Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
That's your choke lever. The actual choke is on your carburetors, and it's attached to the lever by a wire. Did you rebuild your carbs yet? That's the first place I would go to on an idling issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd check the simpler things like air leak (does the idle change if you spray some starter fluid around where the carb goes into the engine?) And run some seafoam, fresh gas, and some solid time with the throttle pinned to get the gas flowing through the carbs.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
What does rebuilding a carb entail?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ScienceAndMusic posted:

a lot of faffing about.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Taking it apart. Soaking all the metal bits in a harsh chemical wash ("carb cleaner") to dissolve varnish and any gunk. Inspecting and replacing any bad gaskets and o-rings. Then putting it all back together and praying you didn't gently caress up. It will take a few hours and a lot of tools and it's a pain the rear end. I recommend you look up the process for your specific type of carburetor on Google, there are a lot of good guides out there available for free.
It doesn't have to be the FIRST thing you do, but it's likely going to be necessary if you're not sure it's been done for a while. I've been putting it off doing it on my bike for a while now, it's not fun.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

notZaar posted:

Taking it apart. Soaking all the metal bits in a harsh chemical wash ("carb cleaner") to dissolve varnish and any gunk. Inspecting and replacing any bad gaskets and o-rings. Then putting it all back together and praying you didn't gently caress up. It will take a few hours and a lot of tools and it's a pain the rear end. I recommend you look up the process for your specific type of carburetor on Google, there are a lot of good guides out there available for free.
It doesn't have to be the FIRST thing you do, but it's likely going to be necessary if you're not sure it's been done for a while. I've been putting it off doing it on my bike for a while now, it's not fun.

Alright I might have the time to do that in about two weeks time.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Is there a plastic equivalent for re-creating threads? I seem to have gorilla fisted the screws on my CB400T's airbox. :/

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah I've done that with epoxy. Clean out the hole, maybe drill it, fill it in with epoxy, drill it again to the right size, tap it or something. It kinda worked.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
On ADVrider someone told me this

quote:

Probably has a leaking float base o-ring. Fix that first before assuming you have jetting issues.

----------------
This is all I need to do this, right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mikuni-TM33...0bd448e&vxp=mtr

Should I soak my carb too to get it extra clean? There is a big thread about using pine sol on ADV rider and I read about some different carb soakers mentioned as well. As I have said earlier, I am trying to learn all this stuff, a month ago I couldn't even get the carb off the bike, and all the help here is awesome.

Any other stuff I should do? I have ran a couple of tanks with seafoam and it is running better, but not flawless. Are there any other recommended fuel additives I should try out?

I probably need to check my valves too, is that super hard? I have never done it or hired anyone to do it. I already have this bike running much better, but I want to get it running awesome. I am planning on a maintenance day next weekend so I want to get everything I need ordered before then.

thanks fellas

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Another lame question from the functionally dumb new rider! I can't seem to get my bike up on its center-stand alone. If i have someone with me I can muscle it up there, but by myself I am just not strong enough to get it on the center stand. Is there some trick I am missing?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I thought the same thing for the first few weeks of riding. Then I realized it was about angle of pull and not strength. There's a certain angle that you pull when you're grabbing the appropriate area (seat bar, frame, etc) while standing on the centerstand it just pops up. My little sister (who weighs 90lbs or something insanely small) can get both my Enfield (350lbs) and CB650 (580lbs) onto the centerstand without any real effort expended. A gigantic hulk of a man can't do it until he figures out the right angle to pull it at.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

I thought the same thing for the first few weeks of riding. Then I realized it was about angle of pull and not strength. There's a certain angle that you pull when you're grabbing the appropriate area (seat bar, frame, etc) while standing on the centerstand it just pops up. My little sister (who weighs 90lbs or something insanely small) can get both my Enfield (350lbs) and CB650 (580lbs) onto the centerstand without any real effort expended. A gigantic hulk of a man can't do it until he figures out the right angle to pull it at.

