Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
287mb patch :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Flesh Forge posted:

Poison is still completely nuts. Here's what I've got so far (planned to 40 but currently level 26, this includes what I've already picked):

Crippling Challenge isn't on the lunge right now but I do like having it and I'll pick it up towards the end of leveling. I dumped the starter blast because I don't have any use for it. I think it's particularly telling that in Radiation Rumble, I pretty much always get aggro from the boss. Soloing this character is broken as hell, basically I just fly around holding down Epidemic. If a large group looks a little hard then I can open with Condemn, and by the time the stun wears off everything is dead. I am saddened that Fire Snake is so immensely better than Defile for debuffing poison resist but oh well, I have a green "poison gas" summon dammit.

Currently Mandrake is parked at the Stronghold, so if anyone wants to do that let me know, I'm gonna play another character a bit anyhow.

You're playing the build with an offense-passive, meaning you are going to do magnanimous damage. This said, Crippling Challenge is a tanking utility, meaning while it does decrease enemy stats pretty heartily, it also forces the target to attack you. Basically, if you're running on a team, healers and tanks are going to hate you.

That said, you could build yourself to be an off-tank: If you were to do that, Devour Essence really would be the way to go for your Crippling Challenge move, because it's combined effects (maintained attack, easy on energy, high damage, heals you, has CC) make it an utter aggro hog. The central positioning that using abilities such as that and Epidemic would place you in also guarantees that you get surrounded by stuff and maximally poison everything. On the other hand, that sort of build would require a lot of self-heal skills and survivability to compensate - the latter which can be gotten through active defense skills (making judicious use of that Int stat) or through high-grade gear.

As for alerts, pugs are surprisingly bad at making builds. One person who had Ricochet Throw and Gas Pellets, for example, was at the bottom of a DPS chart during a Forum Malvanum run - these are skills that are pretty much infamous for being horribly balanced and overpowered. He was doing horribly because he didn't have the statting or utilities to manage his energy, and was hitting people with his energy builder for the majority of it.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
Have there been any talks of doing the player created content like NWO/STO? I enjoyed doing this in NWO even if my buddies were the only ones playing my dungeons.

I think it would be pretty awesome to have it in a super hero setting as you can pretty much do anything and it would make sense. I haven't played this in a long time but it would be fun to make a small campaign with my own villains and events that unfold. I think it would bring some people in to the game if they talked it up so long as it wasn't gated behind a subscription or cash shop item.

I still have this installed so I may jump in after I get my fill of SR4, the super powers in that game made me realize that I just want to play dress up and run around in a city punching things, gently caress min maxing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Bluhman posted:

You're playing the build with an offense-passive, meaning you are going to do magnanimous damage. This said, Crippling Challenge is a tanking utility, meaning while it does decrease enemy stats pretty heartily, it also forces the target to attack you. Basically, if you're running on a team, healers and tanks are going to hate you.

Oh I know exactly what it does, I still just really like having it. I wouldn't even be using it in proper teams most of the time.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
So it's been a long-rear end time since I played this but last I remember was I'd gotten bored of just plugging away at Alerts with pubbies. Seeing as there's a couple folks actively playing now and I have to wait a couple months to afford SR4, I'm thinking of jumping back in.

I have a free-form slot from one of the old grab bags and a level 34-ish Power Armor DPS guy. Kinda wondering if I wanna change him up though. Would it be wiser to just Re-Spec or delete and start over?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Six levels (to get you to 40) is maybe 2-3 days of vigorous/poopsocky playing.

JackFlash
Jul 19, 2013

J3ng4 posted:

Have there been any talks of doing the player created content like NWO/STO? I enjoyed doing this in NWO even if my buddies were the only ones playing my dungeons.

I think it would be pretty awesome to have it in a super hero setting as you can pretty much do anything and it would make sense. I haven't played this in a long time but it would be fun to make a small campaign with my own villains and events that unfold. I think it would bring some people in to the game if they talked it up so long as it wasn't gated behind a subscription or cash shop item.

