Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Speaking of the MUNI system, has it slowly improved over time? I know for a while it was down to under 10 miles an hour on average.

I do think one of the things that really hosed LA was they wouldn't even allow a fragment of the Red Car system to be retained. The MUNI system is only the most used parts of the Key System with some add ons, but it is far better than LA was stuck with which was literally zero. They even blocked up a subway tunnel in Downtown LA that predictably enough would have been something Downtown really needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belmont_Tunnel_/_Toluca_Substation_and_Yard

There really isn't an economic argument either for it because I am sure they would have at least retained some of the most popular lines even if they need some moderate subsidization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Thanatosian posted:

Honestly, I think building a house with a lawn in it in most of California is horribly irresponsible.

Such huge loving water issues, and developers just don't give a poo poo.

One of my former co-workers left the film industry and started growing strawberries over in east San Bernardino county. His family business [organic self pick berries] goes through about 30-40,000 gallons of water per month.

I wouldn't minding numbers on residential lawn/garden water usage vs agricultural / industrial use, because I'm willing to bet commercial water use is several magnitudes greater than residential, especially when it comes to waste.

So the guy who has a lawn in LA would be a drop in the bucket.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 23, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Geared Hub posted:

One of my former co-workers left the film industry and started growing strawberries over in east San Bernardino county. He family business [organic self pick berries] goes through about 30-40,000 gallons of water per month.

I wouldn't minding numbers on residential lawn/garden water usage vs agricultural / industrial use, because I'm willing to bet commercial water use is several magnitudes greater than residential, especially when it comes to waste.

I think I remember seeing a report about Nevada and how while Las Vegas uses a lot of water something like 75% of the water drain of the area was due to agriculture.

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

MI DIOS!!! ESTA CIENCIA ES DIABOLICO!!!

ProperGanderPusher posted:

The only worthwhile part is when you're at a station and a bunch of out-of-towners or super insulated suburbanites are loudly freaking out about how expensive tickets are because they think trains are for poors.

But yeah, I hope the Giants eventually move to the south bay so I can ride my public transportation in peace (on top of drinking everybody's tears as an As fan).

I must be one of the few people in the East Bay who doesn't buy into the Giants/A's cult. :(

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Geared Hub posted:

One of my former co-workers left the film industry and started growing strawberries over in east San Bernardino county. He family business [organic self pick berries] goes through about 30-40,000 gallons of water per month.

That isn't that bad...you'd be surprised how much water the avg house uses. I have gone over 20k gallons in a month before (July was 19k gallons) just keeping my lawns/plants alive during the summer (8k ft lot). It is hot as poo poo out here in Sacramento too like San Bernadino.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Another crappy Brown initiative that serves to funnel public money to private corporations--for the purpose of keeping the state's prison numbers up, and thus keeping the guards' union happy:

quote:

California Gov. Jerry Brown (D) has no intention of releasing state prisoners convicted of nonviolent drug offenses, despite a federal court order requiring the state to reduce its prison population by the end of the year, sources told HuffPost.

Instead, Brown and legislative leaders are discussing a proposal to create an unconventional partnership between the state's powerful prison guard union and the nation's largest private prison corporation -- an alliance that may permanently expand California's prison system while curbing nascent efforts to reduce the state's mass incarceration of nonviolent offenders.

Under the plan, one of several the governor has proposed in conversations with legislative leaders in recent weeks, [b\the for-profit prison giant Corrections Corporation of America would lease one or more of its prisons to the state, which would in turn use California prison guards and other public employees to staff the company’s facilities.

By transferring state prisoners to these privately owned structures, the state would have enough space to comply with an order by a panel of federal judges in 2009 that said overcrowded state prisons were jeopardizing the health and safety of inmates. The order, which the U.S. Supreme Court this month refused to review, requires the state to reduce the population of state prisons by about 10,000 inmates by Dec. 31.

Critics of Brown's proposal include prison reform advocates and champions of the state’s beleaguered social safety net programs, who may lose funding as state payments for the prison expansion rise. The governor’s proposals, which also include sending California inmates to out-of-state prisons and county jails, could cost the state $300 million to $800 million each year, by various estimates.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/22/jerry-brown-prisons-private_n_3799519.html

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Welp, for years I have been going to Camp Mather every year with my family and friends. Some wonderful memories of hiking ans swimming and laughter.

Looks like that is going to come to an end thanks to the Rim Fire, which is over 100,000 acres now, growing fast and zero percent contained. Given that terrain I don't see any way they will be able to slow it down until they get to the bare rocks near Toloumne Meadows.

