Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

That henshin is a bit fruity what with it falling on their head with a bit of CG spray before unfolding. And then there's Gaim's belt which looks to have a knife on it poised to cut whatever's put in front of it (like an orange).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Xelkelvos posted:

\And then there's Gaim's belt which looks to have a knife on it poised to cut whatever's put in front of it (like an orange).

I too am unable to get why the Kamen Rider with fruit-based equipment has a belt that apparentyl slices a fruit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dickeye posted:

I too am unable to get why the Kamen Rider with fruit-based equipment has a belt that apparentyl slices a fruit.

To be honest the only part I don't get is why it doesn't actually appear to slice the fruit/pretend to slice the fruit. It just sort of sits there.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Rumor: 9 Kyoryugers in the opening next week

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dr Tran posted:

Any chance to see Ramires again is fine by me. He's a Senshi after my own heart, fat and beardy.

Do we know when we'll actually see #10 yet?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

jivjov posted:

Any chance to see Ramires again is fine by me. He's a Senshi after my own heart, fat and beardy.

Do we know when we'll actually see #10 yet?

The new toy usually arrives around episode 36, but Kyoryuger has been hardly typical in its new toy introduction.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
I've been watching a lot of W the past few days and I enjoy it more with each episode. Is Shotaro's street informant Nasubi from Denpa Shonen?

Dr Tran posted:

Source of rumor?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

toomanyninjas posted:

Source of rumor?

Not a rumor, it's on the official website (the pic with the 9 Kyoryuger).

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Ignis posted:

Opening also renewed more!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest the only part I don't get is why it doesn't actually appear to slice the fruit/pretend to slice the fruit. It just sort of sits there.

The front of the lock opens when you push down the knife on it. It's probably how they trigger the special attack.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Finally home from work and able to watch this. Holy poo poo I am excited for Padlock Fruit Rider. This is where I start watching Kamen Rider!

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.

toomanyninjas posted:

I've been watching a lot of W the past few days and I enjoy it more with each episode. Is Shotaro's street informant Nasubi from Denpa Shonen?

Yes that is Nasubi. He hasn't worked in television since then that I know of, but he's doing comedy at his hometown I think.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Burkion posted:

You know what show is just fantastic?

Kamen Rider V3. I loving love Kamen Rider V3. Dude has a method of dealing with enemies that modern heroes REALLY need to learn from. Punching every enemy, and friend, in the goddamn face until they loving explode. V3 is just a whirlwind of face punching and super kicks and it's amazing.
Kaiketsu Zubat is also amazing. Hiroshi Miyauchi trolls villains even more here than he did as V3.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I decided to start watching a more vintage Sentai series and went ahead and picked Maskman; is anyone here familiar with the series? I don't think I can stick it out due to the editing. Everything is crazy jump cuts, sped up footage, and nigh-seizure-inducing screen flashes. Does this get better as the series progresses or is that just how Maskman was made?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 25, 2013

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

jivjov posted:

So I decided to start watching a more vintage Sentai series and went ahead and picked Maskman; is anyone here familiar with the series? I don't think I can stick it out due to the editing. Everything is crazy jump cuts, sped up footage, and nigh-seizure-inducing screen flashes. Does this get better as the series progresses or is that just how Maskman was made?

I believe it gets better but at the time Toku special effects were all about poo poo like that. It was the only way to make some of the suits look good really.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

jivjov posted:

This didn't really stop until the late 90s. Kakuranger has a lot of this still.

Maskman is amazing.

Ignis posted:

Serious Abaranger vibes with King's ultimate form right there

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Yeah, Gobusters 31 and 32 were practically a giant ad for the Gavan movie, but I still thought it was magical how loving Gobusters of all series temporarily went all hyper 70's.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I want to see a Dekaranger 10 year anniversary movie where they team up with Gavin and the rest of the Space Sheriffs.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Perigryn posted:

Kaiketsu Zubat is also amazing. Hiroshi Miyauchi trolls villains even more here than he did as V3.

Well that's not even a fair comparison. After all, when it comes to trolling villains, V3 is only Number 2 in Japan.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I believe it gets better but at the time Toku special effects were all about poo poo like that. It was the only way to make some of the suits look good really.

HKR posted:

This didn't really stop until the late 90s. Kakuranger has a lot of this still.

Maskman is amazing.

Alright, looks like the solution for me will be to not watch older Sentai on my phone while in a dark room. It doesn't bug me nearly as much on my PC out in the living room.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Perigryn posted:

Zubat is the best show ever made and the second there are subtitles everyone ever needs to watch it.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Speaking of Kakuranger, episodes 36-38 are out.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
on episode 3 of ooo, and I'm digging it for the most part.

Gotta ask, am I the only one who feels like eiji is some sort of poor man's Yusuke?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Eiji's a weird character because based on the early episodes, and movies that were written and filmed before the series started proper, his character was originally pitched as INCREDIBLY different than how he turns out. He improves a LOT as the show goes on.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

The Blackest Goon posted:

on episode 3 of ooo, and I'm digging it for the most part.

