Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I love what you've done with the LOS markings on the base, awesome :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
:siren:Judgment is upon you:siren:
But first a moment of your time: my life is an absolute chaotic mess at the moment. Nothing bad or life-threatening, but there are few stable things that I can count on in terms of my work and my free time. As some of you may have noticed (or most of you, but who's counting), I've not been able to get on here every day to accept oaths. I have tried to do it as much as I can, but I do not see things stabilizing any time soon. At this point, it is not fair to you, the Oathers, to have to continue to suffer for my problems, and so it is with great regret that I must stop doing my job of accepting oaths. However, I will still be judging all of you through the end of the competition, so no more talk about that: time to get judged.

One Point: Slimnoid!

While I am duly impressed by your airbrush skills, I'm more impressed by your restrained palette of colors. There are a few technical issues, but that doesn't detract from the overall look of what you've done. The volume of models is also quite impressive.

Two Points: Booley!

Excellent photography aside, these are exceptionally clean, modern and some of your best work to date. While the scheme is simple, it is lovely and somehow unexpected. Lovely job.

Three Points: Arlaharen!

You're always putting out good stuff, but I think you have the most fun when you do Hordes models. At least, that is the impression that I get from this work. Lovely tones, excellent color choice and your typical bright style all work out in an exceptional example of your work, which easily earns you these points.

Cool Kid's Point: Monoliths

Honestly, the fact that this whole squad got the treatment is a good enough reason; but, added with your lovely paint job, you've certainly earned our theme point for the month.

Bavius posted:

I Bavius oath to paint a blitza bomba ork jet, a 28 mm 40k model

ineptmule posted:

ineptmule oaths TWO TAU PATHFINDERS and ONE TAU CADRE FIREBLADE (kitbashed)

Namenlos posted:

I, Namenlos, Oath 4 Space Marine dudes.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I Indolent Bastard, am making a smaller oath addition of 2 Fantasy Football Ghouls from Impact! Miniatures 28mm scale minis

Galaspar posted:

For August I, Galaspar, oath this Chaos Rhino. It's a 28m Warhammer 40,000 miniature by Games Workshop

TarDolphinorShark posted:

I TarDolphinorShark oath one 28mm Ramshackle Games Dunger for August.

Accepted.

Brock Samsonite posted:

I, Brock Samsonite, oath this Eldar Wave Serpent based on a bag of cough-drops from Games Workshop for the month of August.

Paint over that bag and it'll be fine. Accepted.

Slimnoid posted:

Finished making the base for my Librarian, for the Get Based Out bonus.

I'm assuming this is an AP. If so, accepted.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Sole.Sushi posted:

:siren:Judgment is upon you:siren:
But first a moment of your time: my life is an absolute chaotic mess at the moment. Nothing bad or life-threatening, but there are few stable things that I can count on in terms of my work and my free time. As some of you may have noticed (or most of you, but who's counting), I've not been able to get on here every day to accept oaths. I have tried to do it as much as I can, but I do not see things stabilizing any time soon. At this point, it is not fair to you, the Oathers, to have to continue to suffer for my problems, and so it is with great regret that I must stop doing my job of accepting oaths.
Sushi, you've done more than most to help make the Oath Thread what it is. Much of the ambience and the general...how the French say, I don't know what, is down to you.

But fear not ladies and gentlefolk, I'll be doing the APs from the start of next month :ohdear:

quote:

However, I will still be judging all of you through the end of the competition, so no more talk about that: time to get judged.

See? You guys and gals still have plenty to worry about.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Welp, I finished the second of my 5, complete with hideously lovely OSL. It's all good practice, and I can;t be hosed with that mini any more. The rest should be much quicker, as they're a batch of 3 identical minis so I should rocket through them.

Must post some pics, but I'll probably do so post-painting-all-of-them.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
:gifttank:Judgement!:gifttank:

3rd Place, 1 Point: Moths

Love the bases. The grey plus the moss/lichen looks sharp. Awesome colors, especially your dusty, weathered greens in every model, really brings them together, great looking group, everything has a really consistent look.

2nd Place, 2 Points: Arlaharen

Lots of great contrast going on with these models. Love the pinks in the recesses of the skin of the Road Hog. The blues pop out real loud, the orange liquid dropping down to red looks sweet. I love how much brown you've used while still keeping it interesting, especially given the bases are brown as well.