I still have this installed so I may jump in after I get my fill of SR4, the super powers in that game made me realize that I just want to play dress up and run around in a city punching things, gently caress min maxing.

Champions Online reps talked about importing the Foundry for a long time, but recently admitted that it'd be too much of a hassle and isn't a concern for them right now. No CO Foundry for at least a year.

It's disappointing, yeah, but that's how it rolls. The stuff used for Champs is just too old and would require a ton of reworking for Foundry stuff, I guess.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Could someone take a look at my Monkey?

Not really sure what to do to make him more effective. Uppercut is just there because I wasn't sure what else to take, Haymaker is mainly just for Trauma on the off chance I get stuck in an Ao Alert or something.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Cuchulain posted:

Not really sure what to do to make him more effective. Uppercut is just there because I wasn't sure what else to take, Haymaker is mainly just for Trauma on the off chance I get stuck in an Ao Alert or something.

Swap out either Warden or Guardian for another tree, as the effectiveness of pure Offense isn't that great. Good candidates for what could be in its place would include Vindicator, Sentry, Protector, or Avenger, depending on what you want to do the most. If you're planning to do some serious tanking, I'd advise going after either Reactive Strikes (Warden) or Retribution (Guardian), depending on which of those you want to keep.

While we're still on specs, you could perhaps swap the positioning of Constitution and Strength as primary and secondary superstat - Constitution's primary is awesome on defense, but is usually tailored more specifically for general tanks (i.e. ranged ones without strength). Strength Primary, though, grants ample knock resistance from natural statting. It also hits a whole lot harder, with a much higher potential for critical severity, and it has the Juggernaut spec - if you choose your equipment wisely and have high constitution with the strength primary, this can grant you anywhere from 100-120 extra points of defense.

Form of the Master likely won't need 3 ranks. Unfettered Strikes on Masterful Dodge isn't that great of a boost either. You can spend those advantages on other skills, such as Dragon Uppercut and and Evasive Maneuvers.

Should also mention that Dragon Uppercut is a solid attack all around - full charging it with a focus form (what you have) allows you to gain energy automatically for up to 8 seconds. That said, I don't think you need 3 single-target punches. Burning Chi Fist is the highest DPS charge-punch in the game, while Haymaker is mostly used for fun burst damage against knock-resistant enemies. One of those could be substituted for something like another self-heal skill or some other neat effect or debuff (howl?)

Hope that helps out.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

Flesh Forge posted:

Why don't I ever see anybody playing TK Blades? What is the secret lovely thing that I must be missing because the set is rad as hell?

I tried to do a Nemesis Confrontation with a couple of other goons earlier and uh, I walked out the exit right after getting out of jail. That was pretty irritating that you can still do that without any confirmation dialog -- you'd think after three years they'd do something about that -- but on the other hand COH had the same things going on at the end too with several years head start.

Overall I'm having a ball with the current state the game is in, it's pretty darn fun to be a superhero again!

I should dust off my old Disciple, the powerset is totally rad as hell, you can do so much damage that you cannot help but tank, as well as sustain yourself as a tank due to how easy it is to get heals through Ego Weaponry. Gonna lay out my exact spread below, but what I do is let your energy builder hit once every 12 seconds to keep the initiative debuff up (as well as a chance to proc Id Surge with the Incisive Wit advantage which is a mini Ego Surge) and spam charged Ego Blade Breaches and detonate the 5 stacks of Ego Leech with Ego Blade Annihilation when possible, while doing a 1 second charge of Telekinetic Maelstrom to keep the buff up from that whenever its about to fall off. Your damage will never spike as high as a Single Blades but you are energy positive doing so. If you want to burn energy before you swing your energy builder, spam uncharged breaches and annihilate your stacks. The reason why you normally keep charging is that a full charge breach guarantees a stack of Ego Leech instead of the 35% or so that the uncharged version gives, which keeps you energy positive. Also, save your Ego Surge after you get your first set of 5 charges to maximize your crit chance from the stacks of Ego Surge. Here's the build:

quote:

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...0000Cf00CIL0tid

Name: Lumines

Archetype: The Disciple

Super Stats:
Level 6: Ego (Primary)
Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Disciple
Level 7: Indomitable
Level 12: Agile
Level 15: Tireless
Level 20: Shooter
Level 25: Impresario
Level 30: Wordly

Powers:
Level 1: Ego Blade (Incisive Wit)
Level 1: Ego Weaponry (Rank 2, Siphoning Strikes)
Level 6: Ego Blade Frenzy (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Id Mastery (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Ego Blade Dash
Level 14: Mental Discipline (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Ego Blade Breach (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 21: Telekinetic Shield (Telekinetic Reinforcement)
Level 25: Ego Reverberation
Level 30: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)
Level 35: Telekinetic Eruption (Rank 2, Enhanced Form)
Level 40: Ego Blade Annihilation (Rank 2, Mental Acuity)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Rainbow Flight
Level 35: Teleportation

Specializations:
Ego: Mental Endurance (3/3)
Ego: Aggression (2/2)
Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
Ego: Exploit Opening (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Initiative (2/2)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Brawler: The Glory of Battle (1/3)
Brawler: Penetrating Strikes (2/2)
Brawler: Ruthless (2/2)
Brawler: Finishing Blow (2/3)
Brawler: Flanking (3/3)
Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Bluhman posted:

Swap out either Warden or Guardian for another tree, as the effectiveness of pure Offense isn't that great. Good candidates for what could be in its place would include Vindicator, Sentry, Protector, or Avenger, depending on what you want to do the most. If you're planning to do some serious tanking, I'd advise going after either Reactive Strikes (Warden) or Retribution (Guardian), depending on which of those you want to keep.

While we're still on specs, you could perhaps swap the positioning of Constitution and Strength as primary and secondary superstat - Constitution's primary is awesome on defense, but is usually tailored more specifically for general tanks (i.e. ranged ones without strength). Strength Primary, though, grants ample knock resistance from natural statting. It also hits a whole lot harder, with a much higher potential for critical severity, and it has the Juggernaut spec - if you choose your equipment wisely and have high constitution with the strength primary, this can grant you anywhere from 100-120 extra points of defense.

Form of the Master likely won't need 3 ranks. Unfettered Strikes on Masterful Dodge isn't that great of a boost either. You can spend those advantages on other skills, such as Dragon Uppercut and and Evasive Maneuvers.

Should also mention that Dragon Uppercut is a solid attack all around - full charging it with a focus form (what you have) allows you to gain energy automatically for up to 8 seconds. That said, I don't think you need 3 single-target punches. Burning Chi Fist is the highest DPS charge-punch in the game, while Haymaker is mostly used for fun burst damage against knock-resistant enemies. One of those could be substituted for something like another self-heal skill or some other neat effect or debuff (howl?)

Hope that helps out.

Thanks!

I ended up taking Uppercut and Haymaker because, simply, I felt I had empty power slots. Howl seems like a good choice instead though. Definitely going to change out Guardian for Sentry though. What specs would you suggest for Strength as a Primary SS?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cuchulain posted:

Thanks!

I ended up taking Uppercut and Haymaker because, simply, I felt I had empty power slots. Howl seems like a good choice instead though. Definitely going to change out Guardian for Sentry though. What specs would you suggest for Strength as a Primary SS?

Fortified Gear, Elusive, Tenacious, and The Best Defense are all pretty solid choices on the Warden side, while Fortified Gear (same specs stack), Twist Fate, Sentry Aura (must-have if your team doesn't have a healer with it already, not sure if it stacks but probably not), Fortify, Persevere, and Reinforce are good on the Sentry side. Everything in the Strength tree besides Balance is good.

Also, while your current choice of spec trees is good and should probably remain, I heavily recommend checking out trees with The Best Defense (100% of your Defense is added to your Offense) and Aggressive Stance (20% of your Offense is added to your Defense) the next time you make a melee character, these work off each other really well, and can net you some pretty absurd stats for relatively weak gear.

