Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Clocks posted:

So I'm not a big anime watcher but I know there are some great anime shows out there. I guess I have been fairly mainstream. I'll name some of the ones I've enjoyed and hopefully there are either similar anime or other simply great anime someone can recommend me.

I'm watching Attack on Titan now and I find it probably one of the best anime I've seen (out of, I guess around 10, so I don't know what that's saying). Seriously though, I can't get enough and I'm sad that I found out about it while it's still ongoing because I have to wait for each episode to come out. I enjoyed SAO and I also really loved Madoka Magica. Other than that I've seen Death Note (it really fell apart after the midway part but way back when I watched it, the first half was decent) and Code Geass (which was all right in some ways, boring in others). I've also seen basically most of Studio Ghibli's films and they are pretty drat awesome.

So I guess while I lean towards stuff that is somewhat more action-y I would love to hear of any other really well-lauded anime that seem like they'd fit in with the above. Thanks in advance!

Watch Baccano!, it's action-y and amazing.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've never played the Steins;Gate game and I generally agree with your assessment of VN adaptations.

As a giant nerd who plays VNs, the Steins;Gate anime is actually better then the game, in my opinion. Mainly because most Visual Novels desperately need an editor, and paring the series down to the 24 episodes serves basically does just that.

If you don't like it though, you don't like it, good adaptation or no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Clocks posted:

So I guess while I lean towards stuff that is somewhat more action-y I would love to hear of any other really well-lauded anime that seem like they'd fit in with the above. Thanks in advance!

If you like action, check out Fate/Zero and Black Lagoon.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Srice posted:

The ADTRWiki has a section that would really help you out.

http://www.adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=New%3F

Well oops. I'm so sorry everyone. This kind of thing was in the first post. I had browsed this thread earlier and figured it'd be a good place to ask for recommendations later, and conveniently forgot to look at the OP again before posting. :negative:

That said, I will check out Black Lagoon/ Baccano!/ Fate/Zero to start and move to the other ones listed on that site given the responses. Thanks for dealing with people like me!

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Clocks posted:

Well oops. I'm so sorry everyone. This kind of thing was in the first post. I had browsed this thread earlier and figured it'd be a good place to ask for recommendations later, and conveniently forgot to look at the OP again before posting. :negative:

That said, I will check out Black Lagoon/ Baccano!/ Fate/Zero to start and move to the other ones listed on that site given the responses. Thanks for dealing with people like me!

ADTRW Wiki is definitely a good place to start, but you might want to consider branching out from action-y shows into other genres. There's something for just about everyone when it comes to anime, in all sorts of genres.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clocks posted:

Just an FYI, I can't speak for Black Lagoon, but Baccano has a huge cast and Fate/Zero spends it's first episode (which is 40 minutes long) doing nothing but setting up it's, well, setting. It's neat world building but if info dumps bug you then beware. There's literally a 3 minute scene where two characters walk in circles around a third character dumping knowledge on him.

They're both still great shows but they have flaws, and if those flaws are the types of things that are generally deal breakers for you then fair warning. And if you liked Sword Art Online, Accel World might appeal to you. I haven't seen Accel World myself but it's an anime adaptation of a novel written by the same guy who wrote the original SAO novels, and it has a similar MMO based premise.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

So, I tried out Steins;Gate after seeing it mentioned so often here. I'm not impressed after 4 episodes. I love the idea of the time traveling text messages, the references to John Titor, the idea of an amateur mad scientist, but...I don't actually enjoy watching it. The side characters all seem to be 'wacky' caricatures and there's no sense of narrative movement. I'm finding the scenes with Shiina almost unbearable due to the combination of her VA (in both English and Japanese) and her irritating preciousness - I stopped watching in disgust at the bit in episode 4 when she's trying to 'shake hands with the stars' or whatever. Daru and Makise seem OK by comparison. I'm going to give it another episode and if it doesn't improve drastically, I'll consider it validation of my tendency not to watch shows based on computer games.

The first several episodes are very slow in pace. But I don't really get why you aren't enjoying it because I still found it more entertaining than the majority of things I've watched.