1st Place, 3 Points: Monoliths

I love that even with all the converting that you did, every thing was assembled nice and clean and neat. Smooth cuts, lines gone, barrels drilled. You then went on to dirty them all up in an equally impressive fashion, keeping your technique controlled despite the wide range of colors used. Bases fit right in, they look like they belong with those models.

Detektuv's Jurnal Bonus, Cut and Swap, 1 Point: Arlaharen

A mighty fine looking arm. I like all the changes to this model in fact, the new head, the molten poo poo coming out of the other arm, looks sweet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Have a washed out picture that proves I have completed the Speed painting! bonus.

Could you please add the "start" photo to this post, so I have both the start and end photo in the same post/url? I've already credited you for the point.

Slimnoid posted:

Finished making the base for my Librarian, for the Get Based Out bonus.

My friend's phone couldn't get any closer than New York, but it's in the same time zone so whatever :v:

krushgroove posted:

Cool! So this is your oath picture to 'start' this particular piece, correct? meaning, you'll be painting it up by the end of the month? Just making sure you're doing it right.

Hmm. Slimnoid also already has an oath for this month going. Should I be tracking the "oath" post for a Get Based Out entry separately somewhere? Or, should Slimnoid be combining this with his regular oath post?

Bachtere posted:

2nd Place, 2 Points: Arlaharen

Detektuv's Jurnal Bonus, Cut and Swap, 1 Point: Arlaharen

I uh... huh. Is this kosher? Maybe we never said it wasn't, but I'm thrown how to account for it. I mean obviously I can just put 3 points in the points column, but it might look like I accidentally assigned two 1st places. Maybe I'll just tack a note to that cell. Yeah. That'll work.

But I'm drawing attention just in case it was unintentional.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

Could you please add the "start" photo to this post, so I have both the start and end photo in the same post/url? I've already credited you for the point.

Hmm. Slimnoid also already has an oath for this month going. Should I be tracking the "oath" post for a Get Based Out entry separately somewhere? Or, should Slimnoid be combining this with his regular oath post?

I uh... huh. Is this kosher? Maybe we never said it wasn't, but I'm thrown how to account for it. I mean obviously I can just put 3 points in the points column, but it might look like I accidentally assigned two 1st places. Maybe I'll just tack a note to that cell. Yeah. That'll work.

But I'm drawing attention just in case it was unintentional.

It was intentional. It's a very good arm.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oath complete!

In addition to the mud and the shading it entails, the knight has had rust pigments applied to his sword, shield, one pauldron, one bracer, and helmet.

This month was a lot of fun! I had a great time basing the guys and dirtying them up, although it was a bit harrowing. The farmer's base is paint (Reaper Walnut Brown) mixed with snow basing material. I slathered that on and then sealed it with a 2:1 acrylic medium:water mix. The knight's base is dirt flock mixed with Realistic Water with some Marsh Blend static grass sprinkled on top.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I should probably check this thread more often!

krushgroove posted:

Cool! So this is your oath picture to 'start' this particular piece, correct? meaning, you'll be painting it up by the end of the month? Just making sure you're doing it right.

Leperflesh posted:

The point was to combine it with the Librarian I already oathed this month. I was under the impression that the base for a model could be separate for the Get Based Out bonus, but I think I only caused some :confused: in the process. As it is, I painted the Librarian before I made the base, so things are a little weird now.

I think I'll abstain from trying the Get Based Out bonus for this month and reserve it for the future; I've got a much better idea on the back-burner that would be much more suited for the bonus anyway. I'll list what bonuses I aimed for on my Oath Completed post, for the sake of clarity.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 20, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Leperflesh posted:

Done.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Slimnoid posted:

I should probably check this thread more often!

The point was to combine it with the Librarian I already oathed this month. I was under the impression that the base for a model could be separate for the Get Based Out bonus, but I think I only caused some :confused: in the process.
No no the only confusion is what I've created, as usual. The GBO is meant be be built and painted inside of a normal oathing month, which is the only real reason it needs to be oathed. I forgot to follow up with Leperflesh about his question on that, which isn't your fault at all.

quote:

As it is, I painted the Librarian before I made the base, so things are a little weird now.
You're actually still fine, the GBO can be done separately and your model mounted on it if you want. At the end of the oathing season (May 2014) the judges will judge the bases on their own merit, with or without mounted models.

quote:

I think I'll abstain from trying the Get Based Out bonus for this month and reserve it for the future; I've got a much better idea on the back-burner that would be much more suited for the bonus anyway.
This is fine too, you only get one shot at the Get Based Out mini-competition so go-all out :)

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Pash posted:

I have a question about the Weathering Jurnal. For it can you do the stuff to the base? You mentioned using mud, and I based 4 of my guys to make them look like they were standing on muddy ground. Would this count or I have to throw some mud on their models?

