Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

C. Everett Koop posted:

Anyone else not get any unstable ISOs from visiting allies? It would be a very Playdom thing to let us collect the unstable ISOs outside of a SpecOps, but disable them while one's actually running.
Considering I was getting yellow ISO over week after the last spec ops ended, this is not surprising in the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Anyone else not get any unstable ISOs from visiting allies? It would be a very Playdom thing to let us collect the unstable ISOs outside of a SpecOps, but disable them while one's actually running.

I was just about to ask this. It may just be because the gifts are set at the beginning of the day, and spec ops was begun in the middle.

Oh hey, Vapor is pretty easy to take down with Magik.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

twistedmentat posted:

Ares is a Leifeld character right?
Marvel's Ares predates Rob Liefeld by a year or so and was an Avengers villain for about forty years.

(Source: Incredible Hercules circa #114)

In 2005 a miniseries made him interesting, and in 2009 another miniseries made him likeable, both collected in the Dark Avengers: Ares TPB. If you want to get Ares, read from here onwards.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Marvel's Ares predates Rob Liefeld by a year or so and was an Avengers villain for about forty years.

(Source: Incredible Hercules circa #114)

In 2005 a miniseries made him interesting, and in 2009 another miniseries made him likeable, both collected in the Dark Avengers: Ares TPB. If you want to get Ares, read from here onwards.

That was a joke about how he's got an axe and a machine gun, it seemed like something good old Rob would do.

Unstable ISOs are still not showing up when visiting friends though.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
On the plus side, it looks like Ares can be a team up for normal fights in mission 2.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Sorry if this has been gone over a million times before, but is there a major difference between attacking and defending in lower level PvP? I'm just trying to get my five wins out of the way each day as painlessly as possible so I can get that spin.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Devo posted:

Sorry if this has been gone over a million times before, but is there a major difference between attacking and defending in lower level PvP? I'm just trying to get my five wins out of the way each day as painlessly as possible so I can get that spin.

I haven't seen any. I've been knocked down into silver ranking every day because my defense loses over 150 each day. Then when I attack I tend to run into teams that destroy me more than I would think I would.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Devo posted:

Only your attacks will count for this. If you don't care about PVP at all then just choose a lovely defense team so you'll be ranked low and get easier opponents when you attack. However it is worth caring, even if only for the last few days, because with a little effort it's easy enough to get at least Gold.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Oh I think I totally misunderstood how PvP worked. So when I hit attack, I'm not actually playing against anyone? Just random person's defensive team that's close to my level. That makes a lot more sense now actually.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Devo posted:

Oh I think I totally misunderstood how PvP worked. So when I hit attack, I'm not actually playing against anyone? Just random person's defensive team that's close to my level. That makes a lot more sense now actually.

Yeah. When you're attacking, the other person is just the AI using someone else's team to defend.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah I was wondering how I lost points when I hadn't even played PvP today. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle :downs:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Opopanax posted:

Yeah. When you're attacking, the other person is just the AI using someone else's team to defend.

Considering I have a tendency to see that my opponent has all 3 of his characters take their turns after another, go to the fourms, and leave it sitting for 5 minutes or more would drive the live opponents nuts.

And I think its also based on level, so if you are a high level player, you will end up facing other high level people even if your rating is crummy.

Wow, Shatterstar is pretty good in pvp, his mirror images thingy goes off pretty much every time you try to attack him.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I don't think I'd get enough CP over the Spec Ops period to get Herc and Thor as well, so I may just save the CP for the next spec ops and work towards saving up the gold. Mind, I need 15 of that as well... urgh. I may have to fill in some surveys!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

It's 315 CP and there's no lockbox character, so skipping this one might be good. (although Herc and Shatterstar are required for Season 2, Ch. 1)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Seems odd that there's no lockbox hero and no group boss. Not that I miss Blackheart but :confused:

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

Seems odd that there's no lockbox hero and no group boss. Not that I miss Blackheart but :confused:

Same thing happened when the PVP that had Juggernaut as a lockbox hero overlapped with a SpecOps, as I recall. They're not going to have two lockbox heroes going at once.