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3660/

:smith:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Willa Rogers posted:

Another crappy Brown initiative that serves to funnel public money to private corporations--for the purpose of keeping the state's prison numbers up, and thus keeping the guards' union happy:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/22/jerry-brown-prisons-private_n_3799519.html

Color me shocked, the CA prison guard union continues to be quite literally the worst thing in all of CA.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

predicto posted:

Welp, for years I have been going to Camp Mather every year with my family and friends. Some wonderful memories of hiking ans swimming and laughter.

Looks like that is going to come to an end thanks to the Rim Fire, which is over 100,000 acres now, growing fast and zero percent contained. Given that terrain I don't see any way they will be able to slow it down until they get to the bare rocks near Toloumne Meadows.

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3660/

:smith:

I was really looking forward to the Strawberry Festival this year, it's a shame that the whole area is going up.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

Color me shocked, the CA prison guard union continues to be quite literally the worst thing in all of CA.

Brown's proposal is also a great example of how labor, at times, allows itself to be corrupted out of self-interest. And yah, the prison-guards union has never cared a whit for social justice or saving the state money.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Willa Rogers posted:

Brown's proposal is also a great example of how labor, at times, allows itself to be corrupted out of self-interest. And yah, the prison-guards union has never cared a whit for social justice or saving the state money.

Yeah the corrections union's awfulness has nothing to do with organized labor and everything to do with how awful capitalism is.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Senor Science posted:

I must be one of the few people in the East Bay who doesn't buy into the Giants/A's cult. :(

I live in the East Bay and don't give a poo poo about anybody's sportsball teams. Except when aforementioned sports fans cause congestion on the sidewalk/train/freeway. Then I'm just mad.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah the corrections union's awfulness has nothing to do with organized labor and everything to do with how awful capitalism is.

Well, yeah: But it's also an example of (one!) union's corruption out of self-interest, given the underlying rot of the system it's working within, and compared to other unions working within the same system.

I think we both agree that it's a rotten system and that the union itself is specifically corrupt. But it isn't the only union in the country to have allowed itself to co-opt labor's principles out of self-interest, and serves as an object lesson--not of labor itself, but what happens when a union goes bad within a corrupt system.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 23, 2013

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The prison guard union is a poster child for why public sector unions should be illegal.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

-Troika- posted:

The prison guard union is a poster child for why public sector unions should be illegal.

And the teachers' unions are a poster child for why they should be compulsory!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Banning public sector unions only works if you think that the public sector management has some incentive to not gently caress over employees for their own benefit (personal or professional) that doesn't exist in the private sector. Does anything think that a BART manager is more likely to see professional advancement/bonuses because they have the most fairly-compensated staff, or are they more likely to see professional advancement/bonuses because they got their staff budget down to record low levels?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Well Bob Filner is officially resigned as the mayor of San Diego, that's a victory for women's rights.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

Well Bob Filner is officially resigned as the mayor of San Diego, that's a victory for women's rights.

They had lots of rallies and also recall petition hand outs this week too in San Diego.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Except it sounds like they are going to pay his legal fees...which is kind of BS. The dude had no leverage- he was likely going to be recalled anyways.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

-Troika- posted:

The corrections officer union is a poster child for a lot of things, but an example of why every public sector union should be illegal is not one of them.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

The only worthwhile part is when you're at a station and a bunch of out-of-towners or super insulated suburbanites are loudly freaking out about how expensive tickets are because they think trains are for poors.

But yeah, I hope the Giants eventually move to the south bay so I can ride my public transportation in peace (on top of drinking everybody's tears as an As fan).
I remember the first time I bought a Cal-Train day pass for 18 dollars, I almost lost my poo poo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Glass of Milk posted:

Except it sounds like they are going to pay his legal fees...which is kind of BS. The dude had no leverage- he was likely going to be recalled anyways.

Yeah it was pretty much a negotiated resignation to avoid a drawn out and costly special election for the recall process.

So the City Council gets rid of Filner without a expensive special election but he gets a 98k package for all his legal fees.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A special election would certainly have cost more than that. But I assume another special election is needed to replace him, so...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

A special election would certainly have cost more than that. But I assume another special election is needed to replace him, so...

I suppose the bigger motivation was getting him quickly out of the limelight given the number of instances for things such as sexual harassment.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Brown's idea with expanding private prisons in the state sounds pretty abhorrent. To think I was actually considering voting for him again, too.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

cheese posted:

I remember the first time I bought a Cal-Train day pass for 18 dollars, I almost lost my poo poo.

