Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Park your chancellor on Rome?

Seriously, I find excommunication wars end before they begin most of the time, and remind me again the penalty for losing them? I'm pretty sure I had a game where I was just surrendering when they came up, but maybe it's changed and actually penalizes you somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Switch out of free investiture, educate your heirs yourself and make sure they get virtues (for the "church view on celibacy/kindness" etc. opinion bonus), kill the French king.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Is there any way that I can get rid of stressed? It seems nine times out of ten, once a character gets stressed he's stressed for life even if he's under the demnse limit, at peace, and everything is going well. <_<

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is there any way that I can get rid of stressed? It seems nine times out of ten, once a character gets stressed he's stressed for life even if he's under the demnse limit, at peace, and everything is going well. <_<

Go to the console and type "event 6041"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

Park your chancellor on Rome?

Seriously, I find excommunication wars end before they begin most of the time, and remind me again the penalty for losing them? I'm pretty sure I had a game where I was just surrendering when they came up, but maybe it's changed and actually penalizes you somehow.

Tried that. Even with both the chaplain and chancellor permantly on Rome, it can take a while for the relationship-boost events to fire, and it turns out that a year can be a long time to wait when 90K troops appear right on your border within weeks of the new Pope coming to power.

The penalty for losing excommunication wars is being forced to abdicate in favor of someone else. Whether that's a minor penalty or a major one depends on the state of your realm and your dynasty, I suppose.

Torrannor posted:

Switch out of free investiture, educate your heirs yourself and make sure they get virtues (for the "church view on celibacy/kindness" etc. opinion bonus), kill the French king.

If only killing the French king worked. I haven't killed one myself, but I've had to deal with two or three French kings in a row doing this poo poo; I'll probably have to take or vassalize the title to get them to cut it out. Apparently I've got enough French duchies that any and all French kings hate me forever, but I'm too powerful for them to go to war for it, so they just excommunicate me constantly.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Rincewind posted:

Let's say I wanted to play a CK2 game with an eye towards forming the Dutch Republic in an EU4 conversion of it. What's a good start?

The duchies of Holland or Friesland (or however they spell it) would be your best bet. I don't think their is an actual city/province of Amsterdam in the game, so if you want to start off as a count you'd have to start in the approximate geographical area and go from there.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Main Paineframe posted:

Is there any way to stop France from constantly excommunicating me at every opportunity, other than appointing an antipope or taking France for myself?

An antipope sounds like a pretty good idea. If you don't want to open up to the drawbacks (It's only a penalty to MA I think), you can press his claims on the Papacy and install him as a vassal Pope that can't act against you at all.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
You know, it's always funny checking back and seeing what my Vassals have been up to.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yeah, I've had some Lithuanian guy psychically propose and marry a Nubian chick too.

Is there a simple mod that manages to effectively split the Pagan group so it's not all one giant, happy, air travel-capable family? If Zoroastrianism gets its own religious group then I don't see why Aztec and West African shouldn't as well. Probably Tengri too, though at least they neighbour Slavs and Finns.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

NihilCredo posted:

Yeah, I've had some Lithuanian guy psychically propose and marry a Nubian chick too.

Is there a simple mod that manages to effectively split the Pagan group so it's not all one giant, happy, air travel-capable family? If Zoroastrianism gets its own religious group then I don't see why Aztec and West African shouldn't as well. Probably Tengri too, though at least they neighbour Slavs and Finns.

In my game, the county of Chester has been ruled for generations by Mandes, because I apparently had a Mande norse dude in my court for some reason. (Can the Eunuchs you get in events invite nobles of their culture to court? That is the only thing I can think of)

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Is there any way to force a crusade to end? My current king, when he was just my heir, got wrapped up in this never ending crusade shitfest that is basically Muslims and Christians going to town on the Aztecs in Spain. Worst part about it is that it's for Aquitane so I wouldn't get and land out of it anyway.

Now I'm wrapped up in a war that seems to not end despite the war score being 100% and Spain is just a cluster of occupied territories. Plus, since I'm stuck in this war some of my options for changing laws, etc are limited because I must be at peace to do anything.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

StrifeHira posted:

You know, it's always funny checking back and seeing what my Vassals have been up to.