I do miss having a group boss around, figuring out how to deal with each class was actually interesting. I went from getting like 20% off of Blackheart on average at the beginning of that SpecOps to 60-80% regularly at the end. Getting 200k silver or so per fight was nice, too :)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I do with shadowy lockboxes did drop from the Spec Ops though.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
12-2 is still the best place to grind CPs? I have Herc and Thor and 80 CPs so I will need to make a pushe this week to get Shitter Star is I am going to this spec op.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Kali11324 posted:

12-2 is still the best place to grind CPs? I have Herc and Thor and 80 CPs so I will need to make a pushe this week to get Shitter Star is I am going to this spec op.

Yes and no. If you're setup right, you can get to the boss spin in 1 Fight, and then the Epic spin in the 2nd fight.

In theory that can net you 15 CP's. In practice if you get 4 CP's, you're doing well.
Part of the problem is they've reduced the odds of getting CP's in 12-2's spins.

12-1, 12-3, 12-4 and 12-5 all have higher rates of getting CP's from the spin, but there is no epic spin.

My personal recommendation is to grind 12-2, and if you feel you're not getting much CP, try 12-1 instead.

The key to doing them in 1 action by and large is have an Infiltrator Agent with a Protect Weapon and the Sinister Scepter if he has it and a counter weapon. Then have the other characters just use a Revenge Strike on him, and let your Phased Hero tank and counter attack everything thrown his way. 'Tis boring, but the most effective way of getting through those missions on Heroic. (This strategy doesn't work as much on the other missions since they are full of Psycic/ AOE magic attacks.)

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
I saw someone do the math on it somewhere; even with the reduced odds, 12-2 is the highest average CP output- the epic spin still pushes the average above a normal boss spin with slightly better odds.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Sefer posted:

I saw someone do the math on it somewhere; even with the reduced odds, 12-2 is the highest average CP output- the epic spin still pushes the average above a normal boss spin with slightly better odds.

In theory and from a statistical point of view, yes it probably is still the best.

In practice, I got sick of doing it and just ending up with a Shwarma and the crappy Poision gun that vends for like 250 silver. I know that's true on every boss spin, but the fight against Viper I've done so many times it feels soul crushing.

That being said, Chapter 12 is by and large the best place to grind for XP to level up dudes.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Geeze, how many evil Hawkeyes does this game need?

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
The dialogues for SpecOps 12-2 establishes and cements the fact that 90 CP should always be spent on Hercules. I'll try to grab screencaps next time around.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
In my experience mission 12-2 is the most energy-efficient for farming, sure, but if energy isn't an issue, then 4-4 is more time and brainpower-efficient. I'm at level 135 and I'm still not at a point where running 12-2 is a better prospect than bulldozing through 4-4, wiping everyone out with area attacks while barely paying attention.

Of course, it's all a slog right now with Leethax still not working. :negative:

By the way, as much as I'm liking the Spec Ops right now, I'm a bit disappointed that it's all in Season 1 format, with the stars and all. At least one heroic battle would have been pretty cool. Ah, well, maybe next time.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Fred is on posted:

In my experience mission 12-2 is the most energy-efficient for farming, sure, but if energy isn't an issue, then 4-4 is more time and brainpower-efficient. I'm at level 135 and I'm still not at a point where running 12-2 is a better prospect than bulldozing through 4-4, wiping everyone out with area attacks while barely paying attention.

Of course, it's all a slog right now with Leethax still not working. :negative:

By the way, as much as I'm liking the Spec Ops right now, I'm a bit disappointed that it's all in Season 1 format, with the stars and all. At least one heroic battle would have been pretty cool. Ah, well, maybe next time.

Leethax is working for some people. When you hit the white page, let it sit for a few minutes.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Leethax is working for some people. When you hit the white page, let it sit for a few minutes.