Where the show really hits its stride is when the conflict starts to become visible. The show isn't just Okabe jovially loving around with time travel for fun and games while while being a pompous egocentric to the people around him. In fact he has some of the best character development I've ever seen and is one of the best written characters out there.

Episode 7 is when things start to pick up. And then it picks up fast.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Eh I really didn't care for Steins;Gate at all early on, hated the characters until it started getting into the meat of the plot and I started to see more of Okabe. The early part of the show is why I find poo poo like the *monogatari series completely unwatchable. Loved it by the end of the show though, and the extra episode in America ruled, but it definitely took some time to shine for me anyway.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Clocks posted:

So I'm not a big anime watcher but I know there are some great anime shows out there. I guess I have been fairly mainstream. I'll name some of the ones I've enjoyed and hopefully there are either similar anime or other simply great anime someone can recommend me.

I'm watching Attack on Titan now and I find it probably one of the best anime I've seen (out of, I guess around 10, so I don't know what that's saying). Seriously though, I can't get enough and I'm sad that I found out about it while it's still ongoing because I have to wait for each episode to come out. I enjoyed SAO and I also really loved Madoka Magica. Other than that I've seen Death Note (it really fell apart after the midway part but way back when I watched it, the first half was decent) and Code Geass (which was all right in some ways, boring in others). I've also seen basically most of Studio Ghibli's films and they are pretty drat awesome.

I'm gonna suggest Tiger and Bunny, Japan's take on western superhero action. It is excessively good.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood would also probably tickle your fancy, as would Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2012.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Nipponophile posted:

Dude thought Gurren Lagaan was too wacky, and you're recommending FLCL?

Honestly, do you people even read the original request for recommendations, or do you just parrot your favorite shows every time someone asks?

Anyhow, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and Baccano! are all good recommendations. I'd add Monster if you can find it. It's a very atmospheric mystery-adventure with solid writing aimed squarely at adults.

Wow thanks a lot everyone for your recommendations, drat you guys put effort into this.

I'm watching Attack on the Titans, and its a really cool and good show. I will watch the rest of these though

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A friend of mine sold me the first 12 volumes of Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei for essentially nothing a while ago and I forgot them until I found them in a box today. I thought that might be the entire series, but looking online, it seems there's 30 volumes in total! I remember hearing a lot of hubbub about it(rather, the anime, I believe), but is the entire manga worth reading, or should I just watch the anime? Does it peter off or is it strong for the entire run? Most series can't keep it going forever, and 300 or so chapters is a pretty hefty length, so I'm curious whether it falls victim to status quo hell or not.

Speaking of series that peter out, I read Hetakoi on a Steam friend's suggestion after he saw I'd "thrown it into a fire". I remember someone a while ago saying not to read it because it's crappy harem and infuriating or something, but there's zero harem and it's decent for the first half of it with some good twists and ~romance drama antics~, before getting mired in indecision for the entire second half after Komai breaks up with his girlfriend and then it flounders for the last ten chapters or so before finishing blandly. Kind of a shame, aside from cheesecake intro pages, it kept the sex surprisingly minimal, sometimes going for six or more chapters without any major nudity. I expected it'd have way more based on the premise(guy accidentally finds a passed-out drunk girl spread-eagle at a hot spring and surprise, she's a classmate!) but instead it's a decent romance(until it turns into a slog) and even the premise winds up being used as a pretty great gag much later. So in summary, starts strong, ends with a whimper like 20+ chapters past where it should have ended.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
To be fair, I usually compare a lot of shonen/seinen romance to Maison Ikkoku, since most shonen/seinen romance tend to crib from that to a fair degree. That and I was probably got very annoyed when it went the route of him misunderstanding a scene, therefore he gets together with another girl on the rebound. Well, misunderstandings is a common cliche in the genre anyways. I still think Hetakoi is pretty forgettable though.