By the way, I noticed that a lot of people were complaining about their lovely gear/lack of good gear. In which case I heavily recommend doing the Nemesis missions, they're fun, they're novel, you get to design a villain, and most importantly you can use Nemesis Tokens earned from them to purchase nice gear that not only becomes available to all of your characters, and grants a 9% experience buff, but also becomes better with levels, so you aren't super gimped if you jump from say, 15 to 30 through shitloads of Alerts.

VVV Welp, serves me right for checking your build -after- typing all this!

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 23, 2013

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Fortified Gear, Elusive, Tenacious, and The Best Defense are all pretty solid choices on the Warden side, while Fortified Gear (same specs stack), Twist Fate, Sentry Aura (must-have if your team doesn't have a healer with it already, not sure if it stacks but probably not), Fortify, Persevere, and Reinforce are good on the Sentry side. Everything in the Strength tree besides Balance is good.

Also, while your current choice of spec trees is good and should probably remain, I heavily recommend checking out trees with The Best Defense (100% of your Defense is added to your Offense) and Aggressive Stance (20% of your Offense is added to your Defense) the next time you make a melee character, these work off each other really well, and can net you some pretty absurd stats for relatively weak gear.

I actually had Fortified Gear and The Best Defense twice in the spec Bluhman was commenting on. :v:

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Cuchulain posted:

Thanks!

The best choices for the Strength tree would include:

Swole - Extra HP works well for survivability.
Physical Peak - The extra efficiency with melee attacks means that you'll be able to put up a longer offensive, thus pumping out more damage and having your battles last shorter.
Brutality - The severity buff on this spec is insane - decent statting gives you around 21% extra, which, combined with other severity buffs from other trees, can give you criticals that do 2x normal damage or more.
Juggernaut - Though only useful if you have a constitution superstat, I already mentioned this earlier - if you have high constitution statting, this gives you an insane amount of defense buff.

The other good, but not quite best, choices are:
Aggression - Slightly related to what I said about double-stacked best defense, all aggression does is offer you extra offense gain on your items. While it's 'ok', if you're building around using one instance of The Best Defense, you're likely not going to be using offensive gear that has high offense statting; it's likely going to be set up for critical hits instead. Which ties into the next thing:
Overpower - If you already have a decent enough critical score (35-45%) you likely won't need to have extra ensurance of landing them. I'd probably consider it if you were using Form of the Tempest, and really needed to land crits, but you're usually better off with Brutality.
Quick Recovery - Pretty sure this is only valuable if you don't have any self-healing abilities (i.e. you're an Archtype.) I've never used it, personally, and its values seem very low - even lower if you consider how swole you're going to be from having Constitution buffing your health through the roof.

E: I did a pretty extensive look at all the spec trees, which can be seen here. That should hopefully give extra information on how each of them work out!

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 23, 2013

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

quote:

Aggression - Slightly related to what I said about double-stacked best defense, all aggression does is offer you extra offense gain on your items. While it's 'ok', if you're building around using one instance of The Best Defense, you're likely not going to be using offensive gear that has high offense statting; it's likely going to be set up for critical hits instead.

Worth noting, Cryptic Math is in full effect and Best Defense/Aggression actually scale off each other. So 100% of your defense goes to your offense, then 20% of that goes back to your defense, then 100% of that goes to your offense, and so on and so on. If you have both and open your character sheet, you can actually watch the values constantly updating for the first few seconds after swapping out gear. After that it either hits a hard limit on something, or the increments become too small to notice.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

Put Crippling Challenge on something that doesn't have a cooldown (or put it on more than one thing, that's fine). Nailed to the Ground is also a really nice advantage to have somewhere if you can fit it in, for cases like Valerian where she'll fly up over the party and people without flight kinda sit there and are screwed.