Aha, it's working now! Thanks for the heads-up.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I managed to get it doing flight deck missions and haven't touched it for 18 hours for fear it would stop working. I was broke, man!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I wish the next chapter 2 mission was available, I started chapter 2-1 with just about 30 cps, and finished with well over 200. Though I have all the characters needed, it still gave out tons of CPs.

Can Hawkeye get his rapid fire from the stun arrow?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 26, 2013

Eddain
May 6, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I wish the next chapter 2 mission was available, I started chapter 2-1 with just about 30 cps, and finished with well over 200. Though I have all the characters needed, it still gave out tons of CPs.

Can Hawkeye get his rapid fire from the stun arrow?

Hawkeye can get Rapid Fire with any attack he does on any opponent that has been hit with Pinpoint. You can do Hawkeye's AOE attack and he can still trigger Rapid Fire (he'll only attack the enemy with Pinpoint, and I don't know how it works if multiple enemies have Pinpoint on them when Hawkeye does his AOE).

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

twistedmentat posted:

The downside to a Spec Op hitting like this is that now I'm not going to be expecting any more new content for about a month.

That said, I wasn't around when Season 1 missions were still rolling in. How long did it usually take for new chapters to go up?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Eddain posted:

Hawkeye can get Rapid Fire with any attack he does on any opponent that has been hit with Pinpoint. You can do Hawkeye's AOE attack and he can still trigger Rapid Fire (he'll only attack the enemy with Pinpoint, and I don't know how it works if multiple enemies have Pinpoint on them when Hawkeye does his AOE).

Awesome. I guess i've just not seen it happen with anything other than the basic attack.

Fred is on posted:

The downside to a Spec Op hitting like this is that now I'm not going to be expecting any more new content for about a month.

That said, I wasn't around when Season 1 missions were still rolling in. How long did it usually take for new chapters to go up?

I think when the game started up to chapter 4 was up, and they added the rest over time. I'm really hoping that when they release the rest of the chapter 2 content, it will be in a multi part update, not just one at a time.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Fred is on posted:

It was hit or miss, some came out in a month, others longer (I think Chapter 9 was "Coming Soon" for like 3 months or something ridiculous). If I had to guestimate, I'd say every six weeks or so for a new chapter: Playdom says they want content to come out faster but that remains to be seen

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I guess they have decided not to give ISOs via ally visits. That sucks, that means you can only be guaranteed 50 a day, that gave you a chance to get 100.

Ugh, is there a faster way to get the defeat Ares with a score of more than 60K+ than just doing it over and over?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 26, 2013

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I guess they have decided not to give ISOs via ally visits. That sucks, that means you can only be guaranteed 50 a day, that gave you a chance to get 100.

The sad thing is I doubt Playdom even intended to take them away. They just removed them when people started complaining about still getting them after the last Spec Ops ended. It's amazing how non-automated this stuff is for PD after 12 Spec Ops. Can't they just write some simple maintenance scripts?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

twistedmentat posted:

Ugh, is there a faster way to get the defeat Ares with a score of more than 60K+ than just doing it over and over?

Try doing all the deploys and fight him with the U-Foes.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

twistedmentat posted:

Don't worry about doing an extra run through, you're going to need to three star it anyway for mission 24.

Otherwise, just make sure that all the minibosses are present so you can threebird it and get way more points. If it gets tough, use some items. Using a few Chrono Boosts or what have you can really turn the tide of a battle.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bell_ posted:

Try doing all the deploys and fight him with the U-Foes.

Oh! Its do the mission, not just beat the boss for the score. I thought it was just beating the boss with that score.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

You have to get that score just from the boss fight itself, so if you do the deploys then that means you can save the minibosses and fight them in a three-bird battle with Area which gives you way more points.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah, just make sure to three bird it and bring someone that has a decent team up bonus with herc, it's not too hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

twistedmentat posted:

Is this official? Or just something they have to fix? If this is the case, I'm never going to get enough to do this spec ops.

• Locked thread