In case you're curious, I did read all the way up to the latest issue of Dengeki Daisy, so I can make an addendum to my original post. Ironically, right after I made that post, the heroine finally started gaining some agency in the story rather than being saved all the time. Most of my old opinion still stands though, it's a pretty standard shojo between a 25 year old dude and a 16 year old girl, with the gimmick of hacker spy wars going on in the background connected to the dude's tragic hacking past. So there's a slight genre shift once they delve into the hacking stuff and other factions pop up, though the relationship between the two is still the main focus. She still needs to be saved occasionally though, since she usually ends up targeted all the time. I'd still say there's better series worth reading though.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Captain Invictus posted:

A friend of mine sold me the first 12 volumes of Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei for essentially nothing a while ago and I forgot them until I found them in a box today. I thought that might be the entire series, but looking online, it seems there's 30 volumes in total! I remember hearing a lot of hubbub about it(rather, the anime, I believe), but is the entire manga worth reading, or should I just watch the anime? Does it peter off or is it strong for the entire run? Most series can't keep it going forever, and 300 or so chapters is a pretty hefty length, so I'm curious whether it falls victim to status quo hell or not.

SZS is a gag manga, there's never much of a change in the status quo other than introducing new characters. I would say that the anime is overall better because it has a lot of Shaft just screwing around. There's episodes with things like experimenting with different art/animation styles, changing all of the lines to gibberish and "subtitling" the show by completely changing the plot of one chapter from "Admiral Perry opens everything in the school" to "Goku turns the school upside down looking for Dragonballs", switching everyone's VAs around multiple times, etc.

Watch the anime then read the last ten chapters of the manga for the amazing ending twist. Read the rest of the manga if you really liked the anime (the anime stops around where Chiri's sister is introduced, although it doesn't adapt every chapter in a linear order so there may be some missing chapters).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Allarion posted:

To be fair, I usually compare a lot of shonen/seinen romance to Maison Ikkoku, since most shonen/seinen romance tend to crib from that to a fair degree. That and I was probably got very annoyed when it went the route of him misunderstanding a scene, therefore he gets together with another girl on the rebound. Well, misunderstandings is a common cliche in the genre anyways. I still think Hetakoi is pretty forgettable though.
Ohhhh wait, you said Nisekoi was the harem thing, not Hetakoi. drat similar names. :v:

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

So I'm watching this show called Another, where the basic idea behind this is that there is this curse around this middle school that started up by the death of one student about twenty-six years before the first episode, and there's been a random amount of people dying all throughout the years, and they figure out a way to stop it for a while, until the main character, a transfer student from Tokyo, comes in and fucks everything up.

My question is, why the hell hasn't this school been shut the gently caress down? I'm only about seven episodes in so far and it seems like, after the seventh or eighth death in one week, the whole place should have been shut down and condemned. That seems like a great way to end a curse right there, don't you think?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Thunderfinger posted:

My question is, why the hell hasn't this school been shut the gently caress down? I'm only about seven episodes in so far and it seems like, after the seventh or eighth death in one week, the whole place should have been shut down and condemned. That seems like a great way to end a curse right there, don't you think?
Because "there's a cursed classroom causing all those students to die in accidents" is not a reason commonly accepted by governmental entities who would be responsible for shutting down schools.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Well ok, fair enough. But still, you think someone would have thought that this was all a little suspicious and tried to take some initiative to figure it all out, outside of the main characters I mean.

Vaxan
Dec 25, 2010
I recently watched Seirei no Moribito on the recommendation of one of my friends. I normally don't watch anime, but watching that reminded me that there are some good anime out there.

I would like to avoid fan service, excessive monologues, power creep/rear end-pulling, no character development or resetting characters after their development.

Anime that I enjoyed watching :
    - Code Geass - even though it had a lot of my pet peeves
    - Seirei no Moribito. This is honestly my favorite that I have watched so far
    - Trigun
    - Rurouni Kenshin and the OVAs
    - Outlaw Star
    - Full Metal Alchemist. I haven't watched Brotherhood
    - Legends of the Galactic Heroes.
    - Prince of Tennis. My guilty pleasure
    - Free! - A guilty pleasure that I got from browsing this forum
Anime that I disliked:
    - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    - Neon Genesis Evangelion
    - Fate/Stay Night
    - Love Hina
    - Ranma
    - Mahou Sensei Negima
I haven't watched any of the Gundam series, are they any good or alternatively which one would you recommend?

I haven't watched any of the popular animated movies either, so how good are Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle?

