Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Welp, I just finished this game, and I'm sad to say it's probably my number one disappointing game of the year.

Stuff from the storymode, so I'm gonna spoiler it all.

First of all, whoever first called this "Saints Row 3.5: Fan Service the Game" was spot on. It's the same engine, the same city, a ton of the same activities, and a lot of the same weapons.
The addition of superpowers, which was this game's big selling point I assume, makes a ton of content absolutely obsolete. What's the point of customising or upgrading vehicles when you'll never drive a car outside of the specific missions. Same with gang members. Why waste money on them when you can kill everything easily with the extremely overpowered weapons and offensive powers you get? Giving you the superpowers that early was a mistake, as it's fun to jump around a bit for half an hour, but it gets old pretty fast.

Next up, the activities. A ton of them are just ripped from the old SR3. Hell, some, like fraud, has been with us since SR2. And a lot of the others were either defend/assault missions or just mayhem missions with restrictions on what weapons and powers you're allowed to use. They all felt like filler and thrown on just to extend game time. (They even have an obligatory side mission you have to do to proceed the main mission called "Padding on gameplay", heh)
The races were pretty fun, but none of them were even remotely challenging, and they all felt very same-y.
About the towers. Now, I'm one of those crazy people that actually like jumping puzzles in games. However, the towers were all extremely generic, and although I didn't check, it wouldn't surprise me if the layout of the inner tower on each of them was the same, as it felt pretty similiar climbing up all of them.

For the challenges, you had a lot of "Finish this many activities with silver/gold", as well as a ton of the good old "Kill X enemies with weapon Y". I didn't finish this section because frankly I can't be arsed to grind out weapon kills for the pretty lovely rewards you got from most of them.

The "real" missions were kinda hit-or-miss.(I'm not counting any of the non-loyality side missions, since they were literally all "Do these activities") Some were kinda fun, but others were really stupid, tedious, and in some cases, a loving pain to do because of bad mechanics. The writing was also really bad in places.(In Kinzies' loyality mission the villain suddenly starts spouting sexist remarks because I guess the writers remembered that Kinzie really didn't have any reason to give a poo poo about that guy.) The story also had the most fan service I've ever seen in a recent game, and every other mission seemed to be a bad parody or reference to either something in the earlier games, other franchises, or something from popular culture.
While some people might enjoy that, it irked the poo poo out of me.

In short: I cannot in good conscience recommend buying this at full price. For 20 bucks or something it might be a good buy, but the thing I enjoyed most in the game, the variety of new weapons, could just as well have been just a DLC pack for SR3.

And before anyone says it, no I don't hate fun, I'm just rather bitter that I paid 50 euro for what I feel is a glorified expansion for SR3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Fanservice: The game, is really the best thing for it right now if Volition are being honest about this being the last SR or at least the last one with the boss. It seemed like a fitting goodbye if that's the case. I mean where do you go after this? Plus after spending 3 games with some of these characters it was fun to see them gently caress around.

Ending talk That was the goofiest payoff to a missable joke I've ever seen.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MrTpug posted:

Speaking of YOU'VE GOT THE TOUCH I'm very conflicted on the usage of the song. Don't get me wrong I adore it. When SR3 had the Holding Out for a Hero playing during the final mission I thought nothing would top it...THE TOUCH has. However they play it on the radio station. An thus the conflict. While I went nuts the first time I heard it, which was coincidentally when I was battling my first warden. However the other side of me thinks if they had held THE TOUCH for the big reveal of the Power Armor it would have been twice as amazing. I dunno...I really don't know which would have been better. Either way, Great ending. Let the Saga end here. I don't have any idea how it could get better. A dance party ending is the perfect ending.

Holding Out for a Hero also plays on the radio in SR3.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
This is the best game about the power of friendship I've played all year.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

The "real" missions were kinda hit-or-miss.(I'm not counting any of the non-loyality side missions, since they were literally all "Do these activities") Some were kinda fun, but others were really stupid, tedious, and in some cases, a loving pain to do because of bad mechanics. The writing was also really bad in places.(In Kinzies' loyality mission the villain suddenly starts spouting sexist remarks because I guess the writers remembered that Kinzie really didn't have any reason to give a poo poo about that guy.) The story also had the most fan service I've ever seen in a recent game, and every other mission seemed to be a bad parody or reference to either something in the earlier games, other franchises, or something from popular culture.
While some people might enjoy that, it irked the poo poo out of me.