I don't think I would rank up Form of the Master - in fact for you, since you're using Invulnerability, I don't think I'd take it at all. Also Molecular Self-Assembly will only trigger when you throw the lunge really, there's probably a more effective choice. If you're using a lot of chargeup attacks then Overdrive might work better for you. Also for defensive passives, you might try plain old Lightning Reflexes, especially these days with all the high dodge you can acquire with gear.

e: For the various Forms, you only start combat with an extra stack or two of whatever the benefit is, and if you picked a smart onethe "do X thing to obtain a stack of whatever" is something you'll be doing in the first few seconds of any combat. I don't think it's worthwhile to rank that kind of thing personally unless you're playing slow.

e2: You know what, I've never actually taken MSA and from reading the description (6 second energy over time buff) it might be pretty sweet to have it firing every time you throw your lunge after all, how well does that work for you?

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 23, 2013

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

e: 155mb patch :toot:

I took out my 40 electric ranged tank last night and updated her gear from 2010 era to modern level 40 blue stuff, with rank 5 mods slotted. Me and Cuchulain did a bunch of alerts and wow, that was some fun tanking. Not even COH let you be a serious tank and yet have really significant ranged damage, it was pretty awesome. Orbit has a dumb build though so I'll be rebuilding more like this:

quote:

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...U002so7438W03Et

Name: Orbit

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
Level 15: Ego (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Hero
Level 6: Survival Training
Level 9: Field Ops Training
Level 12: Martial Training
Level 15: Covert Ops Training
Level 18: Sniper Training
Level 21: Jack of All Trades

Powers:
Level 1: Electric Bolt (Ionic Infusion)
Level 1: Lightning Arc (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
Level 6: Ionic Reverberation
Level 8: Force Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3, Force Sheathe)
Level 11: Defiance (Rank 2, Force of Will)
Level 14: Unbreakable
Level 17: Electric Sheath (Matter – Energy Union)
Level 20: Gigabolt (Rank 2, Death Arc)
Level 23: Inertial Dampening Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2, Evanescent Emergence)
Level 29: Rebirth (Rank 2)
Level 32: Concentration
Level 35: Nanobot Swarm (Rejuvinating Injectors)
Level 38: Resurrection Serum

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Jet Boots (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Teleportation

Specializations:
Constitution: Unyielding (2/2)
Constitution: Tough (2/3)
Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
Constitution: Armored (2/2)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Sentry: Fortified Gear (2/3)
Sentry: Precise (3/3)
Sentry: Sentry Aura (3/3)
Sentry: Fortify (2/2)
Mastery: Constitution Mastery (1/1)

e: haha what did I JUST SAY about ranking up forms, and I did it myself durrr!

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 23, 2013

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

e: haha what did I JUST SAY about ranking up forms, and I did it myself durrr!

IDF and the Ego toggle are the two forms that actually gets stronger when ranked up, so that's alright.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Finished leveling my Bestial Supernatural character that I've always liked, and retconned like this - I gave up a little damage but on the other hand she's now a very capable tank too:

quote:

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...H040mUA0CAT3SWh

Name: Feral

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
Level 10: Strength (Secondary)
Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Savage
Level 6: Jack of All Trades
Level 9: Covert Ops Training
Level 12: Martial Training
Level 15: Paramilitary Training
Level 18: Survival Training
Level 21: Martial Focus

Powers:
Level 1: Bestial Fury
Level 1: Shred (Rank 2, Penetrating Strikes)
Level 6: Frenzy (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Supernatural Power
Level 11: Aspect of the Bestial
Level 14: Pounce
Level 17: Massacre (Rank 2, Blood Mess)
Level 20: Resurgence (Evanescent Emergence)
Level 23: Rebirth
Level 26: Way of the Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Devour Essence (Phlebotomist, Crippling Challenge)
Level 32: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Rank 3, Voracious Darkness)
Level 35: Lightning Reflexes (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 38: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Acrobatics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Flight

Specializations:
Dexterity: Combat Training (2/3)
Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Slaughter (2/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

I know that pets are generally awful and worthless, but can they become at least bearable if you're using a support-based build? I'm thinking stuff like aura of primal dominion and suchlike to buff them up to a usable state, or at least make your team swole enough that it doesn't matter.

