Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

P4:A had a storyline that takes place after the Golden Epilogue, even though Kanji is blonde, and this looks like it may look like a sequel to P4:A, or they could just shoehorn in the Junpei/Yukkari storyline into the P4:A story.

No it doesn't. It takes place between the true ending and the Golden Epilogue, and it's [Arena] what Yosuke's referring to when he says "things got kinda nuts when you visited in May."

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Since this is basically the Persona series thread, A sequel to Persona 4: Arena was announced today.. They're adding in Junpei and Yukari from Persona 3.

Location testing is running in Japan from Aug 16-Aug 18, which means that they're really far along in development.
Can't wait to play this in Europe in like 7 years. :sigh:

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Shadow Junpei is terrifying. :stonk:

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Parker Lewis posted:

OK, I wasn't sure if playing on Normal+ difficulty forced you to take things a few floors at a time, which seems like it would do a better job of mixing up social time vs. dungeon time.

I haven't started getting those types of quests yet but that's good to know, thanks.

First couple of months chars get tired really quickly so you have no choice but to spend a few nights on these. It gets easier later on.

On P4A, I bet it's their P4A Ultimate edition with few new chars throw in. Although if they have Dojima, then Day 1!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

oblomov posted:

Although if they have Dojima, then Day 1!

Or if it it's region locked and you live in the EU, Day ~270.

Yes, I am bitter.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
So I've ploughed a fair few hours into this now (just started May) and I'm having a blast. The whole feel of the game oozes quality and I'm pleased to say I'm totally hooked! A lot of the mechanics took me a little while to get my head around but a bit of trial and error has set me mostly straight.

One thing I'm really stumped on though are accessories (like the ones you buy from the guy in the metalworks), they don't seem to have any numbered stats like weapons and armour do. How are you supposed to know if an accessory is an upgrade over another or am I just missing something entirely?

TheWorstAtWords
May 27, 2012

AOTKPTW posted:

So I've ploughed a fair few hours into this now (just started May) and I'm having a blast. The whole feel of the game oozes quality and I'm pleased to say I'm totally hooked! A lot of the mechanics took me a little while to get my head around but a bit of trial and error has set me mostly straight.

One thing I'm really stumped on though are accessories (like the ones you buy from the guy in the metalworks), they don't seem to have any numbered stats like weapons and armour do. How are you supposed to know if an accessory is an upgrade over another or am I just missing something entirely?

It's been awhile so my memory's fuzzy, but most of the accessories don't provide straight stat boosts like armor and weapons. They usually provide a secondary effect, like the Dodge/Evade skills or boosts to attacks of a certain element. The only ones that give stat boosts provide a percentage of your stat, which I don't believe is reflected on the status screen.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

TheWorstAtWords posted:

It's been awhile so my memory's fuzzy, but most of the accessories don't provide straight stat boosts like armor and weapons. They usually provide a secondary effect, like the Dodge/Evade skills or boosts to attacks of a certain element. The only ones that give stat boosts provide a percentage of your stat, which I don't believe is reflected on the status screen.

There are some accessories that give fixed stat boosts, but they'll always have it noted in the description (Like "+10 Magic")

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

AG3 posted:

Or if it it's region locked and you live in the EU, Day ~270.

Yes, I am bitter.

Well, so far it looks like Arcade only, so not even close to be guaranteed to come to US. Although I am thinking beginning of next year as P4A SuperPlus The Awesome Edition in Japan.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

DarkHamsterlord posted:

There are some accessories that give fixed stat boosts, but they'll always have it noted in the description (Like "+10 Magic")

Actually there are couple that give +5 to all stats. Either these or the ones that let you use magic skills for 1/2 points are normally what me and the team sport.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

AOTKPTW posted:

I think the ones that increase Elemental damage would say something like "INcreases by A little/a lot" and such, don't they?

Worst case scenario you look up what the exact effect is online.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Selling everything before the end of the game: when can I do that? If I'm aiming to end the december dungeon on about 20 December, should I sell everything off before or after I defeat the boss? I didn't unlock the extra marie dungeon.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

redreader posted:

Selling everything before the end of the game: when can I do that? If I'm aiming to end the december dungeon on about 20 December, should I sell everything off before or after I defeat the boss? I didn't unlock the extra marie dungeon.

If you plan to get the true ending (Marie's dungeon isn't required for this), sell all your stuff immediately before fighting the final boss. You're stuck in the TV for the entire last dungeon, but you can still access the shops by trying to exit the TV. This will be in March.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

redreader posted:

You can do it from inside the TV during the final March dungeon.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh! How do I get the true ending then???? Is there a spoiler-free way of telling me this?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Go to Junes when you're given the chance to talk to your social links, even if the game says there's no reason to.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

redreader posted:

Oh! How do I get the true ending then???? Is there a spoiler-free way of telling me this?

On the last day the game is going to tell you to go home, the game is over. Do not go home, the game is not over.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Cake Attack posted:

Go to Junes when you're given the chance to talk to your social links, even if the game says there's no reason to.