There really aren't a whole lot of places to grab my bike... but I shall try! THanks for the tip.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, you have to grab the bike to pull it up on the center stand. Many bikes with a center stand give you a handle specifically to do so. Also, keep in mind that grabbing the handlebars does not work to pull it up - I hold the handlebars with my left hand simply to keep the front wheel straight, but not to pull the bike back with. The wheel really has to be straight, too, because straightening it out lifts the bike ever slightly more off of the ground, and keeps it rolling straight backwards.

On my Enfield it gives me a handle to pull back with, and on the Honda you grab the bar that runs around the bottom edge of the seat.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I still haven't figured out how to do it on my bike. It was pretty easy with the scooter, just roll it backwards with one hand lifting up on the pinion. I guess its a model specific learned skill. Can't imagine when I would actually need the center stand though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Pulling on the bars is a good way of slamming the bar into the tank. Try lifting on the passenger peg.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
All bikes with a centerstand I've had have had a tab sticking out for a foot. You just roll it backwards and step down and boom it's up. Well, after you figure out the movement.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

I've tried everything, am pouring sweat, cannot get that bastard bike on its center stand. Well I guess its oil change will have to wait :(

mainks
Jun 13, 2013

Day one (NYC to Cleveland, OH) is done. I'm still alive.

My battery isn't though. The bike wouldn't turn over at the last gas station I visited. Cue a small bunch of hog riders and myself bump starting my 650 in a beautiful gas station parking lot, and me riding off into the shithole that is Cleveland.

I am going to go to Auto Zone and grab a battery hopefully. Any better options ringing bells?

(I'm technically in Rocky River, OH - just outside of Cleve)

2001 SV650

mainks fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 25, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The Enfield's tab is only a few inches long. It's NOT about standing on the tab (though you have to move the centerstand, that's it). It's about the angle. I know, it's very weird to explain.

If you're really having a hard time you could roll the rear tire onto a block of wood (longways) to prop it up a bit to help.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Is this the CX? My current CX is a breeze to get up using the passenger grab rail, in my old one I would lift up under the seat just a smidge and up it'd go.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Just tried it with the wood stuff, no dice. I just can't seem to get this thing on its stand. I mean I am a total weakling, no argument, but I swear this is the hardest thing ever, and I have gotten other bikes on their center stand no problem. I have tried everything, and I am assuming an oil change with it on the side stand is not a good idea.
Mine is a kz550

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I've tried everything, am pouring sweat, cannot get that bastard bike on its center stand. Well I guess its oil change will have to wait :(

Look for a howto on youtube, it's how I finally got it

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Where are you located? I'd be curious to know if someone lives close to you who could give you a hand with the centerstand and carbs.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Where are you located? I'd be curious to know if someone lives close to you who could give you a hand with the centerstand and carbs.

San Diego, north county, carlsbad to be specific.

edit: should my center stand how rubber feet or grommets on it, because mine is just bear metal. Maybe thats why I can't get any leverage.

ScienceAndMusic fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 25, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ScienceAndMusic posted:

San Diego, north county, carlsbad to be specific.

edit: should my center stand how rubber feet or grommets on it, because mine is just bear metal. Maybe thats why I can't get any leverage.

Nowhere near me, unfortunately.

The center stands I've seen are bare metal. I don't know about your kz550, but a quick google image search indicates bare metal.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Look for a howto on youtube, it's how I finally got it

Thanks, just watched one and I think I get it. I tried it and it got closer than I've gotten it before but I am so tuckered out I think I just need to try again in the morning. I only weigh like 130 lbs so I don't add much leverage unforunately.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
It's not really about weight on the stand though, pulling the bike backwards should do all the work really.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Grab the handlebars and straighten them out.

Put your foot on the foot thing there. Start pushing it down and stand the bike up until you feel the opposite foot touch down. Keep your foot on it.

Grab the close handlebar with one hand, and grab under the fender where the seat is.

Stepp down on the foot thing and lift up. It's all about leverage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6TGuO03wHM

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Oh my god I got it! Haha it seems so easy now! Its really just something you have to feel to figure out.

Now all I need is a torque wrench DOH!

ScienceAndMusic fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 25, 2013

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I live in San Diego and work up in Carlsbad. If you ever want help dicking with the bike hit me up. I've done plenty of resuscitating semi, nearly and fully dead bikes.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Bugdrvr posted:

I live in San Diego and work up in Carlsbad. If you ever want help dicking with the bike hit me up. I've done plenty of resuscitating semi, nearly and fully dead bikes.

