Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Jamesman posted:

PewDiePie is legitimately one of the reasons why I have had a hard time getting back into doing LPs. I just look at him or others like him, and I feel so defeated. :(

Think of it this way, you have the privilege of being more talented than one of YouTube's biggest draws in history. You should take pride in that fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

DarkstarIV posted:

I'm sorry Lowtax but until you get listed on this page here, I can't acknowledge you as a REAL LPer. Get listed on this prestigious wiki below, and then we'll talk. :colbert:

http://letsplay.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_let%27s_players

There are people on there with zero videos. What the gently caress criteria is there for being on this list? Is it literally just "anyone who's enough of a loser to add themselves?"

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Sundowner posted:

Here are some of my favorites...

In defense of that guy, there was a large number of goons who liked him. The Let's Play SONIC megathread found him in their attempts to be relevant during the long moths in which Cybershell did nothing. It led to an "Appreciation Station". Dude might be a little bizarre, but there's some actual skill behind the videos, both in terms of not sucking at video games and knowing how to edit, and his commentary has a very bizarre yet endearing charm to it.

On the other hand, he almost never stops talking, has some weird fanfiction-y thing going on, and Cybershell was terrible at LPs outside of video editing.

y_3 posted:

He's not. You have to earn your place on this site that everyone's definitely heard of before.

Don't you know the rules, bro? The only LPs on the internet are on Youtube.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 24, 2013

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Taciturn Tactician posted:

There are people on there with zero videos. What the gently caress criteria is there for being on this list? Is it literally just "anyone who's enough of a loser to add themselves?"

It's a loving wikia for Let's Plays, so yes.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Requested_Username posted:

Hahaha slowbeef isn't even on the list, guess he's not notable enough for the prestigious official lets play wikia

Retsupurae is there at least though.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Like I said, youtube is the only place you can find LPs.

E: The only good advice on the website. Seems a bit limited, though:

http://letsplay.wikia.com/wiki/Games_You_Should_Not_LP

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 24, 2013

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Mr Tastee posted:

Like I said, youtube is the only place you can find LPs.

Isn't that essentially true now though? All the other notable video hosts shut down accounts that did LPs, so it's either YouTube or self-hosting your videos.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Screenshot LP's? Never heard of them! What's this "LP Archive" site? It doesn't have Pewdiepie on it, so it must be outdated.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Also, I need some confirmation: is it true that Shmorky is actually a living cartoon, like in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Mr Tastee posted:

Screenshot LP's? Never heard of them! What's this "LP Archive" site? It doesn't have Pewdiepie on it, so it must be outdated.

I thought we were talking strictly about current video LPs.

Mr Tastee posted:

Also, I need some confirmation: is it true that Shmorky is actually a living cartoon, like in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

He was a cartoon, but then he had sex with Gabriel Byrne and became real.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

tiistai posted:

Retsupurae is there at least though.

My favorite part of that is how short the entry on them is and that they just sort of allude to the fact that Slowbeef is responsible for the existence of VLPs in the first place. No big deal, nothin' to see here.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008

Mr Tastee posted:

If you thought this was funny the first time you read it, you're going to love the next million times someone posts the same exact thing in this thread and the video comments!

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
drat, that list has to be the biggest circle-jerk I have ever seen for Let's Players. Some of the descriptions for individual people is giving me information I never wanted to know.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Also 'Minecraft' is used to describe 116 different LPers in that list

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

ReturnOfFable posted:

drat, that list has to be the biggest circle-jerk I have ever seen for Let's Players. Some of the descriptions for individual people is giving me information I never wanted to know.