Kinzie doesn't hate Cyrus. She hates being ordered around, authority, and how patriarchal society is. It's her nightmare to be helpless and forced to follow orders, and Cyrus is the only figure in the game that fits in as an authority figure ( that we personally know of. ).

It could have just as easily been her boss from the FBI, or her dad or whoever.

Cyrus in 3 is not a misogynist. He respects Kia, and puts her in a position of power. So Simulation Cyrus is not pulling from the real Cyrus's views. It's a fake Cyrus that represents Kinzie's fears.

It's a similar situation with Asha and Evil Boss. She doesn't hate the Boss, or think he's evil. He's a representation of failure to her though, for various reasons.

Not going to argue the other points, because uh, sorry, that's how SR2 was to SR1, and how SR3 was to SR2, so maybe you should pick a different franchise to enjoy, but come on man. The themes of Saints Row are really loving simple. They spell them out as many times as they possibly can, and the writing is one of the best parts of the franchise because of how solid it is.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Rookersh posted:

[spoiler]
Not going to argue the other points, because uh, sorry, that's how SR2 was to SR1, and how SR3 was to SR2, so maybe you should pick a different franchise to enjoy, but come on man. The themes of Saints Row are really loving simple. They spell them out as many times as they possibly can, and the writing is one of the best parts of the franchise because of how solid it is.

I'm not sure I'd agree that the writing is solid, especially in this or SR3. SR2 is one of my top ten favourite games though, and I felt the writing in that was better than the later games.
SR3 and SR4 both seems to have switched to a much more "Random Monkey Cheese" sense of humour, with a good amount of references to back it up. I'm not much of a fan of that type of writing personally, but I'm sure others are. That said, the writing wasn't the part I was most disappointed in, although it wasn't as good as I had hoped.

Anyway, the reason I picked up SR4 was because I read a bunch of reviews that said it was better than SR3, so I took the chance. I got burned, but I can live with that. Not judging anyone for liking the game, as I also found it pretty fun for a while.

Zigoot
Jan 30, 2008

Its too late your money is gay now

Rookersh posted:

Kinzie doesn't hate Cyrus. She hates being ordered around, authority, and how patriarchal society is. It's her nightmare to be helpless and forced to follow orders, and Cyrus is the only figure in the game that fits in as an authority figure ( that we personally know of. ).

It could have just as easily been her boss from the FBI, or her dad or whoever.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Kinzie has also been established as having dabbled in being a dominatrix, so submitting to any authority, particularly male authority, would be especially awful for her. Its totally not about Cyrus and she frequently mentions that the simulation Cyrus is not at all similar to the real one.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Fraud has been around since SR1 as has Mayhem with restricting what weapons you can/can't use.
2 introduces the most new Activities only for most of them to get dropped the next game anyway, 4 comes second for adding new Activities.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Alright, the challenge: Fly for like a zillion loving hours. The solution: coffee mug on a bottle cap on my W, time to do somersaults for the rest of the evening :iamafag:

Broken Cog posted:

SR3 and SR4 both seems to have switched to a much more "Random Monkey Cheese" sense of humour, with a good amount of references to back it up.

What parts in this are you referring to, out of curiosity? I can't think of much off the top of my head that isn't somewhat contextual (though considering the context everything's pretty contextual) or a reference (What Is Love).

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I hope Volition decides to write some books because (ending spoilers) future Jane Austen sounds pretty great if she believes that any great second act begins with the building of a robot.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

There's only one line they could end the Saints Row franchise on, anyway. And they didn't do it here.

I'm wracking my brain and all I can think of is, "Puckish. Rogue." Is there something I'm missing from earlier games here?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Warmachine posted:

I'm wracking my brain and all I can think of is, "Puckish. Rogue." Is there something I'm missing from earlier games here?

gently caress you say?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Warmachine posted:

You DID do something with your hair!

Zigoot
Jan 30, 2008

WarLocke posted:

gently caress you say?

Has that line even been uttered in the last two games?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You mean SR2 and SR3?