Gotta ask, am I the only one who feels like eiji is some sort of poor man's Yusuke?

You're not, and parallels between the two characters are going to pile on from there. I think Eiji might have been designed as a bit of a homage character, "modernized" to have more wacky quirks and such. That, or it's just a side-effect of modern Kamen Rider only having like three main character archetypes to pick from.

Rei_ posted:

Eiji's a weird character because based on the early episodes, and movies that were written and filmed before the series started proper, his character was originally pitched as INCREDIBLY different than how he turns out. He improves a LOT as the show goes on.

Care to elaborate a bit? Honestly, my recollections of Eiji are mostly just this indistinct blob of happy-go-lucky blandness. All I really remember is that I loved him in the first few episodes but later on he just made me want to go back and watch Kuuga.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Eiji is actually a super depressing character.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I loving love OOOs. The more I think about it the more I think it's my favorite rider.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Eiji's characterization is sort of like, (sort of long-term OOOs spoilers, character-wise) what would you actually have to do to a person to create someone whose only desire is to give everything they have to other people. Eiji has so much success with the medals because his desire is actually quite selfish, but he's selfish about being selfless, he wants to protect EVERYONE, EVER. His need creating a bottomless desire nothing can actually satisfy.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rei_ posted:

Eiji's characterization is sort of like, (sort of long-term OOOs spoilers, character-wise) what would you actually have to do to a person to create someone whose only desire is to give everything they have to other people. Eiji has so much success with the medals because his desire is actually quite selfish, but he's selfish about being selfless, he wants to protect EVERYONE, EVER. His need creating a bottomless desire nothing can actually satisfy.

They don't exactly do much with this though, it's kind of just hanging there in the background and occasionally called up or pointed out without doing much to generate conflicts or interesting story angles with it. All I got out of it was 'Eiji REALLY wants to help people' which isn't really a unique or interesting character distinction for the main character of a superhero TV show. If I compare Eiji to either of his predecessors or his successor he feels incredibly dull.

OOOs really should've been Kamen Rider Ankh who can't access the power of the Medals without his sidekick Eiji.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

OOOs really should've been Kamen Rider Ankh who can't access the power of the Medals without his sidekick Eiji.

Eiji is really infinitely more suited to be a supporting character than the protagonist. He's even better in the movies where he just gets to show up and hang out as opposed to being the focus of the movie.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
They were going to do more with Eiji, I believe. Concentrating a little more on the fact that he has some pretty bad PTSD but fortunately or unfortunately the big earthquake happened during the series and that plot involved a lot of clips of buildings falling over and poo poo so they had to drop it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's also the fact that during the show's run he's the most incompetent main rider in the franchise's history and probably one of the ten least competent riders period(at least during the show, by the time Megamax happens Eiji has become one of the more competent riders)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Brother Entropy posted:

If Eiji's only purpose was to be a "sidekick" who actually holds the main character back people would hate him. As he is he's fine, a decent person who can carry the heavy burden of plot while his wacky friends take care of the comedy.

edit: Not to mention people complained about the show copying W too much as things were.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 26, 2013

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Eiji was a fine main character who never got a chance to stand out too much because of the rest of the standout characters in a fantastic Kamen Rider show.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

If Eiji's only purpose was to be a "sidekick" who actually holds the main character back people would hate him.

Eh, he might 'hold him back' but given Ankh starts off as a huge prick who doesn't give a poo poo about anyone but himself I don't necessarily agree that people would hate Eiji for holding him back and showing him that humans aren't all that bad.

Hell, that setup would make their tense relationship even more important; in actual OOOs it felt at times like Ankh was incredibly lucky that Eiji put up with his poo poo as often as he did given that he didn't really need anything from Ankh.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
TV-N has been redeemed in my eyes. I'm watching Shinkenger and just got this gem of a subtitle:

(yes...I am secretly 12 years old)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

http://www.orendsrange.com/2013/08/kamen-rider-wizard-eps-52-53-to-feature.html

I guess this is a good enough reason to catch up on Wizard.

Does the series get any better after Wizard kicks Phoenix into the sun or does it stay bland throughout the rest of it?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Decade needs to get a job.

That's pretty awesome though, I hope they get some of the past riders to reprise their roles in voice at least.

As for Wizard, I've enjoyed it myself but I definitely would not rank it in terms of story or characters near OOOs and Double which are still my favorites, and Haruto is no Gentaro. The fights are sometimes neat and I still enjoy it for what it is though.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
I've defended Wizard in the past, but 40-some episodes in I think I can say that kicking Phoenix into the sun months ago was the peak of the series, the only thing since then that sort of compared was Infinity. Just in the most recent episodes did plot really start kicking into gear, and even that isn't actually very interesting yet.

Wizard seems the most quintessential "if you have nothing else to watch" show. It isn't offensively bad or especially good, it just... is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

No matter how bland Wizard is, I will forever defend the basic style suit design as some of the best in the series. And the Dragon styles aren't bad either. Then it kinda got crazy.

• Locked thread