My Ua Brian campaign is going pretty amusingly right now, previous king's wife died shortly after I pressed her claim on England and had the whole thing pass into my control, then I remarried an Ethiopian princess. King Brian had a ton of kids, so now King Tomas has replaced all the lovely resentful English dukes who kept declaring rebellions with his own grouchy Irish-Ethiopian half-brothers.

They don't seem to like him much and it's just as tenuous of a situation as before, but it definitely makes my subjugation of England feel more fun.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

De jure drift might be the worst thing in the entire world. Yes those are the de jure kingdom borders in my game

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know the exact conditions needed to form the Jomsvikings? I might be an idiot, but I can't really decipher what the settings text files are saying about it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

garth ferengi posted:

De jure drift might be the worst thing in the entire world. Yes those are the de jure kingdom borders in my game
IRELAND UBER ALLES

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

garth ferengi posted:

Disagreed. De Jure drift rules. If it helps, don't think of that stretch of (Mauretania? Andalusia?) that goes through France and Germany to be the parts of France and Germany they consider their own. They obviously consider it ALL their own. Just consider the splotches in the middle to be the sections of land that the cultural minorities will fight to the death to defend.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

IRELAND UBER ALLES

That's the Umayyad Sultanate.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

That's the Umayyad Sultanate.
I'm actually colorblind, it looks Ireland green to me v:shobon:v

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

I'm actually colorblind, is that not green?

It's an ever so slightly different shade.

edit- I do like the idea of Ireland completely ignoring Britain and going hogwild through Iberia and Africa though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Out of curiosity, how does one destabilise the Umayyads? Because in my game I'm the four province Kingdom of Navarra and right now they decided to rampage through Aquitaine. Asturias and Castille absolutely will not help me if they decide to roll on me, because they hate me. Should I be stabbing? For some reason I've been thinking that Muslim realms are stabler than Christian realms, am I wrong on that?

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

:ese: solves everything. With enough stabbings, they'll surely have a civil war.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

So I still want to take over Scotland by getting an elector title and being elected. I haven't managed to get a title in there yet. I did get one in Sweden, so okay, good practice!

I nominated myself and I'm going around bribing other Dukes so their opinion of me is 100, but nobody else is voting for me. I've never been at an election from this side before; is there something else I'm supposed to be doing to make them vote for me?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

So I still want to take over Scotland by getting an elector title and being elected. I haven't managed to get a title in there yet. I did get one in Sweden, so okay, good practice!

I nominated myself and I'm going around bribing other Dukes so their opinion of me is 100, but nobody else is voting for me. I've never been at an election from this side before; is there something else I'm supposed to be doing to make them vote for me?

I've never been in that situation, but I'm fairly certain that they don't vote for people outside the realm. Elector titles still pass claims down, don't they? Why don't you try pressing a claim instead?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
They do vote for people outside the realm, but are a lot less likely to do so. If the vassals dislike the king and his heirs, this improves your chances. Something you can do, if they all love one particular candidate and give him all their votes, and you have the second most votes by virtue of your vote for yourself you can try to kill the heir (either plots or diplo assassination), and when the heir dies you are automatically next in line because the others did not have time to vote for somebody else. In this situation you must diplo assassinate the king. Mission accomplished.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

CapnAndy posted:

I assume the rules for AI electors works the same for an AI-held title as it does for a player held one, which would mean that their votes would be weighted towards the ruler's chosen heir if the ruler is well-liked with a long reign. Even if you're not the candidate with the most votes, an assassination can cause chaos and swing favor in your direction. If you're trying to do it without stabbings, your best bet is probably hoping to outlive the ruler or hope he goes mad tyrant in his waning years to piss everyone else off.

Torrannor posted:

Something you can do, if they all love one particular candidate and give him all their votes, and you have the second most votes by virtue of your vote for yourself you can try to kill the heir (either plots or diplo assassination), and when the heir dies you are automatically next in line because the others did not have time to vote for somebody else. In this situation you must diplo assassinate the king. Mission accomplished.