Can I get an answer on this?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pash posted:

Can I get an answer on this?

Sorry - saw this a while ago but didn't get around to answering it. Anyway, yes - the base is part of the model, so if you're adding mud effects (whatever those may be) to the base, you're good.

Germ
May 7, 2013

I, Germ, make an oath for the month of August! It's a sad, small oath, much too late in the month to be of any good to anyone. I've been busy with "other stuff" (andthereisstilltimeleftohpleaseifyouplay40khelpmebytakingalookatmykickstarter). But it's the oath I have, and it's probably more oath than I deserve. It may not look like much now, but it's a test model. The start of something glorious. The start of something efflugent. Efflugent and putrescent. Also, gross. It's a Plaguebearer, a 28mm model by Games Workshop.

Praise Nurgle.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Germ posted:

I, Germ, make an oath for the month of August!It's a Plaguebearer, a 28mm model by Games Workshop.

Accepted.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
:siren: FELLOW GOONS :siren:

ENTER YE THE HALL OF BROKEN OATHS
sorry this is late

GAZE YE UPON THIS LIST OF SHAME AND REMEMBER
bhsman
Bionic Psyker
Fuegan
Fyrbrand
Galaspar
Grabpot Thundergust
KamNZ
lovestick*
Loxbourne
lunchbox624
OneTrueBru
PierreTheMime
Pierzak
tasty food
Thundercloud
YF19pilot

I was told that I might be being too harsh on the Oathbreakers, so no more mugshots...unless there's a big outcry for them

Whosoever wishes to claim the Oathbreaker Avatar of Penitence to have it permanently bonded to their future communicades with your fellow goons, and thus attempt to regain an infinitesimal fraction of your lost honour, may claim the honour within 24 hours, and a fight to the death shall ensue, with the victor claiming the Oathbreaker Avatar of Penitence for all time. (In plain English: No one is required to take the avatar. If you want the Oathbreaker avatar (see it below), in the 24 hours after this post is live, just post in this thread that you want it, and there will be a random draw to see who gets it - but no changing your avatar after you get it!)

"I'm saying more than that, Captain. You failed that oath! Failed it!"

*The only person ineligible for this avatar is lovestick...who already has an Oathbreaker avatar from this oathing season!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 24, 2013

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

krushgroove posted:

sorry this is late

bhsman
Bionic Psyker
Fuegan
Fyrbrand
Galaspar
Grabpot Thundergust
KamNZ
lovestick*
Loxbourne
lunchbox624
OneTrueBru
PierreTheMime
Pierzak
tasty food
Thundercloud
YF19pilot

I was told that I might be being too harsh on the Oathbreakers, so no more mugshots...unless there's a big outcry for them

Whosoever wishes to claim the Oathbreaker Avatar of Penitence to have it permanently bonded to their future communicades with your fellow goons, and thus attempt to regain an infinitesimal fraction of your lost honour, may claim the honour within 24 hours, and a fight to the death shall ensue, with the victor claiming the Oathbreaker Avatar of Penitence for all time. (In plain English: No one is required to take the avatar. If you want the Oathbreaker avatar (see it below), in the 24 hours after this post is live, just post in this thread that you want it, and there will be a random draw to see who gets it - but no changing your avatar after you get it!)

*The only person ineligible for this avatar is lovestick...who already has an Oathbreaker avatar from this oathing season!

I kind of want to fail my oath just to get that avatar.

Speaking of failing it I may just do that :( decided to swap army colour scheme from ulthwe to Iyanden so the wave serpent has to be re-painted this weekend

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

krushgroove posted:

sorry this is late

bhsman
Bionic Psyker
Fuegan
Fyrbrand
Galaspar
Grabpot Thundergust
KamNZ
lovestick*
Loxbourne
lunchbox624
OneTrueBru
PierreTheMime
Pierzak
tasty food
Thundercloud
YF19pilot

Yeah, I accept the shame, and I'll gladly wear the sack-cloth of this avatar while I chew on the ashes of my failure.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Bonus internet points if you can name the noir movie the avatar comes from (or the movies any of the avatars come from)!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

krushgroove posted:

[b]GAZE YE UPON THIS LIST OF SHAME AND REMEMBER
bhsman

Wait, what? :stare: How did I win the Infinity monthly prize and fail an oath at the same time?

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

My Bones arrived! :woop: Accordingly,

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath for the month of August, this Bones Wizard!