Yes they do say gently caress you say. Haven't heard it in SR4 though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I bought both SR3 and SR4 at full price and honestly only regret the former.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Starhawk64 posted:

With the way the game takes place in a Matrix-simulation, it's kinda hard to determine what's a glitch and what's intentional.

I'm pretty sure that the entire game crashing at the very last part of the very last mission and locking my 360 controller into permanent vibrating mode wasn't intentional.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

What parts in this are you referring to, out of curiosity? I can't think of much off the top of my head that isn't somewhat contextual (though considering the context everything's pretty contextual) or a reference (What Is Love).

I guess the dancing in King's loyality mission is an example. You could probably say that is contextual, though.

Anyway, I'm finished with this game. All side activities and missions done, so It's not gonna bother me for long.

One last thing, though. I got stuck in the falling animation multiple times, including on the last boss. Is there any way to get out of that other than getting knocked down so you can use the "recover" button?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I find 4 a lot funnier than 3 but in both of them, the boss now the straight guy surrounded by the crazy people, while in 2 she was the chief crazy person. 2 matched the gameplay better since there's no way any NPC, either a Saint or anything else, is going to be as insane as the boss.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 25, 2013

Zigoot
Jan 30, 2008

Shindragon posted:

You mean SR2 and SR3?

Yes they do say gently caress you say. Haven't heard it in SR4 though.

I meant 3 and 4. Where was it said in 3? I played through a couple times and never saw it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

King Vidiot posted:

I'm pretty sure that the entire game crashing at the very last part of the very last mission and locking my 360 controller into permanent vibrating mode wasn't intentional.

Constantly vibrating 360 controller is part of the metagame dude.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Broken Cog posted:

thing, though. I got stuck in the falling animation multiple times, including on the last boss. Is there any way to get out of that other than getting knocked down so you can use the "recover" button?
That happened to me several times. Sometimes I got lucky and it worked itself out, but if you get trapped in that position? Footstomp, and pray you pop back out of the ground when you pass through it.

At least foostomp power is how I got out of it when I was in a position I couldn't collide with objects enough to jostle me loose. So I felt lucky it never stuck longer than a minute before I got that power.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I dunno, I kind of prefer SR3 to this in terms of music and story. The gameplay is better in SR4 though.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Common Sensei posted:

I meant 3 and 4. Where was it said in 3? I played through a couple times and never saw it.

Only Troy Baker's the Boss says it in 3. Someone might say it in 4 but I'm holding off on repeating the story until Mission Replay Mod.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
IS there a New Game+ that keeps all your poo poo from your previous playthroughs?

Because I want to tear rear end through the entire game with everything unlocked just for fun.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Broken Cog posted:

One last thing, though. I got stuck in the falling animation multiple times, including on the last boss. Is there any way to get out of that other than getting knocked down so you can use the "recover" button?

I don't know what you can do at the final boss fight, but otherwise just call up any sort of flying vehicle and you'll be warped on/into it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

YggiDee posted:

I don't know what you can do at the final boss fight, but otherwise just call up any sort of flying vehicle and you'll be warped on/into it.
If you have Stomp, doing that works too.

Achozen
Jun 28, 2007

I never asked for all that power.

Is there any way to remove a vehicle from your "garage"? I'm an idiot and accidentally saved the same vehicle three different times, so it's kinda bugging me.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

I honestly can't tell if this was intentional or not, but in one of the late missions where you're escaping in the Genki car and Zinyak falls from the sky and lands on the car at the end of the mission... When the car exploded, some debris landed right where the camera was pointing, then the camera spazzed a little bit and seemed to zoom in on one of the signs saying "Simulation Reboot Imminent" or whatever. Then the 'cutscene' ended and Zinyak was frozen in place mid-animation with Gat in front of him, the objective still said "Escape" or whatever it was before the cutscene and I had an 'execute' action appear for a split second when I got near Zinyak. But it was totally broken and I had to redo the mission from the last checkpoint. The sign thing seemed possibly intentional and part of the cutscene but it wasn't there the next time when it worked?