Thanks I'll keep it in mind! This bike actually is doing quite well and runs pretty great already, but I still want to rebuild the carbs, and do pretty much everything else to make sure everything is running properly, not just because it will do the bike good but because I'll learn so much in the process!

Torque wrench achieved, and oil pan thing, tomorrow morning I'm gonna get her hot, then drain her and fill her with oil.

How do I get this cotter pin out?

ScienceAndMusic fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 25, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Oh my god I got it! Haha it seems so easy now! Its really just something you have to feel to figure out.
Every time someone says they are using all their strength to put a bike on its stand it is a very safe bet they are doing it completely wrong. Even the heaviest bikes can be put up with ease once you have the technique. Glad you have it figured out

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Also leave the carbs alone until it's a last resort.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Now all I need is a torque wrench DOH!

Been reading the last few posts you made, despite the ever present goon advice of "rebuild the carb" check your choke lever and see if your bike has a idle adjustment screw.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

HNasty posted:

Been reading the last few posts you made, despite the ever present goon advice of "rebuild the carb" check your choke lever and see if your bike has a idle adjustment screw.

The bike idles where it should about 50% of the time so if I turned down the idle adjustment screw I would be killing the engine when it is idling normally. But I will check my choke stuff thanks.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Street Triple owners, lend me your ear.

At low speed turn in on my ST3 (no R) feels really sloppy. It goes from straight to almost falling over and the suspension is a bit choppy. By choppy I mean any road bumps are directly and rudely communicated back to me via the bars. Once I'm over 15mph this sloppy steering and suspension issue goes away and the ST3 is great.

I've noticed this going on for a while but I rode my Honda CBR250 today and it has none of that nonsense. The difference in ride quality is making me think this is not normal behavior for a ST3.

I have no idea where to begin to figure out if this is a real issue and if I should be looking at a fix or if I'm just imagining things and that's how bigger bikes ride.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

ScienceAndMusic posted:

The bike idles where it should about 50% of the time so if I turned down the idle adjustment screw I would be killing the engine when it is idling normally. But I will check my choke stuff thanks.
b

If it does that then ride it.

Or you can spend a lot of time taking the carbs apart then posting a lot of questions here then sell the bike in pieces.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

nsaP posted:

b

If it does that then ride it.

Or you can spend a lot of time taking the carbs apart then posting a lot of questions here then sell the bike in pieces.

b?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stugazi posted:

Street Triple owners, lend me your ear.

At low speed turn in on my ST3 (no R) feels really sloppy. It goes from straight to almost falling over and the suspension is a bit choppy. By choppy I mean any road bumps are directly and rudely communicated back to me via the bars. Once I'm over 15mph this sloppy steering and suspension issue goes away and the ST3 is great.

I've noticed this going on for a while but I rode my Honda CBR250 today and it has none of that nonsense. The difference in ride quality is making me think this is not normal behavior for a ST3.

I have no idea where to begin to figure out if this is a real issue and if I should be looking at a fix or if I'm just imagining things and that's how bigger bikes ride.

Check tyre pressures and condition, check steering head bearings. The non-R has no suspension adjustment AFAIK. The striple is hardly what I'd describe as a 'bigger' bike and it feels about the same weight as the various 400cc sportsbikes I've had, with the added bonus of way less steering effort and better low speed maneuverability (sp?).

Granted the last striple I rode was right off the back of my ZRX so it felt like a razor-sharp precision instrument anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

mainks posted:

Day one (NYC to Cleveland, OH) is done. I'm still alive.

My battery isn't though. The bike wouldn't turn over at the last gas station I visited. Cue a small bunch of hog riders and myself bump starting my 650 in a beautiful gas station parking lot, and me riding off into the shithole that is Cleveland.

I am going to go to Auto Zone and grab a battery hopefully. Any better options ringing bells?

(I'm technically in Rocky River, OH - just outside of Cleve)

2001 SV650

Good luck, but I don't think autozone keeps the batteries in stock.