It's less like a circle jerk and more like a Craig's List full of "please bring meaning to my wasted life oh god" entries.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Experienced gamer with 100,000+ gamerscore

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Oh my god, just click on the Random Page button a few times; lots of these 32 subscriber LP superstars have their own full pages.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

My catchphrase is so different! I'm so different!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Some day I'll be popular enough to be on a list.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Lowtax posted:

You might already be on somebody's hitlist, so fame and fortune are already yours!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

y_3 posted:

Experienced gamer with 100,000+ gamerscore
Subscriber count: 0 and counting

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Lowtax posted:

What's your gamerscore?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I'm just baffled by how many lovely usernames there are in that list. Like, how the gently caress do you come up with DemonGamer1996, EPICWINfield's Let's Plays or Gamingbeast8830? Why are you content with such awful and lazy names? Why do you even want to refer to yourself in that way? What should that dumb name tell possible viewers? It just boggles my mind :psyduck:

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

It's a goddamned tragedy that Ulillillia didn't make it on the list. :colbert:

Mr Tastee posted:

In defense of that guy, there was a large number of goons who liked him. The Let's Play SONIC megathread found him in their attempts to be relevant during the long moths in which Cybershell did nothing. It led to an "Appreciation Station". Dude might be a little bizarre, but there's some actual skill behind the videos, both in terms of not sucking at video games and knowing how to edit, and his commentary has a very bizarre yet endearing charm to it.

On the other hand, he almost never stops talking, has some weird fanfiction-y thing going on, and Cybershell was terrible at LPs outside of video editing.

Don't you know the rules, bro? The only LPs on the internet are on Youtube.

SirRonLionHeart's legitimately kind of amazing. I would pay actual money to be as enthusiastic about anything as he is about video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaGB3axnf4o

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

y_3 posted:

What's your gamerscore?
Uh, I don't know, all of them?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Friends Are Evil posted:

It's a goddamned tragedy that Ulillillia didn't make it on the list. :colbert:

SirRonLionHeart's legitimately kind of amazing. I would pay actual money to be as enthusiastic about anything as he is about video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaGB3axnf4o

This is usually what I show people when I want to sell them on SirRonLionHeart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2yg0cC7P9w
(for those of you who are wondering, Episode I is just him thanking people for donations that let him get a new hard drive)

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Lowtax posted:

Uh, I don't know, all of them?

Nice. I think you could get on a list somewhere with that much score.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

This is usually what I show people when I want to sell them on SirRonLionHeart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2yg0cC7P9w
(for those of you who are wondering, Episode I is just him thanking people for donations that let him get a new hard drive)

Oh man, I forgot how he used Roman numerals for his episodes. Even in the LPs for super-long games, he would include them. It got to the point where the average person who knows jack poo poo about the higher numerals (me) had to go to the playlist to figure out what was going on.

Pity Boi posted:

If you thought this was funny the first time you read it, you're going to love the next million times someone posts the same exact thing in this thread and the video comments!

I'm sorry, I usually ignore the comments section outside of the top-rated ones.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008

Mr Tastee posted:

I'm sorry, I usually ignore the comments section outside of the top-rated ones.

That's, uh, probably for the best. I don't blame you.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I think my favorite description is the first one in the list of some schmuck named "Razordraac Gaming"

quote:

Following a rapid success in a Minecraft scam uncovering video, his channel views and subscribers have doubled over the course of a few weeks.

So what did this LP superstar's subscriber count explode to after this success?

32 :eek:

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

Gobblecoque posted:

So what did this LP superstar's subscriber count explode to after this success?

32 :eek:

I can't wait until I have literally tens of subscribers. Dream that American dream :911:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Every now and then I get a new subscriber or two on my channel and it makes me feel really :3:. However I know it really means gently caress all, it's just nice to have an audience.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'm impressed at how happy SirRonLionHeart is. I've scanned his LPs and in every game regardless of how boring it is he sounds like he is having the time of his life.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I can't fault the guy for having fun with his games/LPs but it's still so drat grating to listen to :\

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah, not my cup of tea but I can imagine enjoying his LPs.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I like listening to him when I need a little pick-me-up. He's not bad at all, though you have to be in the right mood for him.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Praise the Lord... the MEGA LORD (Part 1)!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpEsK7GWqts

Gum Drop
Aug 17, 2013

Competitive player of a dead game.
I love how the health bar doesn't scroll with the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

infinitycanvas posted:

I love how the health bar doesn't scroll with the screen.

I was about to post exactly that.
Literally that sentence.

• Locked thread