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

This is a dumb question but has anyone come across the Mixmaster cement mixer trucks? They were my ride of choice in SR2 & SR3 but I've been playing for a few hours and I haven't seen one yet.
I'll be quite disappointed if they've been removed :smith:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Longhaulers and Mixmasters are no longer in the vehicle table. :smith::respek::smith:

Achozen posted:

Is there any way to remove a vehicle from your "garage"? I'm an idiot and accidentally saved the same vehicle three different times, so it's kinda bugging me.

You can delete vehicles from garage and heliport at a Gateway, and from a garage at Rim Jobs. Garage and heliport share vehicle entries, and while reward vehicles can't be deleted, they also don't count against your vehicle cap.

EDIT: I don't know if the vehicle cap is still 64.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 25, 2013

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I finished up last night. Going through my stats, it says I only completed 6 of 7 loyalty missions, but I did every mission in the game, including side missions. What the hell?

edit: VVV
Matt
Shaundi (both of them :v: )
Pierce
Keith David
Kinzie
Asha
Gat

I'm on console (PS3) so I think the instances of things getting hosed up is much lower than PC

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 25, 2013

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Holy poo poo TK Mayhem is so easy if you just grab the ball and super speed with it into stuff. Finished all of them in like 15 seconds each.

SubponticatePoster posted:

I finished up last night. Going through my stats, it says I only completed 6 of 7 loyalty missions, but I did every mission in the game, including side missions. What the hell?

Mind listing off all the homies you can remember doing a loyalty mission with? Maybe it bugged out and never gave you one of them.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 25, 2013

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Achozen posted:

It drives me loving INSANE that you can't see the vehicles in the Phone a ride menu.

"Wait, which one of these is my X-2 Phantom I stole off a glitchy gang member and was allowed to customize. And which one of these is my X-2 Phantom the game handed me I'm NOT allowed to customize at all?" Also see "Wait this is the Sad Panda I'm not allowed to customize, not the Sad Panda I stole off the Genki Girls and pimped out".

Doesn't help it likes to sometimes reshuffle the order of some vehicles. It moved my customized bootleger halfway down the list between all the monster truck unlocks for example.

On "Where can I find this vehicle" chat, where do I find an APC or Turret armed Bulldog that I'm allowed to steal and save? The few times I've even seen them were in scripted events, and even the ones I could get in I couldn't save. Sure I beat the game, but I was looking for those to pimp out the whole time. There is that chrome APC unlock, but I can't customize that at all.

EDIt: If I had to pick the top two things that drove me crazy, it would be-
1: The mentioned "Phone for a vehicle doesn't show the vehicles" (If I missed the ability to rename vehicles like an idiot, I will slap myself).
2: The glitch digital effect on everything in a saint controlled zone extending to menus. "Okay, I'll Edit my car at the Gate or RimJobs... Oh, it is constantly getting a digital blur over it. gently caress".

Before I inevitably took over the whole place, I was going out of my way to do my car editing in areas I hadn't fully taken over just to avoid that.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 25, 2013

Achozen
Jun 28, 2007

I never asked for all that power.

You can delete vehicles from garage and heliport at a Gateway, and from a garage at Rim Jobs. Garage and heliport share vehicle entries, and while reward vehicles can't be deleted, they also don't count against your vehicle cap.

EDIT: I don't know if the vehicle cap is still 64.

...I beat the entire game and didn't even know you could use the gateways for more than just exiting the simulator (despite the very prominent "functions" prompt that I completely ignored somehow). Amazing. Anyway, thanks a bunch! :)

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

You know what'd improve this game immensely?

A Jane Austen homie. Either Jane herself or an AI construct of one of her characters.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Longhaulers and Mixmasters are no longer in the vehicle table. :smith::respek::smith:

Noooooooooooo :( I have no idea what vehicle to use now, Mixmaster was the best vehicle my boss used.

Godspeed my mighty steed.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
By the way, does Saint's Row 2 PC have native 360 pad support?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Republican Vampire posted:

You know what'd improve this game immensely?

A Jane Austen homie. Either Jane herself or an AI construct of one of her characters.

I guess the Boss is kind of like Mr. Darcy, so I could see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Samurai Sanders posted:

By the way, does Saint's Row 2 PC have native 360 pad support?

It does, but it's spotty and the button prompts don't always show up, but as always, Gentlemen of the Row fixes that.

• Locked thread