Also it's been a while since I played, are the pet-tiers still munibots and healbots lording over everything else combined?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BlueDestiny posted:

I know that pets are generally awful and worthless,

What? In my experience and everyone I've talked to on Supergoon who've used pets in the past few months, Pets have been actually pretty good since specs. Load up on shitloads of pets, take the Commander specialization, add some aoe buffs, then wreck up the place. Bonus points if you take the stealth passive power, and just stealthily lead your pets into enemy groups.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

A few pets are even good to have along in non-pet builds. I've got a Wind DPS dude with a smattering of gadgets, and he's got the healing drones and the bots that can turn into turrets, and both of those help out a lot, both solo and in groups. The heal drones even keep eachother and my assault bot pets healed up whenever I don't need healing. Not to mention teammates.

Plus I can switch the heal drones into a DPS drone mode whenever someone else has healing covered more effectively, so they're never rendered useless.

But a full on "all the pet powers" build gets really, really crazy at high levels. You have more pets at your disposal than Masterminds ever did in CoH(except maybe during Gang War... but yours won't be timed).

The control over them isn't quite as fun as CoH, since you can't make your pets dance or argue with one another, but on the other hand you can have robots, bears, angels, dinosaurs, demons, weaponized teddy bears, and armored golems all summoned by the same character simultaneously.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't really like pet management in general, but I'm thinking Aura of Primal Majesty with a bunch of pets and Presence as primary super stat would probably be pretty neat. Inertial Dampening Field also. You can passively buff friendlies kind of a shitload in this game.

Also the recent Telepathy powers (Mental Leech, Mental Storm, Mind Break etc.) are rather spiffy, I'm having some fun playing a character built around those and it's going well so far. You don't have the massive in-your-face DPS of Infernal but you have some interesting debuffs and gameplay mechanics to look for ways to abuse.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Kelp Plankton posted:

The control over them isn't quite as fun as CoH, since you can't make your pets dance or argue with one another, but on the other hand you can have robots, bears, angels, dinosaurs, demons, weaponized teddy bears, and armored golems all summoned by the same character simultaneously.

I'm looking through the Powerhouse site. I see two types of Robots, weaponised teddies, the golem's from Sorcery(Possibly the demons too), I guess Command Animals is the bears. I don't see Angels or Dinosaurs.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Command Animals has a reskin where you can make them raptors. :iia:

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Bloodly posted:

I'm looking through the Powerhouse site. I see two types of Robots, weaponised teddies, the golem's from Sorcery(Possibly the demons too), I guess Command Animals is the bears. I don't see Angels or Dinosaurs.

Ritual of Radiant Summoning in Radiant Sorcery for Angels. I think Ritual of Primal Summoning, Command Animals and Arctic Beast all have a dinosaur skin.

Edit: Here. http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Pet_Customization

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
...I ain't played this in years, and never got to max level. Don't know if the account's still there. And yet I'm looking at the various pet skills and trying to figure a way to make a pure pet build work 'from the beginning'. The safest bet would probably be starting in Shadow(For the sake of Lifedrain and Grasping Shadows so you've got lockdown and healing, as well as the Void Horror) and branching off from there.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Bloodly posted:

...I ain't played this in years, and never got to max level. Don't know if the account's still there. And yet I'm looking at the various pet skills and trying to figure a way to make a pure pet build work 'from the beginning'. The safest bet would probably be starting in Shadow(For the sake of Lifedrain and Grasping Shadows so you've got lockdown and healing, as well as the Void Horror) and branching off from there.

I just saw a wonderful Ultimate Power in an Alert earlier. It's mostly thematic, rather than an actual Ultimate Power summon, so if you don't care about how many powers you can have beyond all the pets, get MA/Fury of the Dragon. Summons a giant gently caress-off dragon. That was pretty sweet to see.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I've been playing with something ridiculous lately, a Ranged DPS Earth/Force guy. I've also been debating retconning him into a Ranged Tank Earth/Force guy.

Thoughts? Ridicule? Opinions?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Because it took me too loving long, and because I've been documenting my progress here anyway: The spreadsheet I've now created to better choose powers randomly. Omitting builders, 'starter' powers and tier 4s leaves me at 326 powers to roll my way into. Althugh that number is not omitting powers that I won't be able to choose, like forms after I've already gotten one.