My other half has gone to Darwin for the weekend, so I'm spending the next few days visiting my mother's house. I'm bringing some Bones kobolds with me to try to get my brothers to have a go at painting. :3: I hope I've packed the right paints, cos uni starts on Monday and I might not have much spare time to waste on wizards.

I also have a question - for the Jurnal, would some form of spell residue count as weathering?

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Schmetterling posted:

I'm bringing some Bones kobolds with me to try to get my brothers to have a go at painting. :3:

Not a bad choice for a first mini, especially with steady hands. I've been painting mine this month (for my Oath, actually), and they don't really require a very complicated color scheme.

Also, I know other goons have discovered this, but that Bones plastic cuts amazingly easily with a sharp knife, if you're in the mood to do modding or weapon swaps.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
:zombie: I, Asphyxious, Oath one Ariadna Dozer field Engineer (by Corvus Belli) for the month of August. :zombie:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

bhsman posted:

Wait, what? :stare: How did I win the Infinity monthly prize and fail an oath at the same time?

Ulp. My fault! I credited you correctly for your July oath, points etc., but I failed to copy/paste in the link to your completed oath post. I suspect this means you might have been left out of the slideshow for judging, too. Krushgroove, can you check?

In any case, you are no oathbreaker! You can't have that avatar.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

No, he was in the slideshow. I remember seeing his stuff. :v: All good on that front.

Asphyxious posted:

I, Asphyxious, Oath one Ariadna Dozer field Engineer (by Corvus Belli) for the month of August.

Schmetterling posted:

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath for the month of August, this Bones Wizard!

Accepted.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Sorry for the lateness but I'll have my judging up tomorrow. Been one of those weeks.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

krushgroove posted:

Sorry - saw this a while ago but didn't get around to answering it. Anyway, yes - the base is part of the model, so if you're adding mud effects (whatever those may be) to the base, you're good.

Thanks. I'm glad, the mud base is awesome, but the model looked good enough that I didn't want to throw more mud on the guys cloths.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
:siren: Oath complete! :siren:

Jurnal: Everything on them really.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I WhiteOutMouse Oath 6 Daemonettes of Slaanesh for August (Games Workshop, 28mm, Themed Group)

I might have to add a marine head or something else to weather on the base. Did we say if that was acceptable or does it have to be on the main model?

Also, models are primed white, glued onto bases painted black.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I WhiteOutMouse Oath 6 Daemonettes of Slaanesh for August (Games Workshop, 28mm, Themed Group)

Accepted. Also, Guild Wars 2 I see. :respek:

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Oath Complete

The weathering theme is the scrapes on the leading edge of the gun drones. Zipping around a battlefield has to mess up the paint job a little, I figure.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I Weirdo Oath three warmachine Objective Markers for the Month of August (Privateer Press, 30mm).

I'm going to also attempt the Detektuv's Jurnal: Weathering and muck these ammo boxes up a bit.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Better late than never

:siren:I black_Nexus Oath one GW skeleton for the month of August!:siren:

Going for the journal!

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
I, Tadhg, swear a fell Oath to paint Sharkey and Worm (Saruman and Grima) for the month of August..

They're both from the GW Lord of the Rings miniatures line.

For the Shire! :hist101:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Tonight is the deadline for new oaths and oat additions! See the OP (Ctrl + F 'deadline') for the cutoff times, but it's still 0:00 GMT.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
I, overthefalls, oath 1 Menoth Crusader from Privateer Press for the month of August.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Since I'll be approving future oaths, I'm not going to put any models I paint in this thread, but I did just finish a converted Nurgle Dreadnought with my first try at pigment weathering. Pics are in the Mini Painting thread, and I must say it went pretty easy. If you're looking for a new technique to learn definitely give it a shot. I just hope the pigment stays in place with all the handling and storage, but it should be OK.

Galaspar posted:

Yeah, I accept the shame, and I'll gladly wear the sack-cloth of this avatar while I chew on the ashes of my failure.

Well you're the only one that wants the Oathbreaker avatar this month (and so many recidivists! again!), so it's all yours!

bhsman posted:

Your name has been stricken from the Hall of Shame. THIS TIME.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 24, 2013

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

krushgroove posted:

Well you're the only one that wants the Oathbreaker avatar this month (and so many recidivists! again!), so it's all yours!

Thanks!

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp
I, Android, oath one GW ork kannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Cutting it close! Less than 2 hours to go before NO MORE OATHS!

• Locked thread