I did this exact thing to gain Italy in my current game about 5 minutes ago.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
On top of the other stuff, you still get a Dispute Succession CB that lasts a few years if you're in the top 3 for most votes when a succession occurs, iirc. It's sort of like petite-pretender status. This path works well if you think you can muscle out a win.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As the Byz, I'm trying to eat the Kingdom of Bulgaria, but the one province at a time thing is too long. I've invited an 18 year old female with a strong claim on the Kingdom into my court. What needs to happen with her to get the Kingdom into the Byzantine Empire?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

KDdidit posted:

As the Byz, I'm trying to eat the Kingdom of Bulgaria, but the one province at a time thing is too long. I've invited an 18 year old female with a strong claim on the Kingdom into my court. What needs to happen with her to get the Kingdom into the Byzantine Empire?

Marry her or marry her to your heir.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

Dr. Tough posted:

Marry her or marry her to your heir.

Since Bulgaria's your de jure vassal, you should be able to press her claim directly and she'll become your vassal.

Lars Krimi
Jul 1, 2003
Even for titles that are not de jure vassals, you just need someone of your dynasty with a claim. If you invite someone with an inheritable claim, marry them to any fertile member of your dynasty (matrilineal marriage if the invited person is male). Their offspring will be of your dynasty, and when the holder of the claim dies, the child will inherit a weak claim. Pressing a claim for someone of your dynasty, even a newborn infant, makes them your vassal as well. Well timed assassinations greatly speed up this process. Only if the title is equal to or greater in rank compared to your own do you need to worry about the inheritance of the title itself.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'd there a straightforward way to have the Aztecs spawn with reformed Mesoamerican religion? I don't want them converting to Catholicism or Islam.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
Played my first Old Gods game today... Norse really can get pretty ridiculous. I'm two generations in, going from minor petty king to emperor. Next task is to finally put a norseman back on the British thrones

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

I just wanted an interesting game to convert :negative:

It's only 1324.

Highlights: The Arabian Empire was formed by the Ilkhanate after they converted to Catholicism(despite it being an Orthodox heresy at this point) and is/was the sole Catholic ruler left. English culture became a thing despite the isles being firmly under the thumb of Scandinavians and Anglo-saxons(who are all Norse of course), and that big tan blob in Russia and the baltics and Finland is a Norse Merchant Republic(and yes that's a completely independent Norse Kiev in the middle of the Golden Horde as well).

I haven't even been playing anyone for about 200 years.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I came back to this game after a long hiatus and started up my standard 'learn the ropes' Wales game, with the objective of turfing out the English/Normans and restoring Britain to the original British. Got Wales united, got Cornwall, and somehow my guy had a weak claim on the English throne but no way was I ready to press that.

Then, all of a sudden I get a message that a faction has formed: "King Io (that's me) for England'. Click OK.

Literally instantly:

'King Io of Wales has usurped the Kingdom of England from Roger Duke of Bedford.'

...and it's all mine. I did absolutely nothing. The vassals don't even seem to hate me too much.

I feel strangely let down.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Does the Europa Universalis IV converter work with any save? I'm playing as the Republic of Pisa and I would like to keep playing as it in EUIV. Also, do I have to be at the end date or can it be converted at any time?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

If you did that West African pagans would have to just keep inviting debutantes as there isn't a lot of them.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Playing as Jewish shows you how fun THAT is.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah, a lot of the places at the margins are really underpopulated, it's a real pain in CK2+ with the limits it places on spawning courtiers. Playing Abyssinia there are about two eligible women in the whole kingdom at the start of the game.

Enrico Dandolo
Aug 6, 2010

radlum posted:

Does the Europa Universalis IV converter work with any save? I'm playing as the Republic of Pisa and I would like to keep playing as it in EUIV. Also, do I have to be at the end date or can it be converted at any time?

Can be converted any time, doesn't have to be at the end date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Geokinesis posted:

If you did that West African pagans would have to just keep inviting debutantes as there isn't a lot of them.

Lareine posted:

Playing as Jewish shows you how fun THAT is.

marktheando posted:

Yeah, a lot of the places at the margins are really underpopulated, it's a real pain in CK2+ with the limits it places on spawning courtiers. Playing Abyssinia there are about two eligible women in the whole kingdom at the start of the game.

The most straightforward solution that comes to mind is to add an event that spawns a bunch of extra lowborn courtiers in random courts for underpopulated cultures/religions (in game terms not because there's more of them, but because with fewer options a ruler would have to be more willing to marry commoners). One problem - is there a variable or function that allows you to easily count how many provinces there are of a given culture/religion? I didn't see anything on ckiiwiki that seemed to work.

• Locked thread