and always want to try 3, so I figured why not now? Is there anything I should keep in mind while play, like anything I should look for in the beginning or general tips?

You start off with a pixie and you may want to keep track of what you fuse her into There is a thing in the last part of the optional dungeon that can make your starting Pixie or her Fusion Descendant a super pixie. Definitely say you need her (I don't think there's any benefit for the alternative).

Other than that you can't save everywhere so make sure you save before fiend fights and stuff like that.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 29, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

You should check a Magatama guide to figure out what Magatamas give you what skills at what levels because it's pretty irritating and unintuitive otherwise. Also if you discard a skill from your main character it is gone forever, so choose wisely.

A lot of people will tell you to keep the first Pixie you meet with you for the entire game (you can fuse/sacrifice it, just don't delete it from your stock), but it's really not that important because the reward is pretty meh.

There are choices throughout the game you have to make that determine which endings will be available for you - unlike in SMT4 where it just totaled up your alignment points, here you also have to make correct responses during events. So... that kinda sucks.

Edit: You don't get a Compendium until... Ikebukuro, I think? So, uh, be aware of that when fusing.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 29, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TurnipFritter posted:

A lot of people will tell you to keep the first Pixie you meet with you for the entire game (you can fuse/sacrifice it, just don't delete it from your stock), but it's really not that important because the reward is pretty meh.

The reward isn't outright powerful but it's so sentimental :3:

Dec 26, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

There are choices throughout the game you have to make that determine which endings will be available for you - unlike in SMT4 where it just totaled up your alignment points, here you also have to make correct responses during events. So... that kinda sucks.

If you're talking about the big Reason flags they're very, very obvious at least.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Zoness posted:

The reward isn't outright powerful but it's so sentimental :3:

Honestly I'm just bitter because my first time through my Mother Harlot had the Pixie DNA in it and let me tell you that switch was not appreciated

Edit: Mystical Chests have better items during the Full Kagutsuchi phase, so you may want to hold off on opening them until then. Run around in circles or something.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 29, 2013

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Physical's the optimal build here, especially with a late game Magatama that imparts a physical Almighty attack that has the best animation.

Also, if a Magatama is glowing and twitching, it'll impart a skill on your next level up if you have it ingested, which is handy to keep in mind when you're about to reach your next level.

If you want to get the True Demon Ending, you need to complete the Labyrinth of Amala dungeon before the route lock, but keep in mind that locks you out of all the other endings.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TurnipFritter posted:

Honestly I'm just bitter because my first time through my Mother Harlot had the Pixie DNA in it and let me tell you that switch was not appreciated

Hey if anything that's just advice not to fuse your Pixie into a Fiend.

Strange Quark posted:

when you're about to reach your next level.

If you want to get the True Demon Ending, you need to complete the Labyrinth of Amala dungeon before the route lock, but keep in mind that locks you out of all the other endings.

It's also the most badass ending so I mean that hardly seems like a huge downside.

As a side-note: the Labyrinth of Amala is significantly more sadistic than anything SMT IV throws at you.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I'm going to play Soul Hackers as my first serious toe-dip into the SMT universe proper after futzing around a bit with Nocturne, P2, P3, and Overclocked... how terrible of a decision is this?

I've wanted to play Soul Hackers ever since it was almost brought Stateside in the late 90s and I feel like I owe it to my 16-year-old self to give it the ol' college try now that it's here.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zoness posted:

As a side-note: the Labyrinth of Amala is significantly more sadistic than anything SMT IV throws at you.

I had a walkthrough open for all kalpas but the first. :v:

And also most of the game, because gently caress teleport mazes.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

zenintrude posted:

I'm going to play Soul Hackers as my first serious toe-dip into the SMT universe proper after futzing around a bit with Nocturne, P2, P3, and Overclocked... how terrible of a decision is this?

I've wanted to play Soul Hackers ever since it was almost brought Stateside in the late 90s and I feel like I owe it to my 16-year-old self to give it the ol' college try now that it's here.

It's not bad, but it isn't representative of what the series has become.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Phew, OK. I'll try to keep that all in mind. Especially the magatama thing.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

TurnipFritter posted:

Wait, I thought you couldn't get the reward if you used it as a sacrifice? Everything I've ever seen about it says that fusing it into a new demon is kosher, but straight up sacrificing it is a no-no.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just another tip. Honestly, don't even bother going for any ending besides Neutral and True Demon on your first playthrough. The rest of them are really boring and are practically the same with just a tiny bit of dialogue changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
SMTIV: Neutral route, beat the final boss, got to the ending thing and didn't start a new file because I wanted to try to min-max my playthrough before carrying over my goodies. Anything in particular worth taking care of beforehand? I want to max my compendium and have the best gear by the end of my third playthrough (intending to play all three endings).