Looking at the wiki would you recommend Cowboy Bebop and Black Lagoon to me?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cowboy Bebop: Yes, though keep in mind it has a lot of... not exactly 'filler' episodes, but episodes that have nothing to do with the main plot. Sometimes they develop characters, sometimes they set up parallels and themes for the actual plot-based episodes, but there are a couple of them that are just completely tangential.

I'd also recommend Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, though the earlier episodes of it have really, really fast pacing, since they're going through mostly the same ground that the 2003 anime covered. Once it gets to the manga stuff, though, it's amazing.

A lot of people might recommend Fate/Zero, but I actually personally wouldn't, mostly due to your 'excessive monologues' clause. Dudes in that show love just going on about whatever strikes them.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Endorph posted:

Cowboy Bebop: Yes, though keep in mind it has a lot of... not exactly 'filler' episodes, but episodes that have nothing to do with the main plot. Sometimes they develop characters, sometimes they set up parallels and themes for the actual plot-based episodes, but there are a couple of them that are just completely tangential.

These are coincidentally the best episodes. Cowboy bebop is the best anime ever made, get on that

Holy gently caress dude all the ghibli movies are so good, get on that. Princess Mononoke and Spirited away are easily the best two Ghibli movies, and two of the greatest animated films ever made. Spirited away is the only foreign film to ever be nominated for animated picture of the year ( I know academy awards are bullshit, but still).

Black lagoon is also pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKwaPSkjXp0

I know Im an rear end in a top hat who says to watch everything dubbed but especially watch all this poo poo dubbed. They all have some of the absolute best ever.

For gundam poo poo check out War in the Pocket and 8th MS team. They're both mini-series and they're both super duper good, head and shoulders above most full gundam series. 8th MS team also has one of the most amazingly animated fight sequences ever.

Vaxan
Dec 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

I'd also recommend Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, though the earlier episodes of it have really, really fast pacing, since they're going through mostly the same ground that the 2003 anime covered. Once it gets to the manga stuff, though, it's amazing.

A lot of people might recommend Fate/Zero, but I actually personally wouldn't, mostly due to your 'excessive monologues' clause. Dudes in that show love just going on about whatever strikes them.

Cool, thanks. If the only problem with Fate/Zero is the excessive monologues then I probably can easily watch it. It's really only when that is combined with another annoying factor that makes it not watchable.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

These are coincidentally the best episodes. Cowboy bebop is the best anime ever made, get on that

Holy gently caress dude all the ghibli movies are so good, get on that. Princess Mononoke and Spirited away are easily the best two Ghibli movies, and two of the greatest animated films ever made. Spirited away is the only foreign film to ever be nominated for animated picture of the year ( I know academy awards are bullshit, but still).

Black lagoon is also pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKwaPSkjXp0

I know Im an rear end in a top hat who says to watch everything dubbed but especially watch all this poo poo dubbed. They all have some of the absolute best ever.

For gundam poo poo check out War in the Pocket and 8th MS team. They're both mini-series and they're both super duper good, head and shoulders above most full gundam series. 8th MS team also has one of the most amazingly animated fight sequences ever.

I'll definitely check out the Ghibli movies then, thanks.

Black Lagoon looks pretty good from that and a couple promo vids. Besides Black Lagoon are there any series that are better dubbed than subbed?

Thanks for the recommendations, should keep me busy for awhile.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

The Panty, Stocking, and Garterbelt dub is pretty amazing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DerLeo posted:

I hate dubs, they sound cheap and tacky and it constantly seems like there are only 5 VAs in the whole industry.

I not only recommend the Panty and Stocking dub to people who've already seen it in Japanese, I'd be hard pressed to pick one version or the other if you were only going to watch it once.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Baccano! has a great dub and is also a show you should watch. It's set in 1930's America and the dub really goes the extra mile to make sure the character's accents and slang are appropriate to the time and place.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

DerLeo posted:

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Baccano! has a great dub and is also a show you should watch. It's set in 1930's America and the dub really goes the extra mile to make sure the character's accents and slang are appropriate to the time and place.

Thirded and Seconded. I also submit Ghost in the Shell and Samurai Champloo, which are other good shows you should check out Vaxan.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Big O has a pretty fantastic dub and is literally Batman With Mecha.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cowboy Bebop, to mention it again, has an amazing dub.