The original PS2 release was worse regarding that since you had to check the elevators twice to actually get the option to go there anyway (IIRC), which meant that unless you knew it beforehand you might never realise it.

I didn't even know the original had a True End until I read it somewhere by coincidence long after I first finished it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Since this is basically the Persona series thread, A sequel to Persona 4: Arena was announced today.. They're adding in Junpei and Yukari from Persona 3.

Location testing is running in Japan from Aug 16-Aug 18, which means that they're really far along in development.

I gotta admit on some level all this...continuity makes me worried. Like, above all I am worried that Persona 5 will continue the story of P4/P3 crew and that is the last thing I want to happen. The number one place where writers gently caress up is becoming overly attached to characters and dragging a plot out long after the story worth telling is over.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I just wish P4A was available on the Vita. I'm not buying a PS3 or 360 this late in the game, and I really don't do much non-portable gaming nowadays anyway...

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

I gotta admit on some level all this...continuity makes me worried. Like, above all I am worried that Persona 5 will continue the story of P4/P3 crew and that is the last thing I want to happen. The number one place where writers gently caress up is becoming overly attached to characters and dragging a plot out long after the story worth telling is over.

I agree with this fully. I hope that Persona 5 has been taking so long because it's completely new, and in HD.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I've been playing this off and on since it came out back in November, and shame on me for not finishing it yet. This game just keeps topping itself! Just had the beauty pageant event! This game has THE best characters and dialogue i've ever heard, i'm sure of it!

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

The_Frag_Man posted:

I agree with this fully. I hope that Persona 5 has been taking so long because it's completely new, and in HD.

I don't see them continuing the P4 story with P5. If anything they may do RPG spinoff from P4A, but I bet mainstream P5 will have different plot/chars.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I want persona 5 to have the same level of reference to P4 that 4 had to 3. Namely, I want a scene where officers Satonaka and Sanada arrest the new crew for persona related mischief. :getin:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I want persona 5 to have the same level of reference to P4 that 4 had to 3. Namely, I want a scene where officers Satonaka and Sanada and Dojima and Shirogane arrest the new crew for persona related mischief. :getin:

Yes.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Satonaka and Shirogane. :colbert::

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

That would be priceless. Also, we'll need good cop/bad cop scenario... but there is no good cop.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I still want to see a combined P3/P4 cast for the next game (or even its own spinoff rpg). I get that people are afraid of the series stagnating, but I think that moving the series ahead to college/early-adult life would itself breathe life into the series rather than setting the game in yet another high school with a silent protagonist and a cast of characters that are pretty much the P3 cast but with small variations. No matter what it ends up being I can't wait v:kiddo:v

KoB
May 1, 2009
Whats a Persona game without working through teen angst? We already solved all of their problems in 3 and 4.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

KoB posted:

Whats a Persona game without working through teen angst?

Eternal Punishment.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Is this supposed to be a reference to the early Persona games?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

RadicalR posted:

Is this supposed to be a reference to the early Persona games?

It's a callback to Operation: Babe Hunt from Persona 3.

In fact, I just now realized that it even mirrors the Arcana of the characters involved. :psyduck:

The Fool, the Magician, and the Emperor.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That whole sequence had me laughing pretty hard.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I forgot how much I really hate the parts where you have to gather information for Teddie. It's best to just look it up in a guide to get it over with, otherwise you have to run around all over the place because you don't know who to talk with. None of these sequences add anything to the game, but they are literally the one and only flaw with what is otherwise a perfect RPG.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I did like the part where you need to find the Rise fanboy without any real hints as to what he looks like or anything. The solution, of course, is to find the gooniest-looking dude at the school.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I said come in! posted:

That whole sequence had me laughing pretty hard.

Yosuke's anguished wail as his scooter violently detonates is really the cherry on top.

I say this as someone who likes Yosuke. It's still magnificent.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yosuke's anguished wail as his scooter violently detonates is really the cherry on top.

I say this as someone who likes Yosuke. It's still magnificent.

Personally it's when the camera pans to Hanako just as the music shifts. It's utterly brilliant.

I finally started P4G a couple weeks ago, and it is a ball. In the Shadow Lab now and I don't know why but I love that you can actually be in the mid-50s midgame when P3 had you trying to get there by endgame.

I've also got a second playthrough on the side as a bit of a challenge run - characters other than MC can only use skills gained from their Social Link or bike dates. Man, Yukiko and Teddie are a lot harder to use now, though I'm only in July on that one.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just finished this game at 74 hours. Holy poo poo. It's basically 70 odd hours of the ME3: Citadel DLC. Amazing game! Best JRPG I've played since Xenoblade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I just got into this game (10 hours in), and I'm just now on page 20 something of the thread, but I have two questions:

1) How can I see the anime, legally? (I'm in the US.)
2) Should I wait until I've beaten the game to watch it?

Thanks.

• Locked thread