I would like to extend a hearty 'gently caress you' to Martial Arts and Sorcery both, who are un-copy-pastable.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Cleretic posted:

Because it took me too loving long, and because I've been documenting my progress here anyway: The spreadsheet I've now created to better choose powers randomly. Omitting builders, 'starter' powers and tier 4s leaves me at 326 powers to roll my way into. Althugh that number is not omitting powers that I won't be able to choose, like forms after I've already gotten one.

I would like to extend a hearty 'gently caress you' to Martial Arts and Sorcery both, who are un-copy-pastable.

Your link is account protected

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

I've been playing with something ridiculous lately, a Ranged DPS Earth/Force guy. I've also been debating retconning him into a Ranged Tank Earth/Force guy.

Thoughts? Ridicule? Opinions?

I don't really recommend circle of ebon wrath. I don't see what Field Surge is doing for you at all. Wind Reverberation appears kinda meh compared to other energy unlocks, it only delivers a flat amount of energy once in three seconds.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't really recommend circle of ebon wrath. I don't see what Field Surge is doing for you at all. Wind Reverberation appears kinda meh compared to other energy unlocks, it only delivers a flat amount of energy once in three seconds.

Any circle you'd suggest for a over it? Arcane power is always good. Field Surge is just for the extra damage, and there's no other energy unlock I can really use I think.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I went digging on the CO official boards to see if anyone had a fun 'turn huge, stomp on poo poo' build to play with and the only one I found is pretty outdated. Anyone here want to take a shot at putting one together?

You can't get as big now as you used to be able to with that one crazy device(which turned you roughly the size of a building) but by stacking the Enrage size growth optional trait and the Miniaturization Ray thing's trait that turns you big whenever it shrinks an enemy, you can still get pretty huge. Which is fun, because, you know. Being huge and stomping on people is it's own reward.

But beyond those two I'm not really sure how to make it work as a build. It's been too long since I've built a proper character so now I have no idea what to take. I just want to make a Hank Pym style giant dude.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Booblord Zagats posted:

Your link is account protected

Whoops. It isn't anymore.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Kelp Plankton posted:

I went digging on the CO official boards to see if anyone had a fun 'turn huge, stomp on poo poo' build to play with and the only one I found is pretty outdated. Anyone here want to take a shot at putting one together?

You can't get as big now as you used to be able to with that one crazy device(which turned you roughly the size of a building) but by stacking the Enrage size growth optional trait and the Miniaturization Ray thing's trait that turns you big whenever it shrinks an enemy, you can still get pretty huge. Which is fun, because, you know. Being huge and stomping on people is it's own reward.

But beyond those two I'm not really sure how to make it work as a build. It's been too long since I've built a proper character so now I have no idea what to take. I just want to make a Hank Pym style giant dude.

Man, I miss that.

You can probably use anything you want as long as you have a reliable way to build Enrage stacks; I assume you're going for a brawler so Roomsweeper is probably your best bet. If you're willing to break concept a bit you can use Howl to maintain stacks between fights (you can also use Aggressor as a subtler alternative, but it's three times the recharge) and focusing on Constitution means your Enrage buff lasts longer as well. Superstats are STR, CON and INT for lower cooldown on Miniturization Drive and the forementioned Enrage maintainers. I don't know how far back you stopped playing, but the Might tree has its own offensive passive now if you want to get your clobberin' on.

I may have missed something since my knowledge isn't exactly up-to-date either, but I'm sure someone else can help you further with that.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Havok Stomp. Your AoE should be Havok Stomp.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I can't remember if it was Earth, but one of the brick sets have a bunch of powers that are ranged and scale with strength rather than ego, which is bad news for mixing it with Force. Make sure your numbers actually go up with ego before investing too much into that.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

That's a few of the Might Powers, Shockwave and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Cuchulain posted:

That's a few of the Might Powers, Shockwave and such.
I just checked the skill lists and I'm pretty sure the skill I was trying to get to work was Fissure, so yeah definitely check the scaling.