Like I've said before though, just about any recent show is going to have at least a decent dub. If you prefer dubs, you can watch most stuff dubbed and be satisfied. Cowboy Bebop sticks out in people's minds because it came out at a time when dubs were still mostly mediocre at best, and even the ones with good voice actors censored and edited a lot of stuff.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 24, 2013

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Not strictly an Anime, but I've started watching these little Disney Channel JP shorts called Fireball Charming.

It's obtuse humour with a robot heiress (I call her Robojou-sama, because I am a huge weeaboo) and her enormous, clunky, industrial robot butler. They're very short, disjointed comedy bits that are well animated and charming.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Kokoro Wish posted:

Not strictly an Anime, but I've started watching these little Disney Channel JP shorts called Fireball Charming.

It's obtuse humour with a robot heiress (I call her Robojou-sama, because I am a huge weeaboo) and her enormous, clunky, industrial robot butler. They're very short, disjointed comedy bits that are well animated and charming.

It's decidedly anime (anime doesn't have to be drawn) and i think we even had a thread for it at some point. Probably when it was airing.

Why can't we search the archives? Argh.

Anyways, here's the thread link if you have archives: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3387622

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Fireball Charming is the followup to Fireball, which is pretty entertaining in its own right. I never got around to watching Charming but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the jokes are callbacks.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Is Scrapped Princess any good?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Been years since I watched it, but I remember it being a fairly fun fantasy adventure, though for most people the (spoiler is very non-specific but just in case) huge twist near the end either makes or breaks it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kokoro Wish posted:

Both Fireball-Charming and the first season are a lot of fun for just being some silly, pun-filled shorts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQzI3sz83FY&feature=youtu.be

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Vaxan posted:

I recently watched Seirei no Moribito on the recommendation of one of my friends. I normally don't watch anime, but watching that reminded me that there are some good anime out there.

In addition to what everybody else has said I'd like to recommend a few more.

Tiger&Bunny. Fun, great show with a unique take on western superheroes and avoids all the disqualifiers on your list. It's a big favorite here on ADTRW for a reason.

Chihayafuru. Has monologues in it, but is otherwise a beautiful well done sports show, perhaps the best out there. All the characters develop magnificently too. It's a bit of a long one with two season to make up around fifty episodes, but it shouldn't be a big turn off.

And since you seem to like cute boys doing cute things try Tsuritama. It's about a group of boys and fishing, and is short but sweet.

Aside from studio Ghibi films, any films directed Mamoru Hosoda is also worth seeing.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Vaxan posted:

I would like to avoid fan service, excessive monologues, power creep/rear end-pulling, no character development or resetting characters after their development.
An obligatory recommendation for Time of Eve. It's probably my favourite anime because it avoids just about all of the shite that puts me off other animes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Fireball Charming is the followup to Fireball, which is pretty entertaining in its own right. I never got around to watching Charming but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the jokes are callbacks.

Fireball Charming's actually a prequel to Fireball - the dates are earlier by about 400 years :eng101:. Also nth'ing that they're very funny little shorts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Is Scrapped Princess any good?

It is pretty fun, yeah. It's not top-tier stuff, but it's above-average. Like the guy above said, the plot twist may be a make-or-break moment for you, but I felt it was a good show.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Vaxan posted:

Black Lagoon looks pretty good from that and a couple promo vids. Besides Black Lagoon are there any series that are better dubbed than subbed?

Gungrave had a really good dub, if I'm remembering the right thing from when I watched it like 6 years ago.

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013
I really enjoyed the likes of Kaiji, One Outs, Code Geass, Death Note and that kind of "I knew you knew I knew" drama. Are there any more escalating stakes, anime genius versus everyone shows I'm missing out on?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Carborundum posted:

I really enjoyed the likes of Kaiji, One Outs, Code Geass, Death Note and that kind of "I knew you knew I knew" drama. Are there any more escalating stakes, anime genius versus everyone shows I'm missing out on?

Not an anime, but read the Liar Game manga if you haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'd like to thank this thread for telling me to watch Legend of Galactic Heroes. I'd been meaning to, and now that I'm about a dozen episodes in, I'm finding it most satisfactory.

• Locked thread