I mean, don't get me wrong. Caltrain prices sure are some serious bullshit and if we were a halfway civilized country with decent funding for public transportation they would be at least half the price they are now. It's just funny in a very spiteful way to see a bunch of doofuses in stupid orange hats be introduced to the fun, wallet-emptying world of commuter trains.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

-Troika- posted:

The prison guard union is a poster child for the corrupting effects of perverse incentives in any context; no organization is immune, and it doesn't matter if it's labor or management.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^^^^
The prison guard union's power, which also represents parole agents, is also linked to our lazy rear end press. Have a prison question? Contact your source in the prisons system who is a member. They will always speak ill of something that reduces populations and for something that increases. There seems to be no questioning of their motivations. As far as I can tell, the vast majority of the California media has spoken to no one outside of the union and CDCR regarding AB109, which is the best thing to happen to CA criminal justice since prop 36.

Bizarro Watt posted:

Brown's idea with expanding private prisons in the state sounds pretty abhorrent. To think I was actually considering voting for him again, too.

Browns passage of AB109, which has basically made the vast majority of felonies county prison offenses and basically abolished our terrible parole system, counters this pretty well.
(Also don't believe poo poo you read about AB109. The prison union hates AB109 as it has led to massive CDCR layoff and they have been perpetuating massive lies about what it is and how it works. For example, there has not been a single early release from state prison due to AB109, yet it is almost always called an early release program by our press. If anything it doesn't far enough.).

Want to end prison over crowding? Making shoplifting (666 and 459) misdemeanors and make it retroactive. Do the same for simple possession.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 24, 2013

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
San Francisco Under Emergency As Fire Threatens Power, Water

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/08/24/215099616/san-francisco-under-emergency-as-fire-threatens-power-water

quote:

Brown said Bay Area utility officials have had to shut down transmission lines and that so far, the city has been able to keep the power on, even though further disruptions could change that.

He said the city's water supply could also be affected by the fire.

says San Francisco gets 85 percent of its water from the Yosemite-area Hetch Hetchy reservoir that is about 4 miles from the fire.

Meanwhile, the fire has been spreading for nearly a week and only a small fraction of it has been contained.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
And yet there is still a giant pipeline that sends the SF Bay to Los Angeles.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

I mean, don't get me wrong. Caltrain prices sure are some serious bullshit and if we were a halfway civilized country with decent funding for public transportation they would be at least half the price they are now. It's just funny in a very spiteful way to see a bunch of doofuses in stupid orange hats be introduced to the fun, wallet-emptying world of commuter trains.

Absolutely. I hadn't ridden BART up until a year ago, but I had used a lot of public transit in Berlin, Paris and Rome when I was studying abroad where tickets are $1 euro (or less with passes). So I was quite shocked that a roundtrip ticket costs me about $7.50. BART is still much cheaper than solo driving but drops off fast when you have more passengers but Caltrain seems pretty expensive.

By the way, I just learned this last week but you can deduct commuter costs from your paycheck pre-tax which can save you quite a lot if you are commuting every day :doh:. I spend about $160+ a month on BART which essentially translates to a savings of $450+ a year (depending on your bracket) if I was deducting it directly from my paycheck. If you bike you're able to deduct $20 a month as well and I know theres a couple options.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Xaris posted:

Absolutely. I hadn't ridden BART up until a year ago, but I had used a lot of public transit in Berlin, Paris and Rome when I was studying abroad where tickets are $1 euro (or less with passes). So I was quite shocked that a roundtrip ticket costs me about $7.50. BART is still much cheaper than solo driving but drops off fast when you have more passengers but Caltrain seems pretty expensive.
BART is a regional commuter train, it's not a municipal metro like SF Muni, the London Underground, or the Paris Metropolitain

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Miss-Bomarc posted:

And yet there is still a giant pipeline that sends the SF Bay to Los Angeles.

I've never understood why northern California people don't see the hypocrisy in being huffy about southern California importing their residential water.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dusseldorf posted:

I've never understood why northern California people don't see the hypocrisy in being huffy about southern California importing their residential water.

At least the water we import is from our half of the state :smug:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Dusseldorf posted:

I guess some people see a distinction between taking water that was going to empty into the SF bay anyway and taking it into SF, and piping water across several hundred miles of fairly arid land to feed a city built more or less in a desert?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, the Owens valley is claimed by the Riverside-Orange County faction of the state, so too bad.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I've never understood why the people of Santa Cruz are so against the plans to build a desalinization plant. It's safe and necessary, and yet plans to pursue it were dropped this week because people were so against it.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Best state? Isn't it prohibitively difficult to get a concealed carry license in California?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Protons posted:

Best state? Isn't it prohibitively difficult to get a concealed carry license in California?

Exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Also, :